Saturday 17th October 2020 Got myself a cryin', talkin', sleepin', walkin',

Morning!

Lyrics: Got myself a cryin', talkin', sleepin', walkin'...

What: hopefully an hour off road

Why: MLR

Go well, Hazel!

A mile, Wabo?

Back later.
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday’s lyrics- Cake By The Ocean by DNCE.

Hope you enjoy the race Hazel.

Legs feeling a bit better today Alehouse? Don’t forget to stretch!

Not sure my knee is going to cooperate this morning but I shall try a short run as per my rehab program.

Lyrics - yes.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning
    Lyrics yes
    Mile challenge yes alehouse, enjoy the hour
    Lmh hope the knee does behave

What warm up, mile challenge, warm down  4 miles in total
    Why feeling better thankfully
    Last hard yesterday
    Last rest 31/12/16
    Off to see my mum today, by train
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Did the mile correct this time. 8 mins. Happy with that considering I had a dog jump at me (large one) and then let me feel his teeth on my arm. Not quite a bit just a slight mark
  • Morning again!

Well done Wabo...but sorry to hear about the dog. 

What: 80 minutes, at least 10k of which was off road

Why: will be this week's LSR.

Stretches later, LMH! Hope your run was ok.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Also hoping your knee held up, LMH.

Jeez, wabo 😱 that's terrifying. Nice mile time 👍

That sounds like a good run, ale.

Race well, Hazel.

Weather still shit here. This must be the wettest week ever 😐
    Walked to the shops for some groceries. Hopefully there's less rain after lunch so that we can do a longer walk.
  • Morning

What 5.11 miles
    Why 5k time trial and cool down
    Last hard:Tiredness
    Lyrics: yes

Time trial went well faster than August by 2 minutes and with me  not running full pelt either as Grumpy achilles and people and dogs.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sorry to hear about the dog incident Wabo, well done on finishing your fast mile regardless.

Sorry to hear about the continued bad weather chicksta, hope it picks up.

That’s a nice improvement Poppy.

Once I got through the first painful half mile it was a lovely run Alehouse though my knee wasn’t great walking this afternoon. I’m supposed to run again tomorrow but will have to see how it feels when I walk Lola.
  • Afternoon

Great mile time Wabo, sorry about the dog incident. Travel well to your mum's. Glad the head issue is ok now. Hope your brother is okay.

Nice LSR Ale. Are these getting longer now or just my impression?

Shame about the rain Chicksta, is a bit restrictive in the mountains. Loved the pool picture yesterday, probably a bit nippy now but lovely in summer. OMM also do good overtrousers.

Great time trial WP.

Must be nice to see some new kids joining up Dustin, at that age I guess it is no longer term decision to stick with the sport.

Glad you were able to run LMH and was able to enjoy it too. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. What did Lola think to the beach? Can actually imagine some dogs don't enjoy them much, the chase the ball variety usually love them though.

Hopefully less grey and damp over the weekend OH and Els?

What: 11.5 k in 52:18, 3:29 course PB (run once in 2016)
    Why:  localish race (proper report later, should finally get in the shower none available on site and needed tea and food after getting home)
    Last hard: hill between km 3 and 4
    Last rest 30.03

Lyrics: no
  • Afternoon!

Well done Hazel! Look forward to the report!

Hope all is manageable in the morning, LMH!

re my longer runs, the longest has been 16.1, but generally they are around 13k or so. However, the longest since the 16 three weeks ago was only 10.6. 
  • Well done Hazel! Lola seemed a bit unimpressed but she is dealing with a lot of new things this weekend.

Me too Alehouse but if it isn’t then I’m hoping that it will be ok for Arun before we head home on Monday.
  • Impressive, Hazel. Massive course PB 👏 OMM do really good gear. A bit pricey but worth it.

Fingers crossed, LMH.

