New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• RM, that sounds very painful. A bit like being whacked with Mels pickaxe handle!
    Hope the sniffles clear up soon.

Not much going on here. Have been applying the ice pack and stretching. Will test the Achilles tomorrow morning. I don’t think it will pass!

Mel, I don’t think .i can rival your gardening achievement but I did do a bit of proper ‘work’ today. Mrs JB wanted to buy some manure for the allotment and I was the labour force that ferried the bags from the car to our plot. Mrs advised the use of a wheelbarrow, but male ego dictated that I’d carry the bags. I managed but it reminded me that for all the pull ups etc, a bit of physical work is just as effective....and actually achieves something.

HS, woke up to watch the debate.....2 minutes after it finished. I don’t think I missed much!

So, 3 mile run for me in the morning. Must remember to have ice pack handy.
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    hillstrider: Still one nostril blocked. To be fair it's quite normal for me ever since I broke my nose playing football 40 years ago. Of course, when I say TD I meant TM. I was convinced that my run would be quickly curtailed, either by heel pain or the inability to breath properly. How wrong could I be. Airways were clear after a couple of minutes and I didn't feel any undue heel pain. Incredibly, I knocked another minute off my 10K TM PB, which now stands at 55:20. Suffering for it today though as my heel is extremely sore and my cold is much worse. Worth it. Good luck with your forest 5K tomorrow.
    WtnMel: Fair comment re the TM belt. Think injury is just something granddads have to accept as part of life with grandchildren. Despite my heel injury, I found myself 'teaching' them the best way to do a headstand today, surrounded by lots of large cushions. No further injuries to report. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy in the garden before winter sets in. I'm quite envious.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - guess it could have been worse re carrying the pickaxe handle. I have the requisite haircut these days (close to a shaven bonce) but thankfully, wasn't wearing a pair of braces, bovver boots or a Ben Sherman shirt ;) Go easy re the Achilles and don't be tempted to over-do it (speaking from experience). I still attempt to carry heavy things rather than faff about getting hold of the wheelbarrow! Nope, I doubt you missed much re Trump vs. Biden debate.

Redmist - glad to hear the run went okay despite blocked nose and sore heel and well done re your new PB. I do find these days I'm happy to pay someone else to do some jobs rather than attempt everything myself. After spraining my ankle on the assault course, I did get called "Silly Grandad" for a while.

I ran earlier this morning and having charged up the batteries for my head-torch, it was far brighter than I'd got used to and easier to see where I was going (I could actually see the beam of light in front of me). I kept it on dipped beam so don't think I dazzled any of the dog-walkers I passed. Just 4.5ml today and although not exactly quick, I have gained a bit more pace after my 'plod' session last week.

We've put our dining room back to normal this morning (moved the furniture around so we could try out some colours on the walls. We think we've decided on a colour for when the decorators arrive in a couple of weeks time.
  • RM, well done on the TM PB. I thought you broke other people’s noses when you played football! The only break I ever sustained was playing cricket. I broke my little finger misfielding the ball. I now avoid anyone who looks like he, or she, has a strong handshake!
    Mel, well I took your advice to such an extent that I didn’t run at all. Instead I gave the Achilles a work out and rowed 10k. This morning the Achilles seemed a lot better so did a 6 mile run at 9.22 pace.
    Mrs JB injured her back digging the allotment. It makes a real change for her to be more crocked than me!!  She’s now on the mend, thankfully.
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    JB: Thanks re the TM PB. Looking forward to an attempt on sub 55mins next Thursday. Not so good this morning on the 9 mile run. Only just managed to get under 88mins. My excuse, this time, is an ever increasing injury list, brought about in the main by them pesky pull up bars. Sore neck, shoulder and wrist to add to my bruised heel and lingering cold. Problem is, it won't make me rest and I'll end up properly crocked for the winter.

The broken nose was due to my lazy approach to a charity match. I put little effort into a jump for a ball and got back headed in the nose by the opposing centre forward. Ironically, I had borrowed his light blue shirt as mine was the wrong colour for our team. He didn't ask for his now bright red shirt back. Like you my only other break was to a finger, sustained whilst blocking a kick during a karate bout.

Not sure that you've fully grasped the concept of 'rest', as I'm pretty sure a 10K row followed by a 6 mile run might be the complete opposite. As I think you mentioned recently....it's a man thing. Hope your better half recovers quickly. There aren't many things more painful than a bad back. I've been trying to get my hands on an allotment for 10 years. I was told when I put my name down that the average waiting time was between 20/25 yrs. Have you grown any pumpkins.

