Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: during a client call this week, his cat decided to make their presence known and jump in front of the camera demanding fuss. It wouldn't go throughout the entire call 😂 

I'm on a "professional action" to reduce all meetings by 50% and remove at least 1 unnecessary participant as they can really be a waste of time. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's good re your club discounts.   Running shops have given discount, usually 10%, to running clubs since I started running, not usually transferred to online sales unfortunately.   But we always had some running ID to show we were in a club, I've never had the discount refused except on sales items that already had a big chunk off the RRP.
    Unfortunately, now I'm looking for Brooks shoes I can't use Sportsshoes as they don't stock Brooks.  Nor do Wiggle, so less suppliers to find competitive prices.

Emmy - good for you sticking to the 5k training.   Back to marathon training after the 5k I guess?

You sound like you are the 'hit squad' of company meetings.

€100 is a fair price, don't think you'll get much opportunity to buy cheaper.  A lot of suppliers here have sold out too.   I got the last pair at £84 from Amazon, now they can only offer £103+£15 carriage  :o   I am not keen on using Amazon especially for running shoes.  I think the pair I ordered are coming from Germany, but I got free delivery.

Rcouture - lol at the cat joining in the Zoom meeting.   I'm fortunate that I don't have a webcam so I can drink coffee and doodle and watch everyone else.   I just find the time goes quite slowly in a Zoom meeting.  Next one is February so that's not so bad.

Kayanos' are quality shoes, you'll get a lot of miles out of them.   Maybe you can use the Nikes for 5k or 10 races, when running faster you'll be running more on the forefoot.

Your marathon in March (& Cal's) looks like you'll be in good company as they're going to use it for the UK Olympic trials.
    Kew Gardens to host British Olympic marathon trials - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

10 miles this morning, nice running weather and roads very quiet.   Occasional twinge in my ankle where the camber is steep on the roads, so may strap it up for my longer runs for a while.   
    53 miles for the week. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian, I may have to write a few emails to other companies.  I was already thinking of writing to Pro Direct as they are local to us anyway.

RCouture, I worked from home from 2003-2015 and for me personally it was fantastic.  Just the time saving alone was worth it for me.  In those times I was a project manager working on IT projects with people primarily in India so I could do that from wherever.  My bosses were in Ipswich and London mainly so we weren't co-located anyway.  Users/Customers were all over the UK.  We didn't use video conferencing but did a huge amount of audio conferencing, and sharing screens/applications to work collaboratively.  I think because we were used to it we became as efficient as anything we would do face-to-face.  I think the only thing that was better face-to-face was when we were getting new projects off the ground, meeting teams for the first time, working on new project requirements at the start.  After that, getting into the development and delivery it was more or less all remote, apart from the piss up at the end once the project was delivered :) 

4-miles today, at at average of 136bpm so nice and steady.  It's apparent I have lost a lot of fitness, but - drum roll please - it was a pain free run!  Even walking up the steps at the end there was no twinge.  I definitely could have carried on but I cut it there as planned as I wanted to finish feeling positive.  OH even commented that I was buzzing when I came through the door, and I was.  I'm really pleased, and hopefully there will be no set backs as today it reconfirmed what I've been missing. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that is great news, a pain free run.  :)  You know you can regain any lost fitness.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Seen some asics gt2000 at sportshoes in my size for 75 after discount,think they are similar to the other shoes I use.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's seems a good price.   Both the GT1000 and GT2000 are good shoes for mild overpronators.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    On the subject of discounts, Sports Direct are offering 20% everything at full price, code on top of website.   But it only applies to full priced items, of which on SD there aren't that many.   But if you've set your heart on a newly launched pair of shoes it does mean that a pair of shoes at £150 is £30 off.

