My Last Run

Comments

• G'dog, funnily enough I saw James this morning. We both run along Worthing prom at roughly the same time on a Saturday - basically the Parkrun course at the Parkrun time. Creatures of habit or what? Good memories of quizzes there. I won't be in the queue for the 'cuppa', but I hope it does the trick for you.

Cal, I can feel your frustration. I can only sympathise but not advise as I've never really had in inexplicable drop in performance - i.e. there's always been an obvious reason in my case. And I've always been able to bounce back quite quickly - indeed too quickly after a hernia operation a few years back. From my position as a chronic under-trainer, I can only off the rather weak diagnosis that maybe you've gone the other way? As you say, the upcoming races will be instructive with the adrenalin coursing through.

My usual 3 miler today in a horrible cross-wind and hail-shower: 23.36 which was about as expected in those conditions. 
  • It's possible, John - due to the lack of races this year, I've not had the tapers and recoveries I normally do, though I have had a couple of weeks off with niggles. I've been aiming for 2000 miles this year which is more than I've run before and it's quite possible my body has taken against this. I might revert to around 1500-1600 next year.

Hail shower doesn't sound fun.

I had these grand plans for today of waking up early and going out in the dark, running up to Regents Street to look at the Christmas lights and then back via Covent Garden. But when I woke at 5 it felt like the middle of the night so I went back to sleep for half an hour and then felt groggy and unmotivated. I almost sacked off running completely but persuaded myself to try and do 10 miles (the minimum I need for my weekly target, if I'm going to hit 2000 this year) and went out in the rain just before 8.
    Weather was not as bad as forecasted, though, and the rain stopped quickly, leaving me feeling a bit hot in my hat and gloves. I ran down to Battersea, along the river then turned off at Wandsworth and found King George's Park (where I ran yesterday), up through there, along two sections of the Wandle then home via Tooting. I still get very confused around Wandsworth Town - last time I tried to find the park from the river I missed it entirely, but this time I did find it but took a route that was about three times longer than it needed to be. Ah well.
    Pace was very sluggish again - just under 11 for most of it. While I tried to enjoy the route at least (I made a point of picking one I enjoyed, since I didn't really want to run at all) I was dragging for a lot of it.
    I logged 12 miles in the end, which I'm happy with under the circumstances - I just wish I wasn't so bloody slow at the moment. Not sure how I'm going to manage a decent half in two weeks, let alone a 10K on Wednesday but there you go.
    I'll do an easy run Tuesday and then maybe a couple of miles very slow on Wednesday morning (I usually do a short run in the morning if I have an evening race).
    Sleep has been better so I hope that and a couple of easier days will help me do a bit better.
  • Couple of nice chatty posts GD - made me smile.  Well done on winning the club quiz.  Brr to running in shorts - I was even out in my warm tights (mostly however because all the others were in the wash).  Was it your HM today?

Loved economics as a subject JB.  All those models and theories.  Nice 3 miler again in nasty conditions.

Hard to say what is up Cal though the lack of tapers and recoveries and the higher than normal mileage might well have generally fatigued you.  As you say I would take it easy for the days before and between your races (keep off the hills) and get some benchmarks set.  Hope you get in some decent sleep in the next few days as well.

Been busy packing up our whole flat in the last few days but still found the time to go out running - good thing too as I would have gone mad without the fresh air and peace.

Friday was a local tour of 10k at whatever I felt like pace.  
    Saturday 6.4 miles - had intended to do these a recovery run but came out faster.  Body was willing but it took a couple of miles for the mind to join them.
    Today an HM in 1:48:08 - bit of progression up to 6 miles, then the rest at around my old mara PB.  Had to work hard over the final undulations.  Met the pggies out walkies and was briefly chased by a four month puppy as its owner dropped the lead as it set off after me.  Just curious though - no jumping or barking or anything.

Reasonable conditions in the last days - bit of snow every now and then but mostly timed my runs well to get out after the slush had melted. Around freezing to 2 degrees.   
  • Cal, you have some amazing running routes. I worked in Holborn for a year and I loved walking around Covent Garden etc in the lunchtimes. Having said that, I've never run in London, other the the VLM twice. 

H'nut, that's a really good HM time in training. I don't think you' have been so fond of Economics had I taught it to you! I'm not really an Economist, just a bit of a jobbing social studies geezer. As for puppies our next door neighbour has just got one and she (the puppy, not the neighbour) is drop dead gorgeous.

