Monday 21st December 2020 - I'm a man of reason, and they say "'Tis the season to be jolly"

Morning.

Lyrics - I'm a man of reason, and they say "'Tis the season to be jolly"

The presents I posted second class arrived with people the next day alehouse!

Hope the shopping isn't too stressful Hazel. Good to hear that you have a vaccine approved, it is hopefully the beginning of the end though we're probably still in for a long haul.

Enjoy the time off RFJ. Hope the second treatment goes well.

Didn't realise you were going up two tiers Els - are cases rising on Orkney? Well done for turning out for the xc.

You really are multitalented OH.

No running today which is probably just as well as I had a very bad night even by my poor standards and my knees ache. I'm debating seeing if I can get my hair cut at the walk in hairdressers, it was last done the day before our first lock down and is rather straggly. Cake is unlikely to get iced today. Was going to bake a stollen but enthusiasm is low.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's were Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Brenda Lee.

What: perhaps another easy hour

Why: good question

Supermarket any minute.

On a more optimistic note, as of today summer will start to gradually approach. Seems a long way off!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Morning.

Good luck with the hairdressers LMH (if you go) and with the shopping Ale.

Always good to get to and beyond the shortest day in the year Ale.

Well done on turning out to the XC Els.  I have come last but one in an XC before. 

All the best for your treatment RFJ.  Good mileage on the bike and another PB - well done.

What: recovery
    Why: easy start to the week and with a big shop planned won't have time for more anyway
    Last hard: reading about the new restrictions - not affected myself but how many people are now stranded?
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics:no
  • Last group run before Christmas this evening. Talk about swimming under the conjunction too, but clouds may say otherwise.
    On a different line our 19yo VW van goes in for MOT today ...
    XC yesterday was hard.
    Lyrics: no, but to the point!

Cases not going up here but Sturgeon calling for tough preventative action. All mainland Scotland in highest tier from 26th and islands move to tier 3. All but essential travelling between regions banned.
    Add in Brexit factors and January may be an "interesting" month.

• All of Scotland has gone into tier 4 except for isles which go to 3....we have no cases currently but I think if folks Christmas travel plans had gone ahead we would have had many cases imported which we are I'll equipped to deal with here. Hard but probably correct.
    Getting ready to brave Tesco then going for a run in stromness with a friend. Ego slightly dented by cross country performance!
    Lyrics..no
    Trying to think of a good reason not to ice Christmas cake today!
    Have a good day all.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Nice training everyone
    Didn't walk yesterday and I'm not sure about today either. Just too tired and falling asleep 
    Els hope tesco isn't too bad! Have a lovely run

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Unfortunately I agree OH. I hope the measures taken are enough to ensure that you aren't impacted there too much.

Hazel - it's pretty pants for lots of people isn't it? I try to keep counting my blessings as we have so far managed to remain relatively unaffected.

Els - hope Tesco isn't too busy. Don't feel bad about the xc, it's not long since you were in hospital!

Wabo - if sleep is what you need go with it. Are you feeling any better? How is everyone else.

I managed to get my hair cut with minimal stress and waiting. Was about to ice the xmas cake but I was unable to get any royal icing sugar this year and having looked it up online apparently I need liquid glycerine? I don't know what to do - what do the rest of you use to ice your xmas cakes?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Els & OH - good work with the xc racing
    Chick - that was impressive progress last week, but please don't over do things
    RFJ - enjoy the break and hope the treatments go well
    Ale - well reminded about the lengthening days!
    LMH - you asked about restrictions, we're tier 2 (today anyway), so training tomorrow & village lot on Wednesday. Club group run on 24th, but we've split it into 6 smaller groups of 5 or 6 to stick by the rules. Usually in the pub afterwards but limited to takeout chips on the green instead.

What - 5 or 6 easy
    Why - Monday is easy day
    last rest - 10/10
    last hard - Saturday's hills. 
    yesterday was 13.5 easy paced trails with a couple of the village girls who wanted to get wet and muddy...Good fun!
    lyric - not sure

• It's good that you are able to continue Dustin - can't be many places left with that low level of restrictions!
  • I cut my hair this morning - it took less than 2 minutes LOL

Good news today - have appt to get first CV19 vaccination tomorrow (as NHS worker over 50yo)
    Have volunteered to help out with vaccination once covered (late January) on back of that.

Appears even in Scottish tier 3, we will be able to continue with organised sporting activities (Covid aware with register etc)

Not looking good for seeing the conjuction this afternoon.
  • Morning again!

Not run yet: still pouring. Have made Stollen and mince pies. 

LMH: for royal icing I use the whites of 3 eggs, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and then gradually sieve in icing sugar (close to a pound). I keep the wooden spoon on the base of the bowl: lifting it adds air. Keep adding icing sugar until the mixture stands up in points. The above was what my mother taught me: she used to take commissions for wedding cakes etc.

Here is one I made earlier, Hazel. Royal icing snow, basically: can't see any point spending ages trying to get a smooth surface for a Christmas cake.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good news OH.

Thanks alehouse - I always go for the snow scene too!
  • LMH...normal icing sugar is fine...only discovered royal icing sugar in Tesco this morning 
    ..didn't know it exists! The glycerin just makes the icing a little softer.....hopefully no broken teeth! 
  • Nice run with E in stromness but unfortunately she got called to work so no time for an outdoor coffee after!
  • Els - with the royal icing sugar you just need to add water which is why I've always used it in the past but I've been unable to get any this year hence having to make it properly. A shame about your coffee.
  • I don't know if it was your icing recipe, my attitude or what alehouse but that was my quickest and least stressful xmas cake icing ever!
  • Afternoon!

Glad to be of assistance, LMH! However I do find it hard work: I get the icing so stiff that I can't move the spoon. Not good for my back!

What: just over half an hour off road

Why: forgot that I did an hour yesterday; thought it was Saturday! Perhaps tomorrow!
  • What do you do with the leftover yolks alehouse?
  • Sweet pastry for mince pies or hazelnut shortbread. Just made another batch mince pies thus putting off cake icing yet again. Oops!
  • With one extra egg and a few veg it usually becomes an omelette!
  • I don't do pastry Els - the gf stuff is difficult.

That's a good idea alehouse - thanks.
  • Wow, that cake looks fabulous, ale! You ought to feature on Bake-off ;)

Nice of you to check in, RFJ

Sorry to hear about your bad night, LMH. Can't say I had a brilliant one myself but only a few more days of the usual pre x-mas mayhem at work. And good you managed to get a haircut. Hairdressers had to shut down again here.

Chill and recover, wabo

Well done at the xc, Els and OH. And there's no shame in being last at an event, especially not after all you've been through.

Dustin: Our news here make us believe that the whole South of England ought to be put in isolation ;) Good to see that this isn't necessarily the case. 

Hope the big shop isn't too stressful, Hazel. I sent Mr. chick out today and hope we're more or less covered now until next week. 

Managed a quick (for me) 5k this afternoon. 

• Socially distanced mince pies and mulled apple juice after this evening's Scapa Loop run 😋🎅
  • Sadly too cloudy for view of Saturn Jupiter conjunction (Christmas "star")
  • That's me protruding from Peters Santa hat!
  • Argh! Heating failed again.
    At least we have the open fire ...
  • What do you do with the leftover yolks alehouse?
    Or make shortbread...
  • One thing I like about lemon meringue pie (apart from eating it - obviously!) Is that it uses yolks and whites separately.