Big G - I just noticed that the Mizuno Wave Rider, latest ladies model has the elf heel same as the NB1080s, I expect the mens' is the same.   However not much help really as that shoe is dearer than the NB1080s.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Also the same discount with sweatshop,same owner,and they have more full price items.
  • 25% off everything including sale items at https://store.runnorthwest.co.uk/ if you use Lockdown25. Limited range but you never know!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nike have 30% off currently via their app for various shoes including Peg 37s for about £51. Limited sizes available now though. I wonder if they’ll do anything extra for Black Friday?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've just trawled all the websites I can find.  None of the websites with the generous overriding discounts have the shoes I want in my size.   Most of the other websites don't have my size even at full price and the 21 models also sold out in my size on quite a few too.

Best price I can find today is £90, 10% drop since yesterday and in my size.   Might order tomorrow if still available.

alehouse - thanks but nothing on that website for me.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-What size are you? Looking for OH at same time so will keep an eye out 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - UK 7

Thanks
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - if you find any message me.   Otherwise a lurker will snap them up  ;)
  • Emmy, I am usually sore and tight in the morning so it's a necessity (I did roll today, just didn't record it).

I wanted to run a half today and it was a toss-up between heading for Crystal Palace with a few hills, or a flatter run along the river. Being the masochist that I am, I opted for the former.
    I did my usual route up to Streatham and on to Dulwich, but opted to bypass Hell Hill in favour of Rock Hill further along. If Hell Hills is long and hard like John Holmes, Rock Hill is short and brutal like Bob Hoskins. I did accidentally turn off to soon and found myself in a cul-de-sac, so had to backtrack, but I got to Rock Hill after that and slogged up it. It's extremely steep - 19.3% at the steepest point, so I was breathing pretty hard when I got to the top.
    I usually turn right after that to go to Crystal Palace Park, but I wanted to check out Sydenham Wells Park this time which is nearby. I knew which road to take but wasn't sure of the turning, so I followed a sign for the Green Chain (which you'd think would take you through a park) and found myself on a steep, muddy downhill through some trees that I ended up walking as I didn't fancy falling on my arse. Alas, this did not bring me into the park, but into the back of a housing estate. I managed to find my way through and was able to access the park from the other side, so did a quick circuit (it was pleasant enough) before working my way back to Crystal Palace Park. I just cut through rather than doing a circuit, via the dinosaur lake, and then made my way to the notorious Fox Hill (apparently London's steepest residential road). Slogged up there - it's steep but I think Rock Hill is worse, actually - then down through another park, alongside a rec and then down Streatham Common and from there to home.
    It was a slow old run - it took me 2:23 - but I got it done. Hamstring held up but post tib is a little grouchy (don't think it likes downhills) and I had a weird twinge in my outer left quad which I think is also due to the downhills.
    I've had an Epsom Salt bath so hopefully these aches will be temporary, especially after a rest day tomorrow.
  • Cal are those Epsom salt baths effective? My OH keeps suggesting I use them but I’ve never been bothered. 

13 miles for me too. Felt great and weather was brilliant so I of course went too fast 😩. To be fair was the first non-MAF run in about a month. No niggles so fingers crossed I dodged a billet. 

London was heaving with seemingly everyone out and about. 
  • Well, I find a good soak in them relaxes me but whether a regular bubble bath would be just as relaxing, I don't know. They contain magnesium, though, which is good for us. Well done on your run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Had a nice 7-mile walk this afternoon, which although misty rain it was still nice to get out and we stopped for a takeaway coffee en route.  Foot fine except I felt it on one occasion up a section of path, which is a reminder I still need to be careful with my runs so will be sticking to flat routes for running for the time being.  11-miles of activity for the day though which is the most for a long time, so that is encouraging as just over 2 weeks ago I had turn around at the end of the road when going for a walk as the foot hurt.  Rest day from running tomorrow, but I will probably walk to work with OH and add on a bit to make it up to 6 or 7ish.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you seem to be having more of these morning aches lately.

Can't beat a good hot bath after a run, Epsom salts are supposed to be very effective.

I have a bath every day after my run.   I used to shower but a few years ago when I had my hamstring origin injury,  I was in the midst of decorating my bathroom so couldn't use the shower, and I found a bath really helped.

