Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Enjoyed the date/fine/twinge story, SG 😆

Pretty tired yesterday, so took it easy on the bike with a 45 minute ‘primer’ session rather than the usual 1h - 1h15 thrashing. Followed up with a couple of sets of weights - squats, deads and some push presses.

Excitingly, today was the first day of THE PLAN! P&L 30 - 40M 12 week 5k plan - somewhat different to the 70-85M half plan of last year 😆. But surprisingly, any given run looks quite long - from this vantage point at least.

6M with 6 x 12s hill sprints and 6 x 100m (ish) strides. Slightly ungenerous 8:30 average pace on the good old Apple Watch. I either need to get a new watch or stop moaning about it.

This session in the past has always been about sharpening up and some dynamic flexibility in the week after a race. But today it felt surprisingly like a full blown session. Still, really enjoyed it. 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Good progress getting on to a plan of any mileage SQ.

Although yesterday I had three days left to complete my challenge, I really wanted to put a proper dent in it. With 1,500m left I did 770 yesterday with a view to finishing it today, 10 days since the deer died and the wildlife have pretty much stripped the bugger bare. So yesterdays run, almost every downhill finished with me scaring of a Red Kite that was patiently trying to pick some sort of a meal out of the remains. Funny how the last week or more I've been amusing myself by monitoring this progress.

So on to today's run and the carcass had found its way onto the other side of the 8ft fence that runs along the hill. No way an animal could have done it so I assume someone had used the big stick next to it to pick it up and fling it over the fence! I suspect with a view to keeping the Red Kites away from the path. It was quite a sight though as I got pretty close each time before this massive bird decided to retreat over my head to the nearest suitable branch. Anyway enough of Wildlife on One. 

Todays run was an exact replica of the previous day, 10 miles, 770m and enough to take me 20m beyond the summit of Everest. Glad that's over and I look forward to injecting a bit more variety into the proceedings.

Bad timing but also had a Zwift race tonight in the team time trial, thankfully a short one but my legs felt surprisingly fresh.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Reggie - you looked well off at some stage.
    You did well for the elevations not to tweak something..like me!

Mini rest period therefore - day 3 now. It won't hurt - it's just unusual!

Mini dilemma tonight. Us "typical" footy fans can't help ourselves - and Wycombe are having a test re-introduction of fans.
    Only 1,000 got the invite - or more accurately 700 or so and 300 corporate johnny come latelys (where were they a few years ago?)
    I've weasled into the invites but have to decide whether a little walk and drive there and sitting in the cold for a couple of hours is a decent rehab option!

First game for 9months...so it's a 50-50 I think.
    I'll probably test a drive at lunch. That'll probably quickly tell me if it's on or off!
    The morning short walk was smoother than yesterdays.
  • Wand Winter Wildlife Watch :smiley:  Sure it wan't the "Beast of Bucks" taking a trip across the border???

Impressive effort to claw that one back Reg! I think you'll be surprised at how that climbing strength will help with speed after a few sessions of fast leg turnover.

SQ - sounds pretty positive. It's always a good feeling when you come back from injury - almost makes it worthwhile!

SG - nice to hear WWFC getting a mention on the news anyway!

Same old, same old for me - 8M hilly am yesterday then 5M hilly in the dark pm. Grounds a fair bit firmer at the moment though, which is nice :smile:
  • The Bus said:
    Grounds a fair bit firmer at the moment though, which is nice :smile:
    Noticed that myself. I was fearful that the winter mud had come and was here to stay but it does seem to have dried out a bit and the mud has firmed up and footfall is now compressing and flattening the paths so they are getting better rather than worse.
  • Raining now though 🙁
  • Still raining ...

It was one of those days when I didn't really want to run but know that if you skip those days then you start to skip more and more.
  • Yep - can’t say I’m massively looking forward to dragging my arse outside in a bit! Road as well, as the fields will be a quagmire after all the rain today. 

Hey ho, as our Lycra clad brethren say “winter miles make summer smiles” 😎
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I copped a dunking in my 10m run commute this morning, and was cold by the end. But better than having to isolate indoors for sure.

SG - you raced at Newbury racecourse recently? Im looking at the 1/2 in feb, but looks like a lot of turns and a narrow path? Might ot be ideal if multi distances are on there at the same time,?
  • I went out at lunch and found myself back on the hills but rather than running up and down the best one I slipped about in the mud on the ones I'd been avoiding.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Don't take it for granted  - hard to remember when you're in good nick. Easy to remember when you've missed a bit of time.

