Sub 3

Comments

• Addendum:
    Just heard from a mate who was running for a GFA time.  He clocked 3.01 and thought he'd finished and job done until he got the second message when he was changed in his car, leaving the car park. He is appealing and seeing the funny side.  :D
  • Oh OuchOuch - you couldn't make it up. Good news that you have no aches and pains though.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, CD, LMH and OO. 

CD: I think that counts as a fair effort, son, if not a little more. Conditions here were horrible, and I was relieved I only had to bag a recovery run.

LMH: given your restricted training, and the inevitable slower time in a virtual run, that's really encouraging. I hope you recover well!

OO: the app sounds like a shambles. Definitely not worth twenty quid!

52 for me for the week. The last few months have finally seen my 12 month total sneak.back over 2,500 miles for the first time since 2017. Hopefully laying decent foundations for 2021...
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Well done LMH and OO all things considered. 

I did enjoy that report in a macabre kind of way OO.

TR - was thinking how Jooligan is getting on. We've not had half the weather you lot have down there. 

I've just glanced at the vvlm results. The fastest so far is a 2:04. He should have given Brasher a call to get on the start line. 2nd place with a mid 2:06 is a 60-65 runner which must be a world record :) 

It'll be interesting to see on how they manage all these GFA applications and the appeals. 
  • A mate of mine ran with the app (started at midnight so with a 3:18 must have been among the first to complete).  He didn't have the commentary on but stopped when his watch said 26.2, checked his phone to find he had 0.6 miles left to run!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD.. 2.54 in those conditions is definitely worth a reasonable.
    LMH.. I'm so pleased for you given your fragile state, wasn't sure if you would even start TBH.  Nicely done.
    OO.. well toughed out in awful conditions, what else could possibly go wrong lol.   The LM app sounds like a nightmare.
    SJ.. That's a long time on the treadie/in the shed! 
    Jools.. nice mileage consistency, encouraging for next year if we do get any races to run! 

Brass Monkey half (Jan) & Snake Lane 10 (Feb) are already cancelled up here.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done OO, it was miserable out there today. Dorney had a lot of sub3s today, but they must have had a certain amount of wind too.

Jools  - thats decent mileage, good foundations.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    CD - Midnight madness!!   When I heard the App cheer for mile 17 my watch was showing 17.4 so that synchs. At Mile 18 exactly the GPS DNF'd. Wise move. 
    LMH - well done to you.
    WARDI - there were more, accidentally closing Strava when took a phone call. Your race your way was the strapline. :#
    SJ - I did derive a grim satisfaction, I omitted a few occasions when I overtook stationery or slow walking runners crying, suspect not tears of joy.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Ah - apparently over 1,000 posts since I last popped in in March. Suffice to say I've not looked through them all.

So I hope the lockdown hasn't driven you all nuts yet and are relatively well and seeking a few races out - apart from the Stevie G lot I know what you are up to ;)

Lack of races has screwed me - lost a lot of speed endurance and around 40 secs over 5k.

Edit - OO, enjoyed that report, glad you saw the funny side. My annoyances were more minor - iPhone shuffling an album instead of playing it properly, Garmin taking a mile to find the satellite, three pit stops (Tandoori mixed grill the night before..idiot), plus excessive rain.

The voices on the app must have been annoying, can imagine people cursing them!

• sj - they do say that any suspiciously fast results will be investigated so hopefully that will sort some of it out. Mind you one guy reports the app knocking 30 minutes off his time!
  • 2:53:42 at Dorney Lake for me. Awful conditions with wind and rain,  so I am happy with that. On to better things in 2021 hopefully.

Congrats to OO, LMH and CD. Nice work on the treadmill from SJ too. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work ES, how was the course and logistics ? I have a number for Nov 22.
  • Wow OO - comedy of errors there. Sounds like the weather was least of your concerns. Well done.

Mr consistent CD. Looked like a good crowd up there today at the aerodrome. Times generally down reflecting the difficult conditions and the fact it wasn't a "real" race.

LMH - Well done on getting out there and a decent time to boot.

I'm surprised they didn't just trust strava or a custom sent GPS for the timing. Sounds like the app has been a bit of a disaster.

Sun came out at around 3pm here. Felt like a real bonus to be running in the light and in the sun on some canals for 8 miles. 43 miles for the week which is fairly modest of course but is my biggest total in around 7 months. 
  • Cheers all.  RJR - yes, there was a good crowd there, a few you'd know obviously.  I'm glad I wasn't trying to treat it as a race because there were definitely places where it would have been nice working in a group.  Hard to know how much difference that made though - the weather was a factor but the biggest factor was that I'm just not in shape I was earlier in the year (nor was I intending to be, so no big deal).

