Sub 3h15

Comments

• Hi Everyone! Long time. I think I last posted early in the pandemic. My professional life has been dominated by relentless pacing. But it's amazing to watch the full force of science apply itself to the problem at hand. 

Somehow I've been living on about 4.5 to 5 hr sleep per night. The one thing that has keep the wild ups and downs at bay has been my daily runs. I crave them lately and use them in ways I never fully took advantage of before. I've been using the time to think through the my biggest challenges and problems (of the day, week, or bigger). Somehow it's helped me zero in on solutions and bleed off anxiety so that I hit the shower with a solution and my mood improved. 

OO, I also crossed the 2K mile mark this week. No proper long runs this year, but have been doing subLTs all along. Absolutely humming right now. Running near PB pacing from last year without the LRs. Makes me sad to think what my planned Oct marathon could have yielded with a full build up, but next year will do just fine.

My other big news (geeky runner news) is that I bought a Garmin Fenix 6X. This was an upgrade to my 910XT that I'd had for 10 years (and no longer held a charge). Love love love this watch. Incredible battery life, holds up to 2000 songs, connects to nonwired blue tooth headphone (yes, finally cut the cord so to speak), monitors my sleep and overall HR rhythms, and about a million other things I haven't discovered yet. So fun. Was expensive, but I'll use this one for another 10 years, and over that span not so bad.

Badbark, you are mad. Incredible 120+ mile performance. Superhuman and I can't really imagine. I keep expecting to see you on a Netflix documentary:)

OO, hope your daughter gets better soon and that the hip mends quickly too. She's young and will be fine. We had several of my lab group get this back in March. Lots of rest and time will do the trick.

Impressive running going on here. Hope everyone is well and stays safe! 
  • DT - you are in fine fettle indeed. Yes, strange running at lunchtime. Who gave permission to all those other people to be out there getting in the way! Bit odd too running in work clothes (no time to change other than my shoes).
    VTr - great to hear from you. Sounds like you've been very busy doing some vital work for the greater good, thank you. Hope you can get a bit more sleep soon - I'm sure that can't be good for you long term. The new watch sounds good - the battery on mine is useless and I think I've only had it 2 years.
    First double digit run for what seems like ages this morning. 10 miles with a session adapted from one I read that Ron Hill used to do regularly. Basically it's a strides session, but he would start out counting 20 double strides, then 20 easy, 25 strides, 25 easy etc.. building up to maybe 60, 70 or 80 and then work back down again. I went up to 75 and then on the way down, I thought of DT and just took 20 easy for the recoveries each time. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul I think you need to clarify what running in 'work clothes' actually means 🤣. That run seems very complicated but good double digit effort.
    Good to hear from you VT and thanks for the great work you are doing. It's clearly keeping you motivated. And surprising you can run so well on so little sleep. I hope it gets better.
    Feeling a bit pooped today, but will  have a swim later. Tough club session last night but the hip came through.
  • OO - pleased to hear the hip held up. I'm working from home still, so didn't run in a suit! Just casual trousers, shirt and zipper, plus a thin jacket as there were quite a few showers yesterday (but fortunately not while I was out).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm still struggling with the image of you running 10 miles in work clothes- that is some serious dedication right there 👌
  • No, it was only 2.41 miles in work clothes yesterday lunch time! 10 miler this morning was in usual running garb :)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    And the prize for the nuttiest nut goes to ... Madbark! Jaysus, that was proper mental. I can't fathom doing that kind of mileage and it sounded so grim in parts. I would not enjoy it at all but fair play to you. 

Cheers all. I have been trying to get out more consistently than I have been for the past year or so. I have given myself a target of at least 5 runs a week which I haven't been doing for ages but the last few weeks have been better in that respect. I miss racing and especially the bigger events. There are local races on here as we are living in our own bubble but I haven't done any this year. I am not in racing shape at all, in fact nowhere good shape but I can get the fitness back before Christmas arrives.

DT - Sounds like you're in super nick. I hope you can race soon.

Gul - I've not run further than a 10 for about 7 months and that is far enough for me right now. Re your run in work clothes. I once saw a guy in a half marathon here dressed in corduroy trousers, no top and what looked like hobnail boots. He looked crazy, not saying you did.  :p

SBD - That was a bizarre incident. Hopefully the rest has done you good and you're back to your great form again soon.

