My Last Run

Comments

• Interesting speedwork JD, can imagine that picking up the pace again for the final 10k paced mile is tough. Nice follow up on the other days too.

Wise to rest up a bit during the taper Cal, especially if conditions would not be good for an attack on a 5k anyway. 

Annoying regarding the bridge LTT. Running to the sea does sound nice though. 10 miles is a good distance I agree with Cal. Easier to cope with pace than a 10k and shorter than a HM.

Hope GD and swittle are ok.

Short recovery yesterday evening of 3 and a bit miles. Timing to avoid a soaking quite difficult with regular heavy showers. Nipped out after one but was caught by the next.  With remps of around 8 degrees, a brisk breeze and the rain I promptly got cold hands -not looking forward to that again. 

Similar conditions today but felt less cold as running at a faster pace. WU including 4 x strides, then 2 sets of 5 x 200m with jogged returns, with 4 mins in between sets.  Rarely do short and sharp speedwork so not really any idea of how. More or less constant though and tired on last rep so probably got the effort about right. CD involved jogging past a field of cannabis plants - haven't got used to the smell yet!
  • Blimey, Hazelnut...I smell weed a lot on my runs but I can't imagine running past a field of them.

Got my fat arse out at 6:30 for my last longish run before Dorney. I aimed for 10 but with the route I took, it ended up being 11. I did a truncated version of the Thames Path run I did a couple of weeks back - ran down to Battersea, through the park then along the Thames to Wandsworth. Instead of continuing there, though, I turned off after crossing the mouth of the Wandle, crossed all the nasty big roads (fortunately I managed to make it across without stopping) and then up through St George's park, along the Wandle for a bit then back home via Tooting.
    It was definitely windy and I had to run into for a bit along the Thames, though it was no way near as strong or relentless as the headwind I had to deal with at the end of Liverpool Marathon last year. Which was a blessing.
    I slowly increased my pace from easy to what I term steady, and did miles 9 and 10 at 9:50 pace, then 9:59 for the last mile (which included a hill, then a stretch into the wind on Balham High Road).

Fairly happy with it - legs feel a bit better now but I still have niggles and QL was noticeably worse after I finished the run. It doesn't seem to like the running, even when I'm paying more attention to my form, which I was today.

Anyway, that's me done - will do two or three shorter runs during the week and then it's showtime.
  • I guess that it is a low THC and high CBD variety Cal, i.e. not interesting to smoke. Seen/smelt quite a few small fields of it this year for the first time. Good last longer run, time for feet up other than a few shorties to keep things ticking over indeed.

12.5 yesterday. Any plans for a standard flattish start easy and finish faster run were scrapped due to the windy conditions, instead I added in some extra hills having neglected those a bit. Initially undulations with a frisky tailwind for assistance but on the return leg one nasty climb up and down. Few people out even though it was Sunday afternoon and the rain had stopped. Saw a green woodpecker fairly close up and a small herd of red deer on the edge of a field of wilting sunflowers. Couple of stops for trains, drinks and a meeting with OH on a shorter run to briefly discuss post run refreshments.
  • Looks like my ankle/heel is going to be an issue.
     6 miles tonight, hurt all the way. Pretty much in disbelief that after hundreds of pounds of physio, three months recovery and strengthening I've done one race and hurt the other ankle. Will take ANOTHER week off and cross eveything. I really am not cut out for this it seems.

Good running all, sounds nice where you live Hazlenut, I've only seen deer whilst running in wales. 

Sounds a nice run Cal, do you ever see anyone fishing the thames?  I'm going up to London for a lads meet up/drinking day soon.  I want to go to Chinatown and go on a riverboat, but the suggestions were met with a fairly muted response.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    It's nice to see a green woodpecker, Hazelnut...I've seen a few in London but they can be quite elusive. I have to go to Richmond or Bushy park if I want to see deer, though.
    How frustrating, Linton - could you be overcompensating, maybe?
    I see more people fishing on my local commons - it's allowed as long as they put the fish back. I saw one guy with an absolutely enormous carp recently - I had no idea the fish in my local pond were that big. Not surprising I see quite a few herons around here.
    A riverboat sounds like a nice idea - I've done it a few times - but it sounds like your lads are more interested in the drinking part. There are party boats where you can do both, mind you.

