The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• So close, Harmander!
    Hobie, I'd hate every minute of that run, honestly!
    Two days off (walking and gym instead...may as well hit the gym while I still can) do had to run today. I knew it'd be rainy but I was expecting light rain. What I actually got was a thunderstorm. :s Soaked!
    Fortunately it stopped after a couple of miles but the damage was done. Never mind, 5 logged.

YTD: 1656
  • MrM2,  me a 'bad influence' - I love it lol.
    TT - it is taking longer because I am slower but I know what you mean - Next Sunday perhaps.
    Cal, yes, so close to being beaten up by the missus as I still went out running on her birthday - the Hong Kong Marathon jacket that I often wear has 'Run For A Reason' on it's back, if asked what the reason is I usually reply 'I am married' 
    Finished Court early yesterday as several defendants didn't show up so they were tried in their absence (shame really as I would much rather anyone accused to put up a defence/their perspective so justice is seen to be done) - meant I could still do 6.40 miles when I got home.

YTD = 1953.76 miles
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal sounds like the weather we had yesterday! Harmander I would always hope people would turn up to court, then again if it is a traffic offence and there is no defence I suppose it is quicker without them there? My OH has me out running on my birthday as well as his!

Cold but very bright, wonderful day for a run.

YTD: 1288.43
  • TT - Agree, but a trial only takes place if someone has pleaded not guilty in the first place. the HMCTS has had to rearrange trial dates and the respondents were suitably informed (the Bench always checks if this has been done) before proceeding  Some may change their plea at the last minute but the costs of arranging court time, witnesses etc has already been incurred.  The Bench usually reduces the court costs accordingly - a normal trial costs in a Magistrate's Court is about £645, a guilty plea at the outset is usually £85.  The totality principle is also applied after taking account of the means of the defendant. After nearly 28 years since appointment, I retain a strong faith in our legal system in getting it right and the means to correct the outcome when it doesn't.

Sorry if my message veers away from the core subject of running.
  • Harmander: I quite like a bit of drift on the thread, a peep into the lives of others is always interesting.

5 and 6.2 to log making 1176.7

Got my eye on 1400 which would have me 200 over the initial 100 per month I was hoping for. 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Waited for the wind to drop, today, then enjoyed a 6' mixed run. Boscombe Pier was still open so I included an out and back along the pier as the sun was setting. Brilliant.

YTD: 1933' .
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Evening all, and here we go again for lockdown no. 2, which is bad timing for me personally as the very low-key marathon I'd entered this weekend (which seemed sure to go ahead - the organiser has held several since August) has, of course, had to be cancelled! So, I'm planning to do something that I always said I wouldn't, and run my own virtual marathon - my training's gone pretty well, so I'd quite like to see what I can manage now. However, I think I'm going to struggle - lots of people have produced brilliant PBs during virtual lockdown races, but I'm definitely not one of them - I seem to need the adrenaline of a live race to run a proper 'race pace' for shorter distances, and I feel I've relied heavily on the big city atmosphere and support to get me round previous marathons. Still, we'll see - MrM2, I'm looking to you as my inspiration!

The weather's really been a bit ridiculous recently - am quite glad that it's hit during taper time for me. Good to see people approaching 2000 miles on here! I'm wondering if I might aim for 1500...

YTD 1308
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Can I ask that we all flag votrepaper18? They have posted spam on a few threads this morning!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Go Gipfel!! You can do it. Do you have any obvious routes? For my two in July I was able to start early (already light at 5:30). For the October marathon I started an hour before sunrise, so I stuck to well-lit paths for the first part. I found it helpful to have a route that passed the house three or four times; not to drop in but to swap bottles and even remove a layer. 

Lovely day, today, with only light winds, so enjoyed another seafront run. Another spectacular sunrise although I needed to look over my shoulder! So, a comfortable 12 miles.

YTD: 1945' .
  • I pd'd on my 5 mile course last night. 38.50. Woo hoo. Set off in a bit of a grump and kept going. Convinced I run quicker in the dark. Cold but otherwise almost prefect conditions. 

Ytd: 1181.7
  • You can do 1500, Gipfel! 2000 is looking shaky for me due to injury time outs but I guess we'll see.
    Donnie, well done - I am a minute per mile slower in the dark, on average (although if I run in the dark it's early morning and I'm more stiff, as well as more cautious due to not being able to see as well).
    MrM2 - I've changed routes on a run just to see a sunrise. Maybe run it the other way next time. :)

No sunrise today - it was very misty out. Chilly too - had to get my jacket out. Did 10 slow miles and explored a few new roads and paths, though mostly because the expected lighter traffic did not materialise and I diverted several times to avoid stopping at roads. I may end up sticking to running after 9 - I was out at 6.45 this morning and so I hit rush hour (rush hour seems to start at 7 here, sometimes earlier). The back streets are quiet but I always have to cross a few main roads on longer runs.

