New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• RM, yes, totally agree on the benefits of hill work. I love running uphill, hate running down. But just so conservative, and please note small c, right now that Im staying away from hills for a bit.
    You are ahead on the grandchildren count. Just the 3 for me......and no more to follow.
    Thanks for the goldfish tip.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

Redmist, definitely continue to post your improved PB times. We are on here to encourage and support. Are those pull ups, chin ups? I've never tried a one arm pull up.
    I haven't done any night running lately, but my head torch does have a dip facility. I find that essential to see were I'm putting my feet. 
    Hill work will certainly help to improve your pace, stamina and endurance. I love hill work, hence my user name.

JB, thanks, that session was intense, but doing it with Mike really helped. He is quicker than Sarah and me, so is an excellent pace maker for the 5k's, and we hope he will pace us on Thursday for the club's 5 mile off road challenge.
    That's great that your younger son passed his exam.
    I'm amused by you having been given responsibility for a neighbours gold fish. I was given similar responsibility a few years ago to look after a neighbours guinea pig for the 2 weeks they were away on holiday. They also had a very tricky front door lock and I had to ask another neighbour who had previously had the honour, for help. I had to clean out the cage, provide feed and water etc. I had a dread that he might die on me as I had been given instructions to phone them if he did. This made me think that it was a possibility.

This morning I had a really enjoyable 8k road run with Alice, who some of you may remember I used to do LSD runs with. I haven't run with her at all this year, but we will try to meet up more often. Her youngest will soon be 1 year old, and going to nursery. Her eldest is now 7 years old, which amazes me how the years have flown by.
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    hillstrider: Yep; pull ups/chin ups, all the same to me, as I can't do them. Also, a one armed pull-up is way beyond my capabilities. I suspect you can find them demonstrated on You Tube. I'm struggling just to hang on one arm. Unlike you, I hate hill work. I can detect any slight incline and my body reacts immediately by slowing down considerably. This is the reaction I'm attempting to reverse by doing my 5K5G weekly runs. Once I get below 30 minutes at 5% incline I'll start again at 7.5% and so on.

In any event, I must be doing something right as my 10K treadmill run last night produced a best of 56:20. Even better, I achieved a 5K best of 27:43 on the way to 10K. That's 4 PBs in less than a week. I realise that the treadmill is easier than the open road but it's driving me on to better things.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    HS, I’ve never really thought about running in the pitch black. I fall over in bright daylight, so I’d be pretty hopeless in the dark, even with the head torch. Lovely day today for your run in the forest.

RM, good running. I’ve never really thought it through before but you’ve made me appreciate one of the key advantages of TM training is that you can calibrate the incline so precisely. It’s clearly working for you so that’s great.
    One of the hills I very occasionally run up is about a mile and has a stretch of 27% incline. I can’t do it on a bike any more, but if I’m at the top of my game I can run it. I don’t think I could manage it right now! Reading your posting and HS’s advice, I might be tempted to visit one of the gentler local hills soon......

But, a rest day today!

Redmist, I think that 11 pullups are the most that I have ever done, but I haven't done any for about 3 years, and probably won't do any in the future. I still do press-ups, but 25 is the most that I can manage now.
    Very well done for your 4 pb's in less than a week. You've definitely "got the bit between your teeth!"

JB, I prefer running in the forest at night rather than on the road, because it doesn't hurt so much falling, as it does on the road. I never run alone though in the forest.
    Be a devil and do some hill reps. you might enjoy them😁

Today is a rest day for me too.

Tomorrow, Sarah F, Mike and I intend to "kill two birds with one stone."
    We have decided to incorporate our usual 5k , into the off road 5 mile challenge. It will be interesting to see whether we go through 5k quicker or slower than usual. 

On Monday, Sarah F, Jane and I will be doing the Hardley a Hilly Half off road run which is just over 14 miles. This is an entirely different run than the Hardley-a-Round.
  • HS, yes, I will find a hill for my next workout. Good luck with the 5 miler. It’s a lovely windless day here and the forest will look lovely I’m sure.

