My Last Run

Comments

• Not too sure that the traffic has lessened at all since the second lockdown started, john. Certainly not round here. I think back in April and May it was very noticeable, but then we've not really been going to places like Devil's Dyke recently to see if it's as quiet there as it was back then.

The mugs did look very good, Cal. I might put that one on the list to do. Shame about the sleep. I'm the same at the moment, seem to be waking up early and then never fully getting back to sleep. Good lunchtime running and well done for forcing yourself out.

Good luck with the decorating MM. It is exciting seeing how things are taking shape, although the kitchen and bathroom always strike me as being the biggest and most technical bits. Not that I have experience in either. I would be able to mess up putting woodchip. Good luck in the watch and runners search. Are sports shops open?

Have to say I'd be a bit worried about someone shooting near me if I was out running, Hazelnut. Presumably the cull means there's a lot of venison available? Great interval session, must try that one. 2 X 1200 sounds like quite a challenge.

Did a 30 min interval yesterday. We had planned to go out on Thursday evening and I'd changed ready to go, but the look on my partner's face when she got home suggested she wasn't keen, so I said I'd do something in the morning. I had my first meeting at 11am so decided I'd do an hour's work and go at about 8am. However an item on the news suggested there was a fire near where she worked and roads were blocked. I offered to take her in as she'd have struggled to park and as it turned out the fire was in a bar underneath her company's office!! Fortunately no fire damage to the office, but it is apparently quite damp and smells of smoke and she now has to work from home for the next week. So I didn't actually get out until 9am and headed to Hove Park which was quite crowded. The speed intervals annoyingly seemed to coincide with going up the hill, but I figured that was going to help in the long run.

Off out shortly for a 10K, just trying to decide where.
  • Hope it went well, GD. Yeah, old bod did not want to do five days in a row so I've had a walk today and hope I feel better tomorrow. It seems three days in a row is my limit as far as recovery is concerned.
  • Rest day yesterday (if you call walking 8 miles a rest day) did me some good. Even with another split night (more reading and tea in the small hours) I felt fine when I woke up. I did, however, wait until 9 to go out as it was raining heavily before then. Once I did venture out it was mostly dry with a touch of light rain/drizzle at times, and some gusty winds. The main problem was the absolutely enormous puddles. I avoided them for the mostpart, until I tried to cut through Wandle Park and saw the path I usually take was completely submerged. I set out on the other path but then saw that was also submerged a bit further along so I hastily backtracked and went around via the roads.
    I did 10 miles total - I wasn't sure how far I'd run today as I'd figured somewhere between 8 and 13. I ended up opting for 10 as that would give me a 10% bump on last week's mileage and would leave me fresh enough to run tomorrow should I so wish. Typically, the sun came out once I'd finished my run. Oh well.
  • That is tough with the interrrupted nights Cal - any idea why it is happening?  Nice 10+ sandwich with a decent bit of walking in the middle too.  Puddles are a pain - don't always know what is lurking in them and shoes can take a while to dry out.

Traffic might be heavier because of less people using public transport GD?  The recommendation here is to wfh wherever possible but the roads seem busier than ever in rush hour.  Lucky for your partner not to be in the office when the fire happened!  Hope you found a nice route for your 10k.  Some venison to be had yes - some restaurants feature game on the menu at this time of year.  Stag / roe deer - the former are sometimes farmed, the latter only wild.

Saturday was a meet-up with 2 other runners for a coaching session - concentrating on different levels of perceived effort on a 1-5 scala. We worked on 2-4 on an undulating round with a couple of stops for some exercices and instructions.  The 4 efforts often coincided with an uphill bit so pace not fast.  Warm in the sun but chilly in the shaded woods.

Similar conditions today - I set out with thoughts of a fairly easy 10 miler but ran faster than intended with the last quarter at around mara pace (but higher effort due to the undulations).   Cut-back week in terms of running mileage so no longer run today.  Backed that up with a 20 mile mtb trundle however - with it getting chillier I won't be out too much on the bike now so took the opportunity today.
  • Not sure Hazel...I go through phases of it.
    Good session there - good idea to get your biking in while you can.
  • Is there anything particular on your mind, Cal, that might mean you're struggling with sleep? That's what tends to happen with me and it is rather annoying. Well done on getting out yesterday. It was truly awful down here.

