Wed 30th Dec 2020 - où sont tes héros

Lyrics - Où sont tes héros au corps d'athlète? Où sont tes idoles mal rasés, bien habillés?

I'll be a bit surprised if anyone gets this one to be honest. Yesterday's were a
Metal Mickey, by Suede. 

Hope your night wasnt too uncomfortable LMH. 

Well done for getting out despite your fall Hazel.

Hope you're improving Wabo.

Dustin - sounds similar here, plenty going out for exercise in the nice areas, meaning they're getting quite busy.

Hope you've warmed up Els and OH. 

Ale - I find trail shoes can be fairly mixed in that sort of weather too. 

Chick - I took your advice and didn't run at all yesterday, it was just a bit too icy. Looking similar this morning, so not sure what I'll do today.

I've sickened myself with sweets recently, I think I'll go off them again in January, and I'm actually quite looking forward to it at the minute. I'll probably change my mind by the 3rd though

Comments

• Careful chamolk! I had a pretty rough night - not so much my arm but my back/hips/bum which then hurt my arm when I tried to reposition. I should probably be glad I won't be able to weigh for a few weeks as I can't even go for a walk or cook.

OH - unfortunately I think I got rid of the slings I had for my shoulder. It's trying to bend to lift the loo seat or spit in the sink that is very painful. Oh for a brace or cast to stabilise the fracture. Glad you have heating now.

Els - yes, the fracture is quite high. I am not good with being so useless and dependent and Mark doesn't make the best nurse though he's trying. There is so much in the house he doesn't usually do and he doesn't think of things like my being unable to put toothpaste on my brush.

Glad you are still able to run Hazel.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning
    LMH - oh bugger. I am truly gutted to hear about the latest incident and wishing you a speedy recovery. I can only imagine how even simple things we normally take for granted become nigh on impossible.
    Lets hope there is a pleasant by-product with the enforced rest helping the knees / legs. 
    ELS/OH - pleased the heating has been sorted!

What - easy miles
    Why - recovery 
    last rest - 10/10
    last hard - yesterday's hills
    lyric - no, but should have got yesterday's, great song. 
  • Morning!

No surprise at the rough night, LMH: I remember it only too well. And it is the little things and the unexpected movements that are both frustrating and painful. Thoughts with you. 

What: a run at some point

Why: need a bit of a thaw before going out. Currently just running to feel

Lyrics: no 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It it looks a bit deadly out here at the moment - take care guys.
  • LMH...sorry that was me suggesting a polysling...what we would use for head of humerus fractures and stabilise it quite well but are a pain to put on! Dunno if you can buy something similar in Boots. Sympathies for the rough night.. Also sleeping propped upright can help.
    Great to have heating restored last night.
    Snow and ice all gone here.
    Plans to visit friend in South Ron today...in his garden....and then run later....will need to try to fit it all in in day light.
    Stay safe folks.
  • A running friend of ours broke her humerus after a night out. She didn't feel the pain until the following day - just sayin' ! ;)
    Hope the pain eases soon ...
    Our daughter's husband too has had to be a fast learner in dometic chores since her dislocated thumb and ligament rupture.
    Few bits and pieces to do this morning, possibly short run later. Moonlight swim planned.
    Lyrics no but pleased I could still manage enough of a translation to get the gist
    (incidently that was one of our idiosyncratic French teacher's catch phrases - "get the gist")

Sitting down was turnaround point, at least for 3 of us, HazelCH, Els did another bit.

No ice here today

Annual travel insurance renewal arrived today. Possibly should defer this as I'll not be going anywhere in the next few months.

A baby "Creepie" stool in in oak assembled for or granddaughter(?)-to-be

• Exciting news OH - congratulations!

Els - I was propped upright. If you have time could you post a link to the kind of sling? I expect they’ll be available online. Guessing they are more expensive which is why they aren’t standard NHS issue?
  • LMH - not v IT savvy but found Benecare polysling on Amazon for £14.99 just googling, they(or similar) are standard nhs issue in our fracture clinic but A&E may not always have a supply. Hope you can get more comfortable. They also have an extra velcro band to go round you to hold it really steady for example if you want to go for a walk (not in the ice).  Most folk discard them after 2-4 weeks once pain improves.
    Cancelled the trip to S Ron,  black ice on roads, just been for 6 miler, pretty slippery in places but kept to trails where possible and wearing trail shoes.
  • Afternoon!

