New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Hello, Mature Runners. I saw one of WtnMel's posts on Fetcheveryone this morning, which reminded me to look you up and see how everyone is. Still going strong, apparently.
    JB, I live in mid-Wales, and am never bored, though it's true I'm on the edge of a town not out in the wilds. There are indeed places where you can't get a wifi signal, though I once discovered that if you scrambled up the side of a near-vertical hill for 5 yards or so, you could pick up a signal though at road level there was none.
    Still running, but dreadfully slowly. I have been taking the not-a-parkrun option regularly, and my times are getting longer and longer. The running club does a couple of linear runs per week, for which I don't join them because they would keep having to wait for me. But once a week they have something with lots of reps (it was speedwork over the summer, now it's hill reps) so I keep up with them by the simple expedient of doing fewer reps. 
  • Columba, good to hear from you - and that you are still running. Yes, I recall you live in west Wales. My 'green' friend is going to live near Tregaron (spelling?). It's funny you (and Mel) mentioned wifi. The plan was that his wife, a GP, would work virtually via the internet. After they'd had their offer on the small holding accepted they found out that there's no wifi.  No big problem: GPs are as scarce in Wales as anywhere else a local practice bit her arm off when she sent in her CV. But it did illustrate one (of many) challenges that await them - they are both townies. They are learning both learning Welsh - and he is learning to drive. (I lived in Dyfed for a few years, south of Carmarthen but that's relatively urban.)
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    RM, in response to your question: on dips and pull-up weight can be added via a belt with a bloody great big disc hanging from it. (I've never done this, I have my weighted vest 10kg and I used to have one of 20kg. That was enough for me; in fact more than enough and I gave it away to someone younger and stronger.)

Mel, very sensible strategy on the knee. 

HM, that's a lovely anecdote about the fitness test.  On the Vo2 max issue, I think that our (well my) ratings are a bit unrealistic and flattering. My reasoning is that the mode of testing, i.e. running, favours us over other modes for 2 reasons: we are relatively efficient runners; we know how to pace ourselves. A non-runner would invariably underperform on a running test, just as we would underperform on, say, a cycling test. (Or even worse a swimming one.)

I've got a good example of this. A couple of years back I saw a mate of mine on the start line of a Parkrun. I was very surprised to see him as he wasn't a runner. He was a 28 year old top local - regional even - cyclist. I'm estimating his Vo2 would be well into the 60s or higher.

He went off like a train (I was following him from some distance) then at the half way point completely blew up. Even I overtook him. At the end he was totally wrecked with a pretty ordinary time which would have, if fed into a Vo2 calculator, seriously under-represented his fitness.

To further test this I set up a 2k Vo2 test on the rower (there's an on on-line calculator). This was an odd one as you had to input whether you were 'highly trained' or not. If I selected the highly trained option I came out on a 38; if not highly trained I was 48.31 - pretty much in line with the running run and rather higher than expected. This latter score rather buggers up my hypothesis somewhat!

Conclusion: I'd happily take both of the 'good' scores! Yours at nine years older than me is outstanding. And apologies to anyone who lost the will to live during this.

We joined the consumer society today and took advantage of a Black Friday offer to buy a smart TV. After a considerable amount of stress - the TV was smarter than its new owners-  we managed to get it set-up; the programmes might still be crap but with a better picture!

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Columba - good to see you back here. Scrambling up a hill to get a mobile signal reminds me of years ago at Center Parcs where the only place you could get a reasonable signal was stood beside the large metal recycling bins. Good you are able to join your club when they are doing hill reps - I've not run with my club since March.

JB - read on below for an update on the knee. I have my own built-in weighted vest .. can't seem to remove it though ;) Call me cynical but I make a point of never buying anything because of Black Friday (which I assume is just a marketing strategy). It's different if people were planning to buy something anyway but I suspect lots of them are tempted and I'm sure most of the 'bargains' had been that price at some point in the past.

I spoke too soon re my right knee. It felt a bit 'tight' today so I'm going to carry on stretching for a couple of days and hope whatever it is will ease off. If it doesn't clear up I'll contact my local physio. I found out today that clubmate of mine was not able to run for seven months and has only just been able to start again. I told her I didn't plan to soldier on!

I took Margaret for her eye check-up this morning .. the good news was they don't want to see her again for another twelve months. It was noticeably colder today - I had to start the car engine and put the heater on at one point as my fingers were getting numb.

While having my breakfast I saw a number of runners out and all of them were well covered up with jackets, hats and long running tracksters. I would have been the same if I'd run. Then as we drove to the hospital a lady passed us just wearing shorts and a vest - she was obviously "well 'ard" :)