Lots of runners on our treeless prom today. The lack of wind help me get a 21.46 for my 3 miler. Another 30 second chunk taken out of my previous time and a WAVA of 72.68% with a final mile of 7.09. That feels more like it.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone - I see you've all been busy posting again while I've been AWOL ;) Lots of good training going on I see.

JB - my financial adviser came recommended (by Mrs WM) so I knew I was in safe hands. Re my comment below to Redmist - I don't even hang around bars these days (typing that has just made me think of Monty Python's lumberjack song by the way). I've never been given responsibility for looking after someone else's pet thank goodness. I have three lanes near me of varying lengths that all head up to the road to Cleeve Hill - each of them is 25% in places. I've walked up some of them - only tried running up one and I conked out after 200yds, even before I got to the steepest bit. I know I should go there and do some hill reps - never seem to manage to though ;)

Redmist - you mentioned being trounced by some 70+ runners. Reminds me of when I placed just behind Bruce Tulloch in a 10K many years ago. I think I was in my 50's then .. he was in his late 70's at the time :) Good luck with the pull-up bar (hope it is very well attached to the beam in the garage!). The last time we took our grand-daughters to Center Parcs I went on the assault course to 'help' - they shot off ahead and muggins here found it hard work hanging on at various points. I was so slow they came back to 'help' Grandad! Like HS, I certainly stay on 'dipped beam' with my Silverpoint head-torch - mostly to spot any potholes just ahead of me on the pavement.

Aquarius - I don't think there'll be any problem getting a refund from Craghoppers. So with the £50 I'll be getting back, I've already ordered two more pairs of zip-offs in different colours for golf/walking as they're currently half-price (£25). They arrived a short while ago and I'll be ordering some zip-offs the same colour as the ones I returned as getting them half-price at £25 is too good a bargain to miss. I've signed up for next week's 6ml ramble with the U3A rambling group. And the new U3A online book group is getting there - I've been given access to a system called Beacon to set up the group and add the three people who are interested. Just need to work out a suitable day/time now for our meetings that everyone can manage and then I need to email the three ladies in question to see when they are available and to set up our initial Zoom meeting. I'm obviously hoping I'll bounce back re the golf when I play Alan again this coming week.

HS - glad to hear you enjoyed meeting Karen & her twins (I don't have any grandchildren of my own either .. but I'm 'Grandad Mel' to Margaret's grand-daughters). The best way to check if your smoke alarm would work in an emergency? Stand close by, light a match, blow it out and let the smoke drift into the alarm, blow at the alarm like mad to stop it beeping at you! As you'll have gathered, I live in Craghoppers trousers these days. I've got plenty of unread books in my bookcase too.

It's an acquired taste I realise - but really enjoyed the first of the new series of Taskmaster.

Went over to my house in Wootton Bassett yesterday as I was supposed to be having the tree felled - but the firm I'd asked to do it cancelled the night before and said they could come on 9th Nov instead. This was after already waiting several weeks - so no surprise that I've contacted another local firm of tree surgeons and asked them to quote for the work. Instead of 'supervising' the tree removal, Glenn and I did some more digging to remove more weeds/tree roots in the borders.

I ran early this morning (still in my shorts & thermal top/t-shirt combo). I planned a route different to one of my 'usual' ones and am pleased to say I managed 5.6mls - checking back on Fetch, I was pleased to see that's my longest run since Jan 1st! It wasn't fast and it wasn't pretty - and my legs only ache a bit after my exertions :)
  • Good morning everyone,

JB, the 5 miler didn't go to plan, details below.
    Very well done for your amazing improvement in your 3 miler; that last mile in 7.09 is very impressive. That WAVA of 72.68% will take some beating, but I'm sure that you can do it. If I manage a 26 minute 5k, that would only be 71.67%, so I've got work to do!!

WtnMel, good luck with setting up the U3A online book group. Hope you manage to beat Alan again in your next match.
    Thanks for the tip re the smoke alarms. I've had experience of fanning the alarm in the past to stop it screeching.
    It's surprising how many contractors seem to be cancelling appointments, or just not turning up. You would think that they would be after all the work that they could get.
    Well done for you longest run for a while yesterday. I'm also still wearing thermal top under t shirt, shorts, cap, but not gloves yet.

