Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Is your resting HR up by much TR?
    Grim situation, hopefully you can look forward to a day when you are all healthy again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Wardi - only a couple of beats at max early in week , but that could be paranoia. It was normal today. Although to be fair i dont usually check it, im just trying to predict illness. Im usually around 50 (as a bit of a high beater), its been up to 55ish, but today was 50. Ive only checked it since weekend.....how much does illness push it up?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    TR - Good that you don't feel too ill and that your wife improving, sure your fitness will help you with this. Wise to take it easy for a short while and knock GW on the head.  
    SJ - That is swift, coming together very nicely for the marathon. 
    Wardi - I reckon its 3/1 if I get in, I wasn't lucky for the 2019 or 2020 races, so due some luck this time round. Will know by the weekend. 
    After a 6m drenching last night in the grey murke, wind and driving rain, dramatic opposite this morning, 6m beach run sun out, no clouds, totally blue sky, fantastic waves. 
  • TR - sounds as though you might have been one of the people that are mostly asymptomatic and would have been carrying on regardless. I really hope that you don't get any worse. The evidence seems to suggest that even people who don't have particularly bad symptoms can have long term effects (or as long as we know about given this has only been going on for a few months). I think it would be wise to be cautious and not put any extra strain on your body. An easy turbo to turn your legs over and stop you going stir crazy should be fine but nothing that raises your HR much. Glad to hear that the SPO is feeling better.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    OO - id take a rainy run atm.

LMH - thanks for the advice. I did some steady efforts at the weekend, but didnt push it hard, slight chest ache but more due to a few days back to leaning on the bars. Ill wear the gadget and monitor HR, i had a rough count when i rode easy on Tues and was only 120ish. I find it hard to get HR up on turbo anyway.

I just did 20min s and c and was ok. If i have a low RHR tomorrow then I'll do an easy turbo.

Ill sack GW off and then have 5 or 6 weeks to ease it bsck up, ready for 13 wks til Dorney starting 2nd Jan.
  • That sounds like a sensible approach TR. You've got my email.
  • SJ - Same here re glasses. On the worst days of rain I end up just carrying them in my hands which for some reason makes me feel a lot taller. Good session there. 3:30 is a tasty mid-session pace so not a great surprise you suffered a little after that.

TR - Like you say, not a major surprise. I'm more surprised when people in the same household manage to avoid it. Probably sensible to sack GW off as you say for a number of reasons, not least because it will take the pressure off you whilst you recover from Covid. I think i've had the 4%s for over a year now and haven't donned them once. My colleague who's 5k PB is 18:08 has just run a 17:37 in the next%s.

Feeling good this week so had a 50 min ride out as my plan gives me option of rest or cross-training. Tomorrow's session looks a little tasty.
  • Fingers crossed you escape with a mild dose of C19, TR. It's been many years since I trained to heart rate but from memory the elevation when unwell was maybe 5-10 BPM for rhr and rising more quickly when training so that my pace to effort ratio was 'wrong'.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Will do LMH

Joe - did you get them when we jumped on the black friday deals then ? Miggt be some Next% this time as theres a version 2 on the way.

Jools - thanks, 5 to 10 bpm would posdibly be me last weekend then, and i felt ok on turbo. I will check tomorrow when i wake up and then see.
  • TR - yes i think it was around that time. I get a 10% discount with Nike through work so I remember that shaving a nice chunk off as well. Think I picked them up for about £105. Budget next%s would be great.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I had a bizarre fever back in the summer; shivering & leg muscle spasms on a warm day, followed by sweating buckets and generally feeling crap - couldn't walk more than a few yards.  It lasted for 4 hrs - my usual RHR is circa 45bpm, at the peak of the fever it was 68.  After the 4 hrs I started to feel gradually better and RHR dropped back to normal in about 12 hours.  Basically the HR rises if your body is fighting something.  Good to hear the SPO is feeling better.

Joe.. I was out for a run on part of my old commute route yesterday.  It reminded me of having to pass through 'takeaway alley' on the outskirts of York.  On one side of the road 'Golden City' chinese + fish n' chips plus a Pizza outlet.  Almost opposite there are three next to each other - another Chinese, another Pizza outlet plus an Indian takeaway.  Torture on an evening run having to pass all the food aromas!

LMH.. did your knee injection show any improvement at all? 