I forgot to post yesterday - did 6 then with some faster bits at the end - hamstring no worse than usual. Groin a bit niggly when I woke up and I'm not sure if that was from the run or the gym, but it didn't bother me on today's run, which is good.

YTD: 1672
  • 7 miles today - 2 warm-up, then a 5K time trial, then 2 to cool-down. I've lost quite a bit of speed and fitness since the summer - I'm a minute slower than what I'd consider a decent time and a minute and a half down on a good time. I've a lot of work to do. Hamstring grumbly but OK - didn't lock-up like it did at Dorney, so that's good.

YTD: 1679
  • Nice one Cal, you know pace will be back.
    13 miles of slip sliding on coast path for me today...was a stunning day.
    1271 miles YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Where's Harmander? Expecting him to come into view very soon, clicking his heels, as he celebrates 2000'.
    Cal... sorry to hear that you still have grumbly bits. Well done on getting it together for the 5k.

Have had two non-running days as we needed to get the house ready for viewings. (Selling up after 32 years!) Had our first two appointments today, and the second one resulted in an offer; 99% of the asking price. Resulted in me getting out later than I wanted to, for my run. So, a mixed 10 miles with the second half suffering from 'sun-down, slow down' syndrome. Otherwise Happy.

YTD: 1955' .
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Hobie, coastal path sounds so lovely, especially on a day like this - can't wait to get back to Wales one of these days!

Cal, glad the niggle was ok - I personally think a 5k time trial is very hard on one's own - I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have been faster in an actual event.

MrM2, I like you am fond of a seafront run, so I've decided on an out and back at my local-ish promenade (which is very long) - it also has the advantage of being flat, which my straight-out-the-door runs are definitely not, and it's not muddy/busy like the local canal path is currently. I'm just hoping it's not too windy, as a strong coastal headwind is almost certain to destroy my hoped-for pace! I do like the idea of running from the house and leaving layers/drinks there - it would definitely make things easier. It's felt very strange today, getting stuff ready for a marathon while still in my own house rather than being in a hotel somewhere - I love local races in general but have never run a local marathon, as I like to make a bit of an occasion of them!

Worryingly, my legs felt like lead on my 'easy 3' about 2 mins per mile slower than target marathon pace today. Hoping it was just psychological! 

YTD 1316
  • MrM2, that's brilliant news...the market is tough right now. My flat's been empty for 8 weeks and I've had to shop it out to other agencies.

Gipfel...yes and no...while it's definitely easier to run against other people, during the summer I did some good times around there on my own, including an unofficial PB. I think I have your lead legs, too.

I did 12 miles today and it felt like an awfully long way, despite the fact I was banging out 18s and 20s during the summer, with some very big hills on some of those routes. I didn't take that much time off with the hamstring so I'm a bit mystified as to why I've apparently lost so much fitness. Oh well...a 40 mile week so getting back to normal training again.

YTD: 1691
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Gipfel I do hope that marathon is going well, I am in awe.

MrMr2 that was quick! I gather the market is picking up pace but that really is quick, do you have somewhere to move too???

Cal I think doing time trials on your own is really hard, I always take the OH if I want to do speed work as he is far faster.
    Either that or the treadmill 😃

Warm but misty, lots and lots of runners and cyclists. Just been into town, lots of people queuing outside Gregg's, not the ones I saw running.

YTD: 1297.36
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Well done on getting into double figures again.    Closing in on the 1700'.
    TT... Busy here as well, this afternoon.   On the brink of 1300'.
    Regarding the house sale...the people who made the offer, yesterday, came back with the full asking price when the agent told them that there were other potential buyers, with appointments. The market here is very busy. 

Out this afternoon for a 12' seafront run. Intended running alternate Slow/Fast miles. It didn't turnout quite like that, but I'm happy to have come home in 2 hours.

YTD: 1967' .
  • MrM2, Thank you for the prompt - it is my kid brother's birthday today - he is 51 so had to wait till the old git went home before I could get my run in.

Am still waiting to hearing the contracts exchanged for the sale of our spare house - apparently the mortgage offer was approved to the buyers on Monday.  We would really not wish to pay another monthly mortgage payment or landlord insurance and Council Tax on an empty house if we could avoid it.

Back to running matters, since last posting, my runs were:

3/11 - 7.25
    4/11 - 7.25
    5/11 - 7.25
    6/11 - 7.25
    7/11 - 7.25
    8/11 - 13.77 

Total 50.02 miles

YTD = 2003.78 miles

2000 miles - yay

I don't think I will achieve the equivalent of 100 marathon distance this year but it has been a weird one for all and I have been injured for the most part.
  • TT - early congrats on the 1300 and Cal for 1700 (my grumbly bit is 'er Indoors).
  • Big congrats on the 2000, Harmander! 🎉
  • Gipfel: hope the solo marathon went well, genuinely looking forward to your next update. 

