Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I have bittersweet memories of 2009 Joe!  I had run 3:03 in 2008 and if anything was in better form in the build up to 2009.  Sod's law I got a sciatic nerve twinge in my leg about 3 weeks before the big day, ended up hobbling round in 3:07.

OO.. I have Barca for next Nov & possibly London if my GFA is good enough.  I'll keep an eye on spring/early summer for other opportunties.  BTW those coastal runs sound nice though I would bet they are an ordeal when the weather changes for the worse!

TR.. don't know what's happened to our traditional 'Indian Summer' but this week looks mostly wet & windy up here. :/

Heavy showers here today so wimped out for a progressive 10k on the treadie.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - you had best have a check of yr dates then.

Wardi - no indian summer, it was frosty this morning. Been mostly mild though, heating hasnt been needed yet.

13m tonight, back to monday mlr in the dark.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Facebook memories, it turns out today is the anniversary of my first sub 3. Celebrated with a steady 5 miles.
  • TR - Dark mlrs, its the time of year.
    Jools - Congrats and thinks to himself FB wasn't around when I did my first one!!
    Wardi - I will let you know tomorrow as a big storm coming in and I fancy a coastal path run from Rock to Pentire Point, primarily to see the big waves.  I hope some Spring / early summer marathons resume.  
    My London virtual marathon pack has arrived, decent medal, would have loved to have had a fridge magnet. Now an indecent number of marathon finishers t-shirts. 12.5m tonight in fading sunshine.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Nice jools - where was that Frankfurt? 2.58?

OO - good to get out in a bit of sunshine.

Was on the road early for work today so just the minimum 5m commute run in first.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I remember it well Jools, happy memories.  Is there a toast at the ready? :p

OO.. by contrast tomorrow looks dry & fine here but Thursday is a washout.  I've still got a lot of my marathon t-shirts too but some of the older ones have perished sadly.

TR.. nice MLR in the dark, I guess we might as well get used to it.  I hate December when it gets dark at 4pm!

10.6 soggy miles this morning (light rain) but found it strangely refreshing.
  • Happy anniversary Jools. I dont have FB but that memory thing sounds most useful. 

OO - nice getting the pack to commemorate the event. Good luck sighting the waves, sounds epic. Ever see the Comic Strip Presents.. film.. The Supergrass? Robbie Coltrane walking down that slip with the waves crashing around him sprang to mind... Two Tribes accompanied the visuals.. classic. 

TR - a nice way go kick off the week. Mondays have been my rest day during this campaign. Only 3 more mlr to do on my schedule. 

Wardi - you're a better man than me still getting outside when it's cold and wet. Horrible again this side of the Pennines so stayed indoors. 

Jools reminiscing made me think I have never collected anything or kept a diary so am moving through space and time like a goldfish. I barely remember tv shows which annoys Mrs SJ when I ask what is going on all the time. 

I sometimes wish I had kept something from all this running stuff. Sure I have a load of medals but they are dotted here there and everywhere. A mate of mine has all his race numbers on a wall in his study. Very cool collage effect. I have a load of shirts like all of us but I must admit to chucking those out too after a few years. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Frankfurt 2013. 2.59.04.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    If I recall correctly didn't you knock around 10 mins off that over the next few years Jools?  An improvement curve to be cherished.

Had a chat with my very senior clubmate yesterday, he won the London V60's in 2:55 in the mid-2000's with a 1:21 half during the build up.  He is 75 now and still running, 23.11 for 5k last week so I guess class is permanent.
    7m + 4M double today to keep the miles ticking over, pleasantly sunny if breezy this morning.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - i bin all the race goodies. 3 more mlr makes race day sound close.

Wardi - you're ticking along well.

Jools - then 2.52 and 2.49?

12m here tonight.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yup, 2.49 and stuck there for 5.5 years since 😂
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Wardi - hope for us all. Although your pal does sound a level above. 

TR - you can tell I'm getting sick of the midweek long runs to be counting them down :) 

Jools - awesome progression. I recall you joining in on that super six thread back in 2008 and I think we were similar back then. You have kicked on way more than me as I let things slide for a few years. I think I've missed the chance now of a sub 2.50 sadly. I dont think I will trouble my PB from last year of 2.54 in a few weeks either. Did you do anything specific to make that breakthrough? Or just back to back campaigns building and building? 