I'm afraid, as I said above, that the 5 mile, incorporating the 5k didn't go to plan. I was unable to keep up with Sarah and Mike after the first k and found myself struggling. I was getting further and further behind, so stopped at 5k.  I put this down to the fact that I had two consecutive hard days, prior to yesterday. Wednesday was the 400 metre intervals with Mike, and Thursday the good pace 5 mile with Alice. I had obviously overdone it. Today is a much needed rest day.  
  • Mel, that 25% incline sounds crazy. I’d have to have a go at it but would live, I hope!, to regret it. Good distance from you so well done.

HS, not surprised that you struggled with the 5 miler. You clearly did the right thing when you withdrew after 5k......and in choosing to have a well deserved rest today.
    I took your advice and had a go at some hill repeats. It was a very short and not particularly steep slope but it still asked me some hard questions. I’ve not run anything other than pancake flat courses for months and my word I found it hard work. I’ve become a flat track bully! My WAVA would have been about 40%.
    That sort of workout keeps you honest I think.
    My football team is on the box today playing our deadly rivals, which is nonsense really. I’ve been following them for 55 years. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - it does sound like you might have overdone it with trying that 5 mile run after a couple of hard days training .. I don't blame you for stopping as it obviously wasn't working for you. Don't blame you having a much-needed rest day.

JB - someone at my club got a place in the notoriously hilly Snowdonia marathon. Someone else who lives near me told them they needed to come over to Bishops Cleeve and try running up those lanes I mentioned. There are three of them and each one has some 25% incline portions. The person was seriously suggesting running up each one of them in turn. One would be more than enough for me! I think even trying hill repeats on less of a slope would ask me some serious questions too.

My legs were aching a bit yesterday after my longer-than-usual run .. it was obviously that "oh, you've been for a run have you" feeling they had in them but they're fine today. Hopefully I can devise a couple more loops to add on to that route to gradually increase the distance a bit more over coming weeks.

Gradually getting there setting up this U3A online book group. I still need to go to the library to see what the options are for borrowing books from them - though personally, I will probably buy a Kindle version instead of borrowing a book if it isn't too expensive. I've worked out Tue afternoon or Thu morning would work best for me so have just emailed the other people to see if either of those days/times would work for them too. Hopefully they will and I can then set up an initial zoom meeting so we can discuss how the group will run and more importantly, which book to pick to read first.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Popped by to see if anyone else had posted yesterday ..

Not running today but planning to get up early tomorrow and do 4-5mls. Instead, today I'm going to do some cross-training in the form of cutting the lawns. This might be the last cut of the year? Will trim some of the laurel hedges too as the garden waste will be collected on Friday. My local U3A Rambling group are doing 5-6mls on Thu morning and I've signed up to do that. And I'll be playing golf with my friend Alan on Fri - so let's hope the ramble on Thu isn't too strenuous or my legs will be tired before I start playing golf ;)
    edited October 2020
    Mel, I think my lawn saw its last mow of 2020 about 8 weeks ago! I too am having a ramble this week. Tomorrow in fact. This will be a 5 mile with ex colleagues. Mrs JB and me are the youngest and fittest, but I am a slow walker and will at the back of the pack. Looks like the weather should be OK to help us enjoy the lovely Sussex countryside.

Run today was hilly! Nothing like a 25% incline but a longish slog which I felt was doing me good. When I was fit I’d do this hill 5 times in a workout. Today once was enough!

Will be on grandson duty for a short while this afternoon.
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    JB: 27% incline sounds like torture to me. Thankfully, my TM only goes to a max of 15%. A 3 mile time of 21:46 is pretty impressive, as is your WAVA score. My football team also played their deadly rivals on Saturday. How at least one of the their players isn't now serving a prison sentence for assault I'll never know.