WtnMel: If you're anything like my wife and I, agreeing a colour is more than half the battle. I normally get worn down over time until I agree a compromise, i.e. she picks the colours and I buy the paint/wallpaper. It has worked well over our 45 years.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    RM, wow such a long wait for an allotment. The one we’ve got was inherited from our son, a kind of reverse inheritance, I guess. He moved and has now got one that’s literally 20 metres from his front door. It’s funny as land is at such a premium here, yet allotments seem to be relatively easy to get as we did go through the proper channels. And there’s quite a few that look pretty neglected to the point of abandoned.

On this topic, every spare nook and cranny of the county seems to be gobbled up for new housing. My pals moan like mad about this, as for one thing, the roads are crazily busy. However, I’m equally worried about the crazy house prices in this part of the world and how hard it must be to get a roof over your head unless you are well paid or have access to the bank of mum and dad. Luckily both my lads are on the property ladder, thanks in part to the latter. (Oddly enough it doesn’t stop them telling us how lucky our generation was, although it didn’t feel like it at the time!)
    Apologies for the old git editorial. 
  • Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, well done creating a course to your Garmin, I thought that you would work something out, with your IT background.
    I note that you have been busy in your garden again. You seem to have endless energy.
    You haven't mentioned bowls lately. Am I right in thinking that you said a while ago that you no longer played?
    Good that your head torch displayed a brighter light after the battery recharge. I always have mine on dipped beam, as  like to see the ground a few steps ahead.
    I expect Margaret will have the last word on the colour scheme.🤣

JB, glad to hear that your Achilles is feeling better, and your 6 mile run at 9.22 pace seems to back this up!
    On the subject of housing, the latest seems to be buying up pubs closed because of the Covid virus, to be converted into flats. It's worrying that this incompetent government is weakening the planning restrictions, allowing sub standard housing to be approved and built. Some haven't room "to throw a cat!"

Redmist, that must have been extremely painful having you nose broken playing football. I suffered a painful punch to the nose in a playground fight which caused heavy bleeding, but thankfully it wasn't broken.
    Well done knocking another minute off your 10k TM PB. Sorry though that your heel is really sore and your cold much worse, but glad that you think it was worth it.
    Thanks for your good luck with Saturdays 5k. Details below.
    Good luck for your attempt at a sub 55 minute 10k on Thursday. Amazing how you managed to run 9 miles this morning with all those aches and pains. I think that your body deserves a few days rest. As we age, injuries take longer to recover and consequently longer to get "up to speed" again.

The 5k on Saturday was more like a fartlek session as there were more of us and we had to split into 3 bubbles. I ran with Sarah, but the 2 runners behind us didn't know the course, so we had to keep slowing down at bends so that they knew where to turn etc. They knew the way for the last mile, so we ran that as fast as possible. In the circumstances we were pleased with our 29.03, which is probably the slowest all year.
  • I did a good run last night with this cold nearly gone.
    I ran in shorts,t-shirt and a thin running jacket the rain went straight through it all but the conditions suited me.
    The treadmill will be for the wife as when I ran on it the kids thought the ceiling was coming in lol....long walks for me if I use it.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Morning all,

JB - ha-ha, glad you took my advice about not running on Sat (at least) so well done re yesterday's run. Hope Mrs JB's back is continuing to improve. A running friend of mine managed to get an allotment over the road from where she lives - what has amazed her is the sense of community there and the fact the long-term owners are always on hand to offer advice and often, to donate plants/seeds to her. My younger son lives in Leeds and has his own place thanks to the bank of Mum and Dad. As mentioned below to Redmist, my eldest son lives in my house - he's not working at present so I can see that continuing for a while yet.

Redmist - sounds like you are in the wars with a few more niggles to add to the existing ones. As it's Mrs WM's house (I have my own in Wootton Basset that my eldest son lives in) she gets to choose the colours she wants and I tend to go along with whatever she prefers.

HS - I've done some more digging re setting up courses on my Garmin FR 305. Mrs Wm has expressed an interest in having a device to allow her to navigate courses like you did recently. But rather than fob her off with my old, chunky 305, I'm going to look at the current range of Garmin's and see which ones allow navigation and most importantly, how easy they are to use as I don't want her getting frustrated with it.  As regards, how much they cost, we have a cunning plan where I'll help buy the new Garmin and in return, she'll help towards the cost of an electric golf trolley for me. Which will mean our xmas presents to each other are sorted. You are correct about Margaret having the last word about the colour scheme (as explained above). Yes, I didn't bother with bowls this year. I didn't renew as I was originally planning to do that long-distance walk. But when the walk was cancelled and the bowls club re-opened, I didn't have the urge to re-join. I still have my bowls equipment though so will probably eventually go back - just not sure when.