G-Dawg - You do love those muddy trails and the banter with your buddies. Keep enjoying it! 

VTr - Great to hear from you. Sounds flat out. Glad you're enjoying your new watch. 

OO - Hope your daughter recovers well. My mum caught it but she was asymptomatic. Yeah that was a brilliant day when we ran Jersey. Hope you can visit again in the not too distant future. 

Off out for a lunch run now. Keep well everyone.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul 🤣
    Hey Gerard good to hear from you. Very lucky if you have local races, you need to bite the bullet and give yourself a target 🤔
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is keeping well.
    I think I am over my groin injury now, tried a couple of test runs last week and start of this and could feel it so canned them both early, but yesterday went well so got 6 miles in, followed by 10 today, touch wood everything went well, will take it easy for a couple of weeks to check it is good but hopefully on the road to recovery.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's more like it with the recovery, Gul. I think I'd have taken a slightly long lunch as opposed run in work gear, unless you wear casuals as the normal?

Gérard, yes I've got back much quicker than I thought I would. Hope the run went well. 

Ian, glad to hear you are good to go again. 

Usual Friday Tempo today aiming for 160bpm. For once the weather was good so I fancied I might be close to sub 40 based on previous weeks in rubbish weather. It was 6m but decided if it were there I'd extend to 10k. Came in 39.48 for 162 bpm, though my hrm spiked to 200bpm in the first minute or so which nudged it on. 

Nice to run a sub 40 10k at moderate effort whilst crossing roads etc. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Just in case anyone is interested, I’m running in the Backyard World Championships tomorrow. That’s 4.2 miles every hour on the hour until only one remains. The record is 68 hours (or yards as they call them) while my best is only 24. It’s easy, until it’s not. I’m number 14 for team Ireland.

There are 26 countries, with 15 people per country and one winner.

https://vacationwithoutacar.com/2020-bigdog-wc/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142055916440410/

https://www.facebook.com/ATLASRUNNING/

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    SBD. said:

We need a picture of the running outfit Badbark.  Great work!

• GM - hobnail boots; was it Emil Zatopek?! Hope you can take advantage of the local races soon.
    Ian - that's good news. Just be careful now.
    DT - great tempo run.
    Badbark - there is mad and there is just plain bonkers!!! And you are the man for the job. All the best mate. Fun photos from the other weekend, although disappointed not to see the ball and chain :)
    7 mile recovery run this morning. Off to York tomorrow. Miss GD the younger has decided to come back and study from home. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done DT, youre in good shape. Hope it keeps progressing.

Gul, i was picturing vicars robes
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics, Badbark. You look about as bonkers as you in fact are!!

Probably a sensible decision on your daughters part, Gul. 

Thanks, TR. Even my watch is telling me I'm in good shape. I've been peaking 3 times in last 3 weeks and I hit a new vo2 max high of 62 after todays run. 

Easy 15  today. Wasn't feeling great having gone on a 15 hour booze session yesterday midday but running felt easier than sitting around. 15 in 7.57mm average for possibly my lowest effort level (both hr and perception) I can recall. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - nice. My garmin has less faith. It currently predicts i could run 3.15, cheeky bugger was there when i did 3.00 on a  very windy day recently too. I'll prove it wrong in a few weeks time.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You need to have a word with that watch TR, most are keen to flatter you but yours has attitude 🤭
    You recovery from injury is most impressive DT, not to mention from a hangover.
    I did an easy 12 miler for a 41 mile week. Fancy getting back on the track today, but nothing crazy.
  • TR - vicar's robes, ha ha! No, I'm not an official member of the clergy :)
    DT - flying high indeed.
    OO - yes, take care of that hip.
    I wonder if Badbark is still running round his backyard?
    First MLR since early August today - 12 miles. 8 progressive miles to the supermarket to buy a missing ingredient and then 4 steady miles home.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great pics of Badbark!!  :D
    Nippy stuff off an alternative refueling session, DT.