WtnMEL: Can't claim to have been just behind anyone famous in any race. I did once overtake one J Saville and his entourage in the Bolton marathon, but that's not something I mention often, for obvious reasons. Before I did the Snowdonia National Parks marathon in 1998, I prepared by doing 6 months of uphill running, as I knew this was my Achilles heel. How wrong could I be. It was the downhills that killed me and I hadn't even considered training for them, as downhills were supposed to be my relaxing/recovery time.

Hillstrider: Sounds like you really are overdoing it. I found that reducing my running to 3 times a week and totally different sessions has and still is paying huge benefits. Topped off a great week with yet another PB of 1:26:45 for my Sunday morning 9.1 mile run. That's 10 minutes faster than when I first did this run in February.
  • Here’s a funny thing. About 10 mins after I’d informed Mel that the law mower was being locked away until 2021, Mrs JB told me that the lawn could do with a final mow. So out I went.

RM, another great run. I’m with you on running downhill. I’m useless at it and dislike it intensely. Also agree on that so called tackle.

As for famous people, I’ve done a couple of parkruns with Kelly Holmes involved. She is some sort of parkrun ambassador so this isn’t that unusual. She waved everyone off at the start Andrews the night cruised past most runners, including me. Top lass!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - I'm looking forward to Thu's ramble as it will be the first one I've done for a while but it will be strange to be having to walk 2 metres apart from everyone and not being able to help each other with stiles/gates. I'm sure the uphill slog did you good - most of Bishops Cleeve has slopes rather than hills .. apart from those steep lanes I mentioned! I was planning to cut the lawns anyway - but Mrs Wm saw them and said she was pleased I was cutting them as they were, to quote her words, "A bit shaggy"

Redmist - not surprised you don't mention being anywhere near JS. I always find downhill hard work as I know the theory is to let yourself go and let gravity assist - but I'm always worried about coming a cropper so hold back. Well done re your PB on your Sun morning run.

Having cut my lawns, although they look better for being shorter, there's a rough and ready look to them. That's due to the bearing that holds the cutting blade in place breaking down a bit and the mower vibrating as a result. We decided we'll make do with it this year and treat ourselves to a new mower in the Spring. I did look at replacing the bearing btw - but you had to replace a complete bearing assembly and the cost of that was almost as much as buying a new mower!

Just had a call from my mate Alan - the roofer he has doing work at the moment will still be there on Friday so he's cancelled our golf. So I'll probably take myself to the driving range instead.

JB, well done for doing some hill reps. I'm sure you will feel the benefit, but not the day after. I see that you did a hilly run yesterday and doing a ramble today. Hope you enjoy it.
    I overtook the boxer Frank Bruno in the GSR many years ago, and very nearly beat Chris Benning, the International Athlete in the Totton 10k back in the eighties. We were running side by side in the last k, and she just sprinted over the finish line ahead of me. I think I was slightly overawed to have been running in such exalted company.😁

WtnMel, I saw your longer than usual run on Strava, and it is usual for the legs to ache afterwards.
    Your online book club will keep you busy! 
    Well done for your early morning run this morning. Hope you enjoy Thursdays ramble, and good luck with the golf with Alan on Friday. Oh, just seen that Alan has had to cancel, so that will give you the chance for more practice. 

Redmist, I find that I run downhill, slower than up. This is because it puts more of a strain on the legs and knees, and since my knee injury, in 2017, I have been cautious on the downhills.
    Well done for your 10 minute improvement since February's 9.1 mile run.

Yesterdays run was over probably the nicest, prettiest forest course that I have ever done.  It's nicknamed "not a hilly half"  as it is hilly, and further than a half. It is 15.32 miles with 774 feet elevation. I ran it with Sarah F and Jane. Jane had run it previously, albeit some while ago, and I had synced the route onto garmin connect, garmin connect app. and then synced it to my garmin.  It was amazing being able to navigate by the garmin alerting all the turns with an arrow pointing in the direction to turn. This meant not needing to look at the course on the phone. It alerted when we deliberately ignored an instruction, so we ran back and took the right bend. This was a learning curve for me, but Jane had said that I needed to try out more of the functions on the new Garmin. 
    Today is without doubt, a recovery day.
  • Lovely walk today and I hope Mels is equally enjoyable. A very slow 6 miles on a splendid day around a little tucked away village. Good company, splendid pub big portions. Who could want for more? Legs feeling a bit heavy after recent hill work. Might have a rest day tomorrow.