Could well be that people are driving more and not using public transport, Hazelnut. We're on a bus route here and rarely see anyone on it when it goes past. And it was lucky she wasn't in there at the time. They've had a few issues with the alarm going off and I think there's been occasions when they've ignored it as it's been a false alarm. Good coaching session and well done on the 10 miler yesterday. Hopefully you'll still get a few more spins on the bike.

10K on Saturday was a re-visit of one of our 'bubble run' routes from the summer. We started at the Red Lion in Shoreham, running along the path by the Adur towards the seafront and then crossing over the bridge and running through the residential area towards the seafront, looping round and taking the wooden boardwalk on the beach, passing the rather nice houses that are there. The wind never seemed to be in our favour, but the run itself was more enjoyable than the recent ones round Hove Park.

Had planned a 12 miler yesterday along the seafront. However when I got up to make coffee and breakfast the wind was howling and the rain was battering against the windows. Looking out it seemed the rain was horizontal. So decided that we'd give it a miss and watch the Grand Prix instead.
  • Having run many, many 10Ks in my life, I did my first one in probably a year yesterday. I was slow, but I enjoyed it and my legs ache in muscles that I didn't know I had. Same again next Sunday, with a couple of shorter ones inbetween if I can get out of work in time!
  • Welcome to the forum Matt - well done on your 10k.  Sounds like a good plan and enjoying it more important than speed.  Hope you keep getting out there.

Nice seafront outing GD, don't envy you with the wind though.  Good idea to drop the long run and stay in if the conditions were that nasty.

I normally do a recovery run on Monday but am just finishing off a training plan which I have been doing out of sheer boredom.  I found a 7 miler scheduled with a bit of race-pace practice so a warm-up with 4 x strides then 1200m @ around 10k pace and a cool-down.  The 1200 were almost two loops of a field, half on tarmac the other on a normally firm track.  Due to ploughing activities and rain there was a thin coating of gloop on the top so I had to be a bit careful not slip.  The corners were okay though.  Tights were liberally splattered with mud afterwards.  Don't know if I will have another go at a solo time trial in place of a race towards the end of the week - we will see.  Probably 5 miles if I do.
  • Welcome Matt. It does get easier, the muscle ache less and as Hazelnut says better to enjoy it than to obsess too much about the speed.

Good job the corners weren't gloopy, Hazelnut. If you were picking up speed you my have struggled to keep yourself on the track. Still think the solo TTs are mentally so hard to do, so all power to you if you manage one.

Up early for a 5 miler along the seafront, starting in Hove and heading in to the wind towards Southwick. Decided to go in the morning as partner is stuck working from home for the foreseeable future as they attempt to sort out the office issue and we figured we'd find excuses not to go if we left it until later. Rather wild out there. The tide was out, but with the amount of debris thrown on to the prom it must have been quite a sight at high tide. Certainly the chap that was sweeping the pebbles up was doing a sterling job. 24 mins out and 21 mins back demonstrated the strength of the wind, so nice to have it at our backs on the return.

Had to get back for a meeting by 8:30, so a quick turnaround for a shower and breakfast. Meeting was about putting together a plan for the coming phase of one of my projects, with the guy wanting to utilise a plan he'd received from another project. When I pointed out I'd already supplied a plan there was a moments silence, then "You want to use your one?" "Well yes!" At least it was a quick meeting.
  • GD...yeah, I think it's possibly due to the problem with my rental flat. It's been empty for two months and while I've just secured a new tenant, it's at a much lower rate than before. I was just about scraping by on the old rent. The obvious thing would be to find some sort of part time work to bump up the income, but after not working for five years, I don't think I'll have much luck in the current job market.
    I guess pebbles could be a problem. I'm having to avoid a lot of nasty slippery leaf mulch at the moment - nearly came a-cropper today but just about stayed upright.

Welcome matt!

Good stuff, Hazlenut...yeah, we all seem to be dealing with slip hazards eh?