Back to the Surrey Hills on Saturday for what should have been a hilly 13 to 15 banter-fest with the lads.
    They know the routes better than I do over there so I leave the navigation to them. We were trying to get to Box Hill, get over it and return to the car park. 
    We took a couple of wrong turns but we could see the town of Dorking in the distance so we weren't that far off. We got there only to find a big sign saying, 'Welcome to Leatherhead'.
    We had massively missed our target. Instead of just a few miles to go we had about 9, were weren't even halfway!  :D

A mate had an App called Komoot. The App was like a trail running sat-nav. It picked our way back to the car park by directing on a trails only route. It was brilliant.

We ended up doing 18.5 miles, my furthest for some time and powered on under half a litre of water and a single gel. A cracking run in the end, recent weeks of training over there has clearly conditioned my legs to cope with the hilly stuff.

I think we may use the App next time to get us to where we want to go!

A 4 mile recovery yesterday brought 38 up for the week. Still ticking over.
  • GD - sounds like  a cool app - nice run :)
    Overslept after a late night, so just 4 steady miles this morning :(
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    This oversleeping is getting to be a bit of a habit, Gul:D

Low mojo this morning but I knew I'd feel better once I hit the trails. Standard Tuesday 8 mile route and felt quite strong.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Goid going G Dawg two solid runs.
    Gul what can we say 🙄
    Swim and run today. The run is a tough track sesh- slightly nervous about that.
  • GD - well done getting out anyway.
    OO - how did the track session go?
    Normal service resumed okay this morning. 12 mile easy/steady MLR.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's more like it, Gul.

Took the puppy for a walk this morning as I wanted to try something on the speed work side today, so ran at lunchtime. 7 miles with intervals of 8 x half miles off 90 sec walk/jog recoveries. Felt like hard work but the 8 efforts averaged 6.23 with the best at 6.01.
    Average for the 7.5 miles was 6.57, a pleasing stat as it felt slow at times.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some good paces there  gdawg. 

Nice mlr, gul. Good to see normal service resuming. 

Hope the track session went well, oo? 

I've ticked on this week. Had my first rough session yesterday of 3 x 2m off 1m aiming for hmp. Problem was first 3m were straight into a headwind and I burnt my matches chasing pace into it. I wasn't feeling great in wu however so it didn't surprise. Reps came in 6.33/6.32, 6.31/6.26, 6.27/6.26 so it wasn't as atrocious as it felt. 

Day off today to get ready for hols so 10m mlr this morning. 

I've had a troublesome left ear for a few months now. Anyway it erupted Sunday and I'm now on strong antibiotics, drops and pain killers. I've never had such pain in a ear. It's like toothache in my ear. 

Hopefully it'll ease for hols. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope the meds work on the ear, DT. Sharp session despite the wind a feel. Nice one!

Enjoy the hols.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My daughter had that DT, very nasty and quite disgusting as I recall.
    That's brilliant GD most impressive pace.
    Gul glad you are finally back on it 😉. Yes the track was fine. I didn't go flat out as the hip was a tad achey. However no reaction today, so it will be a double day with 10 total. 
    I noticed I should get near my 2551 annual mileage record from 2 years ago. It's something to aim for in an otherwise crap, non race year. This is assuming no more hip induced easy weeks.

• GD - cracking intervals.
    DT - ouch, hope the ear heals up soon. Good work on the intervals.
    OO - pleased all went well at the track. Excellent miles. I'm still just short of 2,000 after 3 very low key months.
    8 mile recovery run this morning.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think the antibiotics have started to work as it's not so painful that I need codeine, back to paracetamol. Yes, I've had some crap coming out of it!!

Nice early 8, gul. 

10m yesterday in the rain was quite pleasant and delivered yet another pace v hr best. Spin this morning done. Running lunchtime. Meant to be 4 but it's a glorious autumnal sunny day and I feel good (plus after today I'm on holiday so nominal running if any) so going to hit lanes for 7 or 8. 

I dont know if you guys have seen it but the guys who organise the dorney lake races have announced a mara on 3rd April. Theres a sub 3 start at 9am and a 3-4 hour start at 11am.  It's Easter weekend so thinking of making a long weekend of it. The local premier inn is currently £36 a night fri, Saturday and Sunday. Anyway, just thought I'd mention as last time, of a 500 ish field about 140 were sub 3 and they seem to have mastered covid safe. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - Im in for Dorney in April, folks said it was mainly cross wind last time so was still quick. Im there in 4 weeks too.

I saw there was a Next % and Alphafly drop today.