Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Robert - That’s great that you are back on track ahead of the race

Shades - Nice 6 miles and that the ankle feels ok. My Achilles has been twinging a bit which I’m assuming is the shift from to the cliftons (though I used the Arahis for the long run to be safe). 

Steve - Nice mileage. I am running at between 10k and HM pace. How would that affect this formula? I don’t have a 5k time but my 10k is 44 so guessing 21ish
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good consistent laps there.  Weather is perfect out there this morning.    Achilles OK today?

Last night I was idly looking at running shoes and noticed that Saucony Guide 13's do an off road version, don't know if anyone on here has tried them.   Not sure if anyone has tried the 13's road version on here yet.

When I started running races the advice re buying off road shoes was that if you're not going to do a lot of off road and no tough stuff like fell, then buy Saucony's as they have a good multi terrain sole on all their shoes.   I'm sure that's all changed now.
    I only have one pair of GTS Adrenaline now in my training stable, they have a really rugged outsole which never seems to show any wear but they're crap on a wet road surface.

Steve - another good week from you.   I've not heard of the 720/5k calculation either.   No good for me as I've never run a 5k  ;)

Pilates was good, onto mostly shoulder work today.   Library on the way home, they've now introduced a track and trace system.   Although we can return and borrow books using the machines the track and trace involves filling out a form by hand, then putting the pen in a Used Pen box.  No concern really as I was the only customer in there anyway.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, achilles seems okay.  I could have ran today, but still feel that I need to be cautious so opted for the ride.  All being well I will run tomorrow AM though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you're up to date on the TdF, Shades?  Not wanting to give anything away, but I watched stages 20 and 21 live and it was brilliant sport.  Just looking ahead it seems the Giro and Vuelta overlap a bit this year, which is a shame, but obviously it's a very compressed season.  I very much enjoyed the TdF this year though.

Giro is:  3rd - 25th Oct
    Vuelta is: 20th Oct - 8th Nov
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's really good about the achilles.    Fingers crossed your patience paid off.

No, I'm way behind on the TdeF, but yesterday morning when I woke up the news came on the radio so I knew who'd won so am looking forward to catching up.   As there's so little sport for me to watch on TV I'll stretch it out.

Incidentally I believe BBC's coverage of London starts at 7 a.m. on the day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dingle Marathon Sept 2021 on sale 9 am tomorrow, will sell out fast.   Fabulous race.

http://www.dinglemarathon.ie/
  • Rest day and physio yesterday and a 4 mile recovery run today. I rarely run as little as 4 miles but I feel like I need a hard taper. Toby said he thought my QL issue was down to fatigue. It's still there this morning but it's not as unbearable as it has been so hopefully it will continue to ease.

Anyway, found out Manchester 2021 is now moved to October, so once again clashes with Chicago. :angry:

But that now leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with myself in the meantime. Do I a) concentrate on shorter stuff in an attempt to build some speed so I can grab those GFAs when marathons begin again, or b) go the other way and start doing ultras? (I know I'm already doing an ultra, but I'm talking about Spring and Summer next year). I'm quite tempted to put myself in for NDW50 but I think I need to do this 50K first to see how my body copes with it.
    There may, of course, be smaller marathons to do in the meantime...just not sure I want to be doing a lot of lapped events.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I guess you're looking for that spring ultra now that Manchester has moved to autumn 2021.

6 miles today, chilly fresh morning but good for running.  Got jumped by an over enthusiastic black spaniel, she was gorgeous.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, it's so uncertain to make any plans :(  We're supposed to be going away tomorrow but we're wondering if Boris may restrict travel in some way, so have been holding off from booking anything at the moment.

I went and did a MAF test today, and basically it's confirmed I've lost no fitness, which I'm absolutely amazed with.  Today was quite cool as I was out early, but very humid still according to my weather apps so I think broadly similar conditions to my last attempt on 11th Aug.  It was really busy with traffic down there today for some reason, and also a surprising amount of runners and cyclists which had a minor impact, but that's fine.  I have kept a very good weight so that's obviously helping and maybe the cycling has helped too, but I was expecting to maybe go back to averaging 9s overall, so I'm pleased.  