Similar conditions here with black ice on the pavements, and very crunchy off road, which is where I spent most of my 35 minutes. Had to walk a few times rather than go flying. Could well be worse tomorrow. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Thanks Els (I assume!) the Benecare one I can find is £25.99? I guess if I'd had an actual fracture clinic review they may have given me one. A shame I got rid of the ones I had after my accident.

Take care alehouse.
  • Could be worth calling a and e to see if they have a spare one ..you shouldn't really have to pay! Sorry for latest dentist crisis.
  • Dentist crisis? If A&E had one and thought I should I guess they'd have given it to me - don't mind paying to be more comfortable but would rather not pay more than I need to.
  • (Benecare lookalike)
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    There was actually lots of ice around here today. A cautious 5.5 miles done.
    Should have taken yaktrax (lookalikes)
  • Thank you. Do you think it's ok for me to just decide to swap my collar and cuff for that? Have just had a call to tell me I have an appointment on the 7th.
  • Obviously I've not seen your X ray or anything but would say yes provided you find it more comfortable.
    Hope pain is not too bad .
  • Cheers Els - I am taking it as the advice of an informed friend  :) I have some impressive swelling and bruising but pain is manageable as long as I don't try to do anything.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all
    Oh my goodness lmh so sorry to read about the fall and break. Poor you! 
    Alehouse glad you managed without falling too
    Oh glad you were also successful, do you have good news? 
    Dustin hope the easy miles were good
    Lyrics no
    Chamolk first Christmas ever I've not sickened myself with sweets lol
    Guess what

What 2 miles off road with Sacha
    Why needed to
    Last hard that was 
    Last rest yesterday
    I feel so happy
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Really pleased for you Wabo.

I really didn't think I would leave the house today but I couldn't manage a whole day indoors so as the pavements had mostly cleared did Lola's afternoon walk with Mark. Feel worn out but better for it.
  • Afternoon!

Good news, Wabo...but do not rush things! A shame about tonight's match: I foresee quite a few more postponements. Spurs not playing was not good news for my Fantasy team this week!

Glad you got out, LMH: the first time I fractured mine I couldn't walk for weeks: the jarring was simply too bad. The second time it was a case of grin and bear it. Have you spoken with your physio about rehab? I know it is early days but a plan might make you feel better: the first time I did next to nothing for six weeks or so; the second time I started gentle supported movement after probably ten days. 

Off to look up exactly what you can and can't do in tier 4. 
  • I made sure it was held quite firmly alehouse. Have some basic mobility exercises for hand, wrist and elbow and shoulder shrugs - could do without a frozen shoulder. Tier 4 - 3 but with no non essential shops, gyms, hairdressers etc.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Managed to avoid any ice here, but still a fresh 3 or 4c
    Ended up as 8.3 miles on country lanes a bit brisker than I'd planned but shows that "easy" is quicker on road when you spend much of the time in swamps!
    LMH  - pleased you managed to get out, will certainly have done you good.
    Ale - Tier 4 you can still run outside with 1 other or with member of the household or bubble...
    Or if you live round here, take a dog and the numbers you can mix with are unlimited. 
    If walking, meet in larger groups, but walk in pairs a few metres apart. That - apparently - is OK. I truly despair. 

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Lmh so sorry to hear your latest news.
    Oh and els yay for heating
    Wabo great for getting out there
    Hazel please be careful

So yesterday Lucas was in nursery and oh and I had annual leave so headed to the Malvern hills for a walk. Wow was that icy! No idea how far we went but I'm guessing not far. The way up was a lot of slipping (we took the more level path than we were planning) but the top was stunning and lots of snow!  The ice had melted a lot on the way down thankfully so a lot safer. Then in the afternoon did a 5ish mile walk along the canals. Then had to navigate round and through done very deep puddles!

Today, we walked to town (extremely icy) then when oh went to collect Lucas, I did 5km and ended up with a post Lucas on! Not sure how I did that as roads were mostly melted but I was talking it easy in case of black ice.

Tomorrow we are planning a quiet family day at home as I don't like driving in this country when the weather's like this, no proper winter tyres!

Dustin, don't get me started! It's like there's no pandemic round here.

Have a lovely evening all