P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Jools - great place to.live Croyde (my surf board comes from there) bit of a trek for you to visit though.

John- shame re the NB, esp as they sold out so quick.

Hamo - looks like yr taper is kicking in too. No carbs yet, nothing out of the usual routine yet (apart from less running), although off the beer for a few days, might have a beer load friday night. To be fair im pretty unexcited for it at the mo, maybe thats a good thing.

6m inc 2m mp.
  • John - Nice long run and 800's. Not surprised the 10k felt tough in 29c!! I think I'll go long, unless I can find a smaller event.
    Hamo - Nice double today, are the legs feeling fresher now taper has started?
    TR - Almost there now if the race number has arrived.
    Jools - Sounds like a busy day, but cracking effort!! Yeah I normally do those sessions too fast, so agreed, I'll move on.
    Cal - I guess it depends what distance ultra you want to do other than the 50k and what mileage you'll do. If 50k will be the longest, you'll be OK doing marathon training, so could still include some 10k workouts in there.

Easy 6 miles today.
  • Morning all. Long time no post. I’ve not read back fully, so apologies if I’ve missed any big performances, but congrats to Macca on the TP100, Millsy on the 50 miler, and Hamo on the GNR and just generally continuing to smash it. Also nice to see NE posting again!

My running still isn’t great, and my past fitness feels further away than ever! The hamstrings are still not right, better than they were but still tight and achey. In the past few weeks I seem to have settled on 2x5mi and 2x10mi which seems to be enough stimulus without overdoing it, so I will probably stick at that for a while now. I'd love to be doing more, but with the current situation I’m in no rush. If I can get back to fitness for London in October 2021 I'll be happy!?

I am enjoying what little running I’m doing at least, and ultimately that is the most important thing. I love the sunrises this time of year... :love:

• Good luck Jools and TR.
    John, that sounds like a hard week, indeed.

Woke up at 3.30am today and couldn't go back to sleep. In summer I'd just have some coffee and go out at 5 (I always need 90 minutes for coffee, bathroom and warm-up stuff) but of course it's bloody dark now, and I wanted to do some faster stuff today so I ended up gaming for several hours before dragging myself out a just after 9am for a 7 mile fartlek. Notched up a few segment PBs and enjoyed the faster bits, although achilles was a tad grumpy.
    Hopefully that'll help my stride open up a bit.
  • Good to hear you're enjoying your running Spoons cause that's the main thing. Are you doing any S&C work to rehab the hammies?
    Agreed it's a fair old trek TR but at least I'll be in a beautiful spot by the sea. Her old place was closer but I always felt a bit cheated being in Devon yet so far from the sea.
    John Main target for the 10K is to beat January's 41:08 though I'll be aiming to go sub40.
    With that in mind I'll be having an easier couple of days Friday & Saturday to allow some recovery.
    Bike/run commute today. Managed to stay dry for the bike part not sure I'll be so lucky for the run this evening but I'm not so bothered about that tbh.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Spoons - good to see you are still plugging away.

Cal - 3.30 !! The faster bits sound like you are freshening up a bit.

Jools - hope the run home was dry.
  • Well it didn't rain but I was dripping with sweat by the end TR! 17K@7:36 average. The first 15K were 7:45s feeling easy & the final 2K was sub3 pace up a slight hill. Definitely working too hard to call it MP :/ though I did get the CR by 2s B) Legs & engine felt better than they had on Monday in spite of 2 big days prior whereas I'd barely run at the weekend. Guess lack of sleep + box lugging up & down stairs is tougher than running.
    In other news I just had a cancellation email from Cheshire 10K - so that's another one for 2021 now!
  • Oh jeez...just had an email from Dorney. They've stuck me in the 11am wave for sub-4, which I am only just, and then only once, and I dont' think I'm in Yorkshire form. I've emailed them to see if they'll let me run with the 4+ people at 10. 11am is way way later than I'm comfortable with.
  • At least it's still going ahead Cal
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work jools, start easing up soon though. The cancellations keep coming, im waiting to see what the likes of worrhing and fleet 1/2s do, autumn could be busy next yr.

Cal - you cant be the only one, did you have to put a predicted finish time?Although id rather start earlier than later myself. What time do the fastest folks go ? 12 noon ?
  • Spoons - good to hear you’re ticking over, plenty of time to get back your fitness and you can enjoy the process without feeling you need to rush it. 