I think probably the fact I've not done much running the last 3 or 4 weeks and even when I was running through the summer I wasn't doing long runs is an issue for marathons, but there aren't really any events on my calendar anyway so I'm not too fussed about that at the moment.

The weather is due to turn with the wind picking up so I'm glad I got it done today in good conditions.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - xpost.   Well Toby's reasoning for your QL problem at least is better than full blown injury so you need to rest up a bit and be gentle with yourself.

Doesn't look like there'll be much in the way of big marathons in the spring, but at this stage it's not possible to know what will happen.   At best maybe there will be smaller marathons that are not all the lapped events, such as Boston UK, Taunton.   Shakespeare have got a licence for April next year, that's a 2 lap race, couple of undulations but nothing awful in it so potential PB course.

Shorter ultras won't affect your marathon times but moving to the longer stuff, like 50 milers could.   I did a 50 mile road PB six weeks before my current PB at Abingdon, but I believe you have to focus the training on one or the other, I had trained more specifically for the ultra.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's great news on the MAF test.   You obviously got the cycling just right, plus giving your legs a rest. 

Several other areas of South Wales on lockdown now so not looking good for a trip to Wales.   Their lockdowns have restrictions on travel, but not sure how that affects visitors.
  • Cal - Saw the news about Manchester too!
    Shades - Interesting that Shakespeare have a licence, I did the half a few years back, so might consider that one.
    Big G - The 720/5k time is a Tinman (Tom Schwarz) formula.
    Rcouture - I'd say that the 720 formula would be potentially too much work at 10k to HM pace, so maybe dial those numbers back a bit. 720 would be 34 minutes for you, so maybe somewhere around 25-30 minutes max?

12 miles with 2*3 miles today, reps were 19:50 (6:37/33/39) and 20:21 (6:41/47/52). Felt like a tougher session than last weeks 3*2 miles, disappointed with the second set, felt like I could carry on running but couldn't run any faster to get under the 6:40 range.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, we cancelled the Wales trip a few days ago, unfortunately.  At the moment we've got nothing booked.  We were going to book yesterday or the day before but saw figures rising and now waiting on what Boris is going to say.  OH is desperate to get away as she needs to switch off, but I'm more cautious to be honest.  I have found a lovely place in Lynton in N Devon, so it's a possible, but we'll just see what Boris says.  Pubs closing early isn't an issue for us, but we'll just see if there are any other restrictions before booking anything.

Regaring MAF, I'm really pleased.  I suppose if I'd kept up the running and not got injured I'd have seen an improvement rather than staying static, but I'm really pleased I've not gone backwards.  It's funny with the cycling as yesterday's effort was a hard session and I felt it in my quads on this morning's run, but obviously it didn't seem to have a negative impact on my test.  Most of my rides have been easy though.  I think a more moderate session was when I did a loop on the roads, and also I did a hard session with the Tri club, but other than that it's all been easy.

I'm not sure where I go from here currently.  I thick back in the spring/summer my 60 mile weeks is what got me my improvements, but I'm definitely some way off that.  I only got to that level as I was doing doubles, which I can't really do at the moment.  Maybe if I can slowly increase it over the coming weeks and maybe get to 35-40ish, that will be something, and then I can take it from there.  Obviously this is all at MAF, and if the injury flares up I'll have to stop again, so it's not easy to plan at the moment.  Any efforts I do will be on the bike for the time being, as I did enjoy it yesterday with seemingly no issues with the achilles, and that's a different challenge in some ways - finding the racing line on the track, getting the right gear/cadence, trying to get an aero position on the bike, going absolutely all out on each finishing straight, etc etc.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I expect Shakespeare applied for the licence a while ago.   I've done it a few times but I hate the Greenway, especially on the 2nd lap, marathon runners have a longer stretch on the Greenway on the 2nd lap.   But all in all a good race.