Nice one at Dorney ES, especially in thoe conditions.  It's pretty exposed around that lake.
  • Well done ES.
  • TR - the course is OK, weather dependent of course! 4 laps but in a horseshoe shape so you run some parts of the course 8 times, 4 in each direction. It's all tarmac and wide paths so no issues with overtaking. Totally flat. A few decent puddles if it's been wet. One U turn each lap which is a pain. You pass the water station 8 times which is handy.

Logistics wise not great on a cold, wet day but they are limited in what they can do. There's no shelter while waiting so most people headed back to their cars to keep warm and dry until close to start time. Parking is a very short walk from the start. There is a baggage drop which is a rarity these days. Coffee van also! Start is well organized by waves although not much enforcement of social distancing while waiting. The staggered start times worked well to minimize lapping as much as they could.

I hope you have better weather than I did!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    ES - mmmmmm, sounds like Goodwood, but i guess thats the nature of these covid safe races, that are closed off and away from local areas. The rain will have made it grim, but im not sure it can be much windier than i copped last week, although i have form with attracting bad weather. I have the choice of 2 dates/locations 2 weeks apart so would be pretty unlucky to cop 2 more bad days.

I felt sorry for Jools yday, he will have copped an absolute filthy day at IoW. It was shocking down here.
  • Cracking time ES especially given the conditions, well done and thanks too for the course description.  Weighing up whether an 8 hour round trip to Dorney to run around its lake in late November is going to be worth it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - if you could guarantee a still day, its a long way for a ropey day. But its bound to have some degree of wind.

Mlr monday came back today with 12m.
  • TR - Very happy to take a weekend out to run an overseas marathon, as good weather is normally guaranteed - Dorney Lake in November, not so much.  I will see how motivated I feel to run a sub 3 marathon as that's the draw.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - i hear you, 4hr drive and overnight stay to run round a lake on a wet and windy day........to be fair id think twice about a 4hr drive or train ride to run the normal vlm in April. But as you say its all about ticking the sub3 box, which is why i have two entries on the go a couple of weeks apart. I should have done the same for last weekend, id have taken the wet and lower winds of Dorney over Goodwood. 170ish went sub 3.......the laps thing was fine (apart from the wind and other race traffic) counting to 11 made a nice change from counting to 26......if you can book a refundable room and are prepared to lose your entry fee then you can sack it off if mother nature intervenes........we will still be doing this type of race for a while yet, so some less windy days must be out there. 
  • I'll say this for the Dorney organisers: a mate had an entry for last Sunday but found out 3 days before that he's have to self-isolate because his daughter tested positive.  The transferred his entry to November no questions asked.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    They gaveca refund to someone who was injured too.
  • Welcome back to the game TR.

It's nice to hear race organisers are being pragmatic. Easier to manage the smaller fields?

A day of two halves for me today. Got an email saying that the local club is opening up membership again and I can join, so good news there. Bad news, I think my ITB issues may be resurfacing. No pain yet but definitely tightness. Hopefully completely backing it off and getting back to stretching will sort things out. The half in December isn't booked so there's zero point in pushing through.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. bummer about the niggles returning, hope that only needs a short recovery.  Good news about the club though.  

TR.. I think you're right about races for the foreseeable future.  Racebest who organised the Elvington event up here have been using airfields as car parks for years, so it could be said they have a head start on venues.

ES.. cracking performance in awful weather, bodes well for a still day.

10.6m today, quite windy this morning so left it until afternoon.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - theres Goodwood dates for Apr, july and Sept for 2021, plus Dorney are saying there'll be more. How was the wind at Elvington?

12m
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Those attending said it was bothersome but could've been worse.  Charlie W managed 2.56 which for him is probably 5-7 mins slower than on a calm day.  My mate was after sub 37.30 for a 10k PB but reckoned the wind cost him - 37.46.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i noted charlies time, i wondered  how windy it mught have been, i doubt Charlie was as well prepared as usual......if folks call it bothersome then id have taken that over goodwood, which most folks said was something along the lines of ridiculous wind strength.
  • So I'm hearing that Tokyo will be postponed to 17th Oct next year, which would make Berlin, London, Chicago and Tokyo on consecutive weekends.  And a mate of mine has entries to all of them!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    We'll still be running round lakes and airfields then, so hopefully those entries will be spread through 2022 for him.