HS, terrific run from you. Sounds idyllic. You earned your rest.

Mel, my next door neighbour has acquired a battery operated mower. Ours is a second hand 20 quid one. It does the job, and takes up very little room in our tiny, overpacked shed.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

HS - yes, I wasn't at all surprised my legs complained a bit after running a bit further than usual. Well done re that 'not a hilly half' (which is and isn't :) ). There's a race round here somewhere which is called Humph's Hilly Half which sounds very similar to yours (but was obviously cancelled this year). I see you were able to put the route of the 'NAHH' onto your Garmin and follow it. I must see if mine does something like that that  - I suspect not but it's so long since I read the manual I have no idea whether it can or not!

JB - the U3A rambling group meet at a local hall and usually drive to the start of the walk. But this one is setting off from the hall for a change. I see it's going to be wet tomorrow but should be dry again on Thu which is good news. Our mower is nothing special (small electric flymo) so as I mentioned, we'll probably get another new one the same next year.

I didn't sleep very well last night so wasn't feeling 100% when I went out for a run early this morning. So I wasn't at all surprised to see it was a bit of a 'plod' when I checked the figures afterwards. I was slower than usual anyway - but there were more people out and about so more dodging around was needed and more traffic than I've seen for a while too, so I had to wait several times at crossing points.

Had a text this morning from my neighbour at my house in Wootton Bassett. He'd noticed some of the cladding (bargeboard?) had come away at the rear just above the gutter level where my roof meets his (mine is slightly higher). I managed to find the receipt from the work to apply the cladding which was done in 2008 - have been in touch with the company that did the work and asked them to have a look and let me know what needs to be done and how much (though my receipt mentions a 15 year guarantee so who knows, I may get it fixed for free).
    edited October 2020
    Mel, it's tipping down here, so I realise that our walk would have been somewhat less idyllic had we done it today. Lucky! Hope you get a good result on your cladding problem. 

Definitely a rest day for me. The 2 days of hill work plus the long walk yesterday have left the Achilles rather inflamed. I have to accept that I need to manage my running through rest, rather than seeing it as a weakness. (I suspect this is a bloke thing.)

Anyway, I can still find other ways in which to injure myself and did a HIIT workout, 'Tabata' routine today. This is 20 seconds on/10 seconds off  for a mighty 4 minutes and can be done in just about any way imaginable. I did it with a kettlebell. Fun it wasn't but it was over quickly.

Granddaughter duties this afternoon.
  • Good morning everyone,

JB,I'm glad that you enjoyed your walk yesterday, together with a pub lunch in the village. Sounds like a perfect way to spend the day.

Yes, Mondays run was idyllic, and Sarah and I have agreed that it is probably the best forest run we have ever done. I have been running in the New Forest on and off, for over 40 years, so that is saying something.  I'm having another rest day today, as I have a slight ache in my right glute, and don't want to aggravate it.

I see from this mornings post that you are also resting due to a rather inflamed left Achilles. Definitely not a weakness, but common sense. I listen to my body more these days, as I want to continue running for many years yet, God willing!

HIIT workouts are definitely tough. I did them during the spinning sessions which I did twice a week before the pandemic. The Leisure Centre was closed until restrictions were lifted, but the direct debits weren't taken during the lockdown. I did, however, decide to cancel my membership when it reopened, and haven't returned. Running 5 days a week, is more than enough now.

Hope you enjoy this afternoon with your granddaughter.

WtnMel, thanks, we really enjoyed Mondays run, which was social, with no pressure as to pace and time. I googled how to import courses from 3rd parties etc onto Garmin Connect, and the Garmin app, and how to sync with the Garmin from the app. Depending how old your Garmin is, it might not have the capabilities to receive imports, but I hope that it does!