24km tonight outside :) damp, dark and a bit slippery on the fallen leaves. I quite enjoyed it. Cranked the jet engines up for last 30 mins to come home in sub 4min km pace. 

Switching to km has been a real game changer for me. I've totally stopped obsessing about pace as my frame of reference is so out of alignment. It shows that a lot of the info the gadgets give plays tricks on the mind. 
  • Wardi - I seem to remember it as a nice day. At some point we were probably quite close. I went through the half way mark in 1:32 before tailing off to a 3:20. Your mileage this week is looking good!

SJ - Sounding promising. Nice to finish a run that strong. Switching between kms and miles always throws a different perspective on things. I like that the watch does help me hold back a little bit when I need to but I think my body is still the best guide.

Haven't run a mile this week. The DOMS from Sunday's run is sticking around. Consigned myself to a full 5 days of rest which should help in quite a number of ways. Also means there's less to get in the way of the mammoth painting job we've got for the next 4 days in the house.
  • SJ - Maybe not, I ran the first of my sub250s when I was 52 from a 2.52 PB when 42,  so you have time on your side.  Nice looking end to an Autumnal run. 
    Wardi - Now he's a role model. 
    Joe - Enjoy the ultra.
    10m run with my mate inland, as the coastal path and seas did look a bit dodgy.   
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - im getting better at converting kms to miles now ive been listening to the aussies.

OO - sounds a bit less wild.

I did a wet 10m today. Was going to do 6m easy after ydays 12m, with a view to doing 13.1mp saturday, but ive sacked that due to 40mph winds,,so i did 3 easy, 7 ~mp+10% today, but ended up too quick with av 6.55, due to a bit more wind assistance than resistance, and wearing my fly flyknits.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice work TR, wise decision re. Saturday I reckon - it looks pretty wild up here too so no doubt worse on the coast!

Joe.. just looked back at my 2009 splits and I went through half way in 1:31 so yes very similar.

SJ.. I can't help converting k pace into miles for some reason. :|  Still, circa 6:20 pace in the last section of a longish run is impressive.  I do like the k splits in foreign marathons as psychologically they do seem to wizz by and give you a more regular pace check.

Raining all day here so hopped onto the treadie for a steady/recovery 5.2m.  Better day all round tomorrow so will get outdoors again!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    8 steady this morning.

SJ: I think the progression from 2.59 down was the result of 2.5 years of pretty much uninterrupted consistency. I think one bad cold (scuppered an odds on sub 3 attempt at London the spring before the first Frankfurt run) and a low grade calf tear a couple of months before the sub 3 were the only real problems. I know that I was also my lowest weight as well at pretty much seven stone dead when I ran the 2.52 and probably a similar weight for the 2.49. I'm not sure I'm prepared to be that skinny again, tbh, so I'll have to get stronger instead!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i found counting down the 11 laps of goodwood a bit of a mental change from counting down from 26, alrhough thats usually counting up to 20 and then counting down from there.

Jools - i may or may not get anywhere near pbs again (esp at shorter distances), but i try to focus on target times that will challenge me but are still achievable. Its a slight shift but keeps you interested.

Rainy 6m today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Similar TR, I usually count down from 16m at London - every little mental trick helps!

11.3m earlier today, a bit drizzly here too but warm so t-shirt duly worn.  Out at the racecourse I heard a young lass & Mum shouting frantically.  I thought they had lost their dog but it turned out to be the lasses 9 year old brother who had vanished on his toy scooter.  Joined in with the hunt, he was eventually found sulking behind a grass mound after apparently falling off the scooter!  :# All's well that ends well etc.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work there Wardi.

Was supposed to do 20 inc 13mp today, but storm aiden and an imminent lockdown put paid to that, knowing that Dorney in 3 wks will probably be cancelled, i wasnt that keen to run 20m in the pissing rain and wind, so i appeased myself with 16m.

308m for Oct which is solid given Goodwood was 27th sept.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Jools - as I thought then re the consistency. I can understand you not wanting to drop to that weight again. 