Damien - glad to hear you've managed to shake off that cold. I'm still in my shorts too - but this morning was the first time my legs actually felt cold when I stepped out of the door (but once I got going they were fine). So no tracksters for me just yet.

No injuries here - just a couple of self-inflicted niggles. My right knee has been a bit stiff - I'm sure what caused that was slipping and sliding around a bit in the mud on last week's U3A ramble. And my hamstrings are a bit sore - but I know that's from bending over yesterday while doing some gardening. However, neither of those niggles stopped me from running so I went out this morning. Thanks to the clock change at the weekend, it was light enough when I set off at 6:40am not to need the head-torch. I only did 4.1 mls and impressed myself with my metronomic pace - 11:00 11:00 11:04 10:50 1:15 - as you can see, I sped up on the final mile.

Going to root out my folder with stretching exercises and look for ones for my hamstrings. And root out my foam roller too as that will probably help too.

And a small bit of diy to do today as well. There is a foam surround on our front-door letterbox which has worked loose and come away and is now hanging down below and gets caught when the post arrives. I'll have to pop round to our local diy shop as I'll need some super-glue to stick the foam back onto the plastic. I expect I already have some super-glue 'somewhere' - but have no idea where! :)
  • Damien, a TM upstairs must be a hell of a noise. My rower is right above our living room and isn’t too bad in terms of noise. 

Mel, you are right, allotments are lovely places and seem to bring out the best in people. Mrs JB is getting better, thanks. It’s such a change for her to be crocked and not me. I actually prefer to take one for the team not because I’m a great guy, which I am manifestly not, but because she is so much more useful than I am in terms of childminding, driving, decorating ......the list is endless! She is available for hire, but you have to go though her agent i.e. yours truly.

HS, sounds like a nice little run, socially if not in terms of performance. As to your point about housing, one of my pals knows about this. We were passing a plot where some new executive, silly word, style place were being built. They’ll sell for god know what. My mate reckons the building costs are about 30 grand, and that they’ll be dodgy in terms of standards. The whole housing market is a shocker, but I don’t know the answers.

No run today, just a bit of rowing. 
  • Afternoon all,

Another brief visit from me, and although I have read back over all your posts since I was last here I’m afraid I’m not going to attempt to respond to any in detail as I’m afraid I simply haven’t got time. I see there are reports of winter sniffles, and the odd injury or two, I hope these all clear up swiftly and everyone gets back to top form asap. 
    WtnMel - what is Mrs WtnMel feeding you? Whatever it is I want some, you seem to have boundless energy. 
    Redmist - you sound like a very competitive sort of person, but I agree with HS, your body would probably benefit from a couple of days rest, particularly as it’s been fighting off those germs recently. 
    JB - does Mrs JB know you are offering to hire her out? :o
    Damien - my husband sounds just the same on a treadmill. 
    HS - that was a kind thing to do, sacrificing your 5k time to guide those other runners who didn’t know the course. I hope you get a great time next Saturday as a reward.  :)

I’ve been going out with Steve on his Couch to 5k runs lately. He started them a few weeks ago after the hospital said they needed to know how he would cope with running again (the recording from the 7 day heart monitor didn’t show any further AF episodes but it does appear that something else may be going on, so they want to know if/how exercise will affect him). So far the sessions have been a mixture of walking and running, but this week it is all running, which feels like a big step up. As it’s a few weeks since I’ve done any running I’m quite happy just tagging along and slowly building up my fitness again. 

Incidentally, I’ve been contacted by a company called Synexus asking if I would take part in a clinical trial for a Covid vaccine. I’ve decided against it, which makes me feel a little selfish but as I’ve never heard of them, and I’m quite capable of making myself ill without any external input, I didn’t want to take the risk. Anyone else been contacted?
  • Welcome back Aquarius,

I'm only popping on here briefly and will respond to the posts tomorrow.

