Feet hurting when running

Hi,

I've started running again, but I'm getting put off by the pain I get in my feet. I'm after any help/advice I can get. Especially on shoes.

I've always suffered with it, and is probably why I've given up on running so many times. The pain is different depending on shoe, I do have problems with my arches and my right foot naturally turns outwards (I've been told I have tight soleus). I have a physical therapist (I am a rugby player and need all the help I can get!) and I have been to a NHS podiatrist which frankly was no help at all. I roll in when I walk, but have repeatedly been told I run neutral. I'm currently on week 4 of C25K, I generally get to a mile before things start hurting. I have been known to ditch my shoes and walk the 5 minutes cool down bare foot. I do some yoga, general stretching, powerlifting and foam roller as well.

Shoes I have tried:

SAUCONY GUIDE ISO 2 : I get pain in my arches which feel like they are on fire. Starts in right, but left ends up worse (perhaps through overcompensation). The pain ends up radiating up the inside of my ankle.

Triumph ISO 2 : same as above. I can't work out if one is worse than the other.

Nike Free Run : I can go longer in these without pain. Again, my arches feel like they are on fire, but I have calf pain with them rather than the ankle pain. If I stop to stretch I get a burning sensation in my feet and calves.

Comments

• I think this could be your footwear. I bought some Karrimor from Sports Direct and they do the job, Nice flexible soles which i think helps a lot. Have you tried going to a running shop where they get you on a treadmill and monitor how your feet impact when running ?
  • it could be helpful looking at your footwear and potentially getting some insoles. about your pain, it starts in the arch and radiates up the inside of your ankle? I'm only a student physio but from the description of the location of the pain, it could potentially be tibialis posterior tendonitis, which I am also currently suffering from. feel free to drop me a message if you want more information
  • > @aaronjeavons said:
    > it could be helpful looking at your footwear and potentially getting some insoles. about your pain, it starts in the arch and radiates up the inside of your ankle? I'm only a student physio but from the description of the location of the pain, it could potentially be tibialis posterior tendonitis, which I am also currently suffering from. feel free to drop me a message if you want more information

I agree. You want to use insoles that can reduce the impact while running. I've tried this and it does help me to reduce the pain I get while running, https://seniorcare.com.sg/shop/living-aids/cardio-and-respiratory/carnation-footcare-podiatrist-orthotics-support-powerstep-pro-insoles/

But if you want any custom insoles, you'll probably have to visit a podiatrist.
  • I found something similar, although with practice I found the pain kicked in later and later...

I was running in some hand me downs which I figured want great, so got some mid support asics gt1000s after a gait analysis. Probably not ideal but they got me started.

My brother in law (podiatrist and marathon runner) did a more in depth assessment before giving me custom insoles. I now have a pair of metracers I was gifted as well, but on my trial run I had to stop after about 7k as I could feel a blister coming on....it we totally my fault as my sports socks hadn't dried so I stuck in some winter woolies. The shoes are far more capable than I am, so I alternate depending on what I am doing.

No matter which shoes I wear I am conscious of my feet after about 3 miles, but when I started they hurt after a mile or so, so I will take that as a win.