Jools - sub 40 is a good target and you’ve put in the hard workouts and regular parkruns to prep for it. 

TR - he’s aiming for 3:20-3:25 so l’ll go out at around 7:40 pace and see how he feels at 20 miles. I’m even going to taper a bit and do my usual 5k TT this Sat. Good luck this weekend, looking forward to the report. 

Cal - is Dorney starting in reverse order? Strange but I guess they don’t want to keep the course open too long. Earlier start sounds better and you’ll have more people to chase down. No way I could run a marathon at 11. 
  • No it's weird. Sub-3 peeps start at 9. 4 hours plus start at 10. 3-4 hours start at 11.
  •  TR...beer loading sounds like a plan :lol: Nice 2 @ MP. I get what you mean about being unexcited, i'm a bit the same, half expecting it to still be cancelled if i'm honest :flushed: But the excitement will come for both of us i'm sure.

Steve...Yea, the legs don't feel too bad in fairness. Nice easy miles.

Spoons...Good to hear from you and that you are enjoying your running. 2x5 and 2x10 is decent weekly mileage to maintain at to be fair to you. Hopefully you can keep improving the hamstrings and really target London.

Cal...Nice fartlek running, sensible not to do that in the dark. The organiser of Dorney seems to be very helpful, so i'm sure you can get your start time moved no bother. Far better to run in a wave/time you are comfortable with.

Jools....Sorry to hear that, it's a real shame it was cancelled on you, you were a cert to sub 40 for me. Did they give any specific reasons for it? I'm guessing that makes the rearranged Wrexham marathon look even more in doubt now. Well done on the course record on strava, and always nice to hit MP at the end of a run, esp uphill. 

John...Good luck with the 5k TT. 

Like Cal i got my email from Dorney last night, unlike Cal i am happy enough with my starting position and wave. :lol: Start times are 09.00 - sub 3, 10.00 - between 4 & 6 hours, 11.00 - between 3 & 4 hours. Groups of 6 setting off in 15 sec intervals, and i have the 11th fastest predicted time so i should be off at 9.00:15 with people to run with and chase, apparently 21 people have predicted sub 2.30 so should hopefully be a good group to work with. 

The famous 9 miles with 3x a mile this morning for me. 3 mile efforts where 4.53, 4.55 and 5.02 so perfect for the range i was after. That's all the sessions done now, just to keep it sensible and get to the start line. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    John - running with yr mate will hopefully be rewarding for both of you.

Hamo - scorching reps. I like the sound of Dorney, could be a blessing in disguise if wrexham gets cancelled (which looks odds on), i was a bit concerned that you would lack competeion at Dorney, but it sounds like you will have some quick people to race. Its better for your chances of reacing your current potential if folks that can currently beat you show up.........im sure the excitement will come saturday, i then have 5 or 6 laps sunday to find the eye of the tiger........im running in discomfort a lot now though and every run has become a wonder as to how much and for how long, its not enjoyable and i want to ease off for a while after Sunday. But after a while on sunday im sure my legs will hurt more than my stomach issue anyway.

4m inc 5 x 30sec strides. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Spoons: great to hear from you again but sorry to hear recovery isn't any quicker. Fingers crossed for some improvement soon!
    Jools: great job on the CR! Nice 17km as well
    Hamo: good news re Dorney - pretty punchy mile reps there! Looking like the legs are in great shape. Dorney should be great for you with it being flat and smooth - if you find a good group to run with it could be really fast as long as you get decent weather
    John: good luck with pacing your mate at VVLM. Thats a good 10km followed by LR there.
    Cal: that is a late start time. Relieved my Goodwood is off just after 9am. Don;t like hanging about all morning for a race. Just more time to expend nervous energy. Good luck getting moved hopefully.
    7mi with 2@MP yesterday and a recovery with strides today. Still hanging on to this cold worryingly. I'm very snotty and can't seem to finally shift it b ut I have another 3 days to go...
    Really looking forward to racing now to be honest even if it isn't that fast I just like the race day excitement, especially with 2 marathons on consecutive Sundays.
  • Hamo - Nice reps and good to know there will be people to run with and chase down.
    TR - Nice 4 with strides.
    Jools - Shame about the 10k, but sounds like a good run to hit sub 3 pace uphill.
    John - Hope the 5k TT goes well.
    Cal - That's an early start to the day!! Nice fartlek.
    Spoons - Good to hear you are still running. No point rushing back with no big races around.