WtnMel, I do recommend the Garmin 645 music, which Jane and I got from Argos for £200.00. The full price is £300, so if they still have them for that price, they are a bargain. With Jane's help I've now been able to name courses and sync via Garmin Express to my Garmin. In Garmin Connect on the laptop, click the icon that looks like a gear in the top right hand corner. In the drop down list click "save as course." It will insert the same name as already there as the run name. It is quite straight forward from there and will say to connect the device to Garmin Express. This will sync to the garmin connect app and the garmin watch. Straight forward when you know how.😁
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

JB - I had an allotment many years ago. Nowadays, I grow a few runner beans on the small patch at the end of the garden and that's about my limit. My partner Margaret is very skilled with cooking - the sort of resourceful lady who can look in the fridge and decide what to make with what is available. She does decorating too if it's more convenient to do so (like when I was on a walking holiday once). But she does like me to get stuck in to the 'heavy work' in the garden and keeping the lawns cut.

Aquarius - I know you're busy at the moment so glad to see you were able to pop in and let us know how you are. Boundless energy? - you've obviously not seen me nodding off in front of the tv in the evening after my dinner and a glass of wine ;) I saw on GC you'd been out on a couch to 5k run but obviously didn't know at the time it was with Steve - glad to hear all is going okay so far. I'd heard that they were looking for volunteers to take part in a covid-19 vaccine trial but I've not been contacted. To be honest, I had understood they were looking for younger people to take part in the trial (30-50 yr olds). I personally wouldn't volunteer either because of my age but will have no qualms about having the vaccine when it does eventually become available.

HS - thanks for the advice re the Garmin 645 Music and for the pointer towards Argos doing a good price at the moment. That was the model I had in mind from the previous conversations we've had. As you say .. sync'ing courses to the 645 via Garmin Connect and Garmin Express .. easy-peasy when you know how! 😁

I've used my foam roller on my hamstrings this afternoon - it seems to have loosened them up a bit.

I've also glued the foam back on to the letterbox surround after getting some superglue from the diy shop. This time I've taken the precaution of telling Margaret where I've put the glue so between us, we should be able to find it next time we need it. While doing the letterbox I discovered the flap has been bent (I suspect by whoever deliver the weekend papers forcing it through). I expect the postie is familiar with the problem - and now we leave a plastic crate out for the papers, it shouldn't get any worse.

I'm hosting the inaugural U3A 'Book Circle Online' meeting on Zoom tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to actually speaking to the four ladies who've joined the group (all communication has been via email so far) and I hope we can agree between ourselves some ground rules on how to run the group and discuss ideas for books to read.

And no golf this week (apart from me going to the driving range) so Alan and I (and partners) are having a Zoom chat on Wed afternoon.
  • Aquarius, good to hear that you are running and it sounds as though Steve is making good progress. Long may it continue. I certainly see your point on unwillingness to be a guinea pig. I’d be the same and I too would feel a bit guilty.
    As for hiring out Mrs B, the matter hasn’t yet cropped up in our conversations. But she’s a reasonable person and I don’t anticipate any issues.👍🏼

Mel, good to hear that the foam roller has helped. And cheaper than going to an osteopath! On the book club issue, Mrs B is still wading though Jane Austen and It is more of a duty a than a joy. That would kind of put me off TBH.

Having consumed a big chunk of chocolate, I made myself go out out for a punishment squad 3 mile run. Managed it in 22.04. This wasn’t my usual prom course but in my local cemetery where there a lovely, smooth 250 metre track. 

Leapt on the scales  this morning and have put on a couple of pounds, despite exercising quite a lot lately. I think this might be loosely connected with that chocolate.....and biscuits.

Went for a coffee today with someone I went to school with 60 years ago. We fell out of touch for 55 of these but have picked up our friendship again. It’s all rather nice.

Aquarius, we weren't too bothered about our 5k times on Saturday, as we realised a while ago that it was counter productive to try to  improve our times each time we ran it. We now intend to make 2020 PB attempts every 3rd or 4th week. In between to be at tempo pace. We won't be going for a fast time this Saturday, because on Thursday, we are doing the Club's virtual 5 mile cross country challenge. The Club has given us all the option to pay an entry fee. All monies will be going to a local hospice, which is a great idea.
    It's good to hear that you have been doing couch to 5k sessions with Steve and have progressed to all running.
    I haven't been contacted regarding testing a Covid vaccine and don't think that I would agree to one.

WtnMel, I have a feeling that when you get a new Garmin for Margaret, you will have responsibility  for setting it all up etc 😁
    Good that your foam roller seems to have helped to loosen your hamstrings.
    A good idea having a plastic crate for your newspapers. I don't envy the posties having to struggle with letter boxes on their rounds, especially when dogs try to bite their fingers off. I find it tricky putting xmas cards through neighbours letter boxes at Christmas.
    Good luck with your Book Circle on line meeting this afternoon.
    Hope your practice on the driving range will be productive.

