Snowdonia marathon 2020

2»

Comments

• Welcome FetchezLaVache! You have chosen well for your first marathon - much more interesting then trying to fight though the masses at London! Definitely get your accommodation booked asap.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    FetchezLaVache - welcome to the thread and to the most amazing marathon you're ever likely to do.  Great choice for your first.  Make sure in your training you do some hills when you have tired legs.  This race features one such.

Get some accommodation sorted asap.  A lot of places are fully booked already in October through runners returning to their same places.  But with the element of uncertainty about whether you are going to get in, it might be different this year.

I've booked a cottage for a week and haven't got a place, so I've done in back to front.  It has two parking spaces so there might be a space on offer to the highest bidder!!!
  • In case anyone hasn't seen this, a reminder just posted on the facebook page: 

**Snowdonia Marathon Eryri Ballot News

Remember all you successful applicants to the 2020 race have been sent an email with a link that you can use to enter and pay. This link is valid for two weeks from 1st of January, so you have until midnight Weds 15th of January to claim your place. Failure to enter in this 2-week period will mean a loss of the place. So, if you got that email get online ASAP and claim your spot in the 2020 race!

Places that have not been claimed by the deadline will be put back for a second ballot draw which will take place on January 31st 2020 and those not successful on the first draw will then have a second chance to gain a place.**

...I'd hate to think that after the relief of making it through the ballot anyone loses their place by forgetting to complete their entry!

• Just got my unsuccessful email for the second ballot.
    Tossing uo between volunteering, or trying to pick up a place later in the year.
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    No place from the second ballot for mr panad either  :'(
  • Decided to volunteer, give something back. 
  • Quiet here. Guess everyone is out training.

I hope I am not over stepping the mark here but I know she is far to modest to mention it herself but the updated World Megamarathon Rankings have just come out with our forum's very own Brer Rabbit currently ranked at joint 704th in the WORLD!!!

For those of you don't know the rankings list the runners with the most number of marathons run and you need at least 300 under your belt before you can get on it. Well done Brer - amazing stuff.

Here is a link in case you want to check it out (some seriously incredible totals need to break into the top 10)

http://www1.vecceed.ne.jp/~ageo/fullhyak/WMMR 300+ 2019-12-31 rev0 (1).pdf

• Woohoo, congrats to Brer. Thanks for sharing LG.
    So far this year, achilles (Which I screwed initially at Lathkil fell in November), man flu, followed by calf which is probably linked to trying too hard means I've done sweet fa. Got a half next weekend, club trip away to St Davids. Ashby 20 mid March and Manchester mara 5th April.  Should be fit by December......    ;-)
  • Due to the SDW 50 being moved to October I have a place for transfer if anyone is interested.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning hope to. If it's still available, I'd like to take it please.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd say hello, hope everyone's safe & well.
    😊👍
    I've been doing my normal training. Going out for the odd run. My Strava stats for April was seven runs.....
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Hi Chimney,

all good here...  can’t see the race being able to go ahead this year myself :-( 
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    You may be right Panad. I was due up there July to do the Trail mara & International. The Trail has been moved to Oct 11th, but I'm already due at Manchester which was postponed in April. Deferred Trail & International to next year. Got York on 18th October, & Clarendon on 4th. 
    October, if they all go ahead, will be a tad busy for me! 
    Guess it'll depend on when restrictions ease, how they're eased and if any further spikes occur in infection rates.
    Those areas of the country that survive on tourism are going to be hit hard this year. 🙁
  • Got a feeling you may be right Panad. Chimney I think the Snod Trail is the 18th not the 11th - if it goes ahead it could make for a double header with Snod on the 24th - there must be the makings of a challenge there TRex??
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hi LG. I didn't stick the trail date in my head, just that I was already booked for another!  If the double is done, the road will feel so easy compared to the trail....😉
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    My running club (White Horse Harriers)  is hosting a social event that I thought you might be interested in...
    We have a zoom chat/ discussion with Courtney Dauwalter arranged for 8pm uk time on Friday 15th, as it’s online we have been advised we are welcome to invite other running pals who might be interested (no cost). If you’d like to join us you need to register on the following link 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/courtney-dauwalter-hosted-by-white-horse-harriers-tickets-104564416986?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-source=strongmail&utm-term=listing

I’m not 100% sure how this works, eg as you’ve registered will you get sent the Zoom link, or if I will need to forward it to people I’ve extended the invite to (so if you register, if you also msg me, I will make sure you get the Zoom info)

About Courtney Dauwalter

Currently one of the top ultra runners in the world, Courtney Dauwalter will talk to WHH about her running, races, training and life and lots of stories on the way.

