Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    JB sent me a link for "fast running" and their weekly round up - i got my name in there :D  
    Bit gutted for my pal, who was 3rd lady in the half, but because some utter donut bloke entered as female, he's been declared 2nd woman, and she's missed out on a top 3 mention!

Emily Proto who run the 5k outright has a link to her insta on there, and she's insanely consistent with her 5ks looking at her record

17.28 at Goodwood late Sep
    17.29 at Newbury last week
    17.31 at BP  early sep
    17.32 today
    17.34 at Rye early Sep

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Too consistent! Why bother with all that travel if you pretty much know it will be within 5 secs of 17'30 each time😉
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    17.28 is her pb, so it must be great to be that close to your pb so repeatedly. Looks to have a history back to 2011 too, so not like she's having the inevitable first year or 2 glory spell.

She quoted a mad 5.16mile in there today. Now that's a keen start
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    She was decent, went off the boil a bit, but has got back to it through the summer. She is part of a couple of South coast training groups.

Good stuff Pete, nice that you've managed to get back to it and remain robust agan.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I think Emily fell apart having been overtaken by me in the final miles of the 2019 Worthing HM 😂! I remember that well, she had a cyclist with her and he made it very difficult to get past for some reason.

Nice run Pete and good to see that Ellie has got it together for her events. She puts on some really nice low-key events and I’m pleased to see that she’s able to keep going in these times. 

I’ve just entered the Hatfield 5 in late Nov. It’s a bit of a trek tbh but it’s a race that I‘ve looked at a few times in the past. Need a bit of focus and hopefully I can use a race in the calendar to provide that over the next few weeks.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    She had a personal pacer, Wool? 

She's not that big time an act is she? I mean 1730 is decent for us blokes, and thus very decent for a lady, but it's not like she was doing a near solo HM time trial on a bleak wet and windy Dorney in 1.15.03 like JB's clubmate!

Hatfield - I'd be up for that if it's on. Have meant to get back there since myself, Bus and Phil had  road trip there in what amazingly is already 4 years back! XC/vertigo have got in the way since.
    But i'll always remember it fondly as it was in my unsure I was fully back period after only doing parkruns for a stretch - but it went pretty brilliantly, low 28s!

Dull route, but that's perfect for flatness sometimes!

Interesting that there's a bit of covid/refund type chat, and splitting the race into 2, but no actual mention of how they're planning on doing it.
    Rolling start, gangs of 6/12 etc.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I suppose that she may have had a lead bike with her. Excellent event that one at Worthing but wind that makes a windy day at Dorney look flat calm.

I didn’t realise that you’d done Hatfield SG. Boring sounds good enough for me, it’s not like Perivale or even Marlow are the sexiest of routes! I thought you might be interested, didn’t want to invite you directly though as I could do without the M1 being shut or something  ;)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    That was the lead bike. Fair play to her she was on her feet doing massages at Brighton marathon expo in the 2 days prior to the race, ran the mara and then did more massage after the race too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you don't have to rely on me for a lift all is well :)

In fairness, out of 264 races now it really is a small(ish) handful with shenanighans :)
    It just seems to be a lot of the recent ones.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR said:
    That was the lead bike. Fair play to her she was on her feet doing massages at Brighton marathon expo in the 2 days prior to the race, ran the mara and then did more massage after the race too.
    Looking at the results she came around 30th.

So was she ever leading outright, or did they have a lead bike for the ladies race?If it's the latter, that has to be quite unusual right? In a mixed, open race?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Not leading outright, marders won it one of the times i did it, so the is high. Not sure i remember a bike at the front ahead of him though.......no one would be able to ride it fast enough to stay ahead of marders into the wind.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a perk for a lady if they're a rare race that offers a lead bike for their race too. But I'd have thought you have those ahead of you for pacing and directions, so not really needed.

Just the potential to irritate someone like Wool :D

I marshalled the Marlow half one year about 10miles in, and we hadn't budgeted for when the first guy would come past. We just saw the lead bike flash past us sat in the car, and it was HECK...best get out and start marshalling :)

No worries as it was a straight route. Not like both the Wycombe 10k where a marshal hadn't made a key junction in time one year, or even worse a Marlow 5k, where a marshal presumed everyone was past, and two poor middle aged ladies ended up doing a massive extra diversion and taking about 45mins for 5k!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Maybe it was a friend not a lead bike.
  • I’ve seen bikes for 1-3 male & female in races. Least I presume they had them for the men too 😂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure too many organisers want people just turning up with their mates cycling next to them  :)

Right, fancied a dip back into threshold type stuff today, so went for a 
    4x5mins off 90secs job. Just across town, rather than on the track.

Not a doss on pavements and crossing the odd road and looking out for hazards etc.

But my plucked from the air 5.50 ish type figure actually ended up being exactly the average due to the tastier last one.

for the average paces for each 5mins. Around 0.85miles per rep.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    9.5 single today. Miserable wet and dull job. But all done thank goodness.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Thread lull at the moment - perhaps unsurpisingly.

However the show goes on!

Session 12 of my 5k plan today. One that I've either not really bothered with before, or taken too little recovery time and seen the splits nosedive!
    Having done it with the proper 3min recoveries, I can see why it needs those now!

5x400, off 3mins, at 800pace

Just about in the 70xx for the average, which is probably dead right, as I doubt I'd be racing an 800 beyond 2.20?
    Nice short (very) sharp one for a Friday.
  • *Biannual delurk*

I am also signed up to do the Hatfield 5 mile race (just significantly slower than you boys!). Will be interesting to see what their plans are apart from the faster and slower starts. 

Not done this one before, but hearing it’s boring but flat sounds ok to me!