4 days rest then - my first due to niggles for 4-5 years at least and tested the water with a little 3miler.
    Still a bit tight, but enough mobility to make it feel like it was doing good rather than for the sake of it/forcing it - which is what i'm sure it'd have been like the early part of this week.

Feels good to get that in. Simple equation sometimes. Running going well = everything feels well.

Will see how the next few hours feel and consider either another 3mile doddle later today or a bit further tomorrow and progress as is sensible.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    TR - that Newbury course was an odd one. My fastest effort in my 4 distanced 5ks by a decent margin - 10secs or so, so the course and format of mixing with other races definitely worked better for me.  There was quite a continual overtaking of people - which for my "style" of racing worked excellently that day.
    Much better than Dorney where it was in effect a solo time trial and any overtaking was of people doing 9-10min miling possibly deep into long races. 
    Newbury always feels like you're more "Involved" too, as you can see people round different bends and even when you're coming out of the track you're still around loads of people marshalling or competing - but without ever feeling cramped.

A fair few bends but not in a way that feels too slow I'd say

It's totally flat, unless you count this tiny little short incline over about 5metres when you come back into the course.
    And there's plenty of space on the vast majority of the course. Maybe 200metres or so over the 5k loop that is narrowish?

The problem is that after seducing you in with a very nice smooth first 1k is that about 3k of the lap is on this weird trail sort of stuff. Not muddy as such but a strange surface.
    Now again - it did see my quickest 5k in this new way of racing but I can imagine over 4 laps that might become a little offputting.

Nice venue and event though - and you definitely strike me as a chap who has a fairly high threshold for not letting things reduce your time.
    If i'm fit and racing and we're still in this current climate by Feb I wouldn't say no to another effort there.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG  - thanks for that, ill sign up. Newbury is a ball ache to get to for me on a weekday but will be fine on a sunday. It'll be 6 weeks before Dorney mara, so slightly compromised due to mileage anyway. I was worried about 5k or 10k traffic, but if you ran a quick 5k there then im happy.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I dare say a smoother course would have been quicker - but yes from the limited options out there it's an all round decent experience.

Runthrough have in my opinion the best format - rolling start 2metres apart. That felt even more like a race than the MK groups of 12 version.
    That felt like a weird exhibition.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I would miss folks to chase in a 5k or 10k. Within reason i dont mind a marathon being in this format, as that is massively a controlled effort where only your own pace and effort matters. I would assume a 1/2 would be somewhere in the middle. At goodwood mara we went off in groups of 4 every 10 secs.
    That 1/2 is 10am, with 2 x 10k waves and a 5k wave to join in, so could get crowded.
  • I might make 1300 miles this year 😬 Impressed by all the hill running.

I have been excluded from the MK Winter Half which I’d hoped to do in a fortnight, due to my Tier 3-ness and the half being in Tier 2 country. I am building a good aerobic base at least, and did 50 miles the other week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's unlucky Muddy - although not as unlucky as anyone based in Slough (for tier reasons - not generally before anyone does that gag ;) )

If you look at the map, they're the only town for a long distance in all directions who are tier 3 - so you have nonsense like they can't join our club sessions, but people who are 1mile away can!

TR - the Runthrough are as close to "proper" racing as it gets and if you want more people to chase you just go off a little bit further back then your ability should have you lined up!

In the one I did at Newbury the order was probably quite close to spot on as I'm not sure I caught anyone who went off before me and I only was passed by 1 person - who I then passed later (even though he was on chip 8-10 seconds ahead in reality)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    The runthrough at GW went fastest off first, so i guess you coule either start further back as you say to have people to catch, or be brave and try to cling to some faster folks, which over 5 or 10k might pay dividends. Theres gains to be had from turning your mind off and simply following other runners.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Hang on a minute.

Wool, I didn't call you anything. Certainly not sonny. My inputs only appear to be a snipe if they run counter to what the reader does or thinks themselves. This is a huge factor. That's social media for you.

The point is, I came onto this thread because I could see that questions were being asked to which no one appeared to have the answer. Well, I had those answers. But those answers are in many cases not appreciated.