Frost here, at last if nothing to rival H'nut's conditions. Anyway, went for a 5 miles @9mm
    pace. This was 5 x1 mile laps and the lap happened to include my old school and the house where I was born......66 years ago in a few weeks time. Nice to still be able to get out for a run. 
  • I'd possibly agree with john and Hazelnut in terms of the lack of speed, Cal, it could be down to over training. Is it possible you're concentrating more on the mileage target and to get that in you're not allowing yourself to recover fully? Having said that I do know how much ones confidence can be affected when you feel things aren't flowing. I'd suggest just resting before your races, don't set yourself any high expectations and say you're just going to enjoy it.

Shame you got caught in the hail shower on Saturday, john. That must have passed us by here. Good time in those conditions and well done on the 5 miler yesterday, nice pacing. Hopefully will be able to catch up with James now we're reconvening the 'bubble' runs again.

Excellent HM training run, Hazelnut, great time. I'd be exceptionally happy to do that in a race, let alone as a training run. And when it's cold as well. Hopefully the move is all going smoothly.

Quite a start to the week, we've started testing in Poland, Singapore, Taiwan and India and they are being rather needy. I started work at 7am and have been solidly responding to emails since then.

Saturday's run was an easy 30 mins round Hove Park. Made sure we kept to a sensible pace and this time no altercations with walkers. In the evening we had the traditional pre-race pasta fest with my partner getting a touch stressed about the upcoming run. I just said we should go out and enjoy it and not worry about putting pressure on ourselves with a time. Start off at an easy pace and grow into it.

Up early for breakfast and we had left shortly after 8am to ensure we had plenty of time for our 9:30 start time. We were actually shepherded into the parking in the Goodwood circuit literally a stones throw from the race track and the start, which was a bonus. It was bitterly cold - 3C with the wind chill taking it down to freezing. Even so I went with the shorts, although wore gloves. Even then my fingers soon lost feeling. We were called in by target finish time, we'd gone for 1:55, and set off in groups of four 10 seconds apart. It was all very well managed. The only slight concern was the different races going on, marathon. 20 miles, half, 10K and 5K, so at various times new runners were being fed onto the circuit and others were coming through a lot faster than we were, so sometimes space was at a premium.

The first part of the course sent us up the side of the track going anti-clockwise before turning 180 degrees at the 1km mark and starting our clockwise running of the circuit. Having then gone past the start line we had 5 circuits to complete. The km down to the start had a slight downhill touch and a tailwind, which augured well for a sprint finish. That may account for our opening 8:27 first mile, which was a bit quicker than I wanted. But I felt comfortable with it. We tried, where possible, to hug the inside line and found that the circuit itself didn't really have any discernible features. Mile times were rather dependent on where they fell on the circuit, which was about 2.6 miles in length. At points there was a very sharp head wind that also took your breath away with the cold. But then we would get the benefit of the wind behind us at other points, so the variance in our mile times was about 30 seconds.

The plan had been to see where we were after 4 laps and if we had it in us we would then push. We'd kept pace with a couple of runners around us up to the 10 mile point when my partner decided to pick it up and so they dropped away. I have to admit I thought we'd gone a bit early, but it coincided with a downhill tailwind part and so it felt easier than it might otherwise have been. Having gone through to start our final lap I was starting to struggle a bit. At no time had I looked at what time or pace we were doing, just a glance at odd times to see the distance we'd gone, so I wasn't really aware of either the our pace or elapsed time. We hit the headwind and just dug in, keeping the legs turning over. Getting into the last mile we were now going to get the wind behind us. My partner made the comment that we could do this, although I wasn't sure if she was thinking we would finish or whether we'd get a time (she did admit later that she'd messed up how far we had to go as she pushed on harder from further out). I kept in mind just trying to keep my legs turning over, but as we got to the last 500m I was hanging on. Thankfully the line came into view, although I wasn't able to summon up much of a sprint finish.

