Sub 3

Comments

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Joe - Take it easy, good call to back-off for a short while. Hope it sorts it.
    CD - That's bonkers, tough call to make what to go for.  Presume you will be heading to Tokyo? On a theme, Malaga scheduled for Dec 2020 will now happen Dec 2021.
    TR - That prediction looks right, so decided to double-book May 8th 2021 which is the date for the Geneva marathon (I expect to be cancelled) for my first Olympic Tri in 4 years so swimming in and running around a lake, cycling elsewhere.  12m well done, your back on it. 
    3m recovery runs y'day and today, same for rest of week, maybe something a few miles longer on Sunday.
  • TR - a fairly doomsday view on 2021 but unfortunately I agree that a city marathon is probably a long way away. Schedule for 2021 is pretty sparse otherwise so I think we might be relying on monthly events perhaps, e.g. a marathon at Dorney on the first weekend of every month.

OO - Like the sound of that. Wouldn't fancy the lake swimming myself but once that's over and done with should be a nice event!

Think my shoes were getting a bit overworn (~500 miles) so I've bought new ones which have arrived. Hoping that helps with little niggles. No running today or yesterday and may do nothing tomorrow as well given I have two nights of curry and drinking coming up.

I appreciate seeing world records broken make athletics a little more exciting but it's very hard to believe that it's all down to being better athletes. What happens when the shoe technology can't be progressed any further?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - ooh, its cold in thw water at that time of yr, as as runner i preferred to swim 400m more which gave me another 30m on the bike and 7m of running to make gains.

Joe - some smaller races could come back, but it depends if they want to. Ill stick to lakes and airfields if reqd, and they do offer other distances.

6m easy
  • Right with you there, TR.  Didn't we do the Swashbuckler two weeks after VLM one year?  It was in May, certainly, and a bit bracing!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - yes, we did it a few times. As you say one year it was really early in May, i went for a swim at Southsea the week before to get used to the cold and lasted about 5 mins. OO will be better prepared than you or me as he swims in tha Atlantic!

Had a day off today, so took the doggy out early as usual and then went straight out for 8ish miles around 7.30, nnice day so ended up running to southsea which made it longer, ended up doing 16m and was on fumes, as it was all fuelled by a few beers last night and some juice before walkies.

OO - just cleared out some old paint pots and clutter in garage ready for a tip run later.......in a bag of old beach kit i found a car park ticket for Harlyn Bay.
  • TR - 16m more than decent, was a lovely morning for it.  Harlyn Bay,  my go to beach,  likely to be paying a visit on my bike tomorrow, might take my wetsuit too.
    I do remember my first Tri in May 2016.  I am not sure if this was a joke, but the organiser said he couldnt start us until the sea water temperature hit 10C.  Felt sorry for my brother who was in a shortie wetsuit that morning. 
    4m coastal run in the sun this morning, legs still feeling a bit stiff but much better
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    OO - sounds great. We've been there often too.

10m easy here, most round and round the sportsfields.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Similar here TR, 10.5m - managed to get out this morning in the more pleasant half of the day.  Intermittent heavy showers this afternoon.  Curry and a few Kingfishers later.

OO.. sorry to see Malaga got pulled but inevitable I suppose.

Joe.. I can usually tell when my shoes are ready for relegation to pub trips etc.  Either the cushioning has deteriorated and/or the shoe feels loose or has tears/holes in it.  I've got a pair on their last legs now, a couple of boxed replacements are at the ready. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice, how was the curry?

8m here, 9 or 10 degrees and sunny at 9am, with a bit of breeze. A much better day for a marathon down here than the last 2 sundays, no surprises there.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Murphy's law of marathon weather, TR!

Lovely here, too. 10 with 4 X 1 mile @ HMP yesterday and then 17 today to make 54 for the week.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Some nice mileage there Joolska and Wardi.
    TR - It had to be did'nt it. 

Snap, sunny and bright with a 7m steady run to follow y'days 8m steady one and MTB ride to Harlyn Bay so a decent weekend so far for out and about.  Possibly a sea swim at Harlyn later today if CBA, its the time of year when the water temp is higher than the air temp. 

Alas, cannot do Dorney Lake marathon now either due to a family clash but looking to run the Kempton Park Half Marathon organised by the Run Through team, in mid November and then a local hilly Cornish one on 20 Dec.  So a few races in the diary to keep me motivated, ship shape and Bristol fashion for 2021 and the return of city marathons at some stage.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - thats a good couple of days back to back. Do you have any race plans ? Ive seen rumours of XC leagues coming back in a CV19 safe style.

