Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good going joe, you have some speed.

Id made my peace with myself that 2:55 was off the cards, id turn up and try to hover under 3hr pace and drop out at the end of whichever of the 11 laps i was behind the pace.

Let the dog out first thing and nearly sacked it off there and then when i felt the wind speed, oh well just do a few laps and take an early bath.

4 runners went every 10 secs, my other 3 all shot off as i did a few easy miles, and i was soon on around 2.57/8 pace. Strange thing about today was that at no time was i running the pace that the effort level should give. The windy section was brutal, and got tougher as the wind picked up.
    I must have given an eastern european guy a tow into the wind as he then proceeded to share some of the windy sections with me (i defo spent more than 15 min too close to him). The laps ticked by and i was still on for sub3 but knew id probably slow each lap into the wind. With 3 or 4 laps to go i decided id finish anyway as i wasnt going to be too much over 3hrs.
    My hammys were twinging as usual and i usually get slowed in the last mile or so by it, but normally have enough of a buffer.
    At 2 laps to do i pushed on and left my helper behind, sub3 was very borderline. The windy section (best part of a mile) was getting tougher. With 1 lap to go it was very borderline, but id made a new friend and we ran together. In the last mile the hammy twinges slowed me twice but i got going again, sub 3 had gone, i had a way to get yet and my watch was already showing 2.58. I gave it some welly in the last bit and ended up with a chip time of 3:00:00 which is amusing me.
    A bit less wiggling through traffic late on, a bit less cramp or starting the desperation  dash for the line a bit earlier......but it doesnt really matter if i was 10secs quicker or not, theres life in the old dog yet.
    Feel ok without the persistant miles at a tough pace, my pace graph looks like a sawtooth waveform.

Lap system was fine, could have done without all the other distances on the course esp all the 5 and 10k fun runners.
  • Words fail me, but there's a well done in there. So 3 hrs dead the official time?
  • Nice one TR, tough conditions out there. You should have been signed up as the three hour pacer - round numbers are better anyway!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Chip time 3:00:00. One for the scrapbook.

Your mate parked next to me, so i spent some time with him before and after. He had a solid run, was 3.01 or 3.02

Dorney Lake 22nd Nov. 4 laps and no 5k or 10k runners.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bravo TR, that time will look nice and tidy as a fridge magnet. :)  Great effort in gusty conditions, no comfort I'm sure that tomorrow's wind speed is about 7-9 mph!
    Can't share a madras with you later as I had mine last night. :p   There are a couple of beers in the fridge though so I will raise a glass to you this evening.

Congrats on the pb Joe, good speed!

• Great stuff TR. Running is so much better when you can just get in the groove and not worry too much about external factors. Obviously today wasn't one of those days so cracking time considering. Enjoy a bit of downtime, i'm sure you'll be back strong at Dorney lake.
  • Sorry you didn't get what you wanted or what it looked like the training was indicating TR. Dorney's a bit of a drive for you isn't it?

You must be local to me rjr - I live about four miles from West Park. I'm too old and slow even when I'm not broken to take advantage of a potential running mate though unfortunately.

sj - it's supposed to be fun, if it isn't, do it in a way that is beneficial rather than detrimental.

Enjoy the beer Wardi.

Still managing bad knee issues and not able to run much. Just as well Wrexham was cancelled really as I'd have gone and had a go and hoped for a miracle. Need to somehow get through 26.2 miles next Sunday though for the pretend London. Feel obliged as people sponsored me for the Alzheimer's Society when I was supposed to be doing the real one.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Joe - agreed, there was nothing about even pacing or even effort today.

Wardi - no madras tonight, will have a few frothies later though.

LMH - im cool with the result i tried to hover just under 3 hrs, should have given myself more of a buffer, very difficult to judge pace and effort today, but might have slowed more if i had. Dorney is same distance as Abo (approx 75m) and similarly is all motorway, so LT 90min. Shame you are still havng issues, hopefully next year you can get back to sub3 fitness.
  • LMH - It's around an hour away for me. Just happened to be a quick course that was midway between the two of us. With the whole company having worked from home for a number of years we're a well spread team. Too cheeky to cycle 26.2?