At the end I had to cling on to the wall for a short while as the last circuit was a case of hanging on for dear life. Very pleased with a PB at 1:50:33, although tinged with a certain disappointment that the sub 1:50 was elusively close. Having said that I'm not sure, on the day, I could have done any more and we both felt we'd completely drained ourselves. Of course on the drive home I was thinking "Three seconds off each mile....." The celebratory pub roast in the afternoon was well received, along with the pint, and we dissected the run. Amusingly we thought the other was a lot more comfortable in the final circuit. There was a point where I nearly told her to push on as I was struggling and she said that she felt I was the one that was dragging her round. But it's probably the first time we've finished a race where both of us have performed and not left anything in the tank.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    G'dog, the abbreviation 'PB' says it all! That's a great run on a tricky course (I know from painful experience). Well done.
  • Very kind of you, john. A couple of weeks before with it being a touch warmer and less windy it might have been a touch quicker. But then life is full of 'if only' moments. Partner came third in her category, which she was impressed with until I said there were only 7. I came seventh out of 14, midtable respectability.
  • On my beaten up old treadmill, can’t get a new one that goes past 12kph so I’m stuck with it until the holy grail of Argos gets new stock in. For some reason I struggle with outdoor running, can’t set a pace and end up wheezing with asthma. Last time I did 1k and made the walk of shame home. Never been out since :)
  • GD, congrats on the PB! A few folks from my club were there and a couple managed marathon PBs and one got a 10K PB. By all accounts it was cold and windy - I know I wouldn't have enjoyed that. I didn't enjoy running at Dorney, which probably contributed to the DNF as much as the hamstring.

Chaznoid - might be worth doing run/walk intervals until you are used to it. I'd probably leave it until it's a bit less cold, though, if you're asthmatic.

John, I'm lucky to be in a very green part of London - lots of parks and commons within running distance, and the river is 3 miles away. I do have to try and time my runs carefully, though, to avoid traffic (I hate stopping and will do anything to avoid it including rerouting if I can't cross the road where intended).

Easy 6 miler this morning. Misty and cold so wasn't tempted to do more.
  • G'dog, I think we might both know of  local football team which would gladly settle for mid-table respectability right now! 

I ran a modest 3/4 miles yesterday which shouldn't have been too taxing but chose a 1 mile steepish hill. Again not too challenging - other than I saw a guy on a bike about 150 metres in front of me and then decided to close the gap before we reached the top. I closed the gap to about 100 metres and totally knackered myself in the process. The cyclist, of course, didn't even know he was in a 'race'. But this is a 'bloke thing'?
  • john, probably...although I've been guilty of it (not that I have the speed to race people properly).

I did do a little run this morning - just four miles, and I went as slowly as I could manage (which turned out to be really slow. Each mile was a little under 12 minute pace). Felt a bit odd but also strangely enjoyable - perhaps I've been going too fast all along. (Having said that, cadence was low and stride was super short, so I'm not sure it's good for my form to run that slowly).
    Hope I can pull something out of the bag this evening - I'd be happy getting around at HMP the way things have been going.
  • Race went as well as I expected. My ham's been a bit testy so, what with that and my recent loss of speed, I decided I'd try to run around HMP and not worry about PBs.
    It was pretty cold and while I was waiting to start, I was regretting my decision to go with vest and arm sleeves rather than a long sleeved top (I did wear leggings - I don't crack out the shorts until it's around 10 degrees) but I was OK once I got going.
    It's a four lap course but it's better than the one they use for their weekend, daytime races. It goes around the stadium then out on a longish dogleg before coming back along the river. Like last time, I had some issues on the darker parts of the course but at least it wasn't windy - last time the path that is lit by decorative lanterns was a nightmare as they were moving around and casting shadows which made it seem the ground was moving. It was like running through a funhouse.
    I didn't really look at my watch after the first two miles and my pace did drop a bit but I'm OK with the time - 53:26. I pushed myself without rinsing myself so it was like a good LT session and I quite enjoyed it.
    One weird thing was my left toes got quite sore. I wore my Zoom Flys (decided as I wasn't going to be running a very fast time, I didn't need my 4%) and thicker socks than I usually wear with them, which might have been the issue, but it could also be that the shoes are getting a little old now. They've got 438 miles on them so I think I will just use them for training in future.
    Anyway, that's that...let's see how I go on Saturday at the 5K.
  • Probably the shortest training run I've done for a while - just three miles (well, 5K actually) recovery. Was intending to go further but I was tired and hammy's grumpy so I decided 3 would have to do. Cold, grey weather, too, so wasn't inspired to stay out longer.
  • I seem to have got a bug (not THE bug) and am feeling decidedly yuk. Not a great way to spend your (43rd) wedding anniversary!