OO - shame re Dorney, but you've saved yourself from a weather beating, as I'll be there.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. Chicken Tezab, not a common dish but quite a hot one and very flavoursome - yum!  Yes always sod's law with the weather.  I remember doing the Brass half in a strong gale in recent years (LMH ran it too).  The following day you could have floated a feather vertically!
    Joolska.. that's a decent weekend of exercise.
    OO.. good to see races re-appearing in whatever form.  Is the Kempton Park event in/around the racecourse? 

I was up near my old place of work in York today, so had a run down the riverbank trail to the city centre & back, very pretty route.  Just over 8m done which brings up 56m for the week.  
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Next scheduled race is VLM 2021... I'm not mad keen on racing right now and can genuinely see the benefits in very gradually increasing the mileage and intensity over another 6 to 9 months whilst continuing to focus on sorting out imbalances.
  • Sounds like a good week that Joolska!

Wardi - Another week of good mileage. Haven't heard of that one. I went for a new curry on Friday and instantly regretted it. I feel like a commoner but I can't go wrong with the Tikka Massala at my local.

OO - Bright start to the training?

20 miles or so for me this week with some ITB-focused exercises. It seems to be under control. I should be able to run 4/5 miles a day leisurely to keep some fitness and gradually improve the knee. Fingers crossed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - as hot as jalfrezi ? Vindaloo? If you like a hot one, you can buy an Atomic Vindaloo thats pretty fiery and a Carolina reaper thats is HOT !both from Iceland of all shops, ive a mate who is a hot curry man.

Jools - fair do's. I do wonder if vlm will happen even in a years time though.

Joe - good rehab work.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. madras plus I would say.  Though as I have discovered the hotness of dishes tends to vary from restaurant to restaurant.  e.g.. the Jalfrezi from my local takeaway is very hot indeed, I have had Jalfrezi elsewhere that are a notch or two down from that.

Joe.. tikka massala (to continue the curry theme) is a Brit favourite, very tasty but a bit mild for me.  I must admit I am often led astray by my sister's lad who regards anything weaker than a madras as the work of the devil.  :p
    Hope the lower mileage and exercises sort you out.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Beautiful today here too. I'd take a day like today on 6th Dec. 

Good to see some pencilling in races, others planning for the future too. I've seen an increase in races locally as well as organised time trials. However, I can see all that coming to end with the tier system being introduced tomorrow. 

I did go outside today as it was too nice. Felt great and finished a hilly 20 miler strongly. That was another 60 mile week. The week also included a 15 midweek, a 13 and a 10 miler with 5 miles tempo all done indoors. 

I was interested to see how doing 60% of mileage indoors would affect my legs but they seemed good today. 

Just need to keep it going for another 6-7 weeks. Having said that, I'm not sure I can get totally up for this event. I'm still having to talk myself into most runs, today was no exception. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i find restaurant and take away strengths more normal, supermarket stuff is usually less hot. But i guess they have to err on the lower side.

SJ - sounds like you are going well, that was a good week of mara prep. To be fair Goodwood has a different feel to it and i was a bit flat beforehand, some of which was probably due to the wind and ecpecting to drop out,  but once you get going you have plenty of rime to talk yourself into it.

12m tonight, rained the whole way, was pretty cold and wet by the end.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. well gritted out, 12m in persistent rain can't have been much fun.
    SJ.. nice 20 and a good week in the bank.

Pretty miserable day up here too, steady 5m this afternoon by which time it had 'improved' to light drizzle.  
  • SJ - Sounds like your in good form and always a positive to finish a hilly 20 milers strongly, good looking week. Not bad for when your mojo is not at its highest.  I think that's where we are all at!
    TR - Squelchy.
    8.5m lunchtime run, started off drizzling, then a few hailstorms to be finished off in glorious sunshine.  Good few sunny days on the way here, thank heavens.  
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd pop my head in to say hello and that I hope all are doing well in these crazy times! 

I can imagine it has been a bit of a mess for all of you with the lack of races, etc, but it has actually played out in my favour, so silver linings I guess (at least for me :) ).

Minimal running here this year - Strava tells me I'm currently on 778m for the year after today's run (first double digits in longer than I can remember). I strained the ACL and MCL on my left knee and ended up with 12 weeks of practically nothing. I took the time to research on fibromyalgia, and 18 months post diagnosis I seem to be getting to grips with it.

So after a few weeks of 20-30 miles I decided to have a go at rebuilding. Currently working to Pete Pftizinger's Faster Road Racing approach (obviously with some tweaks of my own) and thoroughly enjoying it. First 3 weeks have been 28m, 35m, and 36m (actually a down week - pretty much just a week of jogging). This week has started well and given me hope that I can actually get to a decent standard again, so fingers crossed!

Hardest part of dealing with the fibro has been adopting a keto diet, but when I stick to it the differences in my energy levels are incredible - the biggest problem is the lack of keto beers so that's next on my list to investigate. I'm always open to recommendations if anybody has any?