I was feeling rough yesterday but fortunately plenty of vitamin C and a nap seemed to put me right, so I was able to run today. Went out in the dark and the first few miles were painfully slow - I guess I need to get used to running in the dark again because I'm really bad at it, even though I stuck to main roads initially. It was drizzling so the lights reflecting off the pavements messed with my head a bit.
    It was a bit lighter after two miles so headed for Tooting Common - still rather slow, so I injected some strides into my final mile (it was a 5 mile run) to open my stride up a bit as it's very short at the moment.
    Achilles not bad at all...QL still noticeable but it's been worse.
  • All well here thanks Hazelnut, just been remarkably busy at work. One project goes live this weekend and three others are starting to draw more on my time. Coupled with that I have another one where I'm trying to complete documentation without having a clue of what the process is that I'm documenting. Hey ho. Did you feel any benefit from running past a field of cannabis? Apart from the munchies? And well done on the speed work, 200m used to be my favourite distance when I was at school.

Sounds as if you've been putting in the mileage, Cal. Hopefully the niggles will ease and you'll be fine for the event. As regards to getting quicker I think you've still got it in you. I'm not sure where the drop off would be in terms if age or fitness, but I've definitely improved over the last few years. Although that may be coming from a slow base.

That is very frustrating, LTT. As Cal says is it possible that you've overcompensated? 

Runs have been done over the last couple of weeks, although not with the same intensity as we were doing previously and that's left me with a distinct feeling of laziness as we've not done the speed sessions recently. We did the 'bubble' run last Tuesday with 3 others from the club. Met at Hove Park and did a circuit there before moving on to Hove Rec for a circuit there and then headed down towards the seafront, turning east and heading towards the i360 then back on ourselves. Eventual distance was a touch over 10K and nice to run with people we'd not seen for a while. Noticeable that we are now running in the dark on these runs and it's the first time the head torch made an appearance. 

Saturday we were torn between doing a fast virtual 5K or just a jog. The format of the 5k series is a benchmark time, which due to my quicker times during the earlier series has meant I'm never going to score enough points. So the last couple of weeks have been more about finding routes for the 'bubble' run than speed. This time we just lapped Hove Park with no real plan in mind. We could easily have stopped after 3 laps, but carried on and completed 10K, although it's fair to say neither of us particularly enjoyed it. I think the autumnal cold took us rather by surprise and it was a while before my muscles warmed up.

Sunday we decided on a 10 miler along the Adur. The outlap had us stopping at Botolphs for a quick catch-up before heading towards Bramber. However, we decided to try a different route and cut off along another path, which ultimately took us back to Botolphs and would have meant we were short on our run, so we did the circuit again. We were going into a fairly stiff headwind, but the pace was about 9:15 min/miles. As we headed back I made the point about the wind now being behind us. 
    "So it's a long slow run" 
    "Yes" 
    "So lets not get carried away with the wind behind us"
    "Yes"
    At the end.
    "OK, talk me through 8:20 and 8:18 for the last two miles!"

I blame the fact I bought her the new Vaporfly Next% Tempo for her birthday. Still, in the arms race we will be equal as it's my birthday next week.
  • Another 'bubble' run yesterday evening taking in the delights of Hangleton. The run leader was looking for a new house so the route took us round various residential streets and a number of stops for a quick look at a likely property. Did throw up the idea for a TV show; 'Property Run', where participants have to jog between properties. You don't get that on Location Location Location.

The run itself was about 10K and interesting as it took me to an area I didn't know at all. Even starting at 18:45 we're now starting in dusk and it's completely dark by the time we finish. Although it's not a problem as we are now in headtorch territory I'm slightly wary of running more on the street especially where street lighting isn't brilliant.

Tomorrow we've signed back up for a speed session. Which should be fun.
  • That's a nice present, GD...is she going to reciprocate then?