Xmas must be on it's way. Instead of the usual one issue of Radio Times, two arrived this morning. It's the time of year when they have to get ahead of themselves before they publish the double-issue Xmas and New Year one. I told Margaret we'll have to do a 'cull' on our BT (Humax) recorder to free up some space for the glut of extra films etc. we'll probably want to record over the coming weeks.
  • John B - I'm in east Wales rather than west. But I know Tregaron, and yes it is pretty wild and bleak.
    Hill reps with the running club tonight. My, it was cold (as well as being misty and dark). However, I'd warmed up by the end, even my hands. Yes, I was wearing gloves. Some of the men were in shorts, but they did have long socks so it was only their knees that were exposed to the cold air. 
  • Columba, apologies for the lapse in geography. Reading about your hill reps reminds me that they breed 'em tough in Wales!
  • WtnMel: Our group of 5 travelled down to Weely in a mini van. Remember getting stopped by the police outside Weely. They lined us up and began to search one of us who, I admit, looked very suspicious and guilty. The rest of us were thinking my god, surely he hasn't got drugs on him. Turns out he was embarrassed in case they found the condom he had in his pocket.
    We got into the festival at less than half price as the Hells Angels had taken over many of the gates and were pocketing the takings. Also remember one of our group causing a huge fire on the campsite whilst making his breakfast on an open fire at 6am. As the fire quickly got out of control on the hay field, we ran around like headless chickens trying to wake everyone up before the fire took their tents. It took half an hour and hundreds of hippies to finally extinguish the fire. We made a hasty retreat before anyone plotted the cause of the fire back to our camp.
    JB: Can't begin to contemplate adding to my already overweight 13st. Still giving upper body exercises a miss, at least until I've fully recovered from my joint injuries. Instead, I've been adding core and leg exercises to my non-running days and I my running already feels better for it. Clocked a 54:15 10K on the TM last night. 
  • Good afternoon everyone,

Columba - lovely to hear from you again, and good to see you are still running. Well done for keeping up with your not-a-parkrun runs, even if you are running “dreadfully slowly” as you say. I do think though that while it’s great to put in a good time, and even strive for a PB, in the end pace matters a lot less than the enjoyment of taking part. I’ve not managed to submit a n-a-p time for a few weeks now as my runs at the moment consist of accompanying my husband on his Couch to 5k programme, and the distance we run is less than 5k. I see you did some hill reps last night with your club in what sounds like rather cold conditions. It’s ages since I went over to my club to take part in training, and my running has suffered as a result, but I’m trying to keep a certain level of fitness up with yoga and Pilates sessions, plus the occasional set of circuits for strength training.  

WtnMel - I’ve bought a few presents that were on Black Friday deals, but only ones that I’d intended to buy anyway, and that I knew had been genuinely reduced. I agree that most of the so called bargains are nothing of the kind, but just a marketing strategy as you say. We haven’t received our Radio Times yet this week, it used to arrive every Tuesday, but over the last few months it’s often been not delivered until Thursday or Friday.  One week it was over a week late, arriving on the Friday of the week it covered. They are obviously having problems (I expect you’ll have seen their email apologising for delivery delays) and I don’t suppose it will get any better in the run up to Christmas. Good news about Margaret’s eye test, it certainly did feel a lot colder yesterday. As I’ve mentioned before we have already succumbed to running tights, long sleeve tops, gloves and buffs on our runs. I also wear a headband to keep my ears warm, whereas Steve seems happy to let his semi-bald head frost over. Sorry to see you are still having problems with your knee (but as you know this is the crocked knee forum) you are wise rest it and if necessary seek physio advice and treatment. It’s so easy in this cold weather to make niggling injuries a lot worse by ignoring them. (Thanks for the information on bees knees, both those theories sound plausible)

JB - More good running from you, I feel you have a very analytical and structured approach to your running, and exercise in general. It obviously works judging by the results.
     We bought a smart TV about three or four years ago, which seemed a good idea at the time, but it’s been somewhat wasted on us because despite our good intentions to move with the times when we first purchased it we’ve never got around to using any of it’s “smart” features. At least that was until Amazon Prime got the rights to the rugby Autumn Nations Cup recently and (after our son got us logged on or whatever, muttering something about “old people”) we have been able to watch the various matches. I suppose we should now bite the IT bullet and investigate what other features our TV has. No rush though. 
    In an earlier post you mentioned that you have been watching the documentary series on Oscar Pistorius. I can remember watching him taking part in events with able bodied athletes and feeling a lot of respect for him at the time for achieving that outcome, but after the shooting of his girlfriend I saw a documentary (it must be some years ago now, I’m not sure exactly when) which made me view him in a different light. I did consider watching this latest documentary series, but the criticism around it put me off somewhat. What is your view now you have seen it - do you feel it was a balanced re-telling of events, and worth catching up on? 

HS - wow, you must have been really fit to take part in those fitness tests, and out-perform the “youngsters”. Good luck for Sunday’s virtual Bournemouth race with Sarah F.

Redmist -Haha, that’s a good story about your misadventures at Weely. Good job you managed to get that fire under control. Well done on last night’s TM 10k, I hope your shoulder and finger injuries improve soon, but take it easy when you return to those pull up bars.