Big G - yes, makes sense to hear what Boris says first.   Lynton sounds good.

Re your training, yes a gradual build up of the mileage, no worn out shoes for a very long time, no running when legs are tired and you should soon be back on 60mpw in comfort fairly soon.   No more speed training.   ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding the bike track, it's not an oval, so you can see there is lots of braking as well as long straights, which I like as it makes it quite interesting, trying to find the racing line.   It's 0.93 miles.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I was thinking the same,but in terms of training for a spring ultra I don't think I fancy a winter of long runs.Think I will stick to my plan to target a HM Jan-Feb time if there is any.
    Last day of holiday today,managed to hit 42 miles last week and target was 40-45,this week 35 is the plan then just a couple of short ones next week.Need to figure out a virtual route incase Elvington gets cancelled.
  • Ian, that's the thing isn't it...dragging yourself out in the dark and cold in January...ugh.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few ultras are in the summer, so maybe target half marathons in the spring. Onto the longer runs in late spring/early summer.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I do have, ahem, "a few" pairs of shoes sat here unopened....so hopefully I'm okay for new shoes.  I've only ran in the NB (except the warmup and DNF in the Nikes) since the injury though, so I may have to try a short run in another pair to see how it goes with the achilles.

Well done on the mileage whilst on holiday Ian.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - just as well you're well stocked up on shoes then  ;)

Steve - sorry to hear the new restrictions will limit your wedding guest list, must be quite close to the big day now.
    Perhaps you can have 2 wedding receptions  ;)
  • Ian - That’s some nice holiday mileage. You are in Sardinia right? We have booked to go away in October half term to Sicily but who knows whether that will go ahead with the tightening restrictions. 

Went for a chilled 7 miles yesterday back to usual MAF route and felt like a big step change at 9:22min/mi which is my fastest by quite a bit and all done at 138bpm which is 3 below my MAF max. Not sure if it’s the speedier stuff I’ve sprinkled in lately that’s moved things on, or just one of these typical MAF jumps after a few weeks of plateau. Whatever it is, I’m now basically at what I thought was a crazy target when I started this thing all those months ago which is to be at sub-4hr marathon pace under MAF. Thanks Shades for getting me started on this!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Cal: ndw50 is a real tough one. I always fancied the sdw50. Hopefully a bit of rest will help.

Rcouture: that's absolutely fantastic progress! How do you feel about that pace? Is it easy? 

I managed 7k in the woods but we were struggling as the dogs were pains and I was tired as Noah didn't sleep well. My mum-day today so I'm busy with chores
  • Emmy - That sounds like a rough run, though I’d love to run with a dog (we have a cat). I went out to run easy and not think about pace as knew I had a tough (for me) long run on Sunday so I was surprised at the end when I saw the time. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The Lynton B&B got booked up so we've booked to go to Exmoor.  I am packing my running stuff but if I don't get to run that's okay and it will be nice just to be in different surroundings.  We were looking at Cornwall but in the last 24hrs everywhere we had previously looked was fully booked by the time my OH came home from work, so I think possibly quite a few were waiting to see what Boris said as now looking on hotels.com there's hardly anything left in the whole of Cornwall.  There are a few Airbnbs though, but we went for Exmoor and it's very nice around there anyway.  

I did try a run in my "usual" Asics GT 2000 and they weren't right so I turned around and came back.  It's odd as I've been running in those for years and they're my "go to" shoes as they're good for most things.  This pair are virtually brand new, but currently they're unusable for me due to the plush and high heel collar.  No harm done as I stopped very quickly and just walked home, so it's back to the NB for now.  I'm not sure if the NB would hold up all that well on any light trails, so it's probably just road running for the time being, which again isn't really an issue.
  • Emmy - I wanted to do SDW50 too, but the race is full for next year!
    Rcouture - Superb progress there.
    Shades - Yes another hit to our plans. Got some tough decisions to make now, but need to speak to venue first.