• > @kevinmarkwhite said:
    > Thursday 19/7/7 07.20am - first run in a new training regime.
    >
    > Struggling lots with my running nowadays and always too tired after work.

this how I feel now....
  • Welcome Chaznoid - I was the same when I started running, struggled running outdoors and felt the treadmill was far easier. I did persevere with outdoor running by taking it steadily and building up, to the point where I've not run on a treadmill for a couple of years.

Glad you managed to enjoy the 10K, Cal. Decent time, too, which has hopefully given your confidence a bit of a boost. Sometimes it's the way of things that we need to take a step back to go 2 steps forwards. Good luck with the 5K.

Nice little race with the cyclist, john. It is so tempting to view a target ahead and then try to reel them in. Nothing wrong with that at all, unless you're supposed to be running to a plan. Hopefully the lurgy isn't too bad and that you had a nice anniversary. Congratulations.

Only one run this week, Tuesday's 'bubble' run, the first since the end of Lockdown 2. Had a new runner join us, so rather interesting to chat to. Had to say it was rather chilly and broke out the running tights and also the gilet. Fingers were feeling the brunt of it even with gloves on. 6.5 miles at a relatively easy pace, so a good recovery run. Unfortunately work has been busy with testing. 6am for the first meeting of the day and still wading through issues gone 7pm, so I had to be dragged out on Tuesday and haven't had the time to do anything else. Not helped by the fact I'm not sleeping well at the moment (Cal syndrome). Always the way when working long hours and still thinking about what still needs to be done when I go to bed. On-call this weekend and there is a likelihood that I may have to be available the week before Xmas, which I'd booked off. Hey ho.
  • John, happy anniversary and hope you feel better soon.

GD, sorry you've caught my insomnia! I think some of mine is down to the stress of the rental flat situation but I've always had issues sleeping - it's usually worse in summer when it gets light very early and I can't go back to sleep.

I had originally planned to rest today but as I only managed three slow miles yesterday, I went out early and did five more at recovery pace. I knew with it being dark, it'd keep my pace down and I was just under 12 minute miling again. While it's probably quite beneficial to do really slow runs on occassion, I can't help but be a bit horrified by my stride length and cadence when I look at the stats after. Eh well.

A bit later I went to the gym and did some upper body stuff - more power cleans, bench, dumbell rows and stuff. Back up to the weights I was using before the lockdown, although a bit lower on reps.
    Walked home via the Streatham Lidl as the small one in Balham didn't have the cheap oats I usually buy, and that turned out to be rather dangerous as I also came home with two boxes of macarons and a tub of gingerbread ice cream. (Still, it was a 2 mile walk, and I was carrying 4kg oats, two litres of milk and a bottle of olive oil and the aforementioned treats for the last mile of that, so I guess that counts as training).
  • Cal and G'dog - sympathise with the insomnia. I too ama sufferer and overnight ended up listening to the Reith lecture on the World Service (Mark Carney) - which I actually enjoyed. 

Got over my bug quicker than I expected. Even managed a 21.45 3 miler today, just 2 seconds outside my SB. Pleased with this, but feeling totally knackered. 
  • That's good to hear, John - take it easy though eh?

A decent enough effort today, I think. Hammy was sore all night (my various injuries always feel worse in bed - I think that's half the reason I don't sleep well) the little bugger, but managed to roll it into submission. It was a midday race (the 10K was in the morning) so I had plenty of time to chill out before heading up to Stratford, and I didn't mind the comparatively late start given that 5K is over quite quickly.
    I saw a couple of Chasers when I got to the park, both a lot faster than me, but it was nice to have some company on the tube home.
    I'd decided that I would be happy to get a 25:xx given my current shape, especially as it turned out to be windier than I'd hoped and it's not a great PB course - some tight turns and a bit of undulation at the end of each lap.
    I was glad I was only doing two of the rather complex laps rather than 4 when I did the 10K before the last lockdown.
    Each lap consists of an out and back (with a hairpin turn) followed by a loop, then a different loop, and I remember feeling like I'd lost the will to live after doing two of those in the 10K and realising I had two more.
    I ran the first mile in 8:05 which isn't bad, but the second mile had the undulating bit and a couple of the tight turns so it came in a lot slower at 8:25. Last mile was 8:24 but I managed 8:00 pace for the final bit towards the finish.
    Still a way off my best but heading in the right direction.
    My chip time came in at 25:28 so I'm fairly content with that - a way off my best but heading in the right direction.
  • Uff what day is it?

