Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bit worrying when they're clearing the schedules 4-5months ahead!

But I think we'd take next autumn onwards being back to normal if that was offered!

In the meantime though, at least there are these lakes/private land type set ups.
    It's probably wise to enter as late as possible though - or check the cancellation policy.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one on here just disillusioned by 2021 races being postponed/cancelled and even humdrum stuff like parkrun having no foreseeable return date? Trying to stay race fit seems futile now. Think Bekele shares my sentiment; he had already said the contrived VLM looked oh so boring and that he can't be done with 50cm platform shoes! Now he has found a suitable calf injury to pull out with😏

More positively my hand swelling is going down and now feel able to run again, albeit gingerly and even managed a short bike ride today (though changing between the rings very painful😒). 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - The only thing to do right now is to keep turning over, and be ready for when there's opportunities to race fully again.

October actually looks to have some decent options. That's certainly better than nothing.

It is a bit worrying seeing even early 2021 stuff binned off to September already though, and talk of no football fans into grounds this season.

On the latter point though, on one hand I'm loving being able to see all games from both my teams on tv. There's definitely pros to every con!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the recovery from injury SG and Pete. 

I seem to have fallen away from competitive running (running will return for it's own sake) at a time when it's out of the question anyway. 

Strava segments (as competition) seem fun enough. My area appears to be in the three to ten minutes predominantly uphill. I don't bother with downhill segments, too risky.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6078852?filter=overall

Needless to say I'm quite satisfied with my age group 55-64 record

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Pete, on the subject of motivation? Better to be fit than unfit in my book. Race fit might be the icing on the cake, but a physiological reality is, that trying to remain permanently 'race fit' is a futile pursuit if wanting to actually become faster. 

Many try this. But what happens is this. A runner starts training and for about three years they see progress, pb's and their peak. Then they hit a plateau. And then for nine out of ten runners that's it. It's as good as it ever gets. They never get better. Just worse. And slower.

They blame it on age when it isn't. 

The reason is, they mistake a drop off in form as a lack of fitness and it isn't. They are fit but they need to rebuild because they don't appreciate how beat up they are.

Instead they hit the training even harder. But nothing works anymore.  And no amount of repeating sessions, tempo runs or anything intensive works. It simply delivers a puzzling gradual decline in ability.

I discovered the solution to this by accident. And it's why I've had several peaks instead of just the one.
    The second peak seven years after the first was the one where I shattered all my pb's. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is basically what's hanging over us at the moment.

Went and put a 13 in, felt fairly sprightly. Sees a solid 60 mile week in.

Took my "B" Ipod out having seen the conditions, but despite charging it for 10mins, it still died battery wise on 9miles.
    Was ok though, could feel every bit of the conditions without distraction :)

For a country with a lot of rainfall, it's amazing how few Sunday runs actually end up being rainy.

Hope the Dorney Lake marathoners found it ok - sounds absolutely torture to me!
    Those elites doing 19.75 laps are in for a mind numbing one too!
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    [/DELURK]
    RicF said:
    Pete, on the subject of motivation? Better to be fit than unfit in my book. Race fit might be the icing on the cake, ...blah...blah...

Typical RicF post:
    1. Passive-aggressive criticism.
    2. Paragraphs of absolute bilge that could've been distilled into one word: periodization.
    3. Makes out he discovered this concept.
    4. Doesn't actually give any tangible training advice.
    Ric, you've oft mentioned something along the lines of, "if you keep repeating the same mistakes, you'll end up with the same results". Perhaps it's time you applied that to your own posts ;)

[LURK]
  • Pete - I'm getting the feeling that the Government has finally got SAGE under their wing - there's no room for common sense any more. Outside activities, along as there's a bit of sensible distancing goes on, are fine. Indoors, yes, it's more tricky. But there's no budging - apparently people inside the Albert Hall are safer than sat in a football stadium with masks on. I comply - i'm not a hoax type, but starting to get more and more annoyed about this - being one of those who does outside activities a lot, but doesn't go to restaurants and pubs 'that' much.

Luckily it looks like there's a 5k mob match at Wimbledon being put on 17/10. Local clubs thing, set off in waves, 10 to score in each club.