JB, that was a speedy 3 mile run. Rather unusual, a 250 metre running track in a cemetery🤣 I very seldom weigh myself, as I don't seem to put on any weight, no matter what I eat.
    That must have been nice, meeting up with an old friend that you hadn't seen for 60 years. How did you recognise each other?
    I'm going for a pub lunch tomorrow with a friend I have known for many years since we worked in the same Establishment about 35 years ago. We have often met up though for pub lunches and runs. I'm a bit apprehensive, as I haven't been in a pub since the pandemic, and with the NHS app on my phone am hoping that I won't get an alert that I have been in contact with someone having the virus.

I had a very enjoyable 13k forest run yesterday with Sarah F and Jane.  The sun was shining and we ran a hilly, muddy course. We were surprised at the number of dog walkers, bearing in mind the underfoot conditions.
  • HS, enjoy your trip to the pub. I’ve just watched the regional news and there is speculation that Bournemouth and Poole might be moved into Category 2 for Covid. Not sure if that impacts you but it is of concern I’m sure.

To respond to your question, I met up with my old schoolmate through a mutual and in the sad circumstances of the death of another mutual friend.

Your message got me thinking about friends and I worked out that the overwhelming majority of my pals are ex workmates from a place I left 14 years ago. I then worked at 2 other places, but have only kept in touch with one person.

I’m not sure what this shows, but I guess it points to some workplaces generating more social contacts than others. Ironically it was a place where many of us felt rather trapped!
  • Morning all,

JB, thanks! Re the Covid Categories, it's almost certain that Bournemouth and Poole will be moved into Category 2. They also appear to be requesting that all of Hampshire be moved into Category 2. It's definitely a concern.

Since leaving school, most of my friends have also been workmates, but as my workplaces have been "all over the place," they have changed over the years and I have lost touch. All of my friends are now those that I have made from the Running Club, and on this forum, of course😁
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    hillstrider: Listened to all advice and my body re resting and took a few days off. All injuries and twinges have cleared up. However, as is my usual fate with colds, it has moved to my chest. That's what 50 years of smoking does for your lungs. Might have to cancel my Thursday evening run as well as last nights TM 5K5G session.
    I spent a great couple of years working in Bournemouth. Used to drive from Wigan early on Monday morning and back late on Friday. Stayed at the Norfolk Royale on Richmond Hill, as was helping to install a computer system at the Portman BS next door. I remember putting on two stone in weight over that time. I put that down to some great eating houses and a generous expenses budget. Happy days.
    WtnMel: I'm just about to put my electric golf trolley on ebay (or maybe facebook market place). I got it and a bag from my fellow directors as a leaving present a few years ago. I've used it about 10 times and found it more trouble than its worth. Just more things to remember to do and prepare before a game. Whilst I am able, I'll continue with a carry bag and cut down on the weight as much as possible, i.e. not taking 30 spare golf balls, just in case.
    JB: Hope your wife is fully recovered now and able to assist with your hire business. Can't stop imagining you doing 250m sprints in the cemetery. Is the distance just an educated guess or have you actually measured it.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    RM, yes it’s not a pretty picture is it? The cemetery is about a 5 minute run from home. Various members of my and Mrs JBs families are there on the wrong side of the turf. A couple of years ago the council put in this tarmac circular path, slightly undulating, smooth and 250 metres. It was in part of the cemetery pretty much shielded from the rest of it. I kind of adopted it as my personal track. Then suddenly one day there was a solitary grave. And then some more. This coincided with the Covid outbreak. It then seemed kind of disrespectful to use the space as a running circuit and so I stopped. But every now and then, if there’s no one around........
    Mrs JB is on the mend, thanks.
    BTW I used to make annual overnight visits to Bmouth for a few years. They used to put me in a nice hotel right by the prom to the east of the pier. There were these lovely, steep winding paths onto the beach, ideal for training. I liked the place and was a bit put out when the contract ended. It’s not as lively as Brighton though......and the footie team is, for now, in a lower division.
    Best of luck fighting off the bug.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

JB - sorry to hear Mrs JB is 'wading' through her Jane Austen book and not exactly enjoying it. Well done re that 22:04 3ml run. Nice to hear of you getting back in touch with someone after such a long break. I'm not very good at all at keeping up with old friends/acquaintances and have lost touch with most of them from over the years. I suppose a cemetery is an unusual place to run but then again, I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid running through the grounds of my local church! I've not been to Bournemouth for a long time but many years ago I attended a seminar for a software product my company used that was based at the five-star East Cliff Hotel. It was mid-summer so I had several days there enjoying the excellent food and the outside pool (with waiters on hand to deliver you a cold beer as you sunbathed on a lounger). It was a shame to have to go back to work and normality after that experience.