Moving used to be so easy - just a couple of suitcases and a rucksack maybe.  Just a few boxes to unpack now and lots of bits and bobs to do. I have managed to run each day at least to give myself a breather. I've been doing some route exploring, lots of potential for hills, decent flat stretches more difficult. Today 10.x miles with over 300m of descent/ascent. 

Need to read back yet...
  • Moving is a stressful experience, Hazel - good for getting out. I guess you will have to scope the area out for some decent speedwork routes, since you seem to have the hills covered.

12 miles today - almost a reverse of last week's route. Ran down via Tooting to Plough Lane, took the Wandle north to Earlsfield, then through King George's Park, onto the river and along to Battersea Park, round the park, up to Clapham Common and home from there. Didn't look at my watch for this one or worry about pace at all.
    There were a few stops for traffic and one stop in King George's Park to pet an incredibly cute and inquisitive puppy (he came right up to me so who was I to say no?)
    Took this one pretty easy and enjoyed it (even when it rained, which it did along the Thames stretch) but I started feeling tired when I got to Battersea. I took a different route through here, opting for the interior paths rather than the big carriageway I use for fast runs, and saw some nice ornamental things I usually miss.
    I did a little push up the steep bit of Latchmere to get it out of the way but was knackered after that. I've run six days in a row this week including two on Wednesday, and two races, so I am not surprised I am tired.
    One thing I have learned, though, is that I can run six days in a row if I go really frickin' slowly on the recovery days. I have been thinking of my recovery pace as 10:40-11 when really that should be slow easy, and recovery is almost 12 min/mi.
    Regardless, tomorrow is definitely a rest day.
  • Hi folks!  Glad you're all well.  Busy, busy! like most of you guys.  I haven't posted for two weeks, some great running from all and sundry!

I've gotten a little more speedwork orientated, for the first time in a while, as I said I would try to do.  I've made an accurate 5 mile loop and have been running it as close to 40 minutes as I can. ie 5 x 8 minute miles.  If my 10k pace is around 7m40s and my 10 mile pace is around 8m30s,  does that sound about right for tempo running?  Nice to be running a little quicker, clicking the miles off, shorts back out!

Also done a couple of non-descript, miles in the legs runs.

Decent run this morning, 9 miles in 79 mins, steady 8:45ish pace, felt good.

My 10 mile race is now on! next weekend, on sunday.  There is also a 5 mile on the same day.  I'm tempted to do the 5 mile as I've only ever done one 5 miler. I managed 37 mins, or 5 x 7m24s.  It would a good indication of fitness.  Not very at the moment!  It is 2 months until my huge colliery run so I must start trying to build some big (and hilly) runs in.  Gulp.

Six runs in a week is epic Cal! well done.  I rarely recognise the areas of london you mention, but look forward to some days out there after normality returns!  I love walking along the Embankment, Chinatown and the National Gallery, and some of the old pubs.  Also enjoy Nottinghill carnival, aithough can be a bit claustrophobic. I'm basically a tourist.  My two 10ks I've done this year have both been sub-optimal too, but like you say, any race is good to do this year.  Hope the niggles continue to improve.

Good going Hazlenut, I moved in January and yes, it's a serious undertaking.  Hope it goes well.  I'm still looking for things that have disappeared!  Sounds like plenty of running potential.

Get well John B. 43 years is a huge achievement.  Hope it was a nice day.

Nice club  run Guarddog.  Work sounds full-on. Hope you get some time off over Christmas.

Good running Malteser!  glad you're up to running daily again.

Work is busy, but the house is in full Christmas mode, which is nice to return to.  Cat doing well!, with a new lease of life.  My Nike infinity runs have started blistering me badly at 250 miles, out of nowhere.  I will have to try and get some sort of covering or something.  Santa is bringing me a second pair in crimson, so hope it's something that can be remedied.

Stay well all.

• H'nut, isn't there some decent research that ranks moving house near the top of the stress league table? Perhaps it's a good time to get out for a relaxing run.

Cal, 6 days a week is well beyond my current capabilities. Given that you also do quite a bit of gym/upper body work that's quite a payload. Talking of which, today I tried some Tabata (I'm pretty confident you'll know exactly what that entails!). The great thing about this format is that you can throw any exercise into the mix as long as it exhausts you. So I did a bit on the rower, some sets of press ups and then some kettlebell (20kg) swings. I've thrown in the towel on my heavier kettlebell (32kg) and given it to one of my sons. Sometimes you just have to know your limits!