SJ.. nice session, 1k reps are hard to hold onto

OO.. fingers crossed for you then.  Shame about the wetting yesterday!

Nice day here today if a bit breezy, 10.6m on the board.
  • I can walk wit discomfort rather than pain Wardi but that's about it I'm afraid. X-ray booked for Wednesday as a pre-cursor to being referred for an MRI.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Joe - keep yr eyes on nike website then.

LMH - you are obviously still having knee issues, an MRI might help diagnose it.

Wardi - not  surprised if you had a fever like that.

RHR was low again, so 60 mins turbo with HR nicely in 120s for a steady effort, id have had to worl hard to get HR up, so i guess thats a good sign.

Deferred my GW place, should be nice weather now on Dec 6th.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SPO is moving about under her own steam, and had a bowl of porridge today, and then even felt hungry later so had a banana. Happy days.

I updated the track and trace yday following my result, and it told me im allowed out from Thursday instead of Friday, woo hoo !
  • Good news about the SPO TR. HR should be about ten bpm lower on the bike than it is for the equivalent zone when running. MRI will be to rule out anything other than my degenerative knee issue causing the problem but I can't see it happening for some time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I dont take any notice of running HR, but 120s on rurbo rings a bell.

Hopefully the MRI can happen and helps with a diagnosis and a return path.
  • It would be nice if they found something fixable but unfortunately I think it's unlikely.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    TR - Really good news.  Agreed, Dec 6th will be truly glorious.
    LMH - It can suck being an active runner in your 50's. We enjoy and value it more but it can sure hurt!!
    Computer said no for the Mont Blanc marathon ballot, 7 applicants for every place, normally 3 or 4/1, lots of pent-up demand.   Consoled myself with a 10m @ 7.15 mm along the river Camel, amazing birdlife, where saw a fantastic murmuration of starlings. 
  • Wardi - Sounds like you only need to decide which food to have first!

OO - Having had years of rejection from the London marathon and ride london I feel your pain! Everything is popular these days. My friend's Dad has tried to get into western states every single year for 8 years I think and now gets the maximum number of entries into the ballot. Nice run, pace and bird sightings!

TR - Good to see you're keeping healthy and some improvements on the SPO front :)

9 miles today with 3x1k then 3x800m in the middle with ~60% rep time jog recovery. I wasn't sure exactly what pace I'd try to run the reps at but it turned out I could do 5 at pretty much bang on 3:20min/km pace and then faded badly in the 6th. Still good signs. Will enjoy my curry and espresso martini this evening.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bad luck OO, I think the London ballot is about a 1 in 18 chance now (it was about 1 in 3 when I first entered in the mid 90's!).  Hope you can find another event to look forward to.  Nice 10 miler BTW.
    Joe.. curry with a Martini cocktail is a new one on me.  I feel a right simpleton now with my bottles of Kingfisher. :)  Anyway a well earned treat after your fast session.
    LMH.. hope you get some sort of resolution/timeline, it must be so frustrating.  Some years ago a running chum up here had pain around the groin/lower stomach area which refused to go away.  Turned out he had a pelvic stress fracture!
    TR.. that's encouraging if the Mrs is mobile and has her appetite returning.  BTW my elevated 68 BPM RHR is apparently normal for a couch potato, I thought mine was going like the clappers!

The forecast rain never materialised so I enjoyed a steady 5.3m in the cold sun today.

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    TR - great news on SPO recovering and feeling hungry. Glad to hear you seem to be avoiding the main symptoms too. How's your lad doing? Great news on Dec 6th being a calm weather day. 

LMH - hope the MRI gives some kind of positive news despite your reservations. 

OO - sorry to hear you didnt get a place at Mont blanc. I guess we should be pleased more and more people are taking regular exercise. I'm surprised the humble marathon still has appeal as a lot of ultra/extreme events seem to be growing in popularity. 

Joe - pacey reps. Not sure my legs can go that fast. I was pretty much red lining at 3:30/km. 

Wardi - enjoy the kingfishers. I'm on the wagon trying to get down to fighting weight for Dec 6th. 

Last nights midweek hilly 24km felt comfy and tonight's 13km flew by as I progressed the pace down to 4:00/km by the end. Wore the Endorphin Speed's TR. Verdict is they are lightening fast to run fast in once up on your toes. They feel squishy and odd at slower paces and peculiar to walk around in. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - thats a shame. Tidy pace in that 10m.