Rcouture - good run from you today.   I saw lots of people out too, including 4 cyclists, I'm sure not from the same household.   ;)

Big G - that's some decent distance from you today.

Ian - let me know what size you're looking for in the Adrenalines for your OH, I might be able to help when I do my website checks in the morning.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Matt D bailed at 89 miles.   Must have been so tough but he had no support with him so he did well to get that far.  He said if he'd had coffee he might have been able to carry on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    7 miles this morning, colder but still good running weather, no wind or rain.   Legs feel fresh even though it's 12 days since I had a rest day, my bouncy Clifton 6s' today probably helped with that fresh feeling.

Leaks/speculation about post lockdown looks promising, a return to outdoor sport and gyms reopening in all tiers.   I guess we'll hear more later today.   :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that’s a shame about Matt D. It was a tough route though and I’d imagine very muddy in places so I can imagine that would be very hard to do at night.

Regarding shoes, I’ve been looking around but so far resisted. There are some good deals on some shoes though. For a few months I’ve been looking at Adidas SL20 and there are some good prices on those.  It was difficult not to click ‘Buy’ on the Peg 37 because £51 is very good value as well.  I’ve resisted so far though as I’m waiting for NB for discounts on the shoes I’m interested in, although I strongly expect I’ll be disappointed in that regard. I keep getting their emails but the 4 shoes I’ve got my eye on aren’t discounted, and I expect they won’t be.

Stitches on back started coming out so OH whipped them out last night as the wound was starting to look a bit irritated, so it’s good they’re out now. 

Looks promising about gyms 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, re Matt D but he's daft to choose a tough route and then have no support on the route.  Just not feasible to do those sort of distances without support.

I've seen lots of adidas and Nike shoes reduced but as I don't know the fit of them I won't risk it.   I thought it was the Pegasus that you returned, or was that another shoe?

I think you'll have a very long wait for discount on the NB shoes that you're looking at, they sell out, same for me with the Adrenalines.   

Was it the Beacon you were looking at too, I've seen the women's on SD for £73, not looked at the men's.

You've healed well, good the stitches are out.

Yes that is really hopeful re gyms, you'll be able to resume your spin classes too.   Looks like club training will be able to resume too.   Might be an update tonight, think Boris is presenting plans to Parliament today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did try Peg 37 but the ones I tried had a different lacing and I think it was that I couldn’t get on with - they call it Fly Ease.  I was tempted to try the regular ones and Nike do have a good returns policy.  I think adidas tend to be half a size up for a lot of people so I’d have ordered those and again they’ve got a good returns policy.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried adidas before, going a half or full size up, but still too narrow for me in the forefoot.   The last is just the wrong shape for me.   But I'm sure some of the adidas shoes are built on a different last and I've seen some come up true and even a little larger than 'true' size.   

Those adidas you've ordered are performance/race shoes aren't they.

I can't be bothered to buy stuff that I might have to return.

Hope the Pegasus are alright this time for you.   

I have a pair of Asics with a similar lacing system, forgotten what it's called and I really like it on the shoes I have.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-She is 5.5,found her a pair now so xmas sorted.If you find some narrow could you buy a man's 7? Think they are wider and are often available as it's a smaller mans size.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - a couple of the websites I've pinned had 5.5, £90 +delivery was the cheapest, still at that price today.

No, don't want a man's shoe, they are a poor fit, and would be too big in the heel for me.   I'm planning to run long distances in them so the fit needs to be perfect.
    Not sure Adrenaline's come in narrow anyway.  My size are still at £90.

Thanks anyway

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Ah ok,its not something I've ever looked in to as it doesnt affect me or OH so wasnt if there was any real difference.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I haven't actually ordered either shoe yet, but keep hovering over the order button...  I see some use the adidas I mentioned as a daily shoe, which is what I want.  The sole in particular looks quite good for wet conditions.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I looked up the Adidas shoe briefly as I've never heard of it and it came up on several websites as very lightweight performance shoe.   Also used for training by faster marathon runners, summer shoe as thin mesh so keeps feet cool.   From that I would guess not very hard wearing or high mileage.