18k walked this afternoon. Some of it in light drizzle and some in the dry.
  • So, one vat of melted cheese and some (too much?) white wine later.  Sorry, long:

5th F40, 17th Lady overall, 52:18 (First lady: 45:24) / 11.5k / 160 + / -

The Bürenlauf is a more or less local race I have run once before in 2016 but not since as often had a clash with other races or I was on holiday. Büren is a small town on the river Aare . If I remember correctly OH has taken a dip in this in the past but quite a few miles further upstream near Berne. It features a small old town and a covered wooden bridge.

I signed up for this race about 3 weeks ago whilst the Covid numbers were actually falling. Wouldn't likely have done so short term (no EOD anyway) with the current explosion in numbers but having paid I decided to use my number. Another lady from my Tuesday group, Sandra, was also taking part so also a nice social aspect to it. We drove the 15 mins to the location, parked up and got orientated, the start having been moved away from the finish and changed rules for changing rooms / showers etc – only a bag drop available. Sandra had signed up for a slower time so started some 20 minutes after me in block 2. The 500 runners in the main race (others also available) were split into just 2 blocks which I found surprising but distancing in the start block, masks and the rolling start worked well. The speaker announced there would be no gun just an off you go and the chip measures the time – found this quite relaxing. Conditions were good – around 8 degrees and little wind. Having checked the start list pre race I knew I was unlikely to podium in my age group having recognized some faster familiar names but I thought I would have a go at my course PB at least and was planning to get my revenge on one lady who nicked top spot on an AG podium from me in a hill race last year by 10 seconds. (Goldilocks below – she has blond curly hair).

km splits (sorry, generally work in such)

4:10 – oh let's set off at faster than 10k PB pace then. I fumbled off the obligatory face mask after around 200m and promptly removed my glasses as well but saved those from a fall. Tucked the mask around my arm rather than try to dive for the bins at the side and get in someone's way.

4:15 – settling in and onto the off-road section – simple dirt farm road with grass in the middle and the odd small puddle, sufficient room for overtaking and being overtaken. Trundled past Goldilocks.

5:03 – last bit of flat / down and onto the first section of the hill – last glimpse of the race leaders on a switchback already a good 500m ahead (first man in course record of 37:08)

5:58 – ouch – nasty hill on pebbly ground – not my favourite and I didn't transition well to the change in gradient. Goldilocks trotted past looking comfy – grrr.

5:11 – hill flattening off again – ignored the water station at the 5k mark – don't need to drink on an 11.5k in cool conditions

4:35 – slightly downhill but recovering from the uphill bit – didn't get stich at least – often happens on a down after an up, Goldilocks about 20m ahead.

4:44 – last bit of up, gaining on and repassing Goldilocks (breathing harder than I was so hopeful I would stay ahead)

4:10 – right, all you have to do is run down the bloody hill again – careful on the pebbles, sometimes not easy to spot under the leaves and a couple of turns

4:18 – can't remember why I slowed a bit

4:06 – more like it – getting tired but at the same time able to push on and aware I was on for a course PB

4:09 – keep the effort up, no-one within almost 100m to try to hunt down and a quick check over my shoulder showed no danger from behind from Goldilocks who finished about 30 seconds behind me.

3:54 – (0.5 k) – back onto the flat tarmac through the town (short stretch on cobbles) and through the finish – blokey a couple of seconds behind was happy to stay there.

Back on with the mask and through goody bag and t-shirt collection point, remove mask again as Joe Public wasn't wearing one either. Intended to wait for Sandra to arrive at the finish but 20 mins plus was too long in sweaty clothes so I headed to the bag-drop and then returned back to the finish to meet her between – she ran a good 56 minutes – 3 minutes faster than last year and was also 5th in her category. Swift clothing swap and off home as not much to hang around for – no prize presentation or catering this year.

Very happy with the result with a big course PB and my legs felt awful yesterday on a recovey run. Race number magic improved them I guess. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Thanks, Hazel, enjoyed reading that! Your splits tell the story of the course...and also show that you were strong in the second half, which in turn reflects a decent block of training. Well done! What was your previous course pb? 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Brilliant hazelllll