• Couple of tasty sessions this week SG
    Down in N.Devon for the week so been exploring the local lanes & dodging the rain as much as I can. 77M in the last 6 days so doubt tomorrow’s 2nd crack at Woolacombe Dunes parkrun will be up to much. Least the 55mph gusts along the beach mile will be at my back this time. :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stick around AD - we're always looking for positive contributors.

Seems there's a national lockdown dropping this week, which very likely kills November racing :(
    Fingers crossed it somehow doesn't do!

Obligatory big week there Jools! Looking out the window here, it's a good job today is a SAT OFF, and tomorrow is just a normal long run not a turnout
  • I ran parts of the Marlow Half course yesterday. Passed the post where SG used to marshall for years. The puddle in the dip is already there but not quite as impressive as it was a few years ago. There is also a path established through the undergrowth nearby so it must be a regular occurrence. I saw mile markers painted on the road which is odd: they were clearly fresh but it is a virtual race this year. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Will have to do that half again one day. Before the years run out!
    Always the option of bottling it down to the 7 too, but the half whatever the pace comes out just for the challenge has to be on the list.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Well, I’m sorry AD if I had any influence in you entering! 
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    It’s ok, I’d booked before I read about it here!

It will be cancelled now anyway though obviously.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    13.5m today. Flattish 7.5miles or so into Marlow then a big hill enjoying about 15 of the local houses in Marlow Bottom having a string of decorated pumpins and various assorted dummies laid out. The hill carries on into some woods which is a bit of a slog, but eventually becomes a gentle gradient, and then one short climb across a field, and you're back flat.

Bit more woods later, but down, and all in for 7.15 pace.

Noticed I'd registered a 7th in a segment on the hill, about 12secs quicker than I'd done it in July, which shows it can't be that well trodden a road, or when it is, it's dribbled out!
    No surprise the top dogs on it have done it as the start of their run, or as an effort.

61 for the week, day off work tomorrow, so will do a furlough days-esque single 10 somewhere different. Whilst driving to do a run still feels acceptable!
  • Welcome back AD. Lockdown 2.0 hey, good times. Having been against lockdown since the very beginning I have been giving some thought as to how I can show my non-compliance but I can't for the life of me think of anything I normally do that actually contravenes the rules. Perhaps it's a sad indictment of my social life  :D
    There has been an uptick in my running the last two weeks, no real plan around it other than to get out and run more and see where it takes me. I enjoyed a good splash through some muddy puddles this morning, all very slow though.
    I won't be thinking about races for a while so the next 6 weeks of lockdown nonsense should have minimal impact.
  • Pleased to report a 22:18 on Saturday's (not)parkrun at Woolacombe Dunes. B) Whilst that may not sound great I'm dead happy with it as it's a 3 minute improvement on my of effort 3 weeks ago, puts me 160th of 4,137 finishers & 2nd (of 22) from my club. The only guy ahead of me is about half my age & won it in 20:52 when he was running sub 18 regularly elsewhere. I did another hilly dozen along the SWCP Sunday.
    All those hills have left me finding the local canal runs dead easy :) 
    Got an invite to a track 5,000m tomorrow evening from my running colleague. 4 heats of a dozen, seeded by estimated finish times. It's not licensed unfortunately so no Po10 but should be a good evening. Proper numbers, timekeepers etc & a decent race atmosphere. The fastest guy is looking to break 15 for the first time though my mate who coaches him thinks 15:20-15:30 is a more realistic target. He's done 5x1K off 90s all in the 2:59-3:01 range recently but not done much racing. Think his PB is 16:15 set a year ago.
  • That could be the last race of the year Jools! Nice work on the Not parkrun. I think I am going to take on a climbing challenge for Lockdown 2.0. Nothing in your league as it's pretty flat round here but I am setting 8,848 metres as the target. Doesn't sound like much but in the first 10 months of this year I haven't done that much so to do it in 27 days is a stark contrast. Chances are slim.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's certainly sneaking a turnout in at the very latest doors Jools!

Just glad I got 4 of the "new style" races in, to at least bulk 2020 up to 5!
    Imagine how eager we'll be for proper races when/if they ever return.

Different sort of challenge Reg - we need all we can get to keep motivation high right now.
    But then I dare say on this thread we have a lot of motivation in the scheme of things.

Will continue the dabble back into threshold tomorrow with either a 4x1mile job, or 5x5mins. See how it goes. At the track though, rather than like last week's storm across town.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Guess that's the height of Everest then Reg? Sounds tough but then again didn't Joe do it in a day😉

Nice Work at Woolacombe Jools. Old boy who used to run with my club moved there a few years back and reckons plus 3 mins for a decent runner compared to a typical fast course, so equiv to about a low 19 min time for you. Does that seem about right?

Told SG I had nothing of interest to report on here but he said to let the forum be the judge of that so here goes!

Been doing lots of Thameside runs on sections between Shepperton and Windsor. Incredible how easy running is with zero elevation. Low 4's per k feels pretty doable even for me. Parts getting  quite muddy now though. 

Tried Woodley (not) parkrun on Sat but failed to even break 20 mins by a few secs. That (admittedly in ordinary running shoes on a windy day) on the back of a crappy Woodley 10k the week before has put me off the place for now (sorry Dachs if you still read the drivel we all spout on here😅). 

Other than that I just seen to be going back and forth across Sunningdale Golf course as the nearest off road stuff (join it just 1k from home). Quiet at the best of times unless a big tourney on, and will be totally deserted apart from runners and dog walkers from Thursday with golf being banned.

Big shame no races again now and even our club TT will be off. Only consolation is I will win the age grade trophy for the 4th consecutive year (oh the benefits of WAVA for old codgers😉).