Another reservoir run successfully completed yesterday, so just one more tomorrow then on to the last week of the C to 5k programme. I think we are planning to return to the reservoir for tomorrow’s run, if we get there early enough we’ll miss the dog walkers. Yesterday’s run was lovely, not too cold, very little wind and lots of wildlife to see. Apart from the usual sheep to dodge on the path we also passed a couple of llamas at close range looking very warm in their shaggy coats. They didn’t seem to happy to see us but didn’t react when we ran past, unlike the huge flock of geese hidden in the long grass to our right. They rose into the air as one, flying low over our heads complaining loudly at being disturbed, then swept across the surface of the reservoir just inches from the surface. Quite a magnificent sight. A family of rabbits completed our wildlife count, but later as we attempted to drive away from the reservoir we had to wait for a flock of sheep to wander across the road before we could move on. There wasn’t a soul in sight, so I don’t know how they got out of their field, or where they were going, but in their normal “follow my leader” fashion they just plodded on.
  • RM, I have to, with shame and embarrassment, admit that I never went to a festival! I did however get stopped by the police (actually more than once but this is the only one I'll disclose): my mate was driving back from Colchester to west Wales and I cadged a lift. It was 1973 I think: the night before Princess Anne's wedding. As we approached London we were flagged by police and searched. I think they had us down as terrorists. The search revealed nothing lethal, other than the dirty washing I was taking home.
    13 stone gives you more than 3.5 stone disadvantage over me on body weight exercises and I couldn't do what I do carrying that. But I'm sure as Rod Stewart would say - 'you wear it well'!

Aquarius, on the Pistorius documentary some of that criticism is valid as they have all sorts of family members lining up telling us what a great guy he was. But as it gets nearer the end,  a more sinister picture emerges. However, overall I thought it was masterly in terms of weaving the narrative around themes such as the courtroom drama, the personal stuff about OT, the issue of para sports, the influence of celebrity, the macho south African culture and all sorts of other interesting stuff. I'd thoroughly recommend it - but it's over 5 hours in 4 parts so it's a marathon not a sprint. (It's not my favourite sport documentary - the one on Maradonna last year has that accolade. If ever there was a flawed genius, he the one. But what a player!)

We've just bought ourselves an Amazon Fire stick. Funnily enough this is partly because of the rugby. And then I saw that SC4 are (apparently) covering the Wales v England match free to air - and presumably with the bonus of a Welsh language commentary. As previously stated I am a Grade A anorak!

WtnMel, on the subject of fashions, do you remember tank tops? corduroy jackets were also very popular. I once had a pair of green trousers, really awful thinking about it.
    Take care with your right knee, I would definitely see a sports physio if it doesn't improve. It will only get worse if you continue running on it without treatment etc. With my knee it was menisci tears, and you know how long it's taken me to get to my current level of fitness.
    Good news that Margaret's eye test went ok.
    It was definitely much colder yesterday, so I wore two tops, cap, gloves but still in shorts. I usually manage to run throughout the winter in shorts. In my younger days, I ran in vest and shorts, no matter how cold the temperature. Wasn't Wellard a dog in EastEnders years ago?  

Columba, good to hear from you again, and that you are still running and doing the not a park run regularly. Getting slower doesn't matter, getting out and doing it is the main thing. Our running club started up a not a park run challenge a few weeks after the first lock down, and Sarah and I have run them all. Saturday will be week 26, and we will be doing it slower than usual, as we are doing the virtual Bournemouth 10 mile race on Sunday.
    Hope your hill reps went well yesterday evening. 

JB, thanks, those basic fitness tests were fun for me, because I was much faster in those days. Your mention of the 1.5 miles being a test of fitness rang a bell with me afterwards. I think the fitness tests were 1.5 miles and the pass time was 9.5 minutes for the younger runners, and more for the older ones. In those days, that was easy for me, but it did show that many of the younger service men and women weren't as fit as they should be. I think the police also use that as a yardstick, but am not sure. Did you ever do the bleep test? I think it was 20 metres backward and forward, with the bleeps getting quicker with each level. It was always challenging to attempt to get to the highest level. 
    My Vo2max is just for running. When I was attending spinning sessions before the lockdown, I never thought to check on that. I'm sure that it would have been much lower than for running though. That's interesting about the top level cyclist running out of steam in a running 5k. He was obviously super fit for cycling, which didn't transfer into running. Talking about cycling, a tune has just come on the radio which was one that we used to spin to. "Rock a bye Baby" I don't' know who it was by, but the instructor seemed to like it!
    That's surprising that your rowing Vo2max for rowing is similar to your running. You must have good all round fitness.
    I'm resisting getting a smart tv, as I wouldn't know how to use most of the functions. I will eventually have to get one when the existing one "gives up the ghost" It must be at least 9 years old, but has Freeview which is all I need. I try not to watch too much TV, as some programmes can become addictive.

Redmist, your experience at the Weely Festival sounded really hair raising! Thankfully it seemed that nobody was caught up in the fire. Hells Angels were scary, normally drunk or high on drugs.
    That's an impressive 10k time on the TM.

Aquarius, I haven't bought anything in the Black Friday deals which are definitely a con. Many items were cheaper a few weeks ago, and will be cheaper again when the deals are over. I'm bombarded with email deals from the various running companies for trainers, tops etc which aren't any cheaper.
    I remember watching Oscar Pistorius running on the track and being amazed at his speed. I haven't been tempted to watch the latest documentary, because I've lost all respect for him.
    I was fit in those days but when I moan about my current pace Sarah keeps reminding me that I'm nearly 75!😒 Thanks for your encouragement for Sundays 10 mile virtual race. It won't be that fast a pace, as without any other runners to chase etc, it will be difficult to run hard the whole way. We will probably run the last mile as fast as possible by racing each other.
    Your reservoir runs sound quite adventurous, with all the various wild life. It's good that you only have one more run round the reservoir, before moving on to the next week of couch to 5k.