12 miles today with 5 miles at MP, was a bit windy this week, but splits of 7:01/7:04/7:00/6:50/6:46, felt good again, as wasn't sure after Tuesday's session what the pace would come out to.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Awc - agreed, you have more time to shift the snot yet.

Steve - another tempo? What are you following at the mo?

Had a look at the weather forecast. NW moderate breeze with 30mph gusts, how often do we get NW winds down here ? You couldnt make it up, thats the last direction you'd ask for given the track layout. The forecasters had best have another look.
  • AWC...you tried steaming your head?

Today was an epic fail. After the email from ATW last night and finding out I was in the 11am start, I've been pretty stressed and down in the dumps to the extent that I was even half considering pulling out. (I'm not thrilled about the cups either - I always shoot the water up my nose unless I stop to walk which I did in Vienna, so that'll cost me time).

I was supposed to run today but it was dark and raining and by the time it got lighter and drier, I had completely lost the motivation to get out there...or do anything at all, for that matter. I eventually forced myself to walk to Lidl for a couple of vegetables since I'd run out, but that's as much as I've moved all day.

The good news is that ATW have just emailed me back to say they've updated my time and will update the start page in a couple of days. So hopefully this means I can run at 10am instead. It's not perfect but I've done Liverpool which has a 10 start so I'll cope a bit better, I think.
  • TR - you’ve been on that car bonnet a while.  A couple more days on easy street then one big push.  I’ve just ticked over 3,000 today so have similar feelings coming and going.

AWC - same goes over the next few days, clear those passages (maybe not in front of people).

Hamo - top reps.  Inspired (and also following last 2 weeks of taper) I did the 3x1m today as well.  5.46, 5.45 and 5.40 so pleased with those.

Jools - more big days.  Sorry about the 10k, you must be thinking about tapering soon for IOW ?

John good luck with the 5k TT - I’m in a virtual 5k thing and every Saturday there’s a few Sydney Striders posting 5k times long before I’ve got out of bed.

Cal - hope you can get a start time that suits.  I think the NDW50 is full but volunteering at this years NDW might get a place.  I’m thinking about it myself.

Spoons - good to see you back and the canal pictures on Strava.  It’s good to race but if I had to choose, just being able to get every day for an hour or so would come first.

Steve - those sessions come thick and fast, Hanson’s IIRC.  Strong looking finish.

Funny old week,  I should be making my way to the Acropolis in about 12hrs time but a letter from school saying a confirmed c19 case in my lads y9 reminds me not to dwell on it.  However, I’m going to dwell on my beet it shots for a moment.  I bought a box for the spring campaign and just noticed they are out of date end of Sept.  I’m tempted to make some Bloody Marys with them and neck the rest for the V VLM, or maybe it should be the other way round.
  • Thanks for reminding me - I need to do some beet shots or at least get some beetroot. I always bought beetroot (the type in vinegar, for salads) from Sainsbury's and ate it pretty much every day, but I started shopping more at Aldi to save money and the Aldi beetroot is nasty.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good news on the wave change then. Carry yr own bottle, i am on Sunday. Ive done it in training though.

Macca - cheers, nice one on the 3000, im just short of that. Shame re acropolis trip. Lots of cv testing about here now too. Enjoy the beetroot. Ive some malt loaf and jaffa cakes lined up.
  • Hello everyone. I’ve taken a break from the forum (and Strava) for the last five weeks. I’ve thought about diving back in on a few occasions, but found the idea of having missed out on so many posts a little overwhelming. Silly really. I won’t try to comment, but can say how good it is to read about runners enjoying running. 

Having had an initial physio appointment that suggested it was unlikely I had a stress fracture of my fibula, a subsequent appointment and then x ray confirmed that in fact I did. However, that has been the extent of any guidance. 

Fortunately, a friend gave me a boot and his crutches. I stopped using the crutches a few days ago and have had the boot on for three weeks now. I intend to try a day of normal activities (well, not by this forum’s standards) without it this weekend. 

I’ve been keen enough to look up any research I can find - to give me at least an idea of a way forward. From this, I will hope to get to a point when I have five pain-free days without the boot. I can then do A MASSIVE INTERVAL SESSION: 3 x 9 min walk, 1 min jog 😆, followed by two days off. Fortunately I’m not in a rush! 