Sleep is still poor but the rest day yesterday meant I had energy for a faster run today. I did 8 miles, with the first five easy/steady and then the last three fartlek-style. I was very happy to beat my PB on the road behind my house at the end of the run (I must admit I really enjoy the segments aspect of Strava).
  • Nice early running GD.  If you are wfh and not using video conference you could always do it in your running clothes..

Glad to hear you have a new tenant but tricky situation with the lower rent Cal.  Can imagine it wouldn't be easy at the moment to find a new job.  I could do with changing myself but with things as they are I'd better stay put for now.

Strava segments do provide a bit of fun.  I own a few crowns around here (not much competition) and it always annoys me when someone does stroll onto my patch and nick one.  I will be moving soon and will hopefully find a few new segments or will set up a few of my own.

"Group" run yesterday evening - just two of us out in clear conditions after last week's fog.  Chatting pace all the way around.  6.x miles in 1.04
  • Hazelnut - I have a couple of crowns on some very obscure segments. It still surprises me how many roads in London don't have segments - I'll always create one when that happens (usually with an amusing name if I can think of one).
    Where are you moving to?

Had a better sleep last night (only woke up twice, and was able to return to sleep both times) but felt worse on waking...typical. Same low level crappy feeling I've been dealing with off and on. I did get myself out for a 6 miler at 9am - was supposed to be recovery pace but, despite the groggy feeling, I had a hard time slowing myself down. I only managed mile 5 at recovery pace, after deliberately slowing down after mile 4 was sub-10. Felt easy enough though, so there's that.
    I use the desktop version of Strava and local legends has only just been introduced on that so my route today was a boring one aimed at reclaiming the legend I lost this week. I'll have a longer, more interesting run tomorrow.
  • Oh no! wrote an absolute essay of a post commenting on everyone's running, posted it and discovered it had a spelling mistake, immediately edited it and it disappeared!  This has happened before, it must be an anti-spam thing..?

But well done all!

Four runs to report since my half a "sore 4", two brisk 5's and a 8.5 with 7.5 miles at 8.40s.

Such a busy week, injury improving! have a great week all.  something to aim at now..  Half marathon 6th December, 10 mile 20th December and 27th December.

• Frustrating, Linton, but never mind eh? Which half are you doing? I'm tempted to have another bash at the Velopark 10 on the 27th...that's assuming we're not allowed to go anywhere for Christmas. I usually spend it with my mate in Manchester but since he's not family (I don't have any) I don't think it'll be covered by whatever rules are in place.

11 miles for me - down to Tooting, along to Figges Marsh then up to Streatham where I had another go at the horrible Hill Path (I didn't push, just wanted to see how the hamstring handled it) and back via Tooting Common. Rained during the last couple of miles - it was fine but very wet and quite cold. I felt OK though - no major pains although my left knee had a little twinge. Nothing to worry about I think, though.
  • I'm moving about 10 miles down or rather up the road.  My landlady has decided she needs the flat for her own use.  Not much on the market which is suitable for two kitties and two people wfh and halfway quiet.  And of course with access to decent running routes..  If you are not planning some serious speedwork the next day or have a race imminent (obviously not at the moment) I wouldn't worry too much about the recovery pace and go by perceived effort.  I don't seem to have the local legend feature somehow - or it would surprise me on one or two segments that I don't own that.  Hope that things work out for you for Christmas.  Knee okay in the meantime? 

Annoying indeed LTT (did you look in drafts?) - for long posts use a text editor and copy/paste them to avoid loss.  Good your injury is improving.  Busy December plan - don't eat too much over Christmas for that second 10 miler! 

4.2 mile recovery run on Wednesday with a few strides - also struggled to keep the pace down - 8:57 overall but that was due to a slow km with the strides in with the gentle recovery jogs in between.

Yesterday another go at a fast 5k - got round this time in a pleasing 21:03 for the 5k with consistent splits.  According to Fetch I have only done 2-3 faster in a race situation (though the races themselves were over longer distances, so the fastest 5k in those).  A pretty tight corner with a slimy muddy puddle and quite a lot of walking traffic probably cost me a sub 21.  Legs were ok - the lungs were not so amused.  Might have another go in a couple of weeks.  Good for my confidence to get a decent benchmark in.  Just short of a 75% WAVA too.
  • Hopefully with at least getting some income coming in that's eased situations to a degree and gives you time to consider your options, Cal. I can well understand that the current situation means that jobs aren't easy to find, but you never know. Perhaps there's one in a running shop that would be perfect for you.