Anyway. Did a 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1 pyramid yesterday and back on the old 17.5 mile loop that I haven't done for a while this morning. Stupidly wet obviously, but felt good - the plank stuff I have been doing with this 10 minute workout I've been following has really sorted the hipflexors out.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Ynnec said:
    [/DELURK]
    RicF said:
    Pete, on the subject of motivation? Better to be fit than unfit in my book. Race fit might be the icing on the cake, ...blah...blah...

Typical RicF post:
    1. Passive-aggressive criticism.
    2. Paragraphs of absolute bilge that could've been distilled into one word: periodization.
    3. Makes out he discovered this concept.
    4. Doesn't actually give any tangible training advice.
    Ric, you've oft mentioned something along the lines of, "if you keep repeating the same mistakes, you'll end up with the same results". Perhaps it's time you applied that to your own posts ;)

[LURK]
    I was actually trying to suggest a really good reason for Pete not to give up.

I'm of the opinion that if he stopped concerning himself with competition level fitness, that the long term effect could be enhancing the prodigious performance he has right now.

I don't consider that to be a pernicious attitude from my side of things. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Stevie G said:

The above image was an analogy for the supporters of Manchester United or Liverpool yesterday. Tough day at the office.

And that isn't being pernicious either.

🙂

• A few thoughts for Monday after a series of runs in the wet.

My normal runs are mainly offroad but around here the paths have a lot of clay or chalk and the tops part has been polished over the summer and as soon as it gets wet it becomes like an icerink. Give it a while and it will soften and the dogwalkers in big boots and mountain bikes will churn the middle bit up so the grip will return and I can get back to offroad.

In the meantime, it is interesting to see if there is any correlation between car makes and being a complete and utter arsehole. The runs I did were all on minor roads, mostly single track in the middle of the countryside and I'm wearing a bright yellow "waterproof" running top so I'm highly visible in atrocious weather (and road) conditions. Common wisdom says Audi drivers are the worst but I didn't see such. The worst I saw was a Mini who drove by as close as could be without slowing at all. A little further up the road he saw a car coming the other way and stopped and reversed up to a passing place and let the other person by. Normal selection of fast drivers with no clue what is around the corner living on a hope and a prayer. 

The TV coverage of VLM was worse than usual. If you watch a football or rugby match then you get a load of crap in the run up and afterwards but at least during the game itself the TV coverage is of the game. It seems that if someone tunes in to watch people run then they don't really want to watch people run but want to see pre-recorded clips of inspiring stories where someone's aunt walks 26 miles in 6 months and raises £2.03 for the local cat home (or insert your favourite fat-shaming story here).

It seems the organiser have not learned from their previous experiences. If someone gets to Tower Bridge on the tracker in 3 hours and then finishes in under 4 hours and misses all the timing mats then it is likely they have not run the second half in under 60 minutes and it is likely that they have missed out most the race.

Same for the Virtual Marathon. If a VW45-49 has run 2:25:14 and the masters age group record is 2:28:34 then why allow it to go up? Same for the third place, faster than the age group world record. 

It seems a shame that the lady in 4th (who is on powerof10 with a sub-80 half) cannot have her moment in the sun.

As Dan from Xempo tweeted:

Well done today to everyone who ran in the rain for their times. Especially for those who recorded the very fastest times without ever having registered even so much as a parkrun on Power of 10

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Chuckled at some of that Phil :)

But it's surely not a surprise to see a few occasional silly times making rankings before they've sifted through it.
    You get that in a lot of chipped races, let alone one where everyone is uploading their own.
    We see it on strava where they don't seem capable of having some auto tool that sifts out 2 and 3 min miling, so it's just one of those things I think.

Like a pyramid Simon.
    17.5 sounds a long one when you don't generally even race beyond 10ks though :open_mouth:

My lot have posted a session for tonight, something like 2000m, 1600m, 1200m, 800m.
    5mins, 4mins, 3mins.

Looks a totally different set of distances to what I've ever done, but those are some huge recoveries.
    May have a look at it tomorrow, or may just settle for some 5x1km or something.
  • Stevie G said:
    Chuckled at some of that Phil :)

But it's surely not a surprise to see a few occasional silly times making rankings before they've sifted through it.