Wardi - glad the little fella was found. A worrying time I'm sure for the family. 

TR - dont blame you re shortening the long run today. Depending on what gets said later im debating if I will do the same tomorrow morning.

It doesn't look  good though. Second wave definitely here. Mini SJ is isolating as someone at college tested positive. He has no symptoms though. 

My sis down south and her family are all isolating after one of my nephews tested positive after being tested due to his teacher testing positive. This is going to get worse and worse unless we have total lockdown like in March. 

18km last night with 30 mins tempo. 10k easy today. I might be on the beers in a bit if the long run gets significantly shortened :) 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - hope your sister's family dont get it too bad, the youngsters seem to just feel a bit ropey for a day or so.........im more hopeful of Goodwood in December going ahead as lockdown is rumoured to be for November, hopefully we'll be able to take part dec 6th, cant see Dorney being on nov 22nd as travel will be frowned upon even if covid planned events proceed........just took the dog out in sunshine, i was wetter than an otters pocket running earlier.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. definitely getting worse here too - quite a few cases in my town now whereas there were hardly any in the spring/summer.  When I had my haircut early last week it turned out that the girl who washed my hair tested positive the day after.  They are all sanitised & masked up in there so I wasn't too concerned.  Anyway 12 days on and I'm fine so looks like I dodged a bullet there.  Best of luck for your crew.

TR.. 16m is still a good effort in this weather, definitely worth a beer!  Wind & rain here too until mid afternoon.

A planned easier day today so 5.3m done, cold & wet for the first mile then the sun came out.  I see London GFA opens next Wednesday so will make a note in my diary.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice to run in a bit of sun.

8m easy today. Fingers crossed for racing being allowed again December. Dorney in 3 wks will probably be cancelled. Will be frustrating if i end the year on the wind affected 3.00.00.
  • Disappointing but not wholly unsurprising news yesterday. Fingers crossed for some pre-Xmas racing still. Re-opening of a track is all I need in December.

Very solid month TR. Such a shame your consistency hasn't had its full rewards yet. Hope you can get that race in in December.

SJ - "Interesting" that you know a few isolating or having tested positive. I'm still yet to know anyone who's tested positive or even had to self-isolate I think. But perhaps that's because there's not any school-age kids in any of the families of my friendship groups? Beers sound like a good plan.

Wardi - Well done on finding some sun. That is some achievement in October.

A good job done on the painting. A few too many drinks the last couple of nights to celebrate. Haven't looked forward to a run for a while quite as much as I am the 10 miles planned for this afternoon :)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Can't remember ever celebrating a decorating feat Joe but it sounds like you worked well for it!  Hope you enjoyed the run.

Yes agreed re December fixtures TR.  I see the Auckland marathon happened in NZ yesterday 'as you were', no masks, distancing etc.  We can dream!

8.3m today, nowhere near as windy as yesterday so an enjoyable run.  Lashing it down now though.  58m for a solid week.
  • 10 yesterday and 15 today after feeling a bit ropey on Friday, so only 43 for the week. Still on track for 2,500 for the year, which will be my best since 2017, I think, and a good base for 2021.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - well done on the painting, good boozing too.

Shame re the soaking wardi, i only got lightly rained on today. Not sure NZ would let me in !

Jools - that 2500 could be a big step towards going sub3 again next yr.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    TR - Goodwood could yet be the scene of a 2020 sub3 triumph after all then. I hope so.
    Wardi - Solid indeed, you notching up plenty of 50+ weeks which is impressive. 
    Jools - Nice miles and a great base for better things in 2021.
    Joe - Job done!!  Hope you enjoyed the leg stretcher.  
    SJ - Think your right about CV, its only going to go one way until March. Both my older son (student) and wife (NHS) tested positive for antibodies in the summer, so both would have had it mostly likely March/April. Hopefully I would have had it then too, remember one day when I had a sore throat and a temp. 
    200m for Oct, with 4m today bringing up 2,000m for the year.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey OO, sounds like your household fought it off pretty well. ......i need LT 500 miles more for a leap year tastic 3660. Hopefully i need to taper in a few weeks though.