The issue with me becoming abrasive over the years is the frustration of having a solution to a problem, solved by my own efforts, being batted away as irrelevant or ignored as inconvenient to the readers own way of doing things.

It seems to me that the most obvious proof that my input is valid are the results I've obtained. But it seems that isn't enough. But then again, the reasons 'why' anyone posts here on any particular thread are not for reasons that cut any slack with me.

I came here as an independent operator and remain so. My mistake has been to assume that others are of the same mind, but I'd be wrong.

This thread is simple. Posters just say what their training is, talk races, mention Injuries and physio's, report races and talk shoes. Any of this will get the poster a great big safe pat on the back from all the others.
    Any other subject covers about 1% of the input, until I stick a spanner in the works. 

I'm not wrong, but within the framework of a forum thread, this forum thread, I'm clearly inappropriate. And it matters not if I happen to be correct. You guys just don't want to hear it. You aren't here to find out or discover. You are here for validation of one's self. 

And what matters here, is that those posters feel comfortable with their situation. That's all.

The financial planning stuff is for 99% of people a total switch off. Which is quite something considering that a continuous and adequate income stream is critical to one's entire existence.
    Expenses stop when you die not when you stop working for the money to cover them.

Instead, the majority just wing it. They look around and copy everyone else. Day to day, year to year. And somehow hope and expect it'll all turn out good.

And since the majority must be right, anyone like me who thinks otherwise is by default in the wrong. 

If what is happening to the majority right now is correct, then I'm relived to be in the wrong. That I get hammered for attempting to alert others to the danger, shows I'm probably better off somewhere else.

I'll try to conform to that view, but I have to admit, that I find the things other post on this thread most compelling. Really fascinating. I do worry for you guys, honestly.

🙂

• For the record I love Ric’s posts, especially the abrasive ones! 😂 I think this thread  and its contributors have long since matured beyond training advice however.  

Knowing what’s best and doing it, or indeed wanting to do it are two different things. I’d rather enjoy the moment than plan for the future whether that be training or saving.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Ric, when I first joined this forum I respected you and your views. Then I realised you were prone to personal attacks on other contributors and that was off-putting. Now you've completely gone full circle and your posts are only worth a read as a source of amusement for their ridiculous hubris and smug nature😁. Do you really think no-one else realises Nike are a business, property purchase has proved lucrative for the baby boom generation and pensions are part of financial planning? 

Let's stick to running though. What have you achieved in the last decade to justify your arrogance about training methods and how to perform optimally? Very few races and nothing spectacular when you have. Lots of the time out injured despite claiming to be an expert on training and racing to avoid injury🤔. Even at your peak, whilst you were obviously an very good runner, no moreso than a few others on here and not as good as Simon, Dachs etc. 

I'm sure there is a decent bloke deep in you; just please lose the personal attacks and constant criticism of others. 

This place is really there for chats and encouragement amongst like minded people. Sure we can all make constructive suggestions to help each other, you were once capable of that too, but lets keep it friendly and sociable or there will be no-one left on here for you to air your views too! 
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Has anybody here raced the St Albans 10k before? It’s one of the alternatives being given by the Hatfield 5 lot (rather than racing on the rearranged date of 27 Dec) and appeals to me the most out of all of the options.
  • Not done it myself but I did do 10k today at a sort of in between pace so not easy and not quite threshold. Just to try and see where I'm at. Ran 6:18 pace and it felt ok, was about MP effort I suppose. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Andrew; not done St Albans 10k but did their HM many years ago. Was a good run, but quite hilly from memory. If you want a fast time I'd stick with Hatfield if you don't mind racing on 27 Dec! Quite keen to do that one myself too as I did last year. It is a very dull course but, as I think Wool said a while back, doesn't really matter for a 5 miler where time is the focus. 

Club 10k TT back on for me again today and a big turnout for the socially distanced run. Lots of fast guys too so plenty of pace. Ended in 38'35 which was pleasing as it's a pretty hilly route in parts. Fastest guy did almoat exactly 36 running it as a tempo at HM pace (he's after sub 1'17 at Dorney HM next week) and a few more around my time. Def better than my 39'3x at Woodley 10k just over a month back on a very flat course. Did a 10k solo TT at Ascot a week ago too in 38'40, which was also encouraging. Am finding now though that each big effort seems to take longer to get over, which I guess is an age related issue! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Pete. If I had to predict you a 10k time I'd probably go 38:40 or so. Historically that seems your sweet spot!