LTT, that's a shame about the blisters and an expensive way to acquire them! Hope the new pair delivered by Santa does the trick.

• Have a good rest day today Cal after a tough week last week.  Nice 12 miler to finish it off.  Slow recovery sounds about right for adding in extra running days.

LTT you could try putting your 10k pace in a few pace calculators and seeing what they turn out for your various training paces.  (Macmillan, Fetch.. etc.).  8mm sounds roughly ok based on your 10k pace.  5 miles tempo in one go is quite a workout. If you can't hold the pace over the duration then try doing it in intervals.  Good luck with the 10 miler - should give you a good indication of where you are at the moment.  Shame about the shoes.

Nice cross training JB.  Don't think I would want to try to lift that kettlebell - probably would drop it on my big toe!

Still need to read back on last week.

3 loops of the village yesterday evening - 3.x miles - the street lighting is fairly subdued and many people have put up Christmas lights now so I enjoyed those.  There is an Advent calendar - number 8 seems to have short-circuited a bit as it keeps flashing on and off in a rather random way after it was behaving during the last few days (I can monitor it out of my kitchen window..).

Have a good week all.
  • That is quite a run of runs, Cal, I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit tired. I was exhausted just reading that you'd done that. Well done on the 5K, it was a decent time on what sounds a very technical course. And on the 12 miler. Enjoy the rest day.

John - I'm not sure I'd want to be lifting a 32kg kettlebell either. Well done on your 3 miler time over the weekend.

Glad the move went well, Hazelnut, and good luck with the route findings. Probably quite exciting to have the opportunity to discover new places to run. And glad the move is over, as others have said I'm not surprised you feel a bit out of sorts. It is a stressful period. I moved last year and I'm still thinking of all the stuff I've got in storage.

Hopefully Xmas brings a new pair of runners for you, LTT. Strange that they've suddenly started to give you blisters. 250 miles doesn't seem that much, but then I think they're becoming more of a disposable item now.

Just the one run over the weekend. We did the loop round Shoreham going along the boardwalk. In the end it was a touch under 6 miles and run at a rather stately pace. With work the way it's been the last week we decided that as the weather wasn't going to be great on Sunday we'd just relax. Apart from having to do a bit more work, as well as housework and also making a Thai salad for dinner. And avocado on toast with poached eggs and bacon for brunch. 

Got up this morning at 5:30 to get ready to go to the gym. Had a 6am meeting, but thought I'd be able to sneak off after that. Big mistake. One of my team had to take her sister to the hospital, so I was picking up her work. Gave up on the gym and instead thought I'd go for a quick coffee and catch up with 'The Man in the High Castle' on Amazon whilst in the coffee shop. Only Amazon decided I was going through a VPN and refused to play it. So after a stressful 15 mins shouting at my tablet I gave up. So much for relaxing.
  • G'dog, Just as you wouldn't fancy my 32kg kettlebell (and neither do I any more!), I do not envy you your early morning gym session and 6.00am meeting.  As for relaxing a bit - go on, you know you deserve it.

H'nut, that village circuit sound idyllic.

A 4 mile time trail for me today. TBH all my runs are time trails! I don't often run this distance. I set a sub 30 ideal target and a 31.00 acceptable. I split the difference with 30.27 so I was satisfied with that, especially given a mean and stiff wind on the return leg.

The WAVA was 71.95% which is pretty consistent with  my WAVAs for 1.5, 3 and 6 mile runs. This a useful, if imperfect, way of monitoring performance across different distances and doesn't 'lie'.

Big uptick in Covid infections across the south-east, although not as yet in my part of the south east - but near enough to give me that sinking feeling about current Xmas plans!
  • Linton, great news about your cat. Less so about the shoes - where are they rubbing?

john - yeah, same. I've a half marathon on Sunday - got the number today but not sure the relevant council will allow it or not. Guess it's a wait and see situation.
    Tabata is brutal if you do it right. 32kg is a monster kettlebell. My largest is 20 and I don't use that one much. I used to use it mainly for swings but I haven't done swings in a while as I'm nervous about my hamstring.