Very annoying losing all your effort, LTT. I tend to just go with the spelling mistakes on the basis they might make more sense than what I normally type. Glad to hear the injury is improving.

Fantastic 5K, Hazelnut, although how annoying is it to be so close to sub 21? Hopefully the move goes well. Did your landlady give you a decent amount of notice as to when she'd want you out?

Got my second parking ticket in two weeks on Wednesday evening. Work was so manic I didn't get the chance to do the roast vegetables so we decided on fish 'n chips. Drove to the place I normally get them from, parked where I normally park and nipped in to the shop. I wasn't more than 10 mins and came out to find I had a ticket. Apparently it's restricted until 8pm and this was 7:35pm. Another 35 quid, arrghhhh. At this rate it would be cheaper to get it delivered.

10K yesterday morning, again starting in Hove and running towards Southwick. As there was no 8:30 meeting we put in the extra distance and it felt a lot easier as the breeze wasn't as strong. However we did notice the smell more as we ran past the water treatment works.

Back is a bit sore today as I had to take some garden waste to the dump. Unfortunately I slipped on a step coming back down (having lugged heavy bins up the steps) and jarred my back. Fingers crossed it eases tomorrow as I only went to the osteopath yesterday.
  • Hello all!

An easy 5 in the rain and dark. I dislike running after work in the winter, but that's life.  The sunday long run is always a joy as there is daylight.  With the town bridge shut I'm still essentially marooned, and it's all badly lit streets and wet leaves. No dog attacks this week so that's a plus.  My secret Santa last year was a LED encrusted (running?) vest, with flashing setting, that would make me look like a running Christmas tree.  Maybe I should try it?

I've constructed a marathon training plan! That sits ominously on the fridge, but am unsure whether to bother really. Who knows what spring will look like, running wise. Those big runs are an undertaking for sure.

That's annoying about the ticket GD. Hope the back improves. Glad you got a 10k in.  You never forget the tangy smell of treated sewage!

That's a great solo 5k Hazlenut, hard to do on your own! I miss parkrun, as do many. I 'm going to do a timed mile! Just because I never have. I want a 5:xx, but who knows, reckon it 'll be close. Glad you found somewhere to move, our old cat is poorly this week after a funny turn.  Yesterday she had bloods and is having an ECG next week. She seems Ok now but I'm really worried.

Glad you had a good 11 miler Cal, hope you get your post Christmas 10 in. My half is Marden. There's a 10k on at the same time/place and am considering doing that as A) I'm not in fast half marathon shape B) It would be better practice for my two 10's C) both of my recent 10ks wern 't great (too hot/moonsoon).

Home alone tonight so watching Men's Olympic marathon 2016 with a glass of wine and a lamb kebab, fantastic.

• That's a great 5K Hazelnut, especially with the stress of moving.

GD, sorry about the parking ticket and the sore back - let's hope the latter is short-term.

Linton, fingers crossed for your kitty. I dislike running in the dark too, but it becomes more enjoyable when the Christmas lights are up. I've half a mind to do a very early morning run up to the West End at some point, so I can take in the Regent Street angels.

Had a bash at a 5K today...and it wasn't great. I wasn't full of enthusiasm before I left the house and it took me a while to work out all my sore bits with the roller and ball. (On that note, I've started to think that half of my niggles - the QL, the right groin etc - are caused by me sleeping on my left side. Problem is it feels unnatural to sleep on my right or on my back, so the only other option is my front which often leaves me with a stiff neck). Not sure what to do about that.
    Anyway, I did three miles to warm up. I often do too but the first two were slow so I felt like I needed another.
    I did the 5K itself in 26:34 which is pretty bad, considering it was flat. I know my sleep's not been good and I've had the hamstring problem but I'm still rather disappointed as I managed to bang out several sub-25s during the summer.
    Did another mile to cool-down and left it at that.
  • Arrgh that's annoying regarding the parking ticket GD - expensive fish 'n chips (jealous..).  Gardening is dangerous cross-training.  Hope the back was just a temporary twinge.  Notice for flat moving is minimum 3 months here.  Water treatment works do pong a bit.  

