Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Elevation is my other current bugbear.

I went for a run with Bus at the start of the month:

Garmin 7.99 miles 277m ascent
    Strava 7.99 miles 241m ascent
    Fetch 7.99 miles 304m ascent

Over 2020 

Garmin 
    35,182 m
    Strava 
    40,173 m
    Fetch 57,427 m

How can these systems differ so much? 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is Fetch an app of some kind too? Or just done via a website? That's hugely overhyping things and I dare say the truth on the elevation is in between the Garmin and Strava readings.

On another note that 7.99 miles makes really awks viewing. Round it up son.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    SQ - There's real pros and cons of track v elsewhere.
    Mentally it's easier out on the road sometimes as you get a change of scenery and can pretend you're "Impressing" people monstering around :D 
    You can also count off the miles a bit easier. I used to love a 0.9mile loop that I had 6-7 goes round. It had an ever so slight incline and drop and that just broke it up a bit. Not the safest route I always think when I drive past there now as it has a parade of shops, a service station and about 50 houses with drives that someone could come in or out of at any time. Two big schools in and around too - but I managed to get away with it without many issues back in the days.

However it's always that bit less safe.

Track is perfectly safe and smooth. People say it's easier and those elements do help that but I think you also give yourself a harder mission mentally.
    Especially on the track I now run on that you're totally enclosed and alone in. At least the old track was near a thriving sports centre with a constant flow of people. (Although I much prefer the current set up in all ways).
    Add in a windy day and storming into the wind 16-20-24 times in a session and that's not easier than going in a straight line out of the wind off track!

You don't get those extreme leaps of current pace that you can be subject to on the road as well.
    The 1.6mile or so loop I did near Marlow was flat but you'd be going bang on at 6.10 pace on the watch then it'd suddenly show 6.40 on a dodgy trace and make you panic. But then actual mile would come out as it should.

I dare say most people who do tempos pick a fairly smooth safe loop anyway though - so if you're wanting to mirror a "proper" course that doesn't really do it either.

• Does this elevation disparity mean I have to make sure I surpass my goal on all platforms! So far I am using Garmin, although it’s loaded to Strava, I’ve not used the elevation check thing.

• Reg - surely sign up to Fetch on that basis!
  • I've been on Fetch for years but never really used it.

Did my reps in the dark this afternoon and I discovered there is no shortage of moths or deer. In fact as I got to the bottom of the hill there was a mob of about 12 deer, quite a sight when you have a headtorch on as it's so clear. Didn't do many reps as it just wasn't much fun in the dark.
  • fetch is a website https://www.fetcheveryone.com/

My Garmin has no barometer so no elevation so the GPS is processed to get height at a location and then the difference gives ascent and descent. The trouble is that the height is rather crude so you get a lot of noise: as an example say I run along the Thames which is pretty flat but the heights these algorithms return are obviously somewhat wrong. 5m difference between points on the river itself: obviously the interpolation is from somewhere high up Winter Hill and the flat flood plains.

• You’re 400m closer to the summit according to Strava Reg. If you make it on Garmin Connect you’ve made it everywhere. Generally Strava is higher although my Sunday jaunt was 2,000ft hillier on Garmin - no crazy spikes either.
    Funny you should mention triples SQ. Double 10K run commute today was the plan (with a possible extension to 13K on the homeward leg) but my colleague was up for a lunchtime 5 miler so today became a triple & 18M done. Felt good enough to do a dozen 200m pushes off 90” on the way home.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Interesting comment made involving give and take.

My best clients are the one's for whom favours are rarely if ever given. And since I don't like nice people being ripped off. My charges are actually suggestions. Which basically means they retain the choice of how much they wish to pay. They can be generous to the point where I refuse to take as much money as offered.

Here's a note from one of them. 
    This is someone who is disabled, lives on benefits and hasn't really anything.

Good eh! Being given money for caring. 

So to distance running...

Managed to average 13.75 miles per day through December 1918 as a Strava Challenge. Won't do that again, or rather won't even think about trying that again. The exploit didn't result in anything of benefit. Besides, globally there was some chap in my age group running 10 miles - three times per day - had done so for thirty years - and on the same loop! 

And further news - I'm emigrating to New Zealand.

I'll be living temporarily in the house I already own out there, so our tenants will have to vacate the place for a few months. In the meantime my wife will sort out the permanent residence.