I see that you have problems with the cladding at your house, but have a 15 year guarantee. I hope that the company does rectify things foc, but there are probably pages of small print which may contain "get out clauses."

As mentioned above, I'm having a rest day, because of the niggle in my right glute. I want to be fit for Saturdays attempt for a sub 26 minute 5k.
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    WtnMEL: Always chuckle to myself when hearing/seeing folk mowing their lawns. I don't have a very large garden but what there is is covered with artificial grass. It's brilliant, as I and my granddaughters can play on it all year round and within minutes of it stopping raining. Of course, I would swap it in a heartbeat for half an acre of real lawn. Hope you get your cladding sorted. Many of the long term guarantees are, in my experience, not much use as, when you need to call on them, the company has gone out of business, so your looking good from that point of view.

Hillstrider: Frank Bruno and Chris Benning win it for me (know what I mean 'arry). I'm so envious of all these forest runs, which sound as though they are right on your doorstep. Great performance on completing the Not a Hilly Half, by the way. Not sure I'll ever attempt that kind of distance ever again.

JB: It's a HIIT day for me today. I'll have a quick look at the Tabata routine later. I usually do about 20 minutes and that 4 minute routine sounds very attractive. Did my 5K5G TM run last night and was gutted to miss out on another PB by 6 seconds. However, woke up this morning with a very sore throat and a runny nose, so that will do for me as an excuse. Have to agree with HS re listening to our bodies more than we do, particularly at our ages and to ensure we keep going for many more years. Does a HIIT routine count as a day of rest????
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

JB - yep, wet and drizzly here too but the forecast this morning promised dry weather tomorrow for the walk. I'd better have a rummage for my walking boots to make sure they're clean and gather the rest of my walking gear together today to avoid any last-minute scurrying around in the morning. Hope your Achilles recovers okay. Yep - seeing niggles as a weakness definitely a bloke thing. I saw a HIIT workout on a Michael Moseley programme (1 min star jumps, 1 min squats, 1 min sprinting on spot, repeat squats, repeat star jumps) but never attempted it.

HS - I've been investigating transferring routes/courses to my Garmin. I definitely can't do it to my newer Forerunner 230 - but I'm supposed to be able to do it to the older 305. However, it didn't work despite repeated attempts. I'm not even sure it's the same thing as you were describing ie. navigating a route and I suspect it's just creating a course and doing it (so no navigation element to it). Anyway, slightly confused about the whole thing, I have now given up looking at it. However, I do have a Garmin eTrex that I use for walking which does allow you to create a route and navigate along it. It's a small device rather than a watch but is hand-held so I guess if I wanted to go off-road sometime I could possibly use that? It might be worth considering at some point anyway if the need ever arises (I'm thinking if I did something like the Cotswold Way relay or something similar). After 12 years I wouldn't begrudge having to pay for the cladding to be sorted out for a smallish fee, especially with Winter coming and the consequent possibility of water damage. Sorry to hear you have a niggle too - hopefully I won't be reporting anything similar after tomorrow's walk or my next run.

We're looking at decorating our living room and need to put some samples of the colours on the wall before we decide. So this morning I have moved the furniture around and taken the large mirror off the wall so we can do that. In fact, while I've been typing this the smell of paint has drifted up the stairs and having checked, Mrs WM has already been slapping the two colours on the walls so we can decide which one we prefer.

Had a call from my son a short while ago - the tree surgeons who cancelled and delayed until 9th Nov have unexpectedly phoned to say they'll be round to do the work today! (which is good news - but just a bit unexpected).
  • Afternoon all,

Redmist, yes I am really lucky being only a 5 minute run from the forest. I found Mondays run so special, as it was over terrain that I had never run on before. Also being Autumn, the forest is really colourful. 
    Sorry for that you just missed out on another PB, but we can't expect one after every run/workout. 