4 mile plod this morning then went to the gym a bit later to do some upper body (no lower body before marathon!) I had thought I might do a slightly longer run with some MP miles, but I was so slow over the first couple of miles that I realised body was not going to like going from 11+ min/mi to 9 in short order. So I decided I'd do that one tomorrow, after going out a bit later. I am a hell of a lot slower at 6-7am than I am at 9am.
  • Good idea not to do legs in the gym, Cal. Best to save them. And I'm not sure anyone is good at 6-7am compared to 9am. There must be a reason why races start later on.

She has reciprocated. Well actually I bought them at the same time I bought hers, she just transferred the money over. It's a very romantic arrangement  :D
    I may save these for proper events and speedwork.
  • Good to see you back GD.  Like the shoe pressies and house hunting on the run.  You should be ok running in the dark with a headtorch but maybe back it up with a high-viz vest?  Some good running outings.

Frustrating LTT.  Hope your jaunt to London takes your mind off it a bit.  Take care.

Good luck with the MP miles tomorrow Cal.  Sensible to stay off the leg work at the gym.

Routine runs for me the last 3 days, 3 mile short recovery on Monday, 6 mile group yesterday and another 5 recovery this evening as was out hiking today and no time or inclination for more.  6 month streak done and might as well keep it going for now.  
  • That is an amazing streak, Hazelnut. I guess when you're on something like that then the will to not break it is incredibly strong. Have you worked out how many miles you've done? 

Pyramid session last night which is the first speed session I've done for a few weeks and so met with some degree of trepidation, especially as there were a couple of very competitive runners in the group (not including me  ;) ).

The format was roughly 200m sections going from 200m, 400, 600 and 800 before going back down again. Tried to keep the pacing even, which on the 800m stretch was a struggle and although I finished very much in the middle of the group I was a good 100m behind the faster runners. However on the shorter stints I managed to be up at the front and on the last one managed to blast past one of the stronger guys, which I was pleased with. Sobering thought that my sprint pace is probably still going to be slower than the elite guys are going to be doing for the full marathon distance on Sunday.
  • GD, she sounds like a keeper.
    I couldn't run 100m at Kipchoge's MP. In fact I probably wouldn't manage 10m without falling flat on my face.

Blimey, Hazelnut...I actually didn't realise you were streaking. I don't think my mind or body would care for it much, but fair play to you.

Well conditions are not nice today - wet and windy - but since I didn't run yesterday I had to lump it. I didn't go out until 9:40 which is late for me, but good practise for my race on Sunday at least. I decided I'd just do four miles as I didn't want to be out in that weather any longer than necessary, so two miles to warm up and then two miles at what should have been MP, but I didn't manage to hit it (9:20/9:19). Not going to beat myself up for that as it was windy and I had to be careful on some of the surfaces (a few lumps and bumps, slippery bits and some tight corners.
    I've decided I will stick with my Vaporfly flyknits for Dorney - as tempting as the Alphas are, I've not yet run in them so, even if I jogged around the block in them between now and then, that wouldn't tell me if they were likely to cause blisters or foot aches over a longer distance.
    Question is, do I use my Vapors that have 107 miles on, or do I use the fresh pair I bought in the Black Friday sales last year?
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    4.2 miles, lots  of lower leg pain, but got home. Physio again by the looks of things, at least someone' s going to have a good financial year. Off to buy a bike at the weekend.

Great streak Hazlenut and great training Guardog. Are you guys watching the marathon Sunday?
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Bekele out. That sucks. Still, could be a good race.
  • Yeah, that's not good. Kipchoge's job got a lot easier.
  • Nice pyramid Session GD. Must try something similar out soon.

Wise not to do a mara in untested shoes Cal. I would go with the used pair of Vaporflys.  Trying conditions for the MP test, hope you get better on Sunday.

Not good on the leg LTT. Would take that off to the physio. You might get a decent deal on a bike at this time of year.

Shame about Bekele and agree on the pace - they make it look so easy too.

