Saturday 7th November 2020 - I'm looking for an interruption, do you believe?

Morning.

Lyrics - I'm looking for an interruption, do you believe?

Mary says that this one keeps for a good six months Els but I'm only planning to make half the recipe which would be two jars - won't take me long to get through that if I bake mincemeat cakes. I'm also partial to a teaspoon in my porridge. Didn't know you could just leave the suet out though - thank you.

I'm paying for it this morning though Dustin - even getting out of bed was painful as my knee doesn't want to bend or straighten. I'm hoping it will ease on Lola's walk but if not there are always painkillers :-:smile:

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's lyrics were, "I'm still waiting," Diana Ross.

Hope the knee eases, LMH!

What: half an hour or so off road

Why: still being careful. No rush to fully get back to it!

Hopefully get into the garden, later: due to be a pleasant day.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • All that Xmas baking makes my mouth water :) not fond of suet myself and butter seems a good substitute. Would have to find a vegan option for some of my friends. I use coconut oil in some recipes. Not sure it would work in mincemeat. On the other hand meeting friends this side of Xmas is becoming less and less likely...

After a near miss at work my social angst is back. We had a notarisation on Thursday where the buyer insisted on a face to face meeting whereas my boss worked hard on all parties involved to do it via Zoom and use proxies instead. The notary was relaxed and left it up to the attendees to decide. Couple of people really rocked up at his office. And the buyer informed us yesterday that he'd been tested positive. Apparently he'd been having cold-like symptoms for a while 😱 Totally irresponsible. And that man is nearly 80!! He should know better surely?

Hope your knee settles, LMH. Difficult to get an appointment by the sounds of it.

Lovely day here. Just a walk today. I think jogging a bit every other day is the right thing at this stage.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Morning!

Quiet on here...but very busy out there on what is a beautiful autumnal day! Rarely seen so many people out on the river bank and trails. Mostly in family groups but the odd group of five or six, probably in their late twenties or early thirties and to whom the covid restrictions obviously don't apply. Then there was the group of around a dozen on the high school playing fields having a very organised football training session (bibs, cones, etc). Similar age to the above. 

Bumped into one of my physios, my back consultant and another runner so stopped for a social distanced chat with each. 

What: about 50 minutes, off road

Why: longest since 20th October with backing off pre-biopsy and even more afterwards. 

Chick: very philosophical attitude re other foot op! Time to get a little fitter before it happens?

Hazel: no chance of getting out at lunchtime if I work a whole day. 30 minutes max for lunch as the classes are all in bubbles so teachers have to supervise their bubble at lunch. In the normal run of things I work through lunch anyway, marking and preparing for the afternoon. Last time I ran at lunchtime was when I worked in a secondary school...over 40 years ago! 

Dustin: saw your daughter's hall of residence on the news! 

Cross post with Chick: looks like the same sort of day there as here!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chicksta - sensible attitude and a lovely day to be out from the looks of it. You can get vegan butter now and someone else suggested using Trex as a gf vegan substitute for suet - don't know if you can get either? Or I guess you could take Els approach and just leave it out. I like the fact that I could customise it and leave out the awful mixed peel. Very easy and smelt lovely even before the alcohol went in :-)

People seem incredibly relaxed about the restrictions this time round Alehouse - it doesn't bode well.

Knee is still giving me some Tourette's moments but eased a bit on Lola's walk.
  • Chick..lovely colours...bet you are enjoying running again!
    I tend to make mincemeat just before Christmas and use it up...no suet needed!
    Lovely run over Marwick head to Birsay and back with new to Orkney runner and Peter...not quite so sunny as yesterday but still v nice.
  • Afternoon,

I usually make a big batch and freeze it with mincemeat in tubs.

Els: Sounds a lovely day for a run with peter.

Chick : Lovely photo's.

What 5.75 miles
    Why: Because I can 
    Last hard: concrete
    Lyrics Nope

A nice run which I extended up a lane which does not have the best surface a private lane not looked after by Council.But happy ankles were fine.
    I do want to get back to the hills but that means chest torch so may wait a while.