I have been able to do some WattBike sessions at school. The triathletes on here would laugh at my naivety and weakling power numbers, but I’ve really enjoyed getting into working at different (and specified) power targets. I’ve been using the Sufferfest app which has been brilliant. I don’t have the means or wherewithal to get properly smarted up and get on Zwift. I hope to run in the next few weeks, but if not, I think I would splash out. I feel like this has kept me pretty fit, sane and not too fat. 

I have, and am, learning a few things. In the past, almost all niggles have gone away with time and careful management of any faster work. Not the case this time. Important to recognise when an injury is serious. 

Also: people seem to really want running to be bad for you. Pretty much everyone says: “ah, that’ll be the running”. One colleague who follows me on Strava said: “I’ve been saying for eight years you’ll get a stress fracture.” I guess I’ll take that ratio 🤦‍♂️. 

And it’s definitely a lesson in not taking your health for granted. Doing day to day and family stuff was impossible for a couple of weeks. 

And: running is amazing even when you don’t hit targets etc. I’m really missing being outside (obvious really) but also seeing more places on any given day. Without it, it’s incredible how you just see the same few streets, office, home etc. And when do people ever listen to podcasts without running?!

I cancelled my Dorney Marathon place as it looked like it would sell out. Impressed with their customer service. Within minutes of an email, I had a refund of £35 of the £37. Good going on their behalf. 

Will try to read along more often and promise to not bore everyone with minute Wattage details. 
  • Well, shit, SQ. I suppose the good thing is that it's this year rather than right before a premium event. You've got plenty of time to get yourself strong again.
  • Decent refund from Dorney SQ Good to hear from you though shame yr news isn’t better. Fingers crossed your session goes ok.
    Top mileage Macca.
    Bloody love beetroot. Was just talking about my love of the juice this morning with my new landlady. Beetroot, carrot, apple, ginger & lemon. Drink of champions.
    Good news on the earlier start Cal. Would’ve been dispiriting starting late & watching everyone pull away immediately. You should be towards the front of your wave so a few folk to chase & others snapping at your heels to keep you honest.
    I’m with you on the snots AWC been hanging around. Feel ok otherwise though.
    Damn shame about my 10K cause my new watch came up with this today:
    Just got to maintain it for 10 days now!
    Just the 10K/5.5K double today - easy effort all round.
  • Jools - Sounds like you are in good shape. When is IOW?
    Macca - Good final session there. Yeah Hanson's (well my modified version of!).
    Cal - Good news on the wave change.
    TR - It's my modified Hanson's plan, has 2 sessions a week (Speed/strength and the MP tempo).
    SQ - Sorry to hear that, but good to hear you have been ticking over on the bike.

Will get out at lunch for an 8 miler.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: sorry to hear the bad news. I was wondering the other day what had happened. I love all the 'anti-running' 'told you so brigade.' Like they enjoy seeing us injured just to prove a point. Shame they've totally missed the whole history of human evolution and luckily their ancestors didn't decide running was bad for them. Anyway glad you have the bike to keep you sane and are on the path to recovery. I'm definitely with you on exploring new places - really brings out the sense of adventure in me. Let us know how that monster interval sesh goes :)
    Jools: clearly you are ready to go which is great news. Fingers crossed now for IoW.
    Macca: great running as always.
    Steve: great consistency - looks like the Hansons plan is going well
    Cal: hand't though on the steamer might give that a try. I'll try anything at this point!
    Still full of the cold - actually feel a bit worse today. Was really tired last night and went to bed early. Hopefully its on its last legs now - one last push before Sunday :)
    4mi recovery today - hardly worth stepping out the door but a few laps of the park is always nice on a sunny day. Should make the most of it before the sun goes.
    Am really looking forward to just getting Sunday out of the way now and get back onto the trails with some proper hills for the next 7 weeks before the SDW100.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    On a another note for those interested in reading - the Running/Movement Coach I went to see has just released his book which is a brilliant read - might benefit those friends/colleagues of yours SQ ;)
    Don't worry I'm not on commission :)

• TR...Cheers, yea hopefully get a few to share the workload with and more to chase. Hopefully the discomfort will ease quickly after the marathon with some down time, can't be nice, but a testament to your commitment/dedication that you have pushed through. Nice easy miles and strides. Sods law, but the weather men (esp over here :lol: ) are never right :lol: , so fingers crossed.

AWC...Nice MP and strides. You've a few days to shift the remnants of the cold is right, I'm sure you will. Showing off with 2 marathons in 2 weeks :lol: Agreed, love race day/pre race day excitement. Cheers, i'll have a look at that book, interesting.