Fairly straightforward process. Buy some land and have a house built upon it.
    Here's the design we've settled upon. It has a floor space of 233 sq metres.
    NZ233-kaimanawa-large-house-plan-1.jpg

New Zealand currently has no Covid-19

🙂

• I knew you were old Ric but I didn't realise you and Strava were around at the end WW1.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I knew you were old Ric but I didn't realise you and Strava were around at the end WW1.
     :) 

Might have well been all things considered.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a look at fetch a few times and found the forums were quite awkward to use and the whole site seemed a bit of a mess. They did have a feature of logging your training but when you have strava, mention it on here and keep your own record it seemed a bit redundant.

I'm sure there's plenty of "fetchies" who would argue for their site being the better though.

Jools - steady on - 3 runs a day and still mixing in high volume elevation with some speed is one heck of cocktail!

Day off today so thought I'd do around 10miles - which I'd very roughly calculated as being up the woods next to me, under the motorbridge next to asda through some fields and woods to Marlow bottom then back to Sheepridge and one of the many options into Flackwell and back from there.

Realised I'd underestimated what that mileage would entail so up Winchbottom instead of out to Sheepridge. But basically for any non locals, they're both each one of about 5 different options to get from low to the top of the hill again. Only problem with Winchbottom is that it's one of those hills with a fairly consistent moderate climb until late on where it's quite severe for half a mile.

Myself and some cyclist were almost competing for the world's slowest sprint near the top of it as I passed him. However back on the flat he sailed away while I waited for my legs to come back, not helped by having to wait off road for a bit while a flood of cars came past

But erm 10.5miles in the end would have been at least 12.5+ if I'd stuck to the main route. So good news I didn't as these "Not at work" runs always seem to take more of the day to recover from!

Dashers virtual AGM tonight. 2 of us share the men's cap role so I've done the research & stats and my colleague can do the jabber. As he's a corporate big cheese I expect that's how life works in his day to day job too!

(ps yes there weren't as many stats this year funnily enough but at least we could utilise Nov & Dec!!)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Doing the stats for tonight - our top 2 mileage guys are both in their 50s.
    3300 and 3150 or so miles in 2020. That's a good effort. Although one doesn't work - which helps! And also he had a long spell in the summer of adding in runs with his kids. Just shows how incredibly consistent the 3300mile guy is!

2982 for me so far - assuming that's properly picked up everything. Higher than the 2019 year total already I think with a month to go. Makes sense - missed a month with vertigo last year. Well on target for the annual 3000 rough target though which needs 57 mile weeks.

Actually topped the club elevation last week with over 4000 feet.
    Not a stand out on the SG thread though and not just because Reggie is currently warping it with his challenge :)
  • RicF said:

I'll be living temporarily in the house I already own out there, so our tenants will have to vacate the place for a few months. In the meantime my wife will sort out the permanent residence.

Is that just you and the wife or the boy as well? I'm fairly sure you have the one boy (I've seen him several times at parkrun and I pulled up a result to check, https://www.parkrun.org.uk/blackpark/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=111). Seems we were 2nd and 3rd with a plethora of oldies up front: first SM was 15th and second was 27th!
  • Fetch has some great features but as you say, it's a bit of a mess. If you're used to it, I suspect it would be hard to move to Strava.

After commenting on the abundance of deer yesterday, I can confirm there is one less now! Right at the bottom of my main climb there's now a disemboweled one. Rather off-putting to be honest. I'd love to know what had been tucking into it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not great Reg - thought the monstered rabbit near the track was bad enough the other day.

Right - have another day off tomorrow so need to do something "quality" ish to complement the Tue threshold.

Will either have a scout through some of the sessions the Dashers coach has been posting for the track or drive somewhere for a seg bash.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Sounds fun SG. Run not the agm 🤣
    Could’ve been an RTA Reg. Deer often run off after being hit then die somewhere else. Foxes, dogs & badgers will all happily tuck into a dead deer & leave a right mess too if disturbed.
    TR & I are both in our 50’s & currently well over 3,000 for the year to date.
    Only real climbing I’ve done recently was Sunday’s coastal epic. Just under 300’ over 18M yesterday. 
    Just a double today: 4.2M at lunch with the rugby lads including 2x1K & 2x320m. The latter distance was a bit random but it’s between 2 convenient landmarks & also a Strava seg. I managed a PR on it too 😎 Backed that up with a comfy 8M between the kids going & parents’ evening. Beautiful evening if a little chilly.
  • Stevie G said:
    Realised I'd underestimated what that mileage would entail so up Winchbottom instead of out to Sheepridge. But basically for any non locals, they're both each one of about 5 different options to get from low to the top of the hill again. Only problem with Winchbottom is that it's one of those hills with a fairly consistent moderate climb until late on where it's quite severe for half a mile.