Yesterday was a solo 6 mile road run, recovering from Wednesdays hill session.

• HS, when someone who is nearly 75 writes that he has done a 6 mile run as a 'recovery run' you know that he is still (super) fit! That would be my ambition.

Today - an absolutely glorious day. Mild, windless and lovely light. The prom was rammed with people, many of them runners. I bumped into someone who is membership sec for a local club - he said that membership was booming. How great to hear. The only downside was that this would have been a perfect day for a parkrun - although I reckon my local course would have to accommodate a record number of runners. 

Anyway, I responded to the conditions by belting out a 21.42 - my fastest 3 miles this year. The last mile was 7.00 as I battled with my training partner (he won). The WAVA was 72.9% and I'll settle for that (for now).

I'm afraid this clears the day for slumping on the settee watching too much rugby and football.

PS retro fashion note: I too had a pair of green 'loons' (trousers) which I used to wear with my stack heeled blue suede shoes. Also in those days army surplus was all the rage. I had this huge great-coat which when wet weighted more than me. One day, I dried it out by the electric fire and a scorch mark ensured. I told my mates that the coat was so authentic the scorch mark was from a world war 2 flamethrower!
  • HS - I agree with John about your fitness, you must be delighted with it after that long lay off you had a couple of years ago. It just goes to show what consistent and structured training can achieve. How long is it now until your birthday? It's such a shame that Covid has curtailed everyone's birthday celebrations this year, but perhaps you may be able to have a socially distanced coffee with some of your running partners? I've lost track of what the latest restrictions are, and will be after next week, as there have been so many changes recently.

JB - when I read about all you fashionistas I wish it was possible to go back in time and see you all in your pomp. With all the doom and gloom at the moment it would certainly be an antidote to all that. In my imagination you are all standing in a line proudly displaying your latest fashion acquisitions, I also imagine you all with long hair - am I right? ;) (Great idea to pass off the scorch mark on your greatcoat that way)
    A fantastic run (and WAVA) from you today, at this rate you'll be wanting to leave our little group and find more exalted company that are as speedy as you. Enjoy the rugby and football today, you've earned that treat.

We had a very chilly reservoir run this morning, which we managed without stopping, but with very little feeling in our hands. On the way over there we noticed all the fields were white with frost, which didn't bode well for the run as the reservoir is quite exposed and chilly at the best of times. However although it was very cold and frosty (the usual puddles we encounter on the path around the reservoir were frozen over) there was no wind, and although the dog walkers were out this morning we didn't encounter too many, so all in all it was a good run.
    Yesterday we were told that our granddaughter (who spends half her week with us and her father, and the other half with her mother) has been in contact with a child who has tested positive for Covid, so she had to be collected from school immediately and is now self isolating with her mother for the next two weeks. Fortunately she is not displaying any symptoms herself so far (although I realise that doesn't necessarily mean anything) but as she was living at our house when she was in contact with this child we are anxiously waiting to see if we develop any symptoms ourselves. It's Steve's birthday today, so it's put a bit of a damper on the day, but having said that I'm sure if England put in a good performance today that will cheer him up :)

JB, thanks! I'm sure that you will maintain your fitness into your seventies.
    A lovely day here too, and we saw several other runners in the forest and a few dog walkers. I'm sure that you are correct in that once parkruns are back on again, they will be overwhelmed by everyone wanting to do them again.
    Well done for your 72.9% WAVA, very impressive.
    I never had blue suede shoes, but had a pair of grey ones. I remember the army surplus gear, and other similar outfits, which had people walking around in Admiral and other uniforms. I like the great coat anecdote.

Aquarius, my birthday is a week tomorrow, so I will miss out on the 75 age category for tomorrows virtual Bournemouth 10 mile race. Under the new level 2 restrictions we will be  able to meet in a bubble of six, but only outdoors.  Probably we will do a birthday run and possibly have some wine and cake in the Leisure Centre car park. We did this for Sarah H's birthday a year ago, but I'm not sure about mine. Every year since my 70th, about a dozen of us have met up for an evening meal, in the village, but of course, that is out of the question now.
    I might post a photo of me on here wearing a pin stripe suit purchased in one of the many boutiques in London. I was 21 at the time, and the photo was taken when I was on holiday on the Norfolk Broads with 3 friends. It's in glorious black and white.
    It wasn't too cold this morning and Sarah F, Mike and I did a leisurely pace 5k, as Sarah and I are running the 10 miles tomorrow.
    Sorry to hear that your Granddaughter has been in contact with a positive Covid sufferer. Fingers crossed that you and Steve haven't been affected. Happy birthday Steve, and hope you have a good a birthday as possible in the circumstances.

As I said earlier, an easy pace 5k this morning, and the 10 miler tomorrow.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Columba - well done re the hill reps. I've recently re-discovered my long compression socks so might be tempted to wear those next time I run .. although I might swap my shorts for tracksters!

Redmist - I'd forgotten about the fires at Weeley. I seem to recall it was hot and dry at the time and there were a spate of fires and the fire brigade having to be called in? Well done re that 54:15 10K on the treadmill.