Easy 6 miles today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - elope, run  off to Gretna Green....as long as they'll let you into Scotland that is  ;) 

Rcouture - that's fabulous running, you've been so disciplined with your MAF pacing and it's certainly paid off for you.   Your MAF mile pace must have improved by over 90 seconds a mile by now, that is a lot.

Emmy - I hope your domestic goddess day allows for a little nap perhaps.

Big G - I expect the booking websites were busy last night after Boris's speech.   Exmoor will be lovely and not far from anything else on the North Coast, hope OH has a good rest away from it all.

Isn't that strange about your Asics 2000 shoes just not feeling right.   Maybe you will have to take the Stanley knife to one pair so you can use them.   I wouldn't advise any trail running until you're well up on your mileage, uneven ground even slight, like a camber will put additional pressure on the achilles.

Gentle Circuits was not so gentle today, usual instructor back and I just know I'm going to have sore calves and hamstrings tomorrow, not ideal marathon prep.   Step ups on a higher bench, that affects my calves and hip thrusts on the ball just killed my hamstrings.   Abs sore too after the crunches on the ball but that won't affect my running.   After circuits I only had 4 minutes so out to the car and quick slurp of coffee then back round to the front door for gym session, but they'd already let everyone in and as the woman doing the ticking off had already seen me earlier she ticked me off.   So I was standing in the rain for a few minutes until someone spotted me and let me in.   Did a gentler than usual leg session in the gym.   

Then off to food shop, my heart sank when I saw the number of cars in the supermarket car park as I so hope that the panic buying won't happen down here as it has in other parts of the country.   I'm not sure why folk are panic buying there's no change in supply and demand right now, muppets.   Anyway inside it was just the usual number of shoppers, I think because of the rain they'd all parked closer to the entrance and it made the car park look busier.   All shelves full.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - not sure if you've any marathons planned for October?

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Gutted for you about the wedding,cutting another 15 from a tight guest list would be really hard.
    Rcouture- I was checking the numbers every day before we went away and Sicily numbers were really good,only 9/100,000 last time I checked,20 is the borderline for quarantine so hopefully you can go.
    Big G-Have a nice break away with OH.
    Back early hours and car gone for its MOT so hoping that goes ok,10 planned for later,just waiting for the rain to ease.
  • Steve, that's crap about the wedding. I hope no one is offended.
    Shades - my friend Colin's folks live in Gretna (they're not Scottish, they just moved there) so that's where I usually go for dinner on Christmas Eve. Although it's looking like that won't be the case this year. Not sure I'll even be able to go to Colin's for Christmas but it's a few months yet so things may improve by then.

Emmy, I don't think there's too much difference in elevation between NDW and SDW...I've walked on the South Downs plenty of times so I know that's bound to have some challenging bits. Anyway, it's probably a bit too soon for me to be thinking about that. I'm starting to lean towards doing more shorter races as I have a finite amount of time for getting quicker over those. But I'll see how I enjoy the November ultra and decide then.

Big G, I agree about the stanley knife, but then I'm not sure I'd be brave enough were they my own shoes.

Rcouture - great progress! (Wish I had a cat!)

Shades, I have to admit I've slacked off on the lower body stuff. I was doing a lot in lockdown and particularly when I was injured and took time off from running. Once I started hitting higher mileages I just felt too tired to do anything much other than run. I do need to find a way to fit it in.
    I did upper body in the gym yesterday - that's something I can't do nearly as well at home. Was surprised to feel a little stiff today (I did increase the weights, mind you).

Woke up at 3.30am today and couldn't go back to sleep. In summer I'd just have some coffee and go out at 5 (I always need 90 minutes for coffee, bathroom and warm-up stuff) but of course it's bloody dark now, and I wanted to do some faster stuff today so I ended up gaming for several hours before dragging myself out a just after 9am for a 7 mile fartlek. Notched up a few segment PBs and enjoyed the faster bits, although achilles was a tad grumpy.
    Hopefully that'll help my stride open up a bit.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, yes, sorry to hear about your wedding plans.  Some difficult conversations I imagine :(  

Shades, no marathons booked at the moment.