How did everybody get on at London?
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Had a quick flick back. Well dones to CD, ES, LMH, OO, & TR (3:0:0 dead!!!). App sounds like a bit of a nightmare. 

I raced around Dorney (quite) a few years back. It's exposed so any wind will be noticeable. I'm not sure who's running events down there now, but I know a group called F3 events were one of several a few years back and were notorious for dodginess galore apparently (short courses where they tried to piggy back other event's certified courses, baggage issues, etc).
  • SJ - wouldn't have thought you'd need too many more weeks like that to have a fair crack on the 6th. There has been some beautiful mornings lately...although the afternoons haven't always followed.

TT - hadn't heard of that. Sounds like a book that could have been quite useful to me recently. Your recent mileage is similar to mine and it can still lead to some pretty useful gains, especially in the shorter races.

4/3/5/5 miles in last 4 days. Good to be getting out there. No pain still but a feeling that I ought to be a bit stronger. Threw down a few quicker kms today on the basis that the 5k/10k training didn't seem to do any damage. Pleased to be hitting good paces.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. seems like you've been through the mill in more ways than one.  Good to see the knee problem is over and you seem to have got a handle on the fibro condition too.  Best of luck with the beer search too, can't be doing without those! ;)

Joe.. sensible approach to keeping the miles low for now, if you can put in a bit of fast stuff without discomfort it's a good sign.

OO.. hailstones & sun, typical British weather combo.  Looks like it's settling down up here from Weds/Thursday.

Raining most of the day here though it has thankfully cleared up in time for my club run tonight.  Should be 7.5-8m by the time I get back.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    OO - sunny days would be good, but its starting to be running in the dark now.

TT - good to see you are still battling away. F3 are still putting races on at DL, but not the marathons in question.

I set off for 3m easy, 7m mp this morning, but was too achey so compromised with 7m mp+10%.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    OO - cheers, I needed that run on Sunday. I think it will keep me going for another couple of weeks. Ticking them off one by one. Some nicer days would be ideal although that could mean the lawn gets another cut.

TT - Good to see you popping in. Also great to read some positive solutions for the fibro condition. Pete has more than one book?? 😜

Joe - Running quicker will be having neuromuscular adaptations and adding strength so if running shorter distances isn’t causing issues keep it up. You are probably right especially when I consider the back to back campaigns of the last few years being in the bank. I was surprised how good I felt on Sunday. Some soreness yesterday however, more to do with shoes that have over 600km on them.

Wardi - I’ve become so soft where the weather is concerned. I’m not even bothering to look out for weather windows!

TR - you are back into things quickly which bodes well. The recent race obviously was well within yourself. A fair day should see a nice improvement.

Speaking of shoes, I’ve struggled today trying to source my usual slightly older models. I can only see autumn 2020 versions at full retail. I’m interested in the new tech, specifically the new lighter foam. Has anyone any experience of these? Every brand seems to have lighter, bouncier foam this season. Caught myself looking at carbon plate shoes from Saucony too 😳 the dark side!

13km including some strides tonight... indoors. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    SJ - i reckon the wind cost me some mins, add a bit more for a bigger race environment, add a bit for the kitchen sink.......i regret not buying more pairs of saucony rides a couple of months ago for £50 - £60. The pair i used at Goodwood might have to be held back ready for Dorney. The next edition are still ~£100, and the new ones £125.....  what Asics are you after? There is an Asics outlet at gunwarf quays, if they have what you want at a sensible price for you, i can go there for you.
  • TR - that’s a very kind offer but I switched to Saucony myself a few pairs back. I do still have a couple of pairs of Asics that are still in rotation but they are long overdue retirement. As it goes, some more searching tonight online unearthed a couple of autumn 2019 rides from start fitness for £70 a pair so hopefully bouncing along again by the end of the week. 

Agree with all your assessments there. Oulton Park will be interesting because of the elevation changes. I will likely run to effort early doors and not worry too much about paces until end of each lap or every 5k. I’ve deliberately chosen flat races to try and PB, so this one presents a different challenge to some degree.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - totally agree. Luckily there seems to be plenty of options to try out :)

TR - glad to hear it's not F3 doing them. I might have to have a look at some stage when I've got some fitness back.

sj - amazingly yes! It even has a section for masters runners. Even more amazingly I've actually read that section. Lol. There is a lot of Lydiard influence/crossover, particularly with the MP+10% sections (same paces as Lydiard's 1/2 effort 10 milers). Definitely worth a read.

joe - it's a great book. Covers 5km-HM. Traditionally I have been higher mileage, and I'm hoping to work my way back up to that (though topping out at less than I would have traditionally done), but he provides a variety of schedules for different levels.