HS - good idea to spend money on a race and for it to go to a charity instead. I'm sure to be in charge of setting up Margaret's Garmin - see below for the latest on that subject. Re the book circle group - again, see below for an update. I've not managed to get to the driving range yet - possibly tomorrow or maybe on Fri. I weigh myself each weekend after my run - I figure doing it the same time each week gives me a more accurate idea from week to week. I think I mentioned I've been logging my weight regularly in a spreadsheet since 2002 - the accompanying graph makes for interesting viewing over the years but at least the weight is gradually going down these days rather than increasing. Re meeting in a pub - I've had to install the NHS Covid app as the golf courses I play at expect you to check-in using it.

Redmist - glad to hear you've taken the advice and rested and given those niggles a chance to clear up. Selling a hardly-used electric golf trolley eh? Sounds interesting. You'll have to supply me with the link to wherever you put it online. I did look online at Motocaddy as that's what my friend Alan has. But the basic model like his I was interested in is no longer available. When I go to the driving range I'm going to enquire if they do electric golf trolleys as well as the bags/clubs etc. they sell. I'd rather buy local and support them if possible but if not, I can see a visit to my local 'American Golf' store may be needed.

I mentioned about buying Margaret a Garmin for xmas and from speaking to her, she doesn't want lots of unnecessary 'bells & whistles' she won't use and just wants a simple Garmin that is easy to operate. The main thing it should do is the 'back to start' function I have on my FR 230. From checking online, it doesn't look like the Garmin 45 (which Aquarius has) includes that function and the 245 is full of 'extras' Margaret doesn't want. I think the best bet is probably the FR 230 like mine. But as that's now quite an old model, I might struggle to find anywhere still selling it. I may end up having to look at alternatives like the hand-held eTrex series - but Margaret would much prefer the convenience of something on her wrist).

The online book group meeting went well yesterday. We agreed to limit the number in the group to 8 (discussions might get unmanageable otherwise) and I confirmed everyone is happy to meet on the 2nd Tue of each month at 2pm. Between us, we came up with 3 or 4 books we might read over the coming months. And as our first 'official' meeting is only two weeks away, one lady suggested we read a short(ish) Agatha Christie book (her first novel called "A Mysterious Affair at Styles) as it's only 300 pages long. I got a copy of that for my Kindle - a bargain at £2.99

I ran 5.5mls this morning and got very wet. I've had to pack my shoes with newspaper to help them dry out. I did a different route to normal and tried some roads on the new estate that has been built near us. It all went well apart from one road which was blocked off with metal fences. But it wasn't a problem as there was a green space nearby which I was able to run through instead to get to where I wanted. It was good to find some different roads to run along and there's another big estate on the other side of the village that I can investigate another time.

I'm currently charging my old Samsung Galaxy phone. I look after an old Nokia mobile for a club and the coverage is abysmal (ID network - which piggy-backs on the Three network). I'm going to see if it's possible to use wifi calling on the phone to stop all the problems with having no mobile signal and people not being able to get through when they call.
  • Mel, reading about your hotel and the quality of service therein gives me grounds for inferring that you must have been a significantly bigger cheese than me! I confess I’ve never read an Agatha C. novel, but the BBC have done a few serialisations of some of them over the past few Xmases and they’ve been really excellent. Happy reading! And I’ve never yet read a book via kindle. There’s something about picking up a dog eared book that is so reassuring and comforting. I am something of a technophobe, I confess.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - nope, l was just one of the plebs at the company. Guess I just struck lucky that I looked after that particular bit of software and the company who marketed it decided to splash the cash and use a 5* hotel as the base for their seminar. To give you an idea of how long ago it was - a familiar-looking guy asked me to point him in the direction of the pool changing rooms. Couldn't think where I knew him from. It was only when I saw him 'in costume' being interviewed by the local TV company, I realised it was Paul Shane from Hi-De-Hi who was doing a summer season show on the prom and promoting it. I don't exclusively use my Kindle and still prefer a 'real' book. But it is convenient to read on the Kindle late at night in bed with the 'blue shade' switched on (makes the screen go dimmer and more restful).

