London 2020

Comments

• I'm sure you can cover the distance in 24 hours portlanders.
    Oh yeah for sure, it will be completed under 6 hours i'm sure. 
    I recently did a run 1.1 every hour, on the hour, for 24 hours..... that was interesting. 
    One thing i learned from that is i can fuel on sausage rolls lol 
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Won’t be bothering with shelling out £20 for a t shirt and medal,if I was that desperate I’d buy it from eBay next day, there wil be loads on there,lol 
  • They will cost you more on eBay I reckon!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That combo in the days after the race are usually over £100, these might actually have a higher value due to uniqueness. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    So as far as i understand it as i used a qualifying time from June 2019, then im automatically deferred to Oct 21, with no need to get involved in the virtual race?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes same here, you just need wait and see what process might be required when the mail on 01st Sept. Hopefully, it'll simply be ' unless you tell us otherwise you're transferred to Oct 21". 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    It's about timing I got £120 for my 2017 medal, shirt, number, tags etc on the day (gave to charity I hasten to add) but did liked the shirt so bought one from Ebay for £10, 3 months later.  Plan to do the same this time. 
    DT - Yes, I am hoping for that too.   
  • I'd be a bit miffed if they told me 2023............

I usually sell the medal as part of my fundraising but keep the t-shirt now that they do xs ones, before that the t-shirt went too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    LMH - You applied with a June 2019 time though ? If so you should get deferred straight over to 2021? 2023 is for those that no longer have a valid gfa ?
  • I can't remember which time I applied with TR.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - id have thought you put a 2019 time forward. If you put a 2018 time forward do you now have to submit the virtual time ?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I suppose the tendency is to put your fastest time forward as that will get you into a more forward pen/faster start in theory.  I would have thought (pending the official GFA entry criteria!) that someone in your position LMH, could simply re-enter the GFA process with the 2019 time; only downside would be having to pay again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Is there a situation where gfa doesnt open agsin though? If everyone with a 2019 gfa time gets deferred over, and all the 2018 get deferred over (although they might have to submit the virtual time) ? Will there be any places left ? Possibly some where gfa has run out and folks dont do the virtual ?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Indeed TR, I'm not counting my chickens - as a non entrant this year it isn't clear yet whether I could enter via GFA even with a 2019 time.  By dissing the 2018 folks I thought they were trying to create some entry space but happy to wait and see.  I still think they should have carried all 2020 GFA qualifiers over but they do have previous history in moving the goal posts when it suits them. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    LMH - looks like you are ok, as even if you put a 2018 time, you ran a gfa in 2019, which can be used.

Wardi - you can apply, they jus cant guarantee you a place.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR, I'm 7 mins inside the senior codgers cut so I might as well throw my name into the hat.
    Good idea I thought asking the virtual GFA'ers to back it up with a corresponding half performance - at least that would be on a certified course, properly timed etc.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    .......and not done on a bike
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    There's a few a complaints, probably understandably on the sub 3 fb thread, from a few guys who could run a virtual gfa but don't have a qualifying half either, but I think ( despite the half times offered bring very light) its a decent check and balance. 
  • I have a question for a friend, if anyone knows the answer? 
    It's in relation to GFA and this document - https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/index.html?

She had a GFA time obtained in 2019 to use for 2021.
    She has also entered the virtual for this year.

Can she still enter via her obtained GFA time in 2019, or will the virtual now superseed this? 

It doesn't make it clear in the document as far as we can see. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    portlanders - if her 2019 time is valid for an entry for GFA 2021 then she can use that one.    Many runners will do several marathons within the period of qualification and the runner will choose which qualifying time they use, usually the faster obviously.

Some will run the virtual to get the medal and shirt but without the pressure of doing a fast time if they already have a qualifying time bagged.
  • SHADES said:
    portlanders - if her 2019 time is valid for an entry for GFA 2021 then she can use that one.    Many runners will do several marathons within the period of qualification and the runner will choose which qualifying time they use, usually the faster obviously.

Some will run the virtual to get the medal and shirt but without the pressure of doing a fast time if they already have a qualifying time bagged.
    Most helpful, thank you Shades. 

We thought as much, but the document doesn't clearly state that. 

She wants to 'run for fun' for the virtual so will appreciate she can do that.
    Meanwhile i'm up to 16 miles on my 6 week virtual marathon plan, and very happy the way things are going, if not a little surprised. 
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Just received email, my sister and I have both been accepted for 2021 event, really chuffed 
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well, that was a strange one, I suppose it counts as a "London". I'm presuming the medal and T-shirt are on their way, but it in no way felt like a marathon that I've ever run before.

And I don't suppose there's any scope to out the cheaters as the whole thing was done on trust.

For myself I felt like I cheated as I did a 10mile run, then changed in to dry clothes and went for a 5mile walk with MOH, then changed back into running kit and jogged the last 11 or so!

Is that a real marathon?

Purists would argue it was 2 runs with a walk and I would tend to agree with them, but VLM rules say it was perfectly ok, so....it is what it is, strange.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Apparently the ballot for 2021 London Marathon opened today and closes tomorrow at 17.00, good luck 😉 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No it opened last Sunday lunchtime and closes today I believe. 
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Oh, okay, only received email Thursday so assumed it was only for short period as there’d only be very limited places for ballot entry 🙄🙄
  • Did anyone else have a problem uploading their time? The app didn't work for me and when I tried to manually upload it said the email/ref was not a recognised combination (despite it being the ref they emailed and the address they sent it to!)

I've emailed them through the site and tweeted twice but still no response.

I ran the Yorkshire 3 peaks so I'm definitely not going for a good for age. Would like the medal and t-shirt though - otherwise I just paid £20 for a worthless race number! :D
  • Did you use the reference from the last email they sent? I think it was on the Friday - it was different from the registration reference.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    you need your booking ref which is a 12 figure number preceded by 2 letters and incorporates your registration ID. Why they have to make it this complex baffles me, but......

• Thanks for the replies. Yes that's the number I was using, it was in both the emails they sent to me. I copied and pasted it using the email they contacted me on, but it said "no match".

I tried ringing the number but its just a pre-recorded message directing you to the website and then cuts off.

I'll be so annoyed if they don't send me the medal/t-shirt just because their app didn't work.