Friday 2nd October 2020 - Funny, but it's true

Moring.

Lyrics - Funny, but it's true

What loneliness can do

I'm glad you can still enjoy some outside time chicksta - I'd take walking pain free at the minute. I had a slightly troubling conversation with my physio yesterday but trying not to dwell on it.

Alehouse - indeed a sluggish run would be better than no run and I've not run for ages now.

Dustin - hope your youngest stays well. There are good and bad everywhere but the students lamenting the fact that they are locked in to their halls and 'shouldn't have been expected to follow the rules' are winding me up - they want to be treated as grown-ups but aren't prepared to behave appropriately. Some of the students I support are too scared to go back on campus for teaching because of the behaviour of other students which means that they will be even more disadvantaged.

I am dreading Sunday. Forecast isn't good, it's going to hurt and apart from giving me a clear conscience with regard to the sponsorship is pretty pointless.

Expecting a call from my GP this morning - hoping to persuade him to give me another steroid jab in my knee. Fingers crossed he will and that it solves the problem.

In other news we have booked a weekend back in Hornsea, down side is that we're taking MiL and now Mark might not be able to come - could be a girly weekend away with me, MiL and Lola!

Yesterday's lyrics - One More Chance - Pet Shop Boys.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Morning!

Lyrics: Indeed!

Hope GP is helpful, LMH!

What: something after work

Why: working this morning. No doubt the legs will decide what they do, and probably in the rain.

Hope all is good, Els/OH!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • All good so far just rather odd not being able to see c and b except out doors/at wedding venue this afternoon but ok though wet drive down aftwr bumpy boat and a sunny day here yesterday. Siblings feeling left out not being here too. Covid times are bizarre. 
    Hope all are faring well and that things better for sun LMH. 
  • Glad you have arrived safely Els. I didn't realise that R and H wouldn't be able to attend - I hope that a huge celebratory party will be had when allowed. Hope the sun shines on you this afternoon.

Me too Alehouse - I'll let you know.
  • Thomas neither...all in quarantined countries.
  • Plan is for a party sometime...who knows how long off that could be. Even yesterday there was talk of full lockdown ie back to 5m travel limit and no meet ups anywhere but think that will come in school hols now!
  • Ooops sorry - didn't mean to leave T out. I know it's impossible to predict when it will be but no harm in holding on to the thought of the big celebration to come and making plans even if you can't actually book/organise anything.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    LMH - hope its a positive outcome from the GP call. Hornsea will at least be another few days away.
    Els - Just imagine how big that party will be when this is all over!!
    Ale / LMH - quite right about misleading guidelines and those that aren't quite sure what to follow. It seems a shambles that they were told to go back when it's all online anyway.

Following on from that, all those in her halls that got tested got the results yesterday: all were positive, including my daughter.
    She still doesn't have any symptoms, a couple of the others do. Upshot is that because she popped home last weekend to sort out laptops (long story involving no wifi for chrome books on campus), Mrs D & I have to self isolate for 14 days from when she left (Monday morning).
    We have no symptoms either. 
    Apparently we can only get tested if we develop symptoms but just have to suck it up instead.
    So no running (outside) and the 7 days we had booked in the Lakes (starting tomorrow) is out the window. I will not be running up Skiddaw after all. 
    Looks like its stretching and conditioning and running up and down the hall rather than climbing the walls.
    The upside is that it's just over 4,500 lengths of the hall for my VLM....

• Oh dear Dustin. ..self isolating is not fun.cake helps a little!
  • Oh Dustin I'm so sorry to hear that. So frustrating and annoying - but thank you for doing the right thing.

Still waiting for this morning's call from my GP :-(
  • Afternoon!

Really sorry to hear your news, Dustin. A pain. Can you plot a course in the garden? 

Hope the GP phoned, LMH!

What: 15 mins warm up (and later, down), 3 x 3 mins with 90 seconds recovery (which was supposed to be a jog but was a walk). Worked hard although for various reasons probably didn't run as far as I expected (cinder paths, wind, undulations etc): all about the effort at present, and that was pretty hard. Ran the first part of the first one too hard!

Why: part of step 8 of the speedwork plan. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Jeez, Dustin. Hope you are OK. Like your sense of humour doing 4,500 lengths of the hall!

LMH: Hope your GP returned the call in the meantime. Do you really have to do it if your knee is so painful? Wouldn't a marathon make things really bad so that perhaps it makes sense to weigh the sponsorship money against your longterm health? I bet your sponsors will understand if you had to pull out. There's always next year (that's me being my usual uber-optimistic self). 

Enjoy the celebrations, els. Even if it's a scaled-down version.

Good speedy session again, ale

A slightly longer walk than yesterday and some push-ups. It was miserable, dull, grey and windy all day. Now the sun is coming through but it's going to be dark in an hour or so. I hate it when the days get shorter and shorter ...
  • I finally had my GP morning appointment at 1650hrs - bad day it would seem.

chicksta - fortunately if I can get through the first couple of miles my knee stops hurting (or I can tune it out) and it's usually then ok until I stop. My physio has said that I'm not going to cause any further damage running on it, biggest risk is upsetting something else if my gait is off - hence the gluteal tendinopathy - but that's the same walking. Physio's advice is to get it done as quickly as possible as the less time I spend on it the better! I'm struggling with the short days too - especially the dark morning at the minute.

Lots of caveats and cautions from my GP - apparently they stopped all steroid injections at the start of the pandemic due to concerns about the steroids lowering immune function and therefore increasing the risk of catching Covid19 and many pain clinics etc at hospitals are still not doing them though they are now allowed under certain circumstances. Having tried to manage this for over two months and it interfering with my activities of daily living, disturbing my sleep etc I meet the criteria so I have an appointment Tuesday morning where he will assess and hopefully inject, though they are using lower doses than usual. I've emailed my physio to check whether she thinks it's still worth having it but I don't think there's really many other options.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Evening
    Crap news Dustin. Fingers crossed your daughter will stay symptom free and of course you and your wife as well. Shame about the planned break as well. Would also add the garden onto the lap of the hall.
    Hornsea isn't Florida LMH but it is at least a few days away. Glad you finally caught up with your doctor.
    Glad you arrived okay Els, certainly keep up the idea of a bigger celebration for later.
    Ups to the speedy first rep Ale.
    Good you have been able to do some mild exercise Chicksta. Agree on the short days but at least it means homemade soup season again.

What: 8.3 miles with 6 x hill sprints and 8 x strides
    Why: short and sharp for strength, form etc.
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no