I've never really counted the number of ways from low to high. Even with Winchbottom, there are three ways to go from Winchbottom Farm (up to Handy Cross Farm, up to Hard to Find Farm or the middle road which ends with a zigzag to get you up to the motorway bridge). You then also have 4 lanes: Monkton, Sheepridge, Chapmans and Blind before you start to count the off-road paths. 

I find Winchbottom the easiest but it is the one I do most often and so have a sort of rhythm and markers to reach and pass.
  • This deer was in the woods exactly where I'd seen them the day before and a good half a mile from the main road so it was unlikely to have been a car. There's a lot of fencing about so it may have got injured in the barbed wire, not much else to threaten them up there. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    RicF said:

Is that just you and the wife or the boy as well? I'm fairly sure you have the one boy (I've seen him several times at parkrun and I pulled up a result to check, https://www.parkrun.org.uk/blackpark/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=111). Seems we were 2nd and 3rd with a plethora of oldies up front: first SM was 15th and second was 27th!
    Yes Phil, it'll be all three of us going. I remember you at what was my first time ever Parkrun, as you ran inexorably away from me. Subsequently, on seeing you at Chiltern Leagues where you continued to administer the beatings I deserved, I eventually made contact via this thread...But that doesn't make it your fault I'm here.

As for the means and ability to go and live in New Zealand. Two things. First. I have residency due to marriage. Second. I had a plan to retire early. It's why I live in a maisonette with battered furniture.

The plan.
    Buy smallest property in a good area (advice from an architect). Pay mortgage off as fast as possible (repayment version, advice from an 18 year old Indian whose family had 112 houses). Don't trade up. Stay there and use surplus cash for investment (my idea) Pay maximum amounts into pension funds and never stop doing so (Advice from a financial advisor) Buy another house, pay that mortgage off as well. Rent it out (Advice from the Bank of New Zealand) The plan has worked.

A normal job can do this. However, living a life of self imposed austerity for thirty years isn't realistic for most. I had my reasons. And they were enough.

Currently on my winter break. Doing up to five hours per day training. Lost 6kg of fat since July which helps going up hill. Same weight I was forty years ago but much fitter.

And so to football and Maradona.

As a tribute to the football genius, here’s how I’ll remember the guy best.

It’s a song sung by the Scottish supporters the first time they met England following the 'Hand-of God' match.

To the tune the Okey Cokey,

He put his left arm in, he took his left arm out,

In out, in out, he shook it all about,

He did the Okey-Cokey and he turned the match around,

That’s what it’s all about. Whoa…

Oh… Diago Maradona, Oh… Diago Maradona, Oh… Diago Maradona,

He put England,

Out!

Out!

Out!

🙂

• RicF said:

The plan.
    Buy smallest property in a good area (advice from an architect). Pay mortgage off as fast as possible (repayment version, advice from an 18 year old Indian whose family had 112 houses). Don't trade up. Stay there and use surplus cash for investment (my idea) Pay maximum amounts into pension funds and never stop doing so (Advice from a financial advisor) Buy another house, pay that mortgage off as well. Rent it out (Advice from the Bank of New Zealand) The plan has worked.

The best financial advice I'd give to anyone is to be born in the late 50's early 60's. 

I started work in the late 1980s and bought a house for £30k with a 95% mortgage so I had to find a 5% deposit (£1,500) which, luckily, I had due to an inheritance from a maiden great aunt. At the time I was earing about £12k a year so it was 1.5 months' salary. I missed the crippling interest rates of the late 70s and early 80s but caught the wave of growth afterwards so within a few years that house sold for £60k and I already owned half my house. By about 10 years later we could have owned it all apart from the fact that we had 4 kids and a 3-bed was too small so remortgaged to extend. 