Mr MM: hope the house move is straight forward. I'm sure the process will be fine, leaving 30 years of memories would be my greatest challenge. 

Since signing in it's been three misty, damp, still and really enjoyable evening runs. A stillness seemed to have enveloped the town. 8, 6.2 and 6.4

Ytd: 1202.3
  • Congrats on the 1200 Donnie2.
  • Thank you Cal

Our (old/spare) house sale is still going through, the missus has already booked some viewings of other properties - I must be losing my touch in explaining that I am keen on having a comfortable stress free life at my age whereas SWMBO is looking to take on a (buy to let) mortgage on a bigger property - any tips on how to resolve this (other than to run away) would be greatly appreciated.

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander well done on the 2000! Congratulations Donnie2, I understand stillness, the world seems very still at the moment, but that might be because all the tractors are off the roads now.

Harmander I decided last year, after massive health issues, to look for a comfortable stress free life. It's made a huge difference to both our lives. I would recommend it.

Cold, foggy, wet run this morning. It's tough to see black dogs when the street lights are off but the fog hasn't lifted!!!

YTD 1307.86
  • All the best TT - Wifey tells me that I would experience no stress at all - as long as I do as I am told. Bless her.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Lots of congratulations are in order - Harmander on the 2000, MrM2 on the quick house sale (there's nothing worse than having a house on the market for ages and having to keep it spick and span for potential viewers - or maybe that's just me because I have lazy and messy tendencies)!

My marathon went really well yesterday - unbelievably, my average pace was the exact pace (to the second) that I'd trained for! It gave me an unofficial marathon PB of 3:50, which is more than 7 minutes quicker than my official one from 2018 - just a shame it wasn't in a real race. I was fairly lucky with the conditions - it wasn't blowing a gale on the seafront and was quite cool/drizzly without being really rainy - so I didn't overheat and suffer from the lack of water stations. I also made myself a good playlist to listen to, which definitely helped with the motivation - and actually, the whole thing seemed to go by quite quickly. There were lots of other runners out too, so I pretended they were doing the 'race' as well :D The daftest bit was running back and forth a bit at the end - I'd run out of promenade/sensible running pavement, but I didn't want to go too far back the way I'd come because the rain mixed with sand had made it really quite slippery on one section near the end, so I was reluctant to get back to that section again and just ran up and down the non-slippery bit to make the distance - there were people sitting on benches giving me strange looks! I think I was most pleased by the fact that I didn't start to fade around mile 19 and feel more and more on the 'struggle bus' for the rest of the distance after that, which is what usually happens to me - upping the mileage in training really helped. I'd definitely recommend the Hansons training plan, which I tried out for the first time.

I feel as if I'm wanting a proper race even more now! I'm going to be scouring the country for one as soon as this lockdown is over.

YTD 1343
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Gipfel... Huge congrats. on your marathon! Totally agree about the increased mileage benefits. Seems you nailed it!
    TT... Well done on passing 1300'.
    Donnie... Congrats on passing 1200'! You are right about 30 years of memories!
    Harmander... Well done on 'soldiering on' and passing the 2000', even with all your issues (physical and domestic!!!)

Rest day today, but after yesterday's run I noted that there were 53 days left in the year and I had another 53 miles to notch up to reach 2020' in 2020. (I've had one eye on that possibility for several months.)
    Such mild weather at the moment. Hope to get out for a short run tomorrow.
  • Some big totals getting racked up, well done all.
    Harmander, Big miles, well done.
    Gripfel, great marathon time, and nice mileage.
    TT, nice 1300.
    A lunchtime 5 miles for me, actually back in work for the first time in a couple of weeks.
    1282 miles YTD...what's a nice round number to aim for???
  • --- sidles into the thread --- *waves*

Hello old friends! So lovely to see so many familiar folks on here - and such amazing totals!!! :open_mouth:  Well done, everyone!

Must admit I haven't managed to read back through everything but it looks like everyone is making outstanding progress. I'm particularly impressed with your marathon report above and excellent PB, Gipfel.

Fab new photo of you, Cal - looking in top form... and a new pic for Dubai too, yet so many of you looking exactly the same - I'd recognise those round, red faces with yellow crosses for eyes anywhere (MrM2, Donnie, TT, Andrew... and others I'm sure I've missed!)  :lol: With Hobie and the inimitable Harmander wonderful ever-presents.

After a difficult year with excessive CBA and overwhelming volumes of work, you're ALL putting me to shame on the mileage front... but I'm aiming for a DIY ultra with a work friend when Lockdown 2 is finished - so I need to focus!

YTD: 959.08 mi.

(Apologies for all the name-checks I've missed - but I fear this post would turn into War and Peace if I followed the traditional... great to see the tradition continues with you all :smile:)