Aquarius - I emailed about one Radio Times not turning up and having to buy a copy and they said they would extend my subscription for one extra week .. might be worth doing something similar if you haven't already? I have seen the emails apologising for delivery delays and also the one giving the dates when they expect to publish the issues leading up to xmas and new year. I've been wearing my long-sleeved thermal top under my running t-shirt but I haven't yet felt the need to root out my thermal top that goes over my t-shirt and has roll-down sleeves to save wearing gloves. Re your smart tv, I know it's boring but my advice would be to read the manual and discover those 'hidden' features you've been missing out on :) Well done re another reservoir run. I've got photos from my "weekend hippie" days wearing tie-dye t-shirts and with long hair. But what about yourself? Were you into mini skirts? or maybe cheesecloth blouses and long skirts? I think we should be told :) Glad to hear your most recent reservoir run went well, despite it being cold. Fingers crossed neither you or Steve develop any symptoms after being in contact with your grand-daughter.

HS - I do remember tank tops but don't recall ever wearing one. However, a group of us did make some trips to Kensington Market and I came home one day proudly wearing my new afghan coat. Yes, Wellard was a dog in Eastenders (I only know this because my friend Alan used to watch it). He started referring to us as being "well 'ard" playing golf in cold weather and it's obviously rubbed off on me. My 10 year old Sony Bravia tv is decidedly 'dumb' - all the smart facilities are thanks to my Panasonic blu-ray recorder. Early birthday wishes from me and I hope you can manage some sort of socially-distanced celebration to mark the day next week.

JB - re your comment to HS about his recovery run .. I've posted a comment a couple of times in the past on the club's FB page when someone has advertised "planning a run at the weekend - just chatty pace - 9:00 to 9:30mm pace) pointing out that for some of us, that pace would be a sprint. Well done re your fastest 3ml run this year. I still have a pair of green corduroy trousers lurking in my wardrobe - I wonder if they'll ever get worn other than at a fancy-dress party? (they 'ought' to be ditched next time I have a de-clutter - no guarantees that will happen though!).

Margaret's son Ed came over yesterday to help me clear the furniture from the conservatory ready for the decorators who are coming back on 11th Dec. So the spare room is now full - and the dining room has some extra stuff in it. Having moved the furniture out has set us thinking of ways of re-arranging things when it goes back post-decorating. We're mulling over ways of making more use of the spare room (maybe a study for me) so definitely worth thinking about.

I noticed my knee a bit yesterday when we moved the furniture - no pain, just I was aware of it. So I may try a tentative jog tomorrow morning to see how it reacts. I'm playing golf on Friday but even if my knee isn't right, I don't think it will be affected by it (the problem seems to be when it's load-bearing rather than when walking or running).

I've done that 'cull' I mentioned of the recordings on the Humax. Gone are all the Bond films which starred Roger Moore (Mr Smirk), George Lazenby (Milk Tray man?), Timothy Dalton and some other actor whose name I've forgotten - I've just kept the Sean Connery ones. Also gone are some "vaguely interested in" programmes (documentaries etc.) and a whole bunch of "Heroes" which I remember watching first time around (2006?). I was enjoying them when I had time but having read online how the show got affected by the writer's strike and then was summarily cancelled and storylines were left hanging, I've decided not to bother wasting any more time on them. As a result, the Humax now has almost 40% free space on the hard drive. 

Here's a photo of when I was young and had hair to go with the tie-dye t-shirt ..

• Mel, great photo! Could you still get into the trousers you mentioned? I used to have a 29 inch waist so no chance at all for me.

Aq, sorry to hear about the possible Covid infection - fingers crossed. I did indeed had longish hair but not too long. (When I worked at Sainsbury's - the old fashioned where I used to be on the cheese cutting counter - I was required to get a haircut or lose the job. The job went; the hair stayed. But is largely gone now!)  The rugby was a classic game for anyone who likes to see the ball kicked a long way up in the air! Best described as an arm-wrestle of a match? Perhaps the France game next week will be the genuine classic we all yearn for,

HM, don't know which I'm looking forward to more: the photo or the race report!

No run for me today - the sore Achilles syndrome will take a day or so to wear off.
  • Good morning everyone,

WtnMel, thanks for your early birthday wishes.
    Hope your knee was ok during this mornings run!
    That's a very impressive hair style which is definitely hippy. I believe you said that your hair is naturally curly, so didn't have to have a perm.
    One of my former bosses, who had very closely cropped hair, once brought into the office a picture of him with his hair half way down his back. He modelled himself on Robert Plant.

JB, that's interesting, you lost a job, rather than have a hair cut. I remember in my first office, the boss remarking on my bright clothes, but actually complimented me, saying that it was a refreshing change from boring suits.
    Hope your Achilles soon recovers.

The virtual Bournemouth 10 mile road race went well, and I was pleased with my 1.36, but even more pleased that Sarah finished ahead of me in1.35.02. We were running together until the start of mile 8, where I started to feel the pace. Sarah was on schedule for a pb, so I told her to go ahead, and it was a pb. 
    A photo will follow shortly, not of us running, but the promised one in a trendy suit.
    A rest day today and tomorrow.

