Options

Comrades 2021

Comments

• Options
    1owrez, I expect I'll be watching the TV coverage between 10 and 10:30am so I'll look out for you. Hope the rain holds off. Last forecast I saw there were flood warnings, but mainly for Wales tomorrow, so another reason to avoid Flintshire.
    I was expecting the live tracking would show exactly where you were, but I now realise we're just going to be virtual dots moving along a map of the official marathon route. As I'm leaving it to run in the afternoon I might have the virtual course almost to myself! And if it's pouring with rain I'll probably have my actual route almost to myself as well. 
  • Options
    baldstan: have a good run tomorrow - I hope the rain is not as bad as forecasted!
    I'm going to be spending most of the morning cheering on members of my club and watching over their drinks, before running my 90 minutes to coincide with the last 90 minutes of our slowest runners, so they are not out by themselves.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blimey Debra, that is a massive amount of running! Hope all goes well.

Hmm... since I switched blue arse off on my watch apps have started to crash on me phone! The phone I need to download the London app on - by the way anyone can download the app and track others on the day! Goes off to kick his phone...

SS its a kilt and that wesc't and the wig etc in my profile picture, plus I have real copies of Axl's tattoos to bang on me arms, thinking of wearing the Salomon waterproof trainers I used in the Antarctic too, mmm yes, red to go with my kilt!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yep, bloody bluetooth was on on my phone too, are these devices conspiring against me?
  • Options
    lowrez: the one I'm a bit worried about is Halloween 100 three weeks after Autumn 100. After that it should be okay...
    Good luck with the Bluetooth stuff. And I'll try to download the App and track people...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck Stan, despite starting at 9 I think I will be hard pushed to complete by 3 - so this tracking is rubbish then - it's not real? Will see if I can spot you anyway.
    Despite killing the bluebottle apps are still crashing on me phone - arrgh!
  • Options
    Sounds like old Harald Bluetooth is enacting some kind of Viking revenge on all your technology 1owrez. My worry at the moment is the rain getting to my phone, so hopefully a couple of ziplock bags will be enough to protect it.
    SS, at the moment I'm really tempted by the Grand Slam of Centurion 50s next year, and I don't think I've got Debra's stamina, or powers of recovery, so I may skip the NDW100. I do still want to give it a go though, so perhaps I'll offer to volunteer on it next year and then hope to run it in 2022.
  • Options
    Is there a list of numbers for tracking tomorrow?

McHilly = 13856

I don’t really have a plan for tomorrow, just going to get up and go for a run from my door, sticking to local flat lanes, but don’t have a route planned. Be interesting to see if I’m any quicker or slower than I was at virtual comrades time! I’m maybe generally a bit fitter, equally undertrained in terms of long runs  and less motivated! The Comrades spirit definitely inspired me back in June, hopefully I’ll find some of that motivation In the morning! Have a good run everyone. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone from 36592
    Think something more serious is up with my phone, all manner of apps just keep piping up randomly saying they have "stopped". "Maps" has been doing this for weeks, today "Messenger" and "Outlook" have started doing it, so I couldn't get to the mail with the London app download on it - just done that directly from the store - have no idea where the streaming app is as I've been sent that by mail too - as I plod about my phone stuff like "Screen Editor" and apps I have never heard of keep telling me they have stopped working too. Tech - perfect timing as usual!
  • Options
    Hc Hilly - have a nice run! And Hippo Birdie!
    lowrez: sympathies for the phone gremlins. Hope you can make it work for tomorrow.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Abandoning the wall Stan, can't get into mail on the phone to the link to fire up the wall app - have looked at the link on the PC but it's 26 miles of ridiculously long random characters - I'll be lucky I think if the London app keeps going - so, time to abandon the tech and RUN - ha ha - I can do that bit!
  • Options
    think you can still use Garmin/Strava etc if you don’t have the app Lowrez. Good luck mchilly and baldstan 
    no 30561 for me
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Timing app is OK SS and I am Garmin clocking too - its the video wall app I can't load, but that is one less thing to worry about now so I'm happy :)

Good luck terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusc :) 