Only a month to go till the shortest day at least LTT.  That was a good secret santa from last year.  It is hard to decide regarding marathons at the moment.  I am also tempted to get stuck into a plan but like you the very long runs put me off.  A mile TT sounds very tough, I don't like fast running (5k and below pace) so I think I will pass on the that.  Good luck if you do give it a go.  Hope your kitty is ok, sounds like it might get a bit expensive too.  

Good point regarding the Xmas lights Cal.  Some people have started putting up some lights here - does make it more cheerful in the evening.  Might be hard to switch your sleeping position - is your mattress / bed generally ok?  Maybe have a look at some speedwork to build up to a faster 5k?  Be careful with those niggles though.

Recovery on Friday - 5.3 miles at a 9:04 average so where I was supposed to be.

Yesterday 6.7 miles at a 8:33 average around the local woods and fields.  Pretty nippy in the shade - spotted a few puddles with a thin crust of ice.  For the nice weather surprisingly few people around.  Route was basically down the hill and then back up.  The back up has a Strava segment which I set up myself and as I was feeling reasonably good I decided to try to improve my own record on it and was successful.  2.1 k with 59m of climbing in two sections in 11:07. 
  • A rare drop-in to the thread from me but a quick perusal of some of the posts I've missed indicates that some very decent training sessions have been logged by you regulars. I managed a 6 miler is 47.50 today, a relatively decent time for me explained by an absence of wind along the prom. (G'dog for one will appreciate the difference this makes down here on the coast.)
  • Yeah I'm adding some speed in, Hazel - did some on Tuesday. Need to be careful not to stir up any niggles, though.
    We've not had ice yet, just slippery wet leaves (and mud). Well done on the Strava PR.
    Nice run, John - wind (or lack thereof) makes a lot of difference.

I wanted to run a half today and it was a toss-up between heading for Crystal Palace with a few hills, or a flatter run along the river. Being the masochist that I am, I opted for the former.
    I did my usual route up to Streatham and on to Dulwich, but opted to bypass Hell Hill in favour of Rock Hill further along. If Hell Hills is long and hard like John Holmes, Rock Hill is short and brutal like Bob Hoskins. I did accidentally turn off to soon and found myself in a cul-de-sac, so had to backtrack, but I got to Rock Hill after that and slogged up it. It's extremely steep - 19.3% at the steepest point, so I was breathing pretty hard when I got to the top.
    I usually turn right after that to go to Crystal Palace Park, but I wanted to check out Sydenham Wells Park this time which is nearby. I knew which road to take but wasn't sure of the turning, so I followed a sign for the Green Chain (which you'd think would take you through a park) and found myself on a steep, muddy downhill through some trees that I ended up walking as I didn't fancy falling on my arse. Alas, this did not bring me into the park, but into the back of a housing estate. I managed to find my way through and was able to access the park from the other side, so did a quick circuit (it was pleasant enough) before working my way back to Crystal Palace Park. I just cut through rather than doing a circuit, via the dinosaur lake, and then made my way to the notorious Fox Hill (apparently London's steepest residential road). Slogged up there - it's steep but I think Rock Hill is worse, actually - then down through another park, alongside a rec and then down Streatham Common and from there to home.
    It was a slow old run - it took me 2:23 - but I got it done. Hamstring held up but post tib is a little grouchy (don't think it likes downhills) and I had a weird twinge in my outer left quad which I think is also due to the downhills.
    I've had an Epsom Salt bath so hopefully these aches will be temporary, especially after a rest day tomorrow.
  • I had good run today! Really pleased.

Today would have been the day of my 10 mile race, which is obviously cancelled.  Although my right ankle is not great the training for this run has actually gone OK (for me) with three runs a week including a long run in the 8-13 range every week.

The weather forecast was good today with minimal wind and 11 degrees, so pretty perfect for running really.  I thought why not do a time trial instead! The last 2 races I've done have really been individual time trials against the clock, so not that different really. Using map tools I worked out a very accurate 5 mile out and back course up and down the sea front at Deal (so I could hide a bottle to get after one loop).  Admittedly this is flat! but it also has lots of interesting stuff to look at, has no uneven, leafy cobbled pavements, roads to cross and level crossings to get stuck at, like the rest of my runs.