I am surprised.

The website shows they were obviously prepared for unusual results:

"If you upload your result manually, it will be subject to verification and will also take longer to appear in the official results. Please note any exceptionally fast times will be subject to additional verification and are unlikely to appear on the official results until early next week."

There are 24 women under 3 hours. That is not a huge number to check by hand, you simply set a filter and do not show any times faster than 3 hours until you verify them and by that I mean that you check the time is feasible, so if you have no record on power of 10 that shows promise then you don't accept it. It is way better to add times afterwards once verified than it is to strip them out if you add before verification. I am sure a number of these will be genuine errors and people want to avoid the press we have had in last years with D-list celebs being labelled as marathon cheats. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I liked the thread on here years back about some woman called Ellan, who had produced a surprisingly fast time at Brighton marathon years ago, beating our own Curly in the process.

Except Curly hadn't seen her at all ahead of her.
    She wasn't in any photos around a certain part of the course.
    She's absolutely battered all of her previous marathon times by massive amounts, and had absolutely nothing even close to pro-rata across any distances in her fairly substantial amount of years of running.

Some of her club mates came on to back her up, and comically claimed she'd "targeted" this one race, but not any of the others. Ever.
  • Completely agree with Phil - London coverage was cr*p. I want to watch people running fast. Kept flipping onto the red button coverage which was uninterrupted, but it had rubbish commentators - no idea why they had to have separate for each feed.

Also enjoyed the virtual marathon results debacle. Was always going to be a car crash. Really don't get it at all - although it was actually nice to see loads of them doing it around Battersea Park on Sunday - very friendly running atmosphere. 

Had a race last weekend. Half ironman triathlon. Not a bad showing. Swim was shortened to 750m coz it was freezing. Took about 2 hours to warm up once I was on the bike. Averaged 23mph over 57 miles on what was a fairly lumpy bike course (800m elevation).

Run was probably the most pleasing part. 1:22 half marathon, and measured accurately. Added to that, course was a bit off-road, twisty, undulating. Next %'s took a bit of a battering..

Only good enough for 34th overall and 3rd in AG. I think the field was stronger than usual as everyone was desperate for a race. About 15 of those were the pro's though.

Got another adventure lined up next week. Cycling John O Groats to Lands End. 250-300km a day for 6 days, with a couple of mates. Should be a laugh.. 
  • I missed the London Marathon coverage but the BBC are not interested in their audience any more. It's all about diversity, I expect the stories were awash with all sorts of makes and models of people. All except the types of people that watch it. You'd think given most the elites are black they'd be loving it. 
    My wife insists on watching live television, otherwise I would have cancelled the license fee a while back.

Sorry to hear about the accident Pete but well done on the 10k. I also have a hand/wrist injury from crashing my bike on the ride back from Pembrokeshire, not sure if I mentioned it. Just typing this bile is making it hurt and that was 6 weeks ago. Pretty sure I cracked a bone in there. I've stupidly done a few rides but it hurts the whole time  :D
    That sounds like quite a mammoth effort coming up Joe, cracking performance in the half. Must have been a stacked race.
    Solid 3 hr marathon TR.
    Good to see PMJ back, I have to say when it comes to running/cycling I can't find a consistent pattern in car types and behaviour. I notice it when driving, Toyota Prius drivers are the most incompetent but a million miles.
    After 6 weeks of no motivation I can feel the desire starting to burn now and I am starting to think about races, I am reluctant to lay down Ironman money at this stage though. Not whilst Matt Limpcock is in charge.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you back on Joe - enthusiastic, encouraging people are always welcome on here!

Looks a classic JB adventure coming up - though I'd have thought for a man of your ability a mere cycle of it is a bit passé ;)
    I read about some geezer taking a month walking/running it :)

Reg - mad little injuries are so you! And too right, certainly isn't wise to boot any serious money into a race right now - unless there's a 100% refund policy.

I normally look at the sessions the club post and think that's silly, as they have a tendency to aim them at the slower members of the club - ie suggesting 25-30mins of 5k effort or quicker within a session!