Streaking just happened towards the beginning of lockdown. I was running 6 days a week anyway and shoving in a short recovery on the 7th didn't seem too big a thing. There are days I could do without lacing up on but few so far and I generally feel better for having been out as I've not been doing much else. Not having many races to taper and recover from has also helped. I will break it atsome point and don't have a target in mind - we will see. 1385 miles so far.

Decent start to October: 8.9 miles yesterday with a faster 5k towards the end (was downhill though), and 8.3 today with a bunch of hill sprints (6 molehill shuffles) and a bunch of 8 strides. Bit tired after a hilly hike on Wednesdaybut ok once I got going. 
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Good luck tomorrow Cal! Take what you can out of this very special race and especially marathon year.
    11.4 miles in 1:42 today on an undulating route taking advantage of sunshine this afternoon after a night and morning of heavy rain. Left the skies very clean and surprisingly little surface water to splash through. OH joined me for the first 3 miles before turning off on a return loop which was nice to take my mind off of initially unwilling legs. Hunting season ongoing here so have to be cautious about woods and fields on Saturdays but other than a couple of distant shots nothing heard or seen.
  • I am back, originally iRun back many moons ago when I started this board. Well I'd like to register my run yesterday in the pouring rain.
    3.37m - 29m:59s
    Mostly Cloudy, 14°C, Feels like 14°C, Humidity 78%, Wind 8mph from SSW - by Klimat.app

I started at a slow pace but I seemed to pick up along the way. pleased to have run under 30 minutes!
    Still have a niggle in my right knee but nowhere near enough to stop me today. There was no way I was going to run this morning as the weather was shite. This evening it was clear, fresh and a gentle cool breeze. Very nice indeed. It was nice to get a ru8n in after 4 days. As expected, not too many people out and as I was Maya free I took the chance to road run. I ran up to the BOBB but decided not to run the section with the wood chip. I just ran to the meting point of the3 two paths and ran back up past the Hillingdon House.
    Great to run but I felt I had to. After eating a family sized pack of Tesco Finest Mature Cheddar & Onion Crisps last night. I felt like I'd put on a stone in one night!
  • Welcome jasban! (Or welcome back).
    Good running, Hazelnut.

Dorney did not go so well - I had my first DNF. Running multiple laps in cold, damp and windy conditions was never going to be my idea of fun but I managed the first lap at sub-4 pace. However, my left hamstring started to get progressively tighter and grumpier and it began to impact my speed. I decided pushing on would not only result in a miserable experience but could also turn the niggle into an injury, so I stopped at 10 miles. And I'm OK with that, given that I'm running my first ultra next month.
    It wasn't all bad - it was nice seeing my clubmates and I made friends with a fellow drop-out who let me sit in his warm car until my clubmates finished, and I suppose I wouldn't have seen Hamo if I'd gone the distance as I dropped out around the time the fast people were finishing.
    I feel a little comforted that Kipchoge also had a bad (for him) run today so I think it was tough out there for everyone, however good.
  • Bad news on the lower leg pain, LTT. Have you booked the physio? And did you get a bike? Bike shops were experiencing something of a boom earlier during lockdown which meant there were some shortages. Not sure if that's the case now.

It is truly an amazing streak, Hazelnut, and a tremendous accumulated mileage. You're absolutely right that the current situation means there isn't really much else to do and it certainly gets us out and about. Well done on the 11.4 and watch out for any 'Elmer Fudd' types.

Welcome (back) jasban, hopefully the knee niggle isn't anything too bad and you can get out again this week.

So sorry to hear that you had to pull up, Cal. Hopefully the hamstring is just a minor niggle and after a little bit of rest you'll be back on it for the ultra. Have to say we saw a few marathon runners out yesterday in simply atrocious conditions and, as well as ensuring we gave them encouragement, I had the utmost admiration for them. 

Saturday was a 10K with laps around Hove Park again. Pretty grim day as the rain came down. Knowing we had a longer run planned for the Sunday I decided to keep the pace steady and concentrated on running to perceived effort. Partner, with her speedy shoes, pulled away and eventually opened up a 400m gap. We both finished soaked, but happy that we'd completed it. 