It was the same here with restrictions people very relaxed over it which is not good news.Students at the u niversity had Halloween party and they were fined and not allowed back in the halls of residence.The area of our town with the most cases are where students have homes sadly!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Els - mincemeat is for all year in this house, not just for xmas :-)

Poppy - Mary Berry says that this one will keep for up to six months so no need to freeze. Unfortunately/fortunately this does mean that it will be instantly available to add to porridge or make into a toasted sandwich.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    evening all
    Ouch to that knee LMH!!
    Alehouse nice running 
    Chick lovely photos.  Unbelievable about  that 80 year old man, what a twit!!
    All this talk about Christmas and baking, can't believe being at home and I haven't made a cake.  I just can't be bothered if I am honest.  Just bought a new double oven though so who knows!! It is what being at home seems to have done to me, made me lazy

Poppy - glad you had a nice run
    What: solo run, 4.38 miles or 7k
    Why: fetch, run the sum, hazel will know
    last hard: that
    last rest: 31/12/16

OH has worked so hard and built us a lovely new fence at the back of the garden, doors next week and we'll feel so much better.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Get the ingredients in and get baking Wabo! Much easier to make the time to bake a Xmas cake when you’re wfh. You won’t regret it in a few weeks time.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    LMH - Sorry to hear about the continued knee woes, hope tomorrow is a better day
    Chick - lovely photos, but sorry to hear about work twats
    Ale - yes was shocking - barriers put up (unannounced) and controlling access. Not keen on the apparent free access that security are allowed either: they can enter any halls without warning. 
    As for the latest restrictions, well if today was anything to go by, the way to avoid the "one other person" rule is to be a dog walker. I used the country park, and the largest group was 4 women, about a dozen kids and 6 dogs. Maybe they all "bumped into" each other. Possibly so, but they managed to walk about 3/4 mile together (at least). Plenty of 3s and 4s too. Most runners together was 2. 
    The country lanes driving to Tesco were swarming with walkers too (but to be fair, only 2s or family groups).

What - 8x400m hill reps 
    Why - bright day, stretch the legs
    last rest - 10/10
    last hard - today
    lyric - not sure
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Busy on here today.

Chick what an idiot! Hope you weren't exposed at all.

Lmh ouch knee. Also, I am not a fan of any Christmas flavours!

Els lovely run by the sounds of it.

We went out yesterday and saw groups of 10-15. I have no idea what people think they're doing... 

What: 15 km to bakery this morning, walk to town
    Why: slightly extended as oh and Lucas were late which was good as I really wanted to get in 15! Needed some bits in town
    Last hard: sad news of a friend today who just lost his short battle with cancer
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely evening all
  • Evening

Hmm - mincemeat!  Good idea - will look around for a recipe as it is impossible to get suet here.  Never thought of putting any in porridge.  

Hope the knee is better tomorrow LMH and you can get your hands on your doctor soon (even if only via the telephone).  No fireworks here - don't know how many people would recognize the tradition.  

Jealous of the pics above - don't think anyone wants to look at some fog?  That sort of time of year here.  

Don't understand the attitude of some people Chicksta.  Well done on your relaxed attitude to the foot op.  Good luck with the running comeback.  Nice New Year's outing will give you something to aim for.  

Understand regarding the midday running Ale.  Nice run today.  Observing the same issues here with the rules.  

Nice pic Els.  Just looked up Marwick Head.  (useful thing the internet..).

Sounds like you are recovering well from your fall WP.

+1 to get baking Wabo - the fiddly bits are the decorating afterwards I find.  Haven't tried run the sum yet - I dabble on Conquercise and the Squares one.  Good news on the increased security with the fence.

Hill reps sound good Dustin.

Good running emzap - sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

What: winter training (3 of us). Warm-up exercices, hill running techniques - stretches.  
    Why:  Saturday
    Last hard: sorting out yet more stuff.  Think some of the boxes only ever get opened when we move.  
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • Run with Els and M this morning. Sunset swim this afternoon.
    Swim, run then yoga yesterday first group yoga session since March.
    Yoga although an easy session was hard.
    November's component of Pilar Bear Challenge now complete.

The gingerbread recipe I use is the standard Mary Berry one, LMH
  • the ocean's her oyster!