Redmist, glad to hear that your injuries have cleared up, but sorry to hear that your cold has gone to your chest. I hope that you have stopped smoking now, after 50 years?

JB, have you ever thought about running round the graveyard track at night, in the dark? I would imagine it would be rather spooky👻
    I don't have a Kindle and would much rather select books from the library or buy from a bookshop. It's good to get away from all the screens that seem to rule our lives nowadays.

WtnMel, on the subject of money going to good causes, the Oakhaven 10 mile off road race which was to be held on November 15th, will now be a virtual race with the entry fee going to the Hospice. The e mail has a link to the "actual course" which could be used, but without marshalls, facilities etc, or do courses of our choice. I can't really see the point of doing the actual course, but am considering doing it in the forest and sending the route on Strava, like  I did for the NF Virtual Half Marathon, to the organisers. There will be no t shirt, but a medal if we request it.
    Good to hear that your weight is decreasing, rather than going in the other direction.
    We were rather disappointed with our pub meal. I ordered a vegetarian pie, which I was later informed was "off" and an alternative was a vegetarian wellington with the choice of chips or mash plus more veg. I opted for chips which were good, as was the wellington, but the broccoli and cauliflower were cold and hard. I didn't complain, as apparently poorer meal standards have been fairly common everywhere since the Covid. I felt sorry for the waitress who seemed to be "a jack of all trades" and the chef was probably not the usual one. I scanned the code with my NHS app on entry and hoping that I'm not contacted to say I had been in contact with a carrier.  
    Good luck with your search for a suitable garmin or equivalent for Margaret.
    Glad your online meeting went well. I haven't read any of Agatha Christies books. 
    It's always good to try new routes. That's where I'm lucky living so near to the forest, there are so many different ones to explore.
    That's interesting you mentioning wi fi calling, as I have it turned off in my settings on my Galaxy S8, as I wondered what it was for. I now realise that it is for making phone calls using wi fi. when there is no mobile signal.

On Thursday we ran the club's 5 mile cross country challenge. The weather was foul, heavy rain, strong winds, wet and muddy underfoot, and plenty of roots lurking to trip us up. I ran with Sarah F and Mike ran with Jane. They were way ahead of us as they are much quicker. We were pleased with our time of 44.08. 
    Tomorrow is the usual 5k which will be slower than usual, because of Thursdays challenge.  It's forecast heavy rain, so I will wear my trail shoes again.
  • redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: I'll let you know when I place my golf trolley on either Facebook or ebay. It's a Powacaddy Freeway with a Powacaddy trolley bag. Not sure about what I would ask for them, given the postage costs. The weight of the lithium battery alone would cost the earth in postage. May well have to be collection only. Think your best bet is as you suggested, i.e. local golf club or ranges that sell members stuff.
    Paul Shane eh. Think I might have that trumped. Quite a few of the acts performing at the Pavilion stayed at the Norfolk Royale when I was there. Tom Jones took over most of the first floor for him and his crew. I once had breakfast with the band Big Country on the table next to me (well three of them). Think Shirley Bassey also stayed whilst I was there but didn't see her.
    hillstrider: As I think I mentioned when I first posted, I gave up smoking at 58 (yes, that does mean I started at 8 years old). That's why I was so annoyed at having a heart attack two years after I'd given up. My chest was much better yesterday; so much so that I took to the treadmill in the evening. Only 5K, rather than my usual Thursday 10K, but I did get a PB of 26:27. Think I'll concentrate on speedwork for the next month or so, as I'm on a roll. 
    Good weekend all.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

HS - JB could run around the graveyard at night with a sheet over him to be even more spooky 👻 I agree - there doesn't seem to be a need to follow the Oakhaven course if you can do a virtual one and send them the results of an equivalent distance run from Strava. Unfortunately, my weight had increased when I did my usual post-run weekend weight check earlier. Shame about that disappointing pub meal - but glad to hear you used the NHS app to check-in when you arrived. I'm still searching for a Garmin for Margaret but hoping she'll go for the Vivoactive 3 which seems to be the easiest to operate. Well done re your club's cross-country challenge with that horrible weather to contend with as well as the muddy conditions.

Redmist - don't worry about posting a link to your trolley when you put it up for sale .. I hadn't really thought it through when I posted and as you say, the weight would be a major factor. In the meantime, I have asked at my local golf club and although they don't stock them, they're happy to order an electric trolley. They recommended a Motocaddy one which is what my friend Alan has and he has no complaints. So I'll look online to see what models they do and decide on which one to get (plus what accessories to get - a bag to put it in and save getting the car boot muddy would be a must!). Yep - Jones the voice (plus Big-ish Country at breakfast) definitely trumps Paul Shane.

