Race to the Stones Footwear & Hydration Vest Recommendations?

Yep, entered for the 100km non-stop next year, being my 50th year on the planet.

On the shoe front the inov8 brand has caught my eye. 
So instead of transferring from my Brooks or Saucony road shoes to the trails, i'm thinking of trying inov8.

Am i correct in thinking the TRAILTALON 290 V2 is probably best suited for me for this race, being a heavy runner of 16 stone?

Also how does sizing for this compare to Brooks and Saucony, which i wear an 11 in?

I only ask, as the nearest inov8 stockist to me is some 30+ miles away, so i'm going to have to purchase online.

Perhaps there is a different shoe from a different brand you would recommend? 

For the Hydration vest, i have a 46" chest, so am limited on some models, but again the inov8 ultra pro looks good, along with the Ultimate Direction offerings, the Ultra or Mountain model perhaps? 

Any recommendation / advice is most welcome. 

Comments

• I still have an ultra in them, but I used a lot of the trail running on Nike Terra Kiger 3 and lil peep shoes here (https://lilpeepmerch.net/product-category/shoes/). They have a solid tread and a lot of coating without being overweight. I have also picked up the Nike Wildhorse 3 to replace them to see how the two vary.

Nike's never struggled with me so generally I stick with them with every running shoe so that I can't worry about the Solomons, HOKAs or Inov 8s. I know the additional traction is very helpful on the road, so any shoe you get is probably better than the Ghost. If you want to adhere to this brand, Brooks even makes the Cascadia.
  • ArebaKhan said:
    I still have an ultra in them, but I used a lot of the trail running on Nike Terra Kiger 3 and lil peep shoes here (https://lilpeepmerch.net/product-category/shoes/). They have a solid tread and a lot of coating without being overweight. I have also picked up the Nike Wildhorse 3 to replace them to see how the two vary.

Nike's never struggled with me so generally I stick with them with every running shoe so that I can't worry about the Solomons, HOKAs or Inov 8s. I know the additional traction is very helpful on the road, so any shoe you get is probably better than the Ghost. If you want to adhere to this brand, Brooks even makes the Cascadia.
    Thank you, after some fitting, i think i'm sold on the Brooks Caldera for footwear, and the Salomon adv skin 12 for the hydration vest. 
  • I actually have an ultra in them, however, I utilized a ton of the path running on Nike Terra Kiger 3 and nba youngboy shoes at (https://nbayoungboymerch.net/category/shoes/). They have a strong track and a ton of coverage without being overweight. I have likewise gotten the Nike Wildhorse 3 to supplant them to perceive how the two fluctuate. Nike's never battled with me so, for the most part, I stay with them with each running shoe so I can't stress over the Solomons, HOKAs or Inov 8s. I realize the extra foothold is useful out and about, so any shoe you improve than the Ghost. In the event that you need to hold fast to this brand, Brooks even makes the Cascadia.
  • > @portlanders said:
    > Thank you, after some fitting, i think i'm sold on the Brooks Caldera for footwear, and the Salomon adv skin 12 for the hydration vest. 

I appreciate it was a few months when you posted this but I find myself in a similar position. I'm currently looking to update my inov8 vest to the Salomon adv skin and wondered what your thoughts are. I won't need it so much for runs over probably 3 hours but because of needing to carry a jacket etc on the trails. The Salomon looks more refined than the inov8 and looks a nice close fit.

And strangely, how are the Brooks Caldera working out for you? I have just worn out a pair of Brooks Cascadia which I loved and debating what to replace them with now the design has changed, I could be tempted by another pair or the Caldera.

Any comments welcome!
  • dowg said:
    > @portlanders said:
    > Thank you, after some fitting, i think i'm sold on the Brooks Caldera for footwear, and the Salomon adv skin 12 for the hydration vest. 

I appreciate it was a few months when you posted this but I find myself in a similar position. I'm currently looking to update my inov8 vest to the Salomon adv skin and wondered what your thoughts are. I won't need it so much for runs over probably 3 hours but because of needing to carry a jacket etc on the trails. The Salomon looks more refined than the inov8 and looks a nice close fit.

And strangely, how are the Brooks Caldera working out for you? I have just worn out a pair of Brooks Cascadia which I loved and debating what to replace them with now the design has changed, I could be tempted by another pair or the Caldera.

Any comments welcome!
    Hi,

The adv skin 12 i find to be the best fitting vest I've had, it's snug but not tight, and doesn't move against me if you know what i mean. It has a large pockets, which are easily accessible - only had a few runs in it, but very impressed and pleased. 

I've had the Cascadia and found them too stiff for me. The Caldera's are more flexible and has more cushioning. The caldera's are i think better suited to mixed terrain due to the cushioning they are equally comfortable on tarmac as they are trail. 

Sorry, i've had limited running this year due to covid, but both the adv skin 12, and the caldera's i'm very pleased with. Although the adv skin 12 would only be used on the longest of runs, it's just too much for distances under marathon distance imho. The caldera is my go-to trail shoe and have no intention of looking at other trail shoes it's that good.