I had a decent warm up and was off!  I'd made a mental note of mile markers.  My 10 mile PB is 1:29:47.  So not particularly great really.  I knew if I could run a bit under 9 mins x 10 I could improve my PB.  It was a tough old run as I've done 12 days at work on the bounce and did feel knackered and heavy legged, and even sick at one point, but every mile passed I was under pace.
    Got my hidden bottle for the second lap and tried to run with decent form (I definitely run better now I've ditched the music). 10 miles exactly 1:25:31! A huge PB.  Hardly sensational, but a big step in the right direction for me. My two 10's are late December, so still a little time to improve maybe. If I could learn to hold that over a half I'd be 1:51, which would be great.  Ankle sore but fingers crossed for tomorrow.  Limpy mondays at work could be in full swing tomorrow.

That is a great run Cal! A half is a half, still along way in my book. Sounds a fair bit more challenging than my run.

As a kid I would spend time in the summer holidays with my Gran at Forest Hill, near Dulwich I think? She lived right at the top, bloody steep. We would go to the Horniman museum many days. Loved it as a kid.  Spent the rest with my Nan in Peckham Rye where she would take me on the bus to Crystal Palace park, awkwardly loaded with fishing tackle and sit with me patiently while I caught sod all.  Bless her. Hope the niggles improve.

Nice run there John B, yes, with many of the races here in Kent along the coastal promenades the wind has ruined many a PB, and even seen races diverted inland.  With our prevailing S/SW winds I can imagine it gets bumpy.

Great running Hazlenut.  I may have to join the Strava club. Surprisingly only two frosts here so far.  I wonder what sort of winter we'll have.

Stay safe all! 

• That's a great run, Linton! I've nowhere hit my potential over 10 miles - PB is 1:28.something but I've run faster than that during a few halves. In theory I should be able to do a 1:25 but the problem is a lack of 10 mile races - most of those I've done have been in summer, and of course the last one was windy and undulating.

I grew up half-way between Peckham and Camberwell (my road was the last one in Camberwell before the postcode changed to Peckham) so those were my childhood haunts too. I loved Hornimans - such an interesting museum with the aquarium and tribal masks and that amazing clock. I keep meaning to go back for a look around. I've run past it a few times this year (there is a killer hill not far away - Canonbie Road, which has an 18% section - so of course I had to go and run in).
  • That's a great 10 mile PB, LTT, congratulations for taking so much off. Tough to get out and do an individual time trial, especially if you'd been working for 12 days solid. As you say the evening runs aren't great. We've switched to going early in the morning to at least get the benefit of it getting lighter rather than darker.

Great HM distance, Cal. Sounds as if you set yourself a really tough route. Given the choice of the two I would probably have gone for the flat one. And I have to say I think that's the first time I've read a John Holmes reference in relation to a run  :open_mouth: 

Nice running, Hazelnut. Sounds as if it's turning a bit colder there. Careful on those icy puddles, don't went to slip on those.

That is a nice 6 mile time, john. I'd be happy to get under 50 mins. And you and LTT are absolutely right with the weather yesterday. I mentioned to my partner as we drove to Saltdean that the weather seemed absolutely perfect for a run along the seafront. Although that would have normally meant a complete change and us facing a gale.

An easy 6.5 miler along the Adur on Saturday morning. Well supposedly an easy one as I was trying to run to perceived effort and at the turn at Botolphs realised we'd run the first part at HM pace. Not sure I pleased her when I said I rated it as a 5 or 6 in terms of PE, especially as she said she struggled. So we took it easier on the way back. Quite a few runners out doing what looked to be a time trial themselves. The back felt a bit stiff first thing, but did some rolling and stretching and all seemed good.