I ran this morning and was quite lucky with the weather with the waterproof jacket going on and off a few times (on to start, off as I warmed up, on when it started raining, off again when the rain stopped). I ran 4.5mls and my clubmates don't seem to have been getting out or running as far this week as I've currently reached the giddy heights of 2nd position on the AApub2pubrun leader-board. It will all change tomorrow. Towards the end of my run I thought I could see a familiar figure ahead - it was my clubmate Iris walking the dog with her husband.

Changing to my old Samsung Galaxy Fame phone seems to have done the trick re the club's phone - it looks like I have got wi-fi calling working okay and apart from that, the mobile reception seems to be better on this phone as well.

• I only saw one other runner today who looked almost beaten by the strong winds.
    I only did my run today to complete the strava 100k challenge for October. The conditions here today are terrible.
    Keep up the hard work folks.

• Just snuck in with a run before the rain arrived. However, a fierce cross wind made it hard going, so pleased in a non smug sort of way with 22.49. Quite a few other runners braving the conditions on the prom. 

RM, that’s a pretty much an A list of celebs. Can’t get anywhere near that. One of my mates got a knighthood so is that any good?  Well done on the PB

Mel, your 2nd position on the leaderboard certainly dwarfs my pal’s knighthood! But Better still than running around a cemetery with a white sheet on ones head. 

As for Halloween, and I have add Bonfire Night, I’m a real misery-guts these days and quite welcome the wet weather. 

Popped in to my local charity shop to stock up on books in case of the rumoured national lockdown.

As I am an armchair rugby fan I look forward to watching the matches today in the hope that England emerges triumphantly. I always feel better watching sport on TV if I’ve had some exercise myself.

Hope all have a good weekend, albeit one battered by the weather.

• redmistredmist ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: good luck with the trolley search and well done re your 2nd place.
    JB: go on, give us a clue on the identity of your knight friend. Is he/she sport related.
    Although I prefer rugby league (especially after last night's result), I do enjoy watching Union. I've been quite disappointed with the lack of coverage/recognition afforded to JJ Williams following his sad demise this week. Not a good week, what with Nobby yesterday and now Sean Connery.
    Well done with the running in this weather. The rain doesn't worry me but strong winds, that's another story. May have to review my Sunday morning 9. That said, it's beautiful here at the moment with only medium strength wind.

Redmist, sorry, I do remember now that you informed us that you had given up smoking. Well done for your 5k treadmill pb.

WtnMel, I've synced the Oakhaven 10 mile course to my garmin, so it's just possible that I might do it. I'll see what Sarah says on Monday. I hope Margaret will be pleased with the Garmin she chooses.
    Well done for your 2nd position in the leader board, even if it is only for a short while. Good that you have got wi fi calling working.

Damien, well done for your 100k October challenge.

JB, well done for your 22.49 in the cross wind.

Ran 5k in the forest yesterday with Sarah and Mike, in atrocious conditions. Heavy rain, very strong winds and wet and muddy underfoot. Our times were slower than usual due partly to the conditions, and the after effects of Thursdays cross country 5 mile challenge. In the circumstances, 28.15 didn't seem too bad.
  • Well done to Damien and HS for running in such horrible conditions. I really do not like mud and do everything to avoid it. Thus today I was  on nice tarmac paths doing my graveyard shift. Tried to make this a bit harder by throwing in lots of short slopes and doing them ‘fast’.

Judging by how I felt afterwards, this was indeed pretty hard. And talking of which, I was inspired by reading of someone who, while in prison became a world record holder on the rowing machine and then after release has become a top iron man contestant.
    Whilst in his cell, he devised a routine involving among other things, 1000 press ups.
    I’m having a go at this today. It’s harder than I thought. I’m up to 750 for the day with the evening still young......
    RM, my knighted mate was a colleague in FE, so not a household name. He sat on one side of me and the guy on the other side got an MBE. This was years after
    we all left the college. I’m no fan of the Honours system but I have to say that they were exceptional guys. But could they do a 1000 press ups in a day??

PS RM, I only ever saw one rugby league game. It was the Aussie team of the early 80s V. St Helens. The Aussies were playing rugby from a different planet and the hard core home supporters were gob smacked. Rugby Union is a posh lads game, in England anyway, but I love it.