WtnMel, I'll try to clarify my actions re routes being transferred/synced to my Garmin. The course on Monday was one that Jane had run before, and therefore 3rd party and already in existence. I didn't, therefore, create a course. The only way that Jane and I know how to create a course is actually doing a run/race which will be captured by Stava, and also on Garmin Connect laptop and app. It can be named and then synced to the Garmin. In essence, you are not actually navigating a course, but following an existing one. The alerts and direction pointing arrow, help to avoid going off course. Hope this clarifies matters  :)

I see that you are now in the process of decorating your living room. I don't know how you manage to "keep so many balls in the air!"

Good that the tree surgeons have arrived earlier than expected. Hope the rain has stopped!
  • Hi All.
    Sorry I ain't posted for a few weeks as I have had a crappy cold.
    With it getting colder and having to wear more layers when running it has had an effect on my running times,I have slowed by about 2 mins over a 10k.
    I am getting a treadmill tomorrow so hopefully, it will help keep me going.

• RM, sorry to hear about the possible bug. I think HIIT would generally be considered as something to be avoided with a bug and that it wouldn’t really be a rest. How are the pull ups coming on?

Damien, good to hear from you. I think it’s a great time of year to get a TM. Hope it works for you in these long dark evenings.

Mel, I share HS’s amazement at your multitasking abilities.

Achilles still pretty sore. I’m very casual about stretching but today I gave them a good going over plus got the dreaded foam roller out. I suspect these were developed by the Spanish Inquisition as a torture to those who withstand all the other tortures. The weather is screaming RUN at me but it’ll be the rower today, another instrument of torture.

intend to stay up for the Biden v. Trump debate but will probably fall asleep. I hope Biden doesn’t!

Damien, good to hear from you again, and sorry that you have been suffering with a crappy cold. I think that there are a lot of them about.
    Good luck with the treadmill, I hope you find it beneficial.

JB, sorry to hear that your Achilles is still causing problems. I hope the foam roller works. I've never used one, but find a small hard rubber ball works well on the calves.
    I won't be staying up late to watch the circus performance of Trump and Biden. The muting of Trumps mike during Biden's introduction could backfire in Trump's favour. Nobody would be able to hear his childish ignorant ranting, confirming what an ignorant buffoon he is. 

WtnMel, the plot thickens re the syncing of courses to the garmin connect app and my Garmin 645 Music. I've found that I am unable to name courses on my runs that I have done and are on Garmin Connect on my laptop. I've googled for help and the instructions don't work. It says to tap on the course, pull up the elevation card from the bottom and scroll all the way down. Then tap the button to edit the course, go to course name to edit it. I've come to the conclusion that you can only import 3rd party courses that all ready have names. 
    I might try to find out if it's possible to map runs as we do them, which may enable us to give them course names. On the other hand, I may not bother☹

This mornings walk with Alice and Rosie in her buggy was very enjoyable, but not what I would call a recovery session. We walked for exactly 2 hours in the forest over hilly, muddy terrain. The buggy was a proper running one and Alice was amazing the way she manoeuvred it over the multi terrain. I wish I had set my garmin to walking, so that we would have known how many miles we had walked. I reckon it could be in the region of 7 miles.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

HS - thanks for the clarification and your later post from this afternoon. I have a feeling on Garmin Connect you can rename courses by clicking on the 'pencil' icon (signifying you can edit the name) but I'm not 100% sure. I did look at Garmin Connect in the meantime and it looks like you can map out a course on there and then send it to your device. Having said that, I've looked at the Garmin website for functions available on their watches and it confirmed being able to put a course on one and then navigate the course (following alerts and direction arrows you mentioned) is only something you get on the 245 and other more expensive models. My turn to clarify things - I forgot to mention the important fact that Margaret decided she'd pay someone to come and decorate our living room and kitchen - not because I couldn't do it - but to save me the trouble.

Damien - I saw on Strava you'd been suffering with a cold lurgy recently. Re treadmills - I really must get round to getting mine fixed by speaking to the local firm (Evesham) to see about getting them to fit a new running belt to replace the damaged one.

JB - as I mention to HS above, I gave the wrong impression re the decorating. I could do it - but have been told I needn't bother :) I know all about the pain induced by using a foam roller - but always tell myself it's 'good' pain ;)

Went for a walk with the U3A rambling group this morning. Just 5mls and at a very leisurely pace but enjoyable none the less and especially as we had sunshine so I was wearing one of my running t-shirts all the way round. Some of the others had fleeces/coats on and checked I wasn't cold in just short sleeves. I had my fleece/coat in my rucksack just in case but didn't need them.