On the running mate front I have been able to put myself on the waiting list for my local club, which would be by far the most convenient so it's a start. I'm not a bad self motivator but i'm sure some of my longer runs would be better with company. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Joe - thats sharp  acracking 10k and chapeau for the creative race type environment, I've done that a few times  and its always worked for me being the chaser not the chased. Not sure how it feels the other way round. 
    LMH - its going to be a strange one next Sunday isn't it?. As we need to run with the App, debuted running with my phone, music and headphones this morning. Got used to after 8 miles.
    TR - Steve ran 3.01.09  a cracking run from him too. He enjoyed your pre race chat. Looks like we will all be heading to Dorney in late November. Sub 3s all round. Rest well now. I've run 3.00.11 so know the mixed feeling of positively running really well but having that slight sense of missing out. 
    8 today, 28 for the week, good to be running again and thoughts now how to approach next Sunday VLM  probably treat as a long training run with added logistics (which secretly I relish). 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    OO - its a date then. Im not too bothered with the time, i turned up intending to drop out. I feel pretty good due to the lack of constant effort. Today was a running festival on an exposed airfield. On a still day in London Village next weekend id have been loads quicker.......trouble is Dorney can get windy, id be pretty unlucky to cop another day like today, although i copped the worse day Brighton have had too.
  • Respect, TR. Sounds tough.  On a lighter note, if you'd tried to run that time exactly you'd have failed...!

Work has been a bit busy, but took Friday off to go and get civil partnered to Mr Jools. Just our parents present and who knows when we can have the party for extended family and friends...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - you're not wrong. Congratulations to you and Mr Jools.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Quick pop in to say TR, great effort and at least your not a poor sod running that time who has been chasing sub 3 for years. Are you going again in November? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers DT, yes Dorney in 8 wks. I did Yeovil with LMH last yr 8 wks after Brighton, 2 wks recovery, 4 wks on it, 2 wks taper. Theres a sub 2:55 in there on a better day. That will count as a gfa too, today was too early.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Also dropping in to say well done to TR - very tough conditions with the wind and running on your own for a lot of the way.  Well done on towing the line and getting a decent result - don't forget to check out your PO10 ranking.  Hopefully you'll have better conditions at Dorney and can nail a time that reflects your training. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - see you there?
  • Congratulations Joolska!

I would sleep even worse if I cheated rjr.

Good that you're happy with it TR. That's the important thing.

OuchOuch - I don't own a smartphone so won't be running with one.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    TR, yes 8 weeks is a reasonable recovery, pick up, taper period. Why will that count as GFA and today won't?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    DT - im sorted for 2021. But 2022 gfa starts next weekend?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The period usually runs from January to the following year's August so London 2022 will want times from January 2020 to August 2021. 
  • edited September 2020
    They've changed it, DT19.  From the website:

2022 and 2023 qualifying periods

The qualifying period for the 2022 London Marathon will begin on 5 October 2020 and end on 3 October 2021.

The qualifying period for the 2023 London Marathon will begin on 4 October 2021 and end on 30 September 2022.

• So no overlapping and none of the old situation whereby one result could count for two years' entry.  They've changed championship qualifying dates as well to a single year.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Interesting on the change to the qualifying period - given the lack of races in the spring, qualifying for 2022 could be tricky!  Dorney in November is beginning to sound attractive.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    that is interesting. Looks like London 2021 is last chance saloon date for GFA the following year. I'll need to find something early in 2021 somehow!
  • I suspect that if these Goodwood & Dorney races go without a hitch, there'll be plenty of similar relatively low-key marathons in the spring to chose from.  All those organisers who put on pre-London/Brighton HMs will offer a full distance option.  Even if it's multiple laps of airfields and rowing lakes!
  • As long as there's a few runners of a similar standard I think the low key events are quite good. Clearly not the same atmosphere but I think most of us are motivated by time as much as anything anyway. Can be quite nice parking close to the start and feeling confident you can go to the toilet pre race!

A week of slower running this week to start building up the mileage. I've been operating at around 30 miles a week but probably need more like 50 to give a half a good shot. 7.5 miles today, beautiful weather, feeling very much like the last throw of summer.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yes I am trying to enjoy what may be the last warm days Joe.  34 enjoyable miles on the bike yesterday and I'm heading out with the club soon which should be circa 8m.

DT19.. after your 'close but got the cigar' sub 3 from a year or two back have you managed to knock a chunk off that since?

Sorry to hear you are still struggling LMH.

TR.. enjoy the downtime and some nice grub and beers.

Many congratulations to Jools & Mr Jools.  I hope you get to have your major party/celebration in the not too distant future.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, get an early gfa in just in case vlm goes wrong on the last day of the qualifying period.

Joe - i like the logistics of smaller races for sure.

Few days off here, my body needs it. Got some tight hammies from all the leaning into the wind.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Wardi, yes I followed up at vmlm 19 with 2.57, I even negative split. I was going well for this years until I got a stress fracture in my back. Good for sub 2.55, then a week later everything cancelled. 10 weeks of no exercise at all to June and now just closing back in on decent fitness having started a slow return in July and picking it up over August and September. 

Yep, I'm all for low key early gfa banking for sure!