The evening we went out for a meal (Korean, very nice) and also had a couple of G&Ts, figuring it may not be long before we go into another lockdown. We got home just as it started to chuck it down again and the discussion was that if it was like it in the morning we wouldn't bother.

In the morning it seemed better, no rain and the forecast indicated nothing was due in until after midday. We finished watching the women's race before setting out at about 9:45, thinking we would be back to see the end of the men's race. As we'd parked the car in town the previous evening the purpose was twofold, get a run in and pick the car up, so we ran from the house down into town and then along the seafront. Having hit the seafront we felt the force of the wind behind us as we headed towards the marina. Past the Steve Ovett statue (touch of his foot) and on towards Saltdean on the undercliff path, which is where the rain started. As we turned for the return we got the full force of the wind in our faces and the rain was stinging us like small pins with the force of it coming down. Truly the worst weather conditions we had run in. However I was so pleased we did it. As mentioned seeing those running their marathons was truly inspiring. Even being splashed by a car as we waited at a crossing didn't dampen us too much. In the end we did 10 miles in 1:29, probably quicker than I would have wanted, but an excellent work out.

And we got back to see the end of the men's race. What a shock with Kipchoge, but a fantastic finish by Kitata as well.
  • Welcome back iRun/jasban. Nice weather dodging and crisp munching. Good luck with the knee niggle.

Shame about Dorney Cal. Sensible decision considering the ultra and the conditions.

Two good soakings GD. Hope the shoes dry out quickly.

Rare CNBA yesterday runningwise, legs were feeling too tired for the planned hill sesson so I just trotted around 4 miles recovery. Did compensate by doing a cycle marathon beforehand. The London running elite was faster than I cycled it seems.

Today I caught up on the hill session - 5.x miles of warm up then 5 x hard up a decent incline and jog down again. Didn't take any notice of time / distance for the reps but it was hard enough - didn't want to add a 6th. Getting used to the cooler conditions but still overdressing a bit. 
  • I have to say I've run in much worse conditions than Sunday's, GD - I remember doing a 16 miler one January in the sleet and all the other runners I saw looked so miserable I actually found it pretty funny. But Thames Meander half marathon at the end of 2015 was definitely the worse - muddy as the Somme with horizontal rain on the return leg. People were falling over everywhere - it was carnage.

Hammy felt much better on this morning's walk so I think I'll be running sooner rather than later. I am not going to rush it, though - too much at stake.
  • Hi folks, hope you're all having a decent start to week.  A reasonable weekend running for me, hopefully?

I gave myself a good, decent rest and (for once!) my pain seemed to improve well.

I think I said in a previous post how the town bridge was shut, so on sunday I drove to the seafront to do a gentle 5 or so miles.  The weather was absolutely horrible here, wind and rain, as it seems much of the south was.
    On starting my run it became clear how many virtual VLM runners were doing apparent loops along the coast, not just the odd few, but absolutely loads!
    With the weather being horrible and the marathon on it seemed I was the only non-VLM runner there and I felt a complete fake as the many supporters cheered me on for something I wasn't doing!  I did feel a bit sorry for them with such a long run ahead of them in unpleasant weather and I think they inspired me do do a half marathon.  Not a fast one, but a half marathon!  What struck me at mile 11 is I remembered I hadn't had any breakfast and by the time I finished was completely done in, which is strange as last year I would regularly run that far on training runs fasted, but felt awful today.

Feel pretty sore since, but my fault etc, so can't complain! just hope it wasn't something I'll regret..

Welcome back Jasban, sorry abut the knee.  Crisps are also my nemesis!

Nice running Hazlenut, good hill sessions, mabe you can keep the streak going until next year!

That's shame about your run Cal, but like you say, it seems it was definitely the right thing to do.  Hope you recover fast and well.  Regarding worst weather, Folkstone half marathon last year was my worst, 50mph gale and rain!

That sounds a great run GD and decent pace.  Must try Korean..

Watched the marathon on youtube, (wasn't on Iplayer until monday).  Felt a bit sorry for Kipchoge, but great running from the others and a great finish.

• Even with a CNBA day, Hazelnut, you still got out there. And did a cycle marathon as well. Knowing what to wear at the moment is a bit of a challenge. I guess easily removable layers might be the answer.