• Options
    London Virtual Marathon all done here  :) The weather was truly foul for the entire time and I was quite cold at the end. I did my 10 and a bit laps which gave me 2500 ft of climbing  :joy: but that was all part of the plan. Had someone with me most of the time and Mr SS did the last 3 laps with me.  5h 6mins Happy with that
  • Options

Well done Jan. Fabulous time

Don't know how Lowrez or Baldstan are getting on.
  • Options
    Great work SS especially with all that climbing! I also suffered with the cold, at one point my hands refused to work properly so getting my energy bars out and opening them was almost impossible! At that point (remembering you lose most heat through your head) I put my hood up and a few miles later my hands got better!
    Despite lacking motivation and struggling to get out the door, once out I enjoyed it, and think was faster than last few real marathons! App seems pretty hopeless for tracking!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think hopeless for the app is an understatement. I have nowt recorded despite repeatedly asking it to start and let it turn whatever shite on it wanted to - but my phone is caving in too so maybe that had something to do with it. Need to go and figure how to load my gpx prior to midnight other wise the horse and carriage I did it in will turn back into mice and a pumpkin, lost one of my new Nike glass running shoes in the last mile, but couldn't stop otherwise I would have seized up, as I looked back some prince picked it up and stated chasing me so I put in a sprint for the line and lost the weirdo.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well done SS and McH :) Stan will be out there right now won't he!
  • Options
    Lowrez - Well done on your run. I didn't use the tracking app either. I had got the page up when I was indoors and kept the page open till I started but a bit later it was recording 0.0 miles  :/ And at that point I didn't have any reading glasses on me so try as I did I couldn't read where I'd gone wrong (how sad!!) But It's downloaded to strava and I used that. You need your original booking number and it was all very simple. What I'm trying to say is if I can do it you'll have no problem  :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Help me SS you're my only hope

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That is a superb time SS with all that ascent :)
  • Options
    Well done everyone on excellent running. It looks like 13 June might be about to be confirmed? ASA rejected request for September date  https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/2020-10-04-comrades-marathon-100th-anniversary-to-go-on-in-june-as-originally-planned/
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great sleuthing Johnny, I wonder if Brits will ever be let back into the country?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    How are your toes SS?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    The app is atrocious - my son is just back after doing 26 and a half, the app says he did 0.9 miles and his gps watch ran out of battery at 23 miles - what a heap of sh+te, looks like he'll have to charge his watch and go and do another 3, thats assuming that the gps loader accepts multiple files - this is just plain wrong.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Well done to all of those who ran today and Lowrez sorry to hear about the gremlins.

Thanks for posting that J1984, fingers crossed now I guess.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Peter, we've just figured it out, he can do a manual submission with photographic evidence, so he's going out to do another 3 and submit 2 Strava screen shots. He's being philosophical about the extra, remembers London last year, not only do you have to run the race distance but you trapse about prior to and after moving your ass to the start line and then placating yourself from the finish area to wherever you need to be next, eg Houston, I mean, Euston.

It will be interesting to see if the app has just plain failed for everyone, there will be an angry mob with burning torches at the gates of LMHQ if so!
  • Options
    I was with a lady when she finished her run and the app started clapping and cheering so some of them worked. 
    Strangely she started at 4am and went indoors every 6 miles for firstly a shower and a nap. And all the other times a shower and hair wash and dry and a change of clothes 🤣 she finished half a mile ahead of me. I’d have lost the plot if I’d done it like that. 

Good news about comrades but of course we need to be allowed in and for it to be safe. We’ll see. 
  • Options
    Well run, Snail, Mc Hilly, lowrez & son. Any news on baldstan?
    We had a great turnout at Kenley. I spent three hours standing around cheering and so on, then about 80 minutes running round as extra 'company' on the course - going the opposite way to those running thier marathons (at least those in our club - quite a few other people had chosen the same venue and some were going one way, some the other). We had several PBs. It was cold, wet and windy throughout. I have clothes (mostly mine, but an additional cap and jacket) hanging on all the radiators, drying.
  • Options
    I think the app worked for me, it certainly recorded a time, no idea if it updated at all as I went along (I took the phone out to look at it as my Garmin had just bleeped for 26 miles.... the App told me I had finished, but still had a short way to go on Garmin, think my app time was about 3mins quicker than reality!