Steve...Back on it with a bang, class MP, forget about Tuesday and move on. As others have said, you are doing some amount of sessions at the minute, bodes well.

Cal...Glad they have updated your time and your in the wave you wanted, they seem too be quite accommodating as far as i can see. Shake off the disappointment/shock and the motivation will come back, i think you are going to do better on Sunday week than you think. I started my beet shots yesterday too, i quite like the taste of them, cold eat beetroot all day every day.

Macca...Big yearly mileage. I'm sure you were pleased with them mile splits, and rightly so, class. The letter will put things into perspective i'm sure, but still not nice that you should be on your way to Greece, always next year, and it gives you something to look forward to during this s**t show of a year if nothing else. I booked Disney world for the kids as the same thing, something to get us through.

SQ...Glad to hear from you, but not glad to hear what you have to say. Not good at all, but at least you recognised the injury was serious and didn't try and push on and make things worse. Sounds like you are over the worst of it hopefully, and fingers crossed your session goes well...Can't be losing you to the bike :lol: Also, very much agree about running just to be outside and seeing the world is bliss on its own, and people just expect running to be awful for you, a nurse asked me the other day whether "i'd started to have problems with my joints because of the running yet?" :lol:  Good news you got sorted with a refund for Dorney so hassle free, shame though, could have been a thread mini meet up. And Cal is right, plenty of time to build yourself up again, the benefit of a global pandemic :lol:

Jools...Shame about the 10k is right, nice to see that on your watch, real confidence boost. I think your going to smash it in 10 days, and will have no bother maintaining that fitness, so no worries there.

6 easiest of the peasiest miles wearing a long sleeve top under my t shirt for the first time this morning...getting cold.

• SQ - really feel for you after you were building up so well. Sounds like it was pretty serious but that you’ve gotten over the hardest part of recovery. Good to hear you’ve got a plan for a slow return, I’m sure having some structure and certainty helps, no different from running really. 

Hamo - that’s a top quality field, must be the most stacked one outside of VLM. A fast time must still very much be on the cards. 

TR - that weather forecast is disappointing, you and Hamo were my tips for smashing out fast times. I guess the course is also too exposed to allow much drafting? Didn’t realise you also had stomach pain, weird how these things appear during the taper when you’ve been putting in massive weeks. Hope the outlook for Sun improves. 

Jools - sorry to hear about your 10k but great news about you peaking. Your taper should maintain that. Remind me which one you’re running?

Cal - good news and agree that you’ll have plenty of targets to catch. I hated school beetroots and avoided it for years but tasted it in a whole new light a few years ago when I had them fresh. Still not a big fan of the earthy taste of beetroot juice though. 

Steve - solid going, You should take a lot of  credit for keeping those weekly sessions rolling. 

AWC - another recommendation for a steam room or sauna. Missed that you’re doing consecutive marathons - what’s next week?

macca - Hopefully you’ll be there next year. Funny that you’ve come across Sydney Striders, they do the 10k races that I usually run and I’ve just joined them so I can do them. They pace all the local races as well, I have them to thank for my PB last year. 

4x2k this week aiming for around 10k pace.  Managed to hold the pace pretty well and averaged 3:49, 3:46, 3:45, 3:44 which is right on target. However had a 1k recovery between reps so very generous rest. Still its good to finish a workout and not feel completely spent. Looking windy tomorrow for my 5k, will do it on the parkrun course to get a feel for what shape I’m in. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Sq - i guess that was why you were missing. Hope you heal strong. Non running folks always want to find reasons to not run or that it will cause sll sorts of injuries.

Keep ejecting the snot AWC

Jools - because it has a crap optical hrm, ny gadget is always telling me all sorts of nonsense. It usually has me pencilled in for around 1.30 and 3.10.

Hamo - was defo cold here for running this morning too.

John - i have a long issue with something like osteitis pubis, i had to stop for some months in 2016. Ive managed it well recently but it came back around lockdown, probably more sitting, replacing my neighbours fence and maybe the faster paces.

Im still weather watching, its 40mph + gusting forecast now, ill monitor through the day, but im probably going to do myself a favour and bring my promised post mara downtime forward to tomorrow. Priority 1 was sub 2.55, priority 2 is getting healthier (in the absence of priority 1). Im sure next sunday will be a still day though.