That Thames Meander half sounded absolutely brutal, Cal. I've always thought I don't mind the rain, it can be quite cooling. And to a degree I don't mind the wind. If I run into it I try and take the view that I'm having to work harder, like going up a hill. But both together is not nice. Talking of the Somme we did a league run in Lewes a couple of years ago which was after we'd had an absolute deluge. As well as trying to run through a ploughed field the last part of the course took us through marshland where we were running shin deep in water. Quite enjoyed that.

Well done on the half, LTT. As you say the VLM runners were inspiring and I shouldn't worry about being applauded, you were out there sharing the pain. Hopefully the soreness is easing. And can definitely recommend Korean.

Birthday yesterday which meant I got my new runners. I also got a water resistant jacket that is reflective as well, so no real excuse for those dark, wet winter evenings. Took the runners out for a spin during yesterday evening's 'bubble' run. Met at Preston Park to do what was quite a hilly run that took in the delights of Hollingbury and then down into Patcham before running back to the park. A touch under 6 miles with the added bonus of cake after the run and then back home for homemade steak and kidney pudding and a glass of malbec. Runners felt bouncy, although first impression is that they're more of a training shoe and I may get some more Flyknits next year for the Brighton half.
  • Happy Birthday, GD! Not had steak and kidney pud since I was a kid. My grandmother, who lived with us, used to make it. She died when I was 13 so I guess I've not had it in over 40 years now! (Unlikely to, either, given I've developed gluten issues in my old age).
    I went to Korea in 2009 - quite liked the food but did not like the hot red sauce they put on absolutely everything. It was quite a relief to take the boat over to Japan for the following week and not have to worry about lighting a burning mouth every mealtime.
    Lewes is sort of where I'm from. Parents moved to London when I was 18 months so I consider myself a Londoner, but they were working at Glyndebourne and lived in Lewes when I was born. We used to stay down there every so often when they were visiting old friends and I've had a few walks over the Downs.
    Are the new shoes those Zoom Alpha ones?

Well done on your run, Linton - I still do most runs fasted although if I go out at 9 rather than 6 I'll have something to eat beforehand. I don't like to eat before a run, though, as even if I leave it 3 hours, I can still feel it a bit.

Another walk today - hammy is much better. Not completely better, though. The tendinopathy up near the butt is noticeable, but I've been dealing with that for a few years now. The hammy itself is a lot less sore and I can flex my leg without it complaining. Should be good for a test run either tomorrow or Friday (probably Friday as weather doesn't look good tomorrow, but we'll see). I think it was just over-stressed and got tight and angry. That doesn't sound serious but I know from my experience with my TFL that if a muscle gets angry like that, it can be very difficult to run at all, even if there's no actual damage. That TFL knocked me out for an entire Autumn, hence my caution with the hamstring.
  • My marathon debut in 2016 was at 3 degrees with sleet /rain - fortunately little wind but it took until km 40 for my hands to defrost (didn't wear gloves).  Took me another 3 gos to better the time I ran there.  Also done a hill race in a monsoon and again it took years to better my time there.  We still giggle about that race today.  Much rather have rain than heat!

Wouldn't say you are a fake for running without doing the VLM virtual LTT.  Kudos for anyone who did in tough conditions.  At least you weren't hungry on your half before 11 miles.  

Happy birthday for yesterday GD!  Jacket was a good pressie by the sounds of it.  Nice post run refreshments too.  

Positive news regarding the hammy Cal.  Hope the test run goes well.

Group run on Tuesday evening - decent turnout considering the damp, breezy and dark conditions.  Was expecting more rain than we got and was a bit overdressed again.  Will try to run in shorts as long as possible and vary the upper layers a bit.  I hate running with jackets / tops around my waist but armsleeves are very practical.