GD, sorry about your non-relaxation session. I don't have Netflix so I miss all the good shows off that - I pay enough for Sky so getting anything else is out of the question on my current income.

Just 6 today - lovely weather but legs were tired so it was just a plod.
  • I've failed all this week to get to the gym, john. The 6am meetings seem to drag on beyond their 30 minute slot and by the time they've finished I've lost the will. Maybe on Friday I'll get there. Well done on the time trial. Maintaining sub 8 for 4 miles is good going and great WAVA score. Agree with the COVID rates as well. Hastings looks as if it's seen quite a spike. Partner rang her parents last week to say we wouldn't be up before Xmas and we're just hunkering down.

Glad you managed to get out yesterday, Cal, and hopefully the legs have recovered. Relaxation issues continued yesterday. I downloaded the next episode so there'd be no connection issues, went for my morning coffee, put my airpods in...they'd run out of charge!! At least this morning I've managed to cover all bases and got through another episode.

'Bubble' run last night. The run leader decided they were too tired to come out leaving 5 of us not quite sure what route was planned. So we revisited one we did a couple of months ago involving a lap round Hove Park, then up to Hove Rec and a lap round there before heading down onto the seafront, running past the i360 and then doing a 180 and running back along the prom before heading back up to Hove Park. About 11K in total at a nice easy pace. Good to get out especially as I could quite easily have not bothered. Felt rather stressed towards the end of the day, a combination of long days, too much work to do and dealing with people who really won't follow a process no matter how many times I explain it to them. I ended up with a headache and really just wanted to have a nap, but partner convinced me I'd feel better for running and she was right.
  • I've failed on that count too, GD - the bookings server was down on Monday so I tried in vain to book a slot, only to find out I'd already booked one after it had ended. Rebooked today but overslept until 6am which meant I couldn't get out for my 10 mile run early enough to make my gym slot. Oh well, Friday's the charm.
    You don't have much luck with your viewing, do you?
    Glad you got a recuperative run in, anyway.

10 miles this morning - lovely sunny weather (it's clouded over now, though) although there was quite a strong wind at times. Mostly enjoyable apart from getting stranded on a traffic island a few miles from home and pacing up and down angrily and swearing while I waited for two streams of traffic to go. :D
  • Right – had a good read back over the last few days. 

Enjoyed your HM race report GD – well done on that PB!  That 1:50 wasn’t far off at all, give it good conditions and the planets align up and you will grab that.  Good placing too for both of you.  Shame about your work situation and I hope you get that week off, sounds like you need it.  Good that tablets and computers don’t’ shout back (or I would be often be in a loud argument).

Welcome to Chaznoid should you drop back in.  Give the outdoor running a go but as Cal says take it easy with run-walk initially. 

Chasing cyclists uphill is fun JB.  At some point they run out of gears and struggle.  I remember a disgruntled one on an mtb riding a stretch I was doing a hill race on (up to 22 % climbs in parts).  He was not amused when I was over the moon to overtake him (on a flatter stretch). I do get envious of them when you both get to the top though and all they have to do is freewheel back off down!  Well done on your 43rd anniversary – that is a long time!  You are running some good times at the moment (3 miles / 4 miles). Hope your Xmas plans aren’t too wrecked by the rising virus figures.

Well done on the 10k/5k combination Cal.  Good attitude to the races and the results.  Careful with those oats – (I hope the right ones this time  ;) ).  Fingers crossed that your HM takes place at the weekend.  That must have been a decent sized traffic island you got stuck on if it allowed for some agitated to-ing and fro-ing.

Out with just one guy from my Tuesday group yesterday evening, we had a nice Corona-rant.  Think we both needed to let off some steam.  For me easy pace, for him less so, so I was quiet on the uphills to give him a chance to get enough breath in.  We were lucky with the rain until the last 5 minutes of the run.

Fog today – should have worn my fancy flashing red lights vest I suppose though there was little traffic around but that which was probably wouldn’t have been expecting a runner out.  I was wearing a standard hi-viz and a headtorch but with around 30m max in the darkening soup…  Mentally I felt like a bit of hard work and did some hill reps on a local hill – around 230m in length with 28 metres of climbing according to the segment I have set up.  Legs weren’t really interested but I told them to get on with it and did 8 reps.  I’ve done better hill sessions but the last few days have left me a bit drained so I was happy enough.  Nearly 300m of climbing altogether in 5.x miles.