AD - heard of it, but not done it.
    Will monitor that Hatfield one (presuming it's not sold out!)

5 miler yesterday, as after 4 rest days Mon-Thur it didn't seem right to insist on the usual Saturday rest day.
    Then followed up with 11 today.

Both runs felt better than the day before, so will take this week's 22 as a bit of an extreme cut back week and hope to hit near the usual numbers next week. But probably no faster stuff to make sure.

Hopefully just one of those random little glitches you're bound to get booting 60+ miles week in week out, year in year out.
  • Fingers crossed SG!

Nice one Pete - I'd be very happy with that, even on a flat course at the moment. (sorry - too much back patting???).

14.5 mile foggy, boggy slog today to make 50M and 5000+ft for the week.

I'm bored, so have been playing with my stats for the year. Since my return from that thorn issue, with the first full week back in June, I've averaged 47M and 5400ft per week for 26 weeks with 11 of the past 15 weeks over 50M. This would actually be a pretty solid block of training (by my standards) if more than just a handful had been actual speed sessions 😊  

I also checked out how many injuries have led to weeks where I haven't been able to run at all. Despite lots of niggles (mostly recurring physical issues caused by having a CAM deformity and a degenerative disc), it turns out that there are only 5 occasions in the 15 years of my spreadsheet.   Two of those were sciatica, one was being in hospital after a bike crash and one was that stoopid thorn, which means only once has a running injury actually completely stopped me running.  So (and without trying to tempt fate!!!!!) at 52, I'm still regularly running 50 mile weeks,  despite clearly not being sensible or clever enough to manage injuries. More importantly, I'm actually still enjoying running!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Nice one Bus.  
    As long as your running keeps you healthy, happy  and satisfied who is anyone to tell you what you do is wrong.
  • I may be wrong but I think SG was the ‘sonny’ rather than you Wool.
    Ric's posts have generally been less vindictive this time around however they all still come across as smug/superior & therefore tedious. Living a life of penury to be financially secure is an obvious choice: Waste not, want not. 
    Very competitive 10Ks Pete. Not sure how old you are but recovery undoubtedly takes longer with age. 
    All them hills haven’t dented your speed too badly then Reg.
    Another big week from me: 96M with a dozen yesterday & 17.7 hilly ones today.
  • Well done on completing the challenge, Reg. I listened to the Mario Fraoli podcast a few days ago. He was asked about how he would coach someone who wanted to both PB at 5k and ‘Everest’. Good question, I thought - but he answered it as though you would run the full height in a single run. Surely that would be savage! 

Bus - I was enjoying the firmer ground too. Not quite the same after Friday’s drenching! Hell of an average weekly elevation. And completely agree with your final sentence - running is our hobby; if you are enjoying it, you are winning. 

First period off for niggles in half a decade is pretty good going, SG. 

Unlucky, muddy. Although look likes you got a nice run in round the lake today. 

Great TTing, Pete.

Week one of the plan complete. Highlights of the latter half include an 8M on Wednesday - where it was great to get a bit further along the canal in the more peaceful sections. 

Then a proper session on Friday: 4 x 6 mins at LT, with 2 minute jogs. No idea on pace and wanky watch and heavy tree combo isn’t a great combination. But felt good. I’d guess maybe 6:50 average pace for the efforts. Wore the new Adios 5 for the first time. Felt fun to run in a significantly lighter shoe for the first time in many months. Nippy shoe as always, although think I didn’t fully pull out the tongue which resulted in a small hotspot on my right arch.

4M buggy recovery yesterday before my long run of the week this morning: 9.3M at 8:10 with the buggy. Got the best of the weather with a brilliant sunrise and perfectly still and cool conditions. The lad is well wrapped up in a special sleeping bag then the rain cover. So in a way, it being colder helps him sleep and therefore me get away with running for a bit longer. Tried to go above recovery pace and HR. Couldn’t quite seem to elevate the HR, but happy with the pace for a buggy run. 

So 34M for the week. Feel like it was at least a 60M. Makes you wonder how running consecutive 50/60/70/80M type weeks and not batting an eyelid is actually a really impressive level of fitness, resilience and commitment. Slowly, slowly and those days will come again!