The session they posted Monday was a little along those lines, 
    2000m,1600,1200m,800m, starting decently quicker than 5k pace, and ending way quicker than it!
    Off 5mins-4mins-3mins - which are some severe recoveries, especially if you have somewhere to be of a morning.

Therefore, I made it off 2:30 

And it all panned out as the below average laps for the chunks
    2000m - 1.26
    1600m - 1.24
    1200m - 1.22
    800m -   1.18.5

Bearing in mind my last 5k was 17.36 which is about 5.40 a mile pace, and thus around 1.25 a lap, that'll do for a session working in, around and nicely under the pace, and a good variety on the straight sessions based on 1 distance, especially the shorter ones.
  • Nice session, SG. Are they running proper club sessions now? TVT track starts this week, although it doesn't run in the summer anyway due to numbers.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    They've been going for about 4-6 weeks or so I think (time is hard to measure as a concept right now!)

It followed the government's typically loose decision to allow "grass roots" sport to recommence beyond the previous limit of 6, but the club were getting hung up on England Athletics line on their site about "12 runners per coach".

In the end I contacted them a few times, and I believe 12 runners per coach is actually a "best practice" thing in normal times, and isn't a covid thing at all.
    Plus what you get at most road clubs is a "session leader" (person with a whistle) rather than an actual coach anyway.

So the actual current rule panned out to be that you can have an "unlimited" amount of runners, as long as it's a covid secure environment.

So we put together a plan, have a policy on our site, and have a register anyone who attends has to sign in advance. Similarly, if anyone did come down with it, they have to go through the Track n trace thing, and then they'd contact our lot for a list of runners, who they'd then contact.

Bearing in mind that bloody GDPR thing is added to the mix, and you can see what an absolute hassle it is just for a club run.
    No wonder most race organisers can't be bothered with it, bearing in mind they'd have all of the above, plus a million authorities to get it past too.

However - yes we're up and running again, and I'm not surprised other local clubs don't realise they could be too.
  • We've been up and running since the lockdown supposedly ended a few months back. I haven't been swimming yet partly because I can't be arsed to jump through hoops to get there. 'Covid safe' always makes me laugh, it's like saying we are having training in a vacuum. What it should be called is pointless pissing in the wind environment. One of my favourite moments was seeing Lana Del Ray's mask yesterday, utter genius!

• Not sure what the dude in the background is up to.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Using an icing bag for thrills dressed as a Michael Jackson tribute act.
    What's your confusion?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    First 10miler for 5 weeks today.
    After doing countless 10s on furlough, it was almost like a refusal to do 10s, stopping at 9.5 three times, but today I relented.

International weekend in the football, which although probably a good thing for my two woefully struggling teams, is still a bit of an ass. Can't stand international footy unless it's in a tournament.
  • So did 6 x 1200 at Luton Tuesday, 14 with rucksack yesterday, in London today so thought I’d go along the canal this morning. Did about 22 36 second reps. Felt OK. 

Running with my mate Pete on his 3rd marathon Saturday. Probably try 3 laps (about 16). Trouble is he’s going for sub3, so going to be 6.30’s slowest. Hmm. 
  • Hello All!

I invented a new type of running belt during lock down that allows you to work your upper body simultaneously (which as we know is also very important for runners). I'd be very keen to see if anyone feels that this would improve their training programs. Any feedback is very much welcomed! The website is www.exbelt.co.uk. Hopefully I hear from some of you soon!

If anyone is interested on how it came about, please also get in touch! It's all a new venture of mine and I'm excited to share it! I am also looking for running ambassadors too :D

Please don't read this is a cheap sales pitch. I really am looking for all feedback possible as it's a completely new product never seen before.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wonderfully casual sounding as always Simon :)

Impending new lockdown stuff from the gov. Hopefully it doesn't touch the very small amount of races down here. Seems to be more a Northern and upper midlands thing for now?
  • What's with the cheap sales pitch?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Careful with that wrist Reg

Simon - you could cruise 6.30s all the way and tick off a casual 2.50.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    What's with the cheap sales pitch?
    Lol TR; have a look at the website Reg and you may be more enthused ;)