Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes it has made a big difference, we made sure took it into account when working out how much we want to pay as,hopefully,we will be putting money aside for that again soon.
    First pain free walking day today,couldn't feel it at all,but it is still there,can feel it now when I'm using the golf ball.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, yes, I saw that.  It's a shame that he's had to come out and say what he did before the record has even been broken.  It's debatable if Kilian will break it anyway!  If you have a look at Kilian's post yesterday it's a very different tone!  The commentators confirmed that if the record goes it will be a valid record.
    Kilian:  https://www.facebook.com/kilianjornet/posts/10157489774020178
    Yiannis:  https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10158919343189330&id=13426749329

Just picked up some 1080v10s in my size for £79.99 (plus delivery) so I'm pleased with that :)  I went via quidco for 10% cash back, but not sure if they'll honour that.  I'm happy with that though.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I agree BigG. The tones are very different and I know who comes across as the more relatable one!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - great splits, when is the 5km?

Ankle feels OK now, was a little sore this morning.   Will run tomorrow.

Ian - well some good to come out of the pandemic.   
    Fingers crossed that the PF is healing.

Big G - I can understand Yiannis having a moan, I haven't read more than one comment.   Kilian is sponsored, the event is put on for him and the launch of a shoe.   In Yiannis' day ultra runners were never sponsored, they entered events (not had them put on for them) sorted out all their own nutrition and travel and kit etc and held down full time jobs too.

At my first 12 hour race at Tipton I met Ron Bentley, he broke the world record in 1973 for 24 hour track, 161 miles.   He fuelled his record breaking run with jars of honey.   Really nice man, died last year.

This is a great read

Ron Bentleys' 24 Hour Record (Ted Corbitt Biography Extract) (tiptonharriers.co.uk)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I understand all that about the shoes/promo Shades, but using the word "cheat" isn't really on, I didn't think.  Sounds a bit like sour grapes and it wasn't really needed before the event.  I guess it's a different world now with all the sponsorship etc, but I think some of these runners are inspiring to regular runners such as myself.

Bit of a delay opening up, but I'm in for the DD :D 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I agree,it's not Killian's fault he can make a good living out of running,and it's a pity for Yiannis that he wasn't a top runner now,as he would have made a fortune and have set even better records.
    Also entered,think I was 12th  :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm in DD too, but refreshing the page didn't work.  I had to go into website and then select event.    so it was probably open at 7pm.

I didn't read the whole thing, I said that.   Is he referring to the event?   I think runners who achieve great things without sponsorship are far more inspirational than those that don't.

If you read that link I put up re Ron Bentley, the guy Peter Hart who finished 2nd is a friend of mine.   He must be nearly 80 now, he still carried on running even as he got older and slower.   He's a farmer and worked full time on his farm while he was running ultras.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I just clicked on the DD page again and it now says there are 410 entries  :o
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It started at 260 for some reason,so there are 150 now,that's a lot already.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - oh, not Kilian's fault that times have changed and there's now money in ultras.

Great news on DD entry.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    260 is the race limit.   There's over 200 now entered.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just clicked on the 24 hour race, it looks so cold and grey there.   
  • Options
    Great run, Emmy - good job.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Kilian dropped out yesterday evening.  Not sure of the reason but apparently a knee issue, which is shame.  I did read a few days ago he had an injury around the time of that road 10k he did.  I just turned it back on and there some runners still out there.  With 1hr45 to go, the leader is on 220km/137 miles.

Just checked the DD page and the race is full with a reserve list in operation already.  I guess people are desperate to get something booked and have something to look forward to!  Glad I got in - I just hope I can get some training done.  I feel I am going to be starting again from a poor level of fitness, but I know I've got time.  If I can start the New Year with no niggles, I'll be happy with that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Big G - forgot to say last night, that's a great bargain on the NB shoes.

I see DD is now full  :)   I'm ridiculously excited about having done a race entry, gives me hope for next year and a target to work towards.

I had a few minutes to spare before my run while I finished my coffee this morning so checked on Kilian's progress.   Very disappointing to see that he had to stop at 83 miles, but it's a brutal event and anything can happen.

7 miles this morning, I heard the rain splattering on the window last night but it was calm and the rain held off for my run   Ankle fine, I think mainly because with lighter traffic today I could run mostly on the road which is a better surface than the pavements, had a lovely run.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I was very happy with that price.  I got two pairs - one normal width and one a wider width.  I've been fine with my normal ones but when it warms up and I hopefully get some longer runs, I wondered if a bit extra width may be useful.  I did actually succumb and bought a pair of those Adidas as well - I just couldn't resist in the end as the reviews were so good for them.

I had presumed the athletes would all be wearing Salomon stuff, but I see one of the guys (the leader I think) is wearing Nikes.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I found the same thing with the 1080's that they fit fine but maybe a little tight on space in the forefoot width for hot weather so I could comfortably run in the wide version.

I'm impressed with the quality of the other athletes.   The Scandinavians are very good at these events but particularly so in a year when they maybe haven't been training for any championship events.   I don't think you'd persuade a  24 hour runner to not use his favoured kit, particularly the shoes.   It's normal to take a selection of shoes to try and alleviate repetitive hot spots.   Also even in cold weather feet swell once you get up to higher mileage.    

One year when I was travelling home from Two Bridges race in Scotland I stopped at NB in Shap to buy a couple of pairs of shoes.  They have some great bargains so after choosing my shoes I then asked for a cheap pair of shoes 1 or 1.5 sizes bigger than my usual size.   The assistant patted me on the knee and told me kindly that  my feet wouldn't grow any more at my age (I was about 45 at the time).   I explained that I needed them for 24 hour race if my feet would no longer fit in my shoes due to swelling.  I got a pair for £25, like big comfy slippers to walk in.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - when I checked on my phone this morning the chat said Kilian had knee issues and was suffering from dizziness.