Out hiking yesterday so only a short run of 3-4 miles yesterday evening.  After days of mostly overcast weather it was nice to see a sunset again.
  • Glad the hamstring continues to improve, Cal, and thanks for the birthday wishes. Did you manage to get out for a test run? Used to play football in the Lewes and District Sunday League, so played against a fair few clubs from there over the years. The league run we do starts and finishes at the athletics track where the leisure centre is, so you get a nice 300m sprint on the track to finish. And I liked Korea too, I was there for some work in 2016 (grand tour that took in China and Taiwan as well) and enjoyed the food, although caused great hilarity with the people I was working with through my inability to use chopsticks. Couldn't get the Zoom Alphaflys - I'm sure Nike are rationing at the moment as it's proving difficult to get anything. Got the Vaporfly Next% Tempo which seems more familiar in build than the Flyknits did.

Thanks Hazelnut, not yet had the chance to wear the jacket, but no doubt will do soon. It's that in-between stage where it starts off as being a bit chilly to start with, but you soon warm up. I'm with you on staying in shorts for as long as I can.

Speed session last night that consisted of pyramid hill sprints. A mile warm up and then sessions up a hill where the gradient got increasingly tougher, The top of the pyramid was a 600m trawl with the two faster runners pulling away at the beginning, however I managed to ensure the gap didn't widen as the hill bit. All in all it was a a 5.26 mile run and I managed to hit my top pace with the last sprint, which I was pleased with.

Managed to get a gym session in this morning followed by a coffee. That's set me up for another long day.
  • Love my arm sleeves, Hazelnut - some of the most useful running gear I have. I also prefer rain to heat, but I don't like the combination of wind and rain - that's truly miserable.

GD - what I found in Korea is that they use metal chopsticks, which are a lot harder to use than the wooden ones you get in Japan.
    Funny story about my trip there. I went with the European Coaster Club for two weeks of theme parks, half in Korea and half in Japan. We started in Seoul but when we went to other towns to visit the parks there, English got a bit thin on the ground and, unlike Japan, they don't seem to have photos of food in a lot of restaurants.
    A few of us went out for dinner one night and walked into a restaurant and basically just mimed eating and the waitress just brought us a selection of dishes. She was grinning like crazy at one thing - a bowl of what looked like beans, but they were segmented. We all guessed they were bugs of some kind but we tried then and actually polished off the bowl. Later found out they were silkworm pupae. Here's me eating them.

Eh well, it's protein, right?

And yes, those are the shoes I meant. Couldn't remember the name.

I did get out for my test run, although I had some DOMS from lower body stuff I did at home yesterday. I ran three miles - hammy is not too bad - a bit stiff but part of that is the DOMS. It now feels like standard high hammy tendinopathy, which I've had on and off for three and a half years, so I'll deal with that. No fast stuff for a bit but I can deal with it. Amazingly, achilles is feeling good at the moment. Typical of my niggles that they want to take turns.
  • A very quick one!

Did 6.4 miles last night at a reasonable pace and JOY OF JOYS whatever I hurt seems to be on the mend. 

Factored in some hills, an enjoyable run, not sure if it was a sprain or what, but so glad it appears to be improving.

Happy birthday GD, and hefty hill session. A 5.26 mile is impressive.  I know Lewes, I have to go there for work occasionally, the A27 is an arse though.

Nice training Hazlenut, I didn't get my bike yet as need to research a bit.

Glad your on the mend Cal, that's good news.  Never eaten a silkworm, have tried a mealworm and a Comadia moth larvae you get in tequila.

Have a great weekend.
  • Nice hills GD..Also useless with chopsticks - looks like Cal can though, at least she managed to grab something of the size of that bug.

Good to see you back out running Cal and a nice pic.  Like your travelling and eating tales too.

Good news LTT, please be careful now. Not sure about the worms, but have never tried.

Short and sharp speedwork yesterday: 2 - sets of 5 x 200m (more rather than less). Better idea of how to run these the second time of trying. An older guy walking a dog added a bit of sarcastic-humorous commentary about how often I was going to repeat the up and down and that he was worried I wouldn't find my way home and would have to check up if I was still there later. Did manage to think up a suitably cheeky reply and we parted with grins. With warm-up / cool-down 8 miles.

Hiking today so just a short leg loosener at the end of sunset this evening - 3 miles.