This is a massive deal! Courtney is the equivalent to Mo on the track in the world of ultra running. Overall winner of the Moab 240 (yes 240 miles) in 2017, female winner of the Western states in 2018 with the second fastest time ever and competitor and winner of numerous other races Courtney is witty, humble and a lovely human. There will be plenty of chance for questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Dauwalter

Check out podcast interviews with Courtney on 'Joe Rogan' and 'Bad Boy Running' - note these podcasts do contain bad language.

Also video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQSiygnDm-U documenting her source of motivation

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    http://www.snowdoniamarathon.co.uk/news/marathon-eryri-postponed-until-october-30th-2021-marathon-eryri-wedii-ohirio-tan-hydref-30ain-2021/. Just seen this in my Facebook feed ( guess we will also get an email ). Guess it isn’t surprising. See you all next year!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is OK??
    Certainly a strange world we're all living in at the moment.  Everything uncertain and difficult to make plans.
    All 2020 races that I'd entered or wanted to enter now cancelled except for the optimistic 18 Oct date for SNOD trail Ultra which I'm sure will go too.  Can't move my SNOD accommodation forward a week unfortunately.  Haven't hardly been doing any running either.  A bit of bike riding and dog walking as usual.  
    Anyway I'm still going to need a place for SNOD 2021 since the race is full already!  If anyone knows of one going please let me me know on here or message me.
    All the best

• Strange times indeed TR. I am still hoping that the SNOD Trail goes ahead - it could be quite a day out at that time of year! In fact I had no interest in doing it again until I heard they had moved the date. As you can't cancel your accommodation are you planning an unofficial SNOD?

As 2021 SNOD is effectively a week later I am not sure it will fit with my other races next year. If I do decide to skip it I will give you first option on my place but probably won't make a final decision till next spring.

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I see Snod has now announced a virtual event, I’m hoping the momento  they provide will be another slate coaster as I like adding to my collection each year. 
    It could be tempting if (and only if) regulations in late October allow, to run the actual course on the planned date.... very difficult now to predict what might or might not feel acceptable in later October, so fully support the decision to cancel
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hi all, best wishes to you.

Our accommodation is booked for this year & next. My friend & I are toying with doing it supported by our other half's. 

As long as all is right with the world at the time....Fingers crossed.....
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’m thinking I might book some accommodation (that can be canceled) and see what it’s like nearer the time
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    I I was thinking about doing the course — but what if loads of us decide the same?? Won’t be welcomed by the locals!
    I have got accommodation booked, but think I’ll give it a miss this year :( 
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Yep, true JD. Was chatting with my freind yesterday and we thought the same. 
  • Well, the fluffy hat won't be out and about this year and I'll miss the hugs, but we're still doing a marathon programme - with a difference, obviously! We're looking for some short clips of those who've signed up for the virtual race during training and will include as many as we can in the programme. There's more info and the facility to upload clips here https://submit.link/43GDr - but the closing date to get them is is this Sunday (18th Oct), so if you're going for a little jaunt between now and then, maybe film a bit of it? And if you want to say anything in Welsh in your clip (even if only a couple of words!), all the better!  ;)
  • With Wales in lockdown from this Friday (23rd), if anyone was still thinking of using your accommodation bookings, you'd best check - hotels etc should be closing for 17 days.

In other news, the "Marathon Eryri - Ras y Cewri" programme will be going out on S4C on Sunday 25th. It's a special relay we organised as well as bits about people doing the virtual marathon, so you can still see the course (in glorious sunshine for a change) and get a tinge of hiraeth !

Keep safe everyone - virtual hugs from me!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Cheers foow. Yep, unfortunately had to cancel the cottage 🙁 Was just going to play in the mountains and give some money to local businesses.
    On the plus side, same cottage booked for next year. See you then.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Diolch FOOW - edrych ymlaen i weld y rhaglen nos Sul  :)

It is a strange feeling thinking that today is (was/should’ve been  :p) marathon day...even though the stormy weather obviously missed the postponement messages  :D .

not that I am currently in any shape to run a marathon, but I did take myself off into the hills for a 8.5 wet and windy jaunt.

hopefully come next autumn we might be in a place where races are happening again 🤞