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - it appears I can still just about squeeze into the green cords mentioned .. which is presumably why they didn't get thrown out last time I had a cull of my clothes. I did a mechanical engineering apprenticeship when I left school. I had long-ish hair then and the rule was you had to wear a hat (with attached hair net thingy) when operating machines for safety purposes. Stupid thing was, the guy who had short back and sides was in more danger than the rest of us because when he leant over the lathe, his long on top, brylcreemed hair would flop forward over his eyes. But apparently they didn't see the problem with that because he had (cough) 'short' hair. Sorry to hear about the sore achilles - hope it recovers soon.

HS - yes, my hair was naturally curly when I was younger and I was the bane of my Mum's life as she used to have to go and get her hair permed regularly. My Dad's hair was curly so I obviously got his genes. And you may recall I discovered in the last lockdown when my hair grew long, it is still curly given half a chance! Well done re your virtual 10ml Bournemouth race which I saw on Strava - impressive pace too for a 10ml run. And well done to Sarah for managing a PB. Very trendy suit you are wearing in that photo!

I ran this morning and it was all about getting round without any problem rather than the speed. I picked a route where I could double back easily if needed but all was well. So pleased the knee twinge was just a short-term thing. Margaret had gone out for her walk a few minutes before I set off in the opposite direction and I saw her ahead of me towards the end of my run wearing her distinctive yellow coat. I crossed the road because I wasn't sure if she knew it was me approaching her - and just my luck that a car appeared and there was no path there so I had to hop onto the verge to get out of the way. But Margaret had recognised me and wondered what I was playing at! ;) I'm planning to go out for another run on Wed morning so I can space my exercise out this week (run, rest, run, rest, golf).
    edited November 2020
    Mel - good to hear about the knee. Well done on the run. It's really cold here and definitely not tempted to run, so a double well done if it's that cold where you are.

HS - really good run. Did you win your category? As for the photos - they are amazing and so much of their time. Being black and white makes them even more so and adds to the effect. Amazing ( an appropriately quasi hippy word).

You two (plus Aquarius's interest in male hair length and fashion!) prompted me to dig into a huge bag of photos that we've got buried in a wardrobe. I can't rival Mel for hair or HS for the fashion I'm afraid. The photos I was looking for I simply couldn't find (isn't it always the way?)

So to compensate, (or double the pain) the two I've provided are

1. my school photo taken was I was about 12;

2. One taken at my 21st birthday with a hat (it was Xmas 1975) and wearing something that was of its time in terms of lapel size and tie! 

• My photos have posted themselves again 🤔
    Will reply to your posts tomorrow. 
  • Good morning everyone,

WtnMel, I remember your photo of when you hadn't been able to get a haircut because of the lockdown. It was definitely curly!
    Thanks re the 10 mile; I was disappointed to only come 5th in the 70+ age category. I am wondering though whether everyone was honest with their declared times, and what their course was like. Jane, as expected, was first in the 60+ category, and won a £20 voucher for Runderwear.
    That trendy suit, like most boutique products, was expensive but "cheap and nasty" if you know what I mean. Didn't last long before it started to "fall apart!"
    Glad to hear that your knee didn't cause any problems during yesterdays run!
    Hope you have a good run tomorrow.

JB, thanks, I was quite pleased with my race time, but disappointed to discover that I was only 5th in the 70+ category. First was in the amazing time of 1.19. That's a fraction under 8 minute miling, which is exceptional for someone in that category. I think I will check out what his WAVA would have been. High in the 70%'s I would think. Mine was 66.26%
    Thanks for your photo's. That suit and tie were definitely trendy! I can imagine Matt Hancock wearing one like it, instead of those pink Slim Jim ones which it appears are all he has.
    I was 21 in my photos too, but it wasn't my birthday. I was on holiday on the Norfolk Broads in May with 3 friends, and the photos were taken in an abandoned railway station. It was odd really, that back in those days, we used to dress up when going out, whereas nowadays, it's all casual gear.

Looking forward to seeing Aquarius's photos in her flower power outfits.

Today is another rest day, and tomorrow back to structured training again.
  • HS - as I've said a number of times, the standard in Hampshire (and Dorset!) is very high. Still a very creditable performance. (I couldn't run that 1.19 now either!)
    edited December 2020
    Tried my 1.5 mile run in the quest for sub 10.30. Managed a 10.29 so pleased with that on another rare windless day. Pacing is quite a challenge. Cleary that distance can't be a flat-out sprint but you can't 'leave anything in the tank'. I was a tad slower on the second half, but to be a second off the target suggests that the pacing was OK. (AG 71.94%)
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

JB - as I mention below, my right knee made itself known again this morning. I remember having a suit with wide lapels and an some equally wide ties to go with it. Well done for managing 10:29mm pace on that run - I managed 9:40mm pace in August when taking part in my club's 5K handicap race but I've slowed dramatically since then (today's run was 11:30mm pace for comparison!).

HS - that's very strange the way the photos have appeared a second time but this time, full-size? I'd be inclined to start stalking those other runners to compare their recent training with their 'result' for that 10ml race - I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or more wasn't completely honest. Well done to Jane for winning her age category prize - I hope you've asked to see her Runderwear prize when she's got it. Being a 'cheeky monkey', I know I would 😉😆 As mentioned above to JB, the knee still isn't quite right. I remember the days when stuff was cheap and nasty and would fall apart quickly - it's probably the same nowadays depending on where you shop. One reason I'm a lover of Craghoppers trousers with the 'lifetime guarantee' (not for normal wear and tear - but does cover manufacturing issues).