I felt slightly conspicuous yesterday. Our pickaxe handle broke a month or two ago but my local diy shop said they'd get some in when I asked about repairing it. I popped in there yesterday for a new light bulb for the oven and the guy remembered me asking, disappeared out the back and came back with a new handle! So I thanked him, paid for it and then had to walk home  trying to look inconspicuous with a 3ft pickaxe handle in my hand :)
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    JB: reminded myself about Tabata via Youtube. Might well give it a go when I'm short on time. The pull up schedule is a long term thing. I'm concentrating on improving grip for a week or two as a prelude to actual pull ups. Can manage around 80 seconds just hanging (both arms this time).
    Sore throat is a little better but nose is well and truly blocked in one nostril (what's that about). Just to add to my ills, this afternoon I was showing my 3 youngest granddaughters how to properly do a handstand against a wall. Yes, you guessed it....I hit my heel and Achilles tendon against a metal shelf and it hurt a lot. Smothered it in witch hazel but the area is now a bit bruised. Will test nose and heel injury in a little while with my 10K TD run.
    WtnMEL: If you are any good at DIY, I would give replacing the TM belt yourself a go. It's not that difficult, if you can get the right belt delivered. I did mine using a YouTube tutorial. Love the pickaxe handle story. Nobody is ever going to mess with you in that neighbourhood.
    Damien: hope you enjoy your treadmill. It'll greatly expand your training options, as I'm sure you know.

WtnMel, yes it's possible to rename courses, but the problem is how to name them in the first place. I will have to ask  Jane, as she had obviously named the one that I imported as a third party. I've had a look at the map maker and it looks as if it is for plotting a course and not making one whilst running.
    That sounds a good plan, Margaret paying someone to do the decorating. I paid to have my bungalow redecorated, as I didn't want the hassle of doing it myself.
    Good that you enjoyed the ramble yesterday. It was definitely quite mild, but it rained for the first 5 or 10 minutes of our walk.  Thankfully it stopped, otherwise we would have been drenched.
    Sounds good walking down the street with a 3 foot pickaxe handle in your hand, especially if you were wearing a mask. A potential bank robber🤣

Redmist, good to hear that your sore throat is a bit better, but odd that one nostril is blocked. That Achilles injury sounds very painful, so take care with your 10k TD run.  

Today is a rest day after yesterdays 2 hour walk. Tomorrow will be another attempt to run sub 26 minutes in our forest 5k.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Redmist - sorry to hear you are still lurgified .. hope it's improved a bit today. You showing your grand-daughters how NOT to do a hand stand reminds me of when I decided to join mine on an assault course thingy at Sudeley Castle and promptly fell off and sprained my ankle. I have considered replacing the running belt myself - but to be honest, if the company don't charge too much I'll get them to do it to save myself any potential hassle.

HS -  I've discovered Garmin Connect will only recognise Forerunner devices so can't send a route directly to my eTrex. But undaunted, I exported a course - which creates a .gpx file - and then manually copied the gpx file onto my Garmin eTrex. The result was I am now able to 'do' that route on my eTrex and from memory, it will show me a solid line to follow and navigate along. I seem to remember I created a route in OS Maps which I have a subscription to and was able to send that directly to my eTrex so I may try that instead. If  I have time and can't think of anything more useful to fill my time with! :):smiley:

The weather has been okay today so we've been out in the garden. We've moved our bird feeder from the border onto the corner of the lawn (to try and stop the squirrels using it as before they could stretch across from the fence). I also pruned some of the hedge and attempted to clean up some of the leaves that have begun falling. But I'm going to have to try and resurrect our leaf blower as raking the leave was hard work. Lastly, I have put that new handle onto the pickaxe. So now I can have a go at the tree root at the end of the garden that might be in the way when we decide to move our fig tree (or plant a new one).