My kids have it way harder. That house we bought for £30k is now valued at about £350k and you need a 10 to 20% deposit so £35k or upwards and that is over a year's salary. They, therefore, have to rent from someone and pay off some else's mortgage.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    RicF said:

The plan.

The best financial advice I'd give to anyone is to be born in the late 50's early 60's. 

I started work in the late 1980s and bought a house for £30k with a 95% mortgage so I had to find a 5% deposit (£1,500) which, luckily, I had due to an inheritance from a maiden great aunt. At the time I was earing about £12k a year so it was 1.5 months' salary. I missed the crippling interest rates of the late 70s and early 80s but caught the wave of growth afterwards so within a few years that house sold for £60k and I already owned half my house. By about 10 years later we could have owned it all apart from the fact that we had 4 kids and a 3-bed was too small so remortgaged to extend. 

My kids have it way harder. That house we bought for £30k is now valued at about £350k and you need a 10 to 20% deposit so £35k or upwards and that is over a year's salary. They, therefore, have to rent from someone and pay off some else's mortgage.

In my experience Phil, financial planning belongs in the same group as politics and religion.

I was involved directly (financial services) for three months in late 1988, but wasn't suited to the job so packed it in. At least I learned something which really mattered.

Still remember the boss of the branch. A Welshman. The greatest cynic ever. Advice to the salesman, "Don't concern yourself with those unable to take care of their financial futures (ie refuse to buy one of our products), they won't need them anyway. ? By the time they hit their forties they'll start worrying about their retirement prospects, and this will become so all consuming as they head off into their fifties, they'll drop down dead (laughing) from the stress of it all. So forget them. 

🙂

• This is like a cross between Martin Lewis’ money programme and Last of the Summer Wine.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Let's get some running talk going.

Single today back over in Slough which was odd. Bit more relaxed than a normal session - a return to the seg hunt days of the summer.
    Some things don't change - made a bit of a hash of some of them but put some decent paces in. 2 segs achieved out of the 6 attempted! Ludicrously got the hard one that needed low 4 pace. But somehow managed to slightly deviate/not trigger the trace on 4 others :)

Including a 100metre straight footpath one! Madness.

Bit cold today and I remembered what a hassle a 30-40min commute is every day! Will try and appreciate the ease of just wandering into another room at home to work from while it lasts!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    ps if anyone is after some Adidas Adios 5 - sportshoes are turning out 2 colours at £65 each which is decent.

Just noticed they have a bar showing fit underneath too.
    My stock shoe Wave rider measures to size but Adios 5 measures up at 1/2 a size smaller.
    Seems to be the same deal with the Vaporfly type jobs too.

That'd catch you out if you had your day to day trainer on the tighter side of things. 
  • I bought a pair a week ago, SG. Have had numerous pairs of Adios (and some Ace beforehand) - probably my favourite ‘fast’ shoe of all time. 

Yet to try out the Adios 5, but they look good! £65 a relative bargain as well. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Got a couple of pairs as £65 is bottom of the market. (£5 or so postage over 2 pairs so call it £67.50). £81 was a good price I thought a year ago.

Only 2 colours. The others are £85 to £120 or so!

Noticed Nike had a 25% "off everything" code...that erm...had exceptions :disappointed:

Funnily enough the Next and Alphafly are in that territory. Sportshoes have plenty at the moment but probably "luckily" they don't have mysize to stop me getting tempted.

Quite absolutely unbelievably they actually do other (non running) trainers at about £700 a pair.
    Absolutely unthinkable.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Had some wine so can’t quite tell if you are being serious or not. £700?!

I got my favourite Adios colour of blue. Nice to return to this after suffering through orange, yellow, white, black and silver since my last lovely blue pair. Weird how the white felt so strange - only 10 years ago that this was absolutely the only option. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    On re-checking I've hyped it up a bit...but only a bit!
    £620!
    https://www.nike.com/gb/t/hyperadapt-1-shoe-N18GZX/AQ0436-300

Gold was my all time favourite Adios 2 variant at the start of the 2010s.
    I did have the blue back then too.

I wanted the luminous green to be honest. But not at 40clams more!
    Maybe one of the thread lurkers who gain so much from our bants would like to buy them for me?
    (ok I'm dreaming a bit here :D