I spoke to soon re my right knee. I only ran 4mls this morning and it felt fine most of the way round. But around the 3.5ml point I noticed it wasn't 'right' - I could still run but it wasn't completely comfortable putting weight on it. I did some stretching yesterday - first time for ages - and the back of my right knee was a bit sore afterwards, making me think I overdid the stretching of my hamstring. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed my knee today is as a result of yesterday - time will tell.

Margaret and I are celebrating our anniversary of first meeting each other today - 18 years to the day since we met at a pub for a drink and chat, after emailing each other for a while. We've agreed that even though 'we' are now '18' and can be classed as adults, we've no intention of growing up. I'll be cooking us a meal later - moussaka - and have decided the starter is a glass of prosecco (Margaret didn't complain about that).

Playing golf with Alan on Fri and I've bought myself some lined, waterproof trousers from Craghoppers for walking and/or playing golf in during the Winter. I think I mentioned the problems with sizing? - these are the 3rd pair and finally, they fit properly. My 'usual' trousers from Craghoppers are 36" regular (R) - but for these waterproof ones, I tried 36" R which were too small as were the 38"R ones - finally, the 40"R ones are the ones that fit. But I know I've not put on any weight in the meantime! :)
  • Afternoon all,

I can’t believe its four days since I posted on here. Where does the time go to? 
    Before I go any further I have a rather shame-faced apology to make. I haven’t any photos of me as a teenager, in fact there’s quite a gap between photos of me as a young child and my wedding pictures. I can vaguely remember a friend taking a photo of me (age 15/16?) but I turned my head as she took it and when it was developed it was just a blur. The only other one I can remember was a really good one taken in the school yard during our final week. I was with my friends and we were in high spirits, promising each other we’d keep in touch. One girl had had the foresight to bring her camera into school that day, and she took a photo of us laughing and fooling about. It was a really good picture when it was developed, but there was only one copy (if you remember at that time you had to use up all the film in your camera, then put it in to the chemists to get developed, and keep your fingers crossed that your photos had come out alright, and were not just blank ones. Any prints had to ordered from the negatives, which was a bit of a bother). I remember a few of us said we’d like copies, but they never materialised, then we all lost touch. I often wish I had a copy of that photo. I’m feeling really guilty now having seen all your photos, so I’ll have another rummage in the bag of photos I inherited from my mum to see if I can find anything suitable to post on here. As regards your photos - what can I say? What fine specimens of men you were (and doubtless still are). Mel looking very cool, and just a little bit cheeky (and that hair! Very 60s). HS what a great photo - you look so mean and moody, quite like a male model in a magazine, and very artistically staged against the broken window panes. JB - are you sure they are both photos of you? School photos were never very flattering as I recall, but my word what a stunner you turned out to be. ;)

WtnMel _ good to hear that your knee problem hasn’t prevented you from running. It might be an idea to keep an eye on it though as these things can flare up again out of the blue. I hope today’s run went well. More decorating? You’re a glutton for punishment, what an upheaval just before Christmas, although I suppose it’ll all be finished by then and everything back in it’s place. I remember watching Heroes - was it really that long ago? 
    I've just seen your recent post, and I'm sorry to see that your knee still isn't right, gentle stretching should help, if not perhaps a trip to the physio? Congratulations on your 18th "meeting" anniversary, I hope you both enjoy your meal tonight. Good luck for Friday's golf match, hope the weather will be ok.

JB - another good run from you, I take it your Achilles is better now? Well done for breaking the 10.30 barrier, and with a good WAVA. 

HS - I see you were (quite rightly) pleased with your time of 1.36 in the Bournemouth 10 miler, but read in a later post that you are disappointed to be only the 5th fastest in the 70+ age category. There must have been a lot of very talented 70+ runners in that race, are the results verifiable? Screen shots of Strava for instance? I can’t help being a bit suspicious of those results, knowing how hard you train and how fast you are.

Another very cold and frosty run yesterday at the reservoir, but completed without problems. We’ve another two 30 min runs to do this week then that is the programme completed. I hope to get up to Chopwell Woods after that to recce the 5k virtual trail race that I’ve entered (to be done at any time, and as many times, as desired during December with the best time uploaded). I think I’ll have to dig out my trail/XC shoes for that as snow is on the way apparently. It was certainly cold enough for snow on Tuesday at the reservoir, a bit slippery underfoot in places and frozen puddles again. Lots of wildlife again too, we disturbed two separate flocks of geese in a scary scene reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds, and had to contend with two flocks of sheep across the road when arriving. Funnily enough, no matter how cold it gets nothing seems to put off the anglers, each to their own I suppose. 