I think his pre race injury was achilles niggle?

I guess there'll be a big transfer list for DD.

We've got 6 months to train for DD.   You know that you'll regain your MAF fitness in 6 to 8 weeks which will give you a good base for longer/hillier stuff.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Shades, I think it was achilles around the time of that 10k.  I guess it's just very different to what he's used to, with the constant pace and no undulations.   This is quite vertigo inducing in parts, but this is what he's more well known for I suppose.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRzeLDkWT1c

It has been an interesting event to dip in and out of.  I think from looking at the YouTube chat many don't know it's even a thing to run for 24hrs around a track, so I suppose it is still very niche.  At one point when I was on yesterday, 20000 were watching.  I wonder if it's sparked interest in many people to give it ago?

Commentators are back on and saying Kilian was dizzy and is still at the hospital.  No problem with his knee or feet apparently and the commentator was was keen to quash that story.  Who knows though.  Kilian will do a statement later apparently.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes I just heard the commentator saying that about Kilian, quashing the 'rumours' about having sore knees/feet.  

I wish I'd never started watching it as it's stirred up my enthusiasm to have another go.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Amazing interviews!  Recommend tuning in if you can.
  • Options
    Sounds like Kilian is just not used to running around a track. Shame for him but I'm sure he'll have another go at some point.

I've not done any speed work this week, what with the extra rest day and generally feeling a bit crap, so I thought I'd try a bit today. Given how I've felt this week and the fact my groin's been a bit twingey since yesterday (I put that down more to sitting on my bum for two days, rather than the run I did) I wasn't going to attempt a 5K effort. Instead I did four miles easy and three (.11) miles at tempo. I was aiming for HMP but the first two of the tempo miles were between HMP and MP and then the last one was slightly faster than HMP, although it felt more like 10K pace. I've the Olympic Park half in three weeks...somehow I don't think a PB is on the table for that one.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I saw the interviews, those guys were so impressive.   I see from the photo/medal ceremony that they had all been given those light windproof tops from the sponsor.   They all said the conditions were brutal.   Sounds like they might go for a summer event.   I never entered the Tooting event as that would be too cold for me at night.   In a 24 hour you can't believe how you feel the cold when depleted of energy.   I used to do Hull and it was mid June so short nights and good temperatures without being hot.

I do hope they can ratify the two Norwegian national records, if not then Salomon should have set up the event properly.

The commentator is obsessed with bodily functions, kept going on about runners going to the toilet, puking up and lying down on the track like babies.  ;)

Cal - according to the commentator Kilian stopped due to dizziness and was still in hospital 14 hours later, so that is nothing to do with the track.   Could be low blood pressure or unable to take on nutrition or possibly a combination of both.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, a real insight into their mindset so close to crossing the finish line.  With 16hrs of darkness and the cold they were saying it's the worst conditions they've ran in, and they are all very experienced.  One chap said the sun was only on the track for one lap!  Yes, the references to bodily functions were amusing - he's not a professional interviewer I don't think, but I quite liked the way it seemed so low key.  Wouldn't get that from Gabby interviewing Eliud on the Beeb :)  Yesterday he was saying that he knows Kilian and helps him out with the mountain challenges that he does.  The other interviewer seemed a bit more focussed in some ways (I think he's a runner), but I thought it was a good insight into it.  I liked the set up and how they responded to the YouTube chat as best they could; it must have been tricky as the chat was going crazy when they were on answering questions.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's almost as exhausting for race marshals, supporters and the commentators.   

When I used to do Hull some of the lap counters would do the whole 24 hours shift and that's tough, as hard to stay awake when sitting at a table watching the runners go round.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, although it was low key in terms of the runners and the interviewers etc, he hinted that it's a lot of work to put on something like that.  The aid station, physios, extra lighting, camera operators, different cameras so presumably some kind of director choosing the shots, gritters to keep the inside lane clear, the interviewers up most of the night, all in freezing temperatures.  I think something like that wouldn't really have been possible even a few years ago, but the YouTube Live streaming opens it up to a massive audience.  Not flashy at all, but still great viewing.  As always though it's the characters that really make it - those guys at the end were fantastic.  So humble, but able to articulate what drives them and I guess proud of what they've done, but knowing for sure that they can do better in warmer conditions.  It's a great balance.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I agree.  I'm glad I saw the post race interviews.    You can see the suffering though, when they lowered the winner to the chair and then the guy that was 3rd came over the line and fell down face first on the track and stayed there until the commentator pulled him up to standing again.   Interviews were impressive as none of them had English as their first language.

I've just ordered another pair of Adrenalines, £90 free delivery.   Price has dropped from £108 from that particular supplier since yesterday.

That will be 4 pairs of Adrenalines, which should be enough.   Will only buy more if a bargain price.
  • Options
    Heh, it was a weak joke on my part about running in circles. Seriously though, hope he's OK.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That's good value Shades.  Good to stock up.  As for my shoes, I don't know if I would want to run a marathon or DD in my NB, so at some point I'm going to have to get back to my Asics when the niggles have gone (I have unopened pairs of the ones I race in).  I do really like the NB to train in as they are very comfy and easy on the achilles, but I think I prefer to feel the ground a bit more, which my Asics give me.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry, I misunderstood.    :(  

Big G - not so sure you want to feel the road at DD, would be tempting to have that cushioning on the downhills.   But you'll know nearer the time.

Our gym has opened up for bookings now, slightly fewer morning sessions, I expect they are a bit short of staff.   I've booked for Wednesday after Pilates, but will ease myself back into the gym work as I start the Conne training plan next week.