Hope the curry was nice joe

Wardi - that pelvis issue sounds like mine

SJ - nice work, good that you liked the shoes mine are still boxed. They could become a mara shoe?

I had some more typical minor head cold symptoms overnight, but RHR was still low so another steady 60min turbo.

The good thing with not running is that my running niggles dont hurt. Im probably going to keep a turbo or 2 a week going fwd and use them to do my quality work.
  • TR - not sure. I think I'll chance a mid long run ~20km to see how they feel. A bit of tightness in left Achilles and hamstring during 10km today on the treadie. Could just be cumulative volume. 

Good that you can keep active indoors. I think using the treadie will become a staple going forwards for me. Its convenient in the winter and I believe it is less stress whilst still being able to achieve desired performance. I really cant see the harm in mixing it up a little whilst being kinder to my body. 

Early night tonight, time on feet tomorrow, maybe 2:45 if I can hack the forecast wind and rain. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - yes, id defo want to do a long mp run in a pair first, even a 1/2 mara, but not much chance of that at the mo. If the treadie allows you to train more and you enjoy it then thats ideal......if i sack off 2 easy run days and turbo instead inc efforts then im better off aerobically and less niggle pain too.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. hope the conditions aren't too bad for you tomorrow - over here it looks less windy than today.  FWIW I also find that aches & strains start to show near the last peak of marathon training.

TR.. one of the girls I know caught covid recently.  She is fairly fit so despite being a bit poorly for a week she's over it now and alllowed out soon.  The one lingering effect is her breathing (says it's like being at altitude) which she thinks will take a bit longer to clear.  Good that you can persevere with the turbo.

Got out this morning before the wind speed picked up too much, rain held off which was a blessing.  11.3m done, wind close to 20mph this afternoon so glad I got it done.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - ive not felt that yet, but the spo is puffing like a steam train moving round the house, i had very slight tight chest after turbo but i have symptoms paranoia at times.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Wardi- i reckon that at altitude comment describes the spo well.

Another 60min here, had to actually work at keeping the HR down today as i wanted to keep it under 130,  but mid 120s seems familiar for easy stuff and i defo had the desire to give it some welly today - but never. Today was av 125, yday 112 fri 117.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    SJ - Don't overdo it now, 3-4 weeks out from a mara is a bit of a danger time for injuries for as you say the accumulated running volume.
    TR - Great to see your feeling well enough to keep active.  
    Joe - Wow, that is a sharp session and great speed for those Km. 8 times rejected, did he ever end up running the Western States? 
    Wardi - Good picking of weather windows.
    FB tells me I ran the Tenerife marathon in a very sunny 32C 5 years today, so what better way to celebrate than get soaked and blasted by an icy wind on a 10m run to Padstow!  8m yday with a 4m tempo @ 25.02. 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    TR - as OO says good that you can keep up some exercise and having some numbers would help keep me focused so hopefully helps you too?

OO - I feared the worse today with the forecast but I think you've copped for it along that west coastline. Fair play for toughing out today's 10 and keeping some sharpness with the tempo miles yesterday. 

Got to my park to do my laps at 8am with grey clouds above. First lap done and noticed how quiet the park was (a very good thing). Absolutely soaked on second lap and noted the wind from the west which is along my long hill section (not so good) and the faster downhill section (oh well). From the third lap blue skies appeared and I never saw rain again. The wind obviously wasn't that bad either as that didn't seem to bother me too much. 

The park got a bit more crowded but not too bad. 38km in 2.56. Hips a tad sore on last couple of hills (569m climbing in total) but hammy felt ok. 

After a brief loss of focus when I thought it was getting hard (it probably was) I controlled it and picked the pace up to finish well. 

Adjusted my lap route to be 4.2km same as Oulton Park circuit. I think you mentioned counting laps was a lot easier TR. It certainly is. I found it quite helpful today and barely noticed the km's adding up. Before I knew it I was at 29km!! 

Almost cotton wool time. I can definitely feel the fatigue building so will be cautious from here on in. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well run OO thats a pacey 4m effort in there

Crackin run 3 wks out SJ, you are in a good place. Yes, the benefit of these multilapped events is counting the laps not the miles or kms. At least i don't get rained on sat in the garage.

3 more turbo days til im allowed out.