New to the forums

Hi All, just introducing myself as a newbie. I discovered running fairly late in life (first 5k run was in my early 30's!) and have become hooked. After 4 years I'm now running olympic tris, plenty of 10k's and half marathons. I'm always trying to improve my pace - current PB is 43min 10k - but find I'm in a constant tug of war with injuries, and this gets truer as I get older! RUnning injury recovery and prevention is probably my biggest area of interest.

I'm here to meet other runners, learn more about gear and training techniques, and deepen my understanding of injury prevention through training, S&C, mobility work etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc!

Comments

• Hey man, nice to meet you. New here also. I've been running for about 10 years off and on but got really serious about it during lockdown. Since then been slowly increasing my mileage and trying to reach half-marathon distance. Got there a few weeks ago before breaking my ankle on a run so currently in recovery mode. Boooo! It's rubbish.

I'm 45 so also get niggles quite easily. Apart from the break I've managed to conquer consistent achilles problems with much slower and controlled mileage build-up and religiously doing stretch work and yoga.

My goal for recovery is to get back to a ten mile run by Nov/December and then I want to increase my speed, get my 10K down from a snail-like 55mins to sub-50 and start racing next year.
  • Hi, Ive just signed up and wanted to say hi too but cant post a new thread only reply. What gives? Sorry to hijack your thread. Hello!!!
  • Hi Bigdave1980 and welcome to the forum. You have to post 10 times in existing threads before you can start a thread of your own. A tad annoying, but it goes some way to preventing some of the spam posts we're afflicted with.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Guarddog" class="js-userCard" data-userid="771050">Guarddog</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi Bigdave1980 and welcome to the forum. You have to post 10 times in existing threads before you can start a thread of your own. A tad annoying, but it goes some way to preventing some of the spam posts we're afflicted with.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Gawd, I wish it would have said that on the welcome email. I’ve been pulling my hair out. But thanks for the clarification.

two down. <div>
    </div><div>Hello tramps!</div>
  • Don’t know why that’s full of html. I just quoted guard dog. Man not getting off to a good start. <div>
    </div><div>Tramps, I’m 40 and not run 5k since the school cross country. Which i sucked at. </div>
  • Hello, I look forward to asking advice for an injury I have
  • Hi there. I am another hijacker, and like you in my 30s before I got going. I used to run track until my early twenties, but each time I tried to reintroduce running since my adventure sport crammed 20s injuries would get in the way.

Still struggling to find anything close to my old pace, but I hate a more relaxed 5-10k far less than I thought I would.
  • Hello, I guess I am one newbie hijacker. This is my first comment here. I recently went back to track and I can't even keep up. My knee sores after every run and I feel like giving up again.

But I am sure to draw inspiration from this forum.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Guarddog" class="js-userCard" data-userid="771050">Guarddog</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi Bigdave1980 and welcome to the forum. You have to post 10 times in existing threads before you can start a thread of your own. A tad annoying, but it goes some way to preventing some of the spam posts we're afflicted with.</div>
    </blockquote>
    This was really helpful, thank you! Have been driving myself crazy trying to work out how to start a thread :/ Makes sense, but wish they'd let us know
  • > @Guarddog said:
    > Hi Bigdave1980 and welcome to the forum. You have to post 10 times in existing threads before you can start a thread of your own. A tad annoying, but it goes some way to preventing some of the spam posts we're afflicted with.

Thanks @Guarddog!!
  • > @Sucregirl said:
    > Hello, I guess I am one newbie hijacker. This is my first comment here. I recently went back to track and I can't even keep up. My knee sores after every run and I feel like giving up again.

Tell me about it... I'm here for advice on that front too.
  • Hi! Also brand new here! Pretty much bran new to running and having to start with hiit type training as I can't even run for a minute without nearly dying haha. All got to start somewhere hey!! 
    Also, how do we make our own threads 😂😂
  • Hi All
    I’ve just joined the forum, so just saying hi 🙋‍♀️ 
    Im just getting back into running after nearly 20 years of sitting on my bum 😂 

I lost a lot of weight last year (5st😮) and got a spinning bike which built up some base fitness so i started running in October and have managed a 5k 26min and 10k 55min, I hope to xtrain 5x per week, just reading the different trg plans to see what might suit me, although I’m not really sure what my goals are, I just want to enjoy running overall.

nice to meet everyone 😊
  • Hi TrampsLikeUs, and also to everyone here in the comments section! I'm a new guy here, too. Just wanted to say 'howdy' and look forward to conversing with you all. Keep up the hard work!
  • I’m hoping that I can get back into running, and get over some injuries and lockdown weight gain.
  • I wish I could start the running again but due to smoking I lost all of my stamina :(
  • @Felixkoch2312 the only way your going to start again is to lace those trainers up and get out there.

What ever distance you do, is more than you would have done sitting on the sofa.

Im still on my running adventure having only recently started. I was always worried about what i would look like/how far i coukd run. I soon worked out that no one cares and it was me making reasons up to not go out.

Once yoy started again, you wont regret it.
  • Hi All, Just joined the forum, set out running around 4 months ago and really enjoying it, recently purchased some brooks trainers which in my opinion are really good. I am averaging unto 9 miles 2 or 3 times per week. Looking for advice on what food to consume before running / after. also if anyone has any advice on protein powders for post recover I would appreciate it.

Thanks
  • Hi! I am Rivera and I'm new on this forum! Hope to get good experience here.
  • Hi All.

I'm new the this forum and a total novice runner. I'm 41 and 21 stone, while watching the Olympics i thought its now or never to start running. Been running about 2 weeks and enjoying it, I think?
  • Hello all I am also new to forum.
  • Hi, just joined this site!
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/90620900
  • Evening everyone! Novice runner in my teens, now 40 and after running the Manchester 10k last month,want to get into doing more after some sort of training, playing 5 a side and naturally fit I think and have a few goals planned if possible, so looking for advice on here where to start and how to plan🤔😁
  • Just wanted to say hello. New to the site and new to wanting to start running. I'm from Armthorpe, doncaster and looking to find a beginners running club to join for fitness and making new friends.

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction.
  • Hi, trying to get my post count up so I can ask some technique questions. I've just started running at 36, I've had other hobbies up until now but had a knee surgery early in the year, started walking for rehab and sort of progressed into running. I've been taking it very slowly and am following the none 2 run program to stop myself from overdoing things.

The issue I'm currently having is that I'm struggling to run at the slow pace required to stay in my desired heart rate zone. I've watched lots of videos on technique and also had a running assessment by a physiotherapist. I got some great advice and feel like my technique at faster paces is quite good but at slower pace, 7 min/km and slower, I just feel like I'm running on the spot and shuffling along. If I try to apply the technique I've learned, I end up going too fast and my cardiovascular system cannot keep up and I fatigue.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  • Hi, new to the site , took up running again this past year and doing my first 10 k on Sunday afternoon. I'm 39, My personal best is 48.40 , I was flying till about 6 wks ago picked up a calf strain and it sidelined me for a couple of weeks so my Garmin training was put on hold and I had to ease back into it , ,but not had any niggles since , and I'm hoping to push myself and shave a minute or two off that on race day , can comfortably run at 8.15 mile to 8 minute miles , ran about 3 mile today under 7.30 but was starting to slow , so don't know whether to go fast starting off and maybe the adrenaline will pull me through?? Or take it easier and build up speed as I go . Also any advice on eating , the race is at 3pm I always run in morning with just a banana beforehand? I'm thinking maybe porridge or weetabix for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch and maybe have banana half an hour before?? Thanks.
  • Just joined i can't post my own threads how do i ?
  • Hello! I'm glad to join your community