Discussion on the drive back as to why she felt she struggled came with her not liking running someone else's pace, so it was decided the next day that she could set the pace. So off to Saltdean for a 12 mile out and back along the undercliff, Brighton prom (touch on Ovett's foot) and into Hove. There was the slightest of breezes which meant we kept relatively cool, but I had to take my outer top off at the turn. In terms of a long slow run we tried to keep the pace easy, but each mile was sub 9 and as we hit the last quarter we stepped up the pace covering the last 5K in 25 mins, which we were quite pleased with, and the 12 miles was covered in 1:44. Definite sub 1:55 HM if we'd carried on, but we wouldn't have to do much more to target sub 1:50. I have to admit when she upped the pace it did cross my mind to let her go and keep to the pace we'd been running, but I quite fancied seeing what was left in the tank and it was useful to get an idea just in case Goodwood goes ahead in two weeks time. We're still waiting to hear.
  • Fingers crossed for you, GD. The lockdown lifting does sound fairly promising for sports.
  • Got behind again due to a mad couple of days at work (chasing money around various virtual places which doesn't belong to me).

Keep dropping in JB - nice 6 miler!

Great hilly half at the weekend Cal - I tend to think London is flat.  19% is hardcore.  10 miles does seem to be a rare distance - shame really.  I only have / had my local one which is a bit of a toughie so that I also have a slower 10 mile PB than in my HM races.

And a great 10 miler from your LTT - like the report too.  That is a decent chunk off over that distance and likely more possible if you didn't have a good few days beforehand.  The step up to a HM isn't too huge that you shouldn't be able to target that 1:51.

Definitely fingers crossed GD,   if it doesn't happen then time trial an HM? 

Another fields and woods outing on Sunday with 11.3 miles in 1:43.  Put in some 350m of upping and downing and was tired by the end of it.  With moving soon I am starting to say goodbye to some places I run in.  Looking forward to some new routes though.

Recovery 4 and a bit yesterday afternoon - really need the fresh air and switch off the head before plunging back into diverse mails and telcos until late evening.  Looks like we are sorted now fortunately.

• This middle of London is flat, Hazel....but it is basically a valley so the north and south are hilly. I'm definitely not short of choice if I want to flog myself up a steep one.
    That's a nice 11 miler there - I must say I'd be rather sad to say goodbye to my routes if ever I moved away, but it must also be exciting to find some new runs. Glad you got all your stuff sorted.

7 easy miles today. Hammy was twingey yesterday and this morning, just above the knee. I think that particular twinge might actually be the gastroc tendon as the calf is rather tight. The high ham ache is no worse than usual (ie, I don't notice it when I'm sitting - when it's bad, sitting at my desk is very uncomfortable). I had a pretty thorough roll before I went out and didn't notice it during the run, so I'm not going to worry about it. I suspect doing a fast run followed by a hilly run wasn't my smartest move, so I'll be avoiding doing that again for a bit.
  • Fast followed by hilly is tough I agree.  Do you keep an eye on how you sit?  A good wiggle around every now and then?

Group run yesterday evening with a couple of solo miles warm-up to clear my head after a second tough working day so that I would be feeling sufficiently sociable for a bit of chat.  3 of us out and none of the non-stop chatting types anyway.  Bit cold setting out and a bit of fog but nothing unusual for the time of year. 8.4 miles at a gentle 9:33 average.
  • I try to - if I'm playing a game I remind myself to stand up and move a little whenever there's a loading screen.
    Wednesday is usually a run day for me, and usually a medium long at that...but I just don't feel good today. I couldn't get myself motivated this morning and it took me until after 11 to go shopping (which I had to do as I had no fruit or veg left). I did have another dodgy night with me waking up multiple times, so I suspect that may be behind it. I guess my hamstring won't mind the extra rest, but I'm also mindful of the fact that I need to be cranking out 43 miles a week to make my 2000 mile target.
    I have, however, entered the Olympic Park half marathon in four week's time. I'm not in race shape but I can't pass up the chance to do a half.

• Oooo - a potential race to look forward to.  No prospect of racing restarting here for the foreseeable future at all.  I expect 2021 to be a write-off as well.  Even if measures are reduced sufficiently to allow smaller events to go ahead I don't see many organizers having the courage to try and set one up as the odds of things getting cancelled again are high. 

Rare lunch outing yesterday - don't normally do that as I don't like running feeling hungry but needed to collect the keys to my new flat in the afternoon at my normal running time.  6.4 miles in 53:27.  Murky grey sort of day, more of those coming up (thick fog at the moment).