So far so good re Covid symptoms in our household. Nothing to report yet, although my sinuses are causing me some pain, but that is probably just down to running in cold temperatures. While our granddaughter is self isolating our son is trying to home school her over the phone, which isn’t easy as he doesn’t get in from work until 6pm, and she is too tired to do very much by then as it is almost her bedtime. Unfortunately her mother can’t do much through the day as she is working from home. Another week to go and then hopefully the gd will be able to return to school (just in time for her spelling test - 45 words :o )
  • Mel, sorry to hear about the knee. I tend to 'live with' my little injuries but I'm sure it would be more sensible to get them checked out......which is what I guess you'll do with your knee.  Congrats on your anniversary. We've got our 42nd (wedding) coming up on a few weeks and then just after Xmas 48 years since we met. And they said it wouldn't last!
    Enjoy your meal - at least you can't complain about the chef if you don't.
    Just a slight correction - my run was 10.29 over 1.5 miles = sub (just!) 7 mm.
    Good luck with the golf. Looks like we're due for some rough weather so the trousers will be useful.  (As for the 'fit', I've got various pairs that are just too tight or just too loose as I am somewhere between 32 and 34, depending on what i had for dinner! My all time 10K PB was achieved whilst running in a pair of shorts that slipped so badly I had to run long holding them up! Had they been tighter I might have broken the world record, you never know,)

I thought that by posting my embarrassing school photo it might encourage one or two others to do so?

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Popping back briefly as Margaret will be wanting her dinner soon - will do a proper reply tomorrow.

JB - I'll get my knee checked out with the physio if it doesn't clear up of it's own accord. 7mm pace for 1.5mls - now that is impressive! Not sure I could manage that for a few hundred yards, let alone that distance. I didn't want these new waterproof trousers to be too tight, hence having to go up a couple of sizes from my normal 36" .. but even though they're 40" they're about right and I have a belt to wear with them to keep them from getting too loose. Yes, I think I'll be grateful of the lining in them on Fri.

I'm up for the challenge of posting an embarrassing photo of my younger self so there should be one attached to this post. I don't know when it was taken - it looks school-ish with the shirt, tie and blazer combo but I look too young for senior school so I'm guessing I'd been dressed in my Sunday best for the photo?

• Aquarius, our previous posts crossed. Your weather sounds pretty brutal: I don't think we've had the first frost of the winter as yet down here. Mind you, it's foul at there today.
    I 'manage' the Achilles with 2 or 3 days rest between runs. As for the photos, I know what you mean about finding it hard to locate any. Thanks for the kind comments; I'm not sure anyone has ever deployed that adjective to describe me before! I did shed a lot of weight in my teens. I also shed my glasses which meant that I spent most of the time bumping into things!
    Sorry to hear of concerns regarding you gd. We had another one in A&E with a head injury! This occurred at the 'other' granddad's house and I feel almost equally sorry for him. All OK now though.

Mel, that's just a lovely photo: so fresh-faced and full of boyish optimism. Very much of it's time too. I like the reference to 'Sunday best'; as with many such terms it's fading from our language.

My only 'news' is that I've got an interview for a (very) part time role with the local council. I only mention it because I thought my days of job interviews were in the rear view mirror; I think my last one was around 10 years ago. I could now list all the interviews I've flunked but will spare you the pain! This one is via zoom at 9.20 pm. That's bed time!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Doing the 'proper' reply post I promised ..

Aquarius - what a shame you don't have any photos of your younger self. I was quite looking forward to seeing the fresh-faced version of you. I managed to re-connect with someone I went about with during my late teens and she was bemoaning the fact she had no photos of herself from then. So she got a nice surprise when I scanned some photos of us out and about and sent them to her. Yes, I do remember the 'old days' of sending your film to be developed (I used to use Truprint as you got a free film sent you by return). I'm not doing the upcoming decorating - Margaret is getting the ladies back who did the kitchen & dining room. My only involvement is moving the furniture out and buying the paint. Our anniversary meal was nice, considering it was just a 'ready meal'. Mind you, that's probably because it wasn't just a ready meal .. it was an M&S ready meal :) Well done re that reservoir run and I hope your recce of the woods goes okay. 

JB - I remember being forced into Sunday best until I reached the age I could start to decide for myself. I detested having to wear a tie when I was younger and it got to the stage where I refused to wear one to my cousin's wedding and didn't go. I 'think' she's forgiven me now - but wouldn't mind betting she still remembers the rebellious little git (choose your own adjective) I was at the time. That behaviour carried on into my working life - I rebelled against having to wear a tie by wearing the same one every day for months. Good luck with your interview. I think mine are over as well but Margaret has put me on to an organisation called Ability.net who provide IT help for older people needing assistance (my background in IT would come in useful). They won't be taking on anyone new until covid has gone away but as I would need to be vetted for a role like that, I wouldn't mind betting I would need to have some sort of interview as well. You're correct of course - 9:20pm is the time we're winding down and getting ready for bed!

The weather doesn't look ideal for tomorrow's golf. It will be cold regardless - but we may be lucky and get away without getting too wet. I'll wear those new waterproof trousers anyway as with being out for up to four hours, the chances of keeping dry are probably small.

The window cleaner has been this morning and cleaned the conservatory roof and cleared the gutters of leaves. I could probably do it myself (would probably need some sort of Heath-Robinson devices to be invented). But Margaret prefers to 'get a man in' and me stay safe on the ground.

I've got a zoom meeting this afternoon (Science & Technology) and another on Mon morning (Coffee & Chat). And I have my book group meeting on Tue. As Margaret has been using zoom a lot as well and we've both got a bit frustrated with meetings timing out, we've bitten the bullet and bought ourselves a monthly licence. We're hoping it will only be for a few months before we can start meeting up again and we can cancel the subscription.