Thursday 31st December 2020 There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall

Morning!

Lyrics: There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall
And the bells in the steeple too

Goodbye 2020, or is that good riddance. I hope everyone has a great 2021.

What: probably short and easy

Why: ice

Hopefully a little more sleep now.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• You beat me to it Ale - I was outside admiring the snow. About an inch has fallen overnight - looks lovely, but was very difficult to drive to see a patient earlier as it was falling so heavily. Looks like no running again today for me. 

Lyrics no

Yesterday's lyrics were Sexy Boy, by Air
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    No lovely natural scenery for me, just a car park
  • We have ice no snow and like glass and been like that for two days not looking any better till Sunday/Monday.
    Ale: Good Riddance I think and be careful out there!

Treadmill and static bike for me again.I could not get to surgery for jab yesterday just end of my road and that was deadly.But have later appointment today so Alun can take me.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning.

It all looks better under a light dusting of snow though chamolk - we had similar again overnight so I may be confined to the house.

A nice way to spend a rare child free day off with your OH emzap.

Yaktrax Poppy?

Hope you managed some more sleep alehouse.

I spent the night in a chair much to Lola's delight. Not sure I slept much better but back/hips/knees were more comfortable. New sling should arrive today which I'm hoping will be a bit more comfortable especially when moving - not that I can go far anyway!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Morning again!

Managed a little more sleep and during that time we had a fair amount of snow which is now of course on top of icy surfaces. Run may be rather delayed and when I do run it will probably be short on the fields and trails.

Hope the new sling helps, LMH!

And I can't find my yaktrax!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hope conditions improve for you alehouse. I'm hoping I will be able to get out later.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    I may invest in some yaktrax. Probably invoke Murphy's law by doing so and do us all a favour!

What: walk to a different playground
    Why: nice to go somewhere different
    Last hard: hearing how bad covid is getting, I'm getting worried again
    Lyrics: yes, was exposed to this song the other day :)

Have a lovely day all
  • That would be fine by me emzap! My Yaktrax didn't come out last year. All you can do is make the right decisions to keep you and yours as safe as possible.
  • Yup got yaktraks years ago and only used them that year. 
    Not sure what it's like out there yet....being lazy but going for run with friend shortly.
    Hope sling arrives and is useful LMH
    Was thinking about a trail run today but L won't fancy that! Always tomorrow!
    No more falls folks!
  • Hi guys, sorry I misse posting yesterday. I had an unexpected busy day in the office.

LMH: Don't know what to say - that's just awful news. Poor you :(
    I hear ya regarding your husband making a poor nurse. I had similar issues when my foot was done and I guess it's going to be the same again soon. 

Wabo: great to see you out running again :)

Sorry to hear that snow and ice are stopping play for most of you. Be careful out there. Yaktrax are a godsend :)

Just dull, grey and wet here but no snow. Luckily.

Managed 5 miles early doors to stock up on champagne as we'd run out. It was still dark and the moon was out for a bit before the next bank of clouds moved in.
  • I would have thought a trail run would be preferable Els or are your roads not Icy? Hope you had a nice run with your friend.

Nice early miles chicksta. You think your op is going to go ahead then? Hope so.

I felt really rough earlier - would have blamed the codeine but I’m only taking one when I try to go to sleep so I don’t think it can be that. I could really do without anything else/feeling worse!
  • Just back....managed to do a mile of trails and the rest on road....all the ice is gone today though! Nice to have a long chat....and a run! Windier though.
    Guess it could be the codeine LMH but doesn't sound that you've been having much!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Our walk was short as Lucas refused to put on hat or gloves and got far too cold on the swings so started crying. He screamed even more when I put my gloves on him so we abandoned and came home. He's fine now he's here!  Roads very very icy.

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad omg.

Sounds like a nice runs els.
  • Afternoon!

What: 20 minutes on ice and snow

Why: found my yaktrax!

Can you send the champagne this way please, Chick!

I'm not surprised that you feel rough, LMH: delayed shock, lack of sleep etc. You probably need the champagne, or red wine!

Yearly totals later.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    2021 summary: 

Today's 20 minute run (on snow and ice wearing yaktrax) brought up exactly 2103 kms for the year. Probably the highest for quite a few years. 366 days run, longest of which was 16k in September. Not got anywhere near that in the last ten weeks. The year started off badly with back and then hamstring issues; by Easter was training well but quite a deterioration from the week before October's biopsy and thereafter. Just about getting back into things again but not had a 50 km week since October 18th. Before that I had 18 out of 21 weeks over 50: there's always next year. 
    No races, but 8 parkruns, none of which were run hard.
  • 3.21 to cross the 2020 line with a Fetch buddy.
    Ice all gone but wind picking up.
    Lyrics yes (perhaps to be heard tonight?)

Moon last night

• Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • River and field at the end of my road. Colour photographs, not black and white!

And well done on getting to 2020, OH! 
  • It is nice to have someone different to chat to Els. Just 30mg codeine yesterday and the day before - I really don't think it should be that. May not take it tonight though and have a glass of something instead though I don't feel much like it at the moment.

Oh dear emzap, does Lucas usually object to hat and gloves?

Well done OH.

alehouse - I think you've done well considering the issues.
  •  Just the 2020 timeline, AH, only 1122.15 miles this year.
    Other than parkruns pre Covid and latterly the start of the cross-country, no races run this year.
  • V poor mileage for me this year but have enjoyed what I've done!
    One real event....Falkirk ultra in Feb....couldn't really call it a race more an exercise in mud running. Couple of virtual events.
  • That's over 1800 km, OH! Sounds much better!
  • 2019 was bad, 2020 worse - not convinced 2021 is going to be any better.
  • Positive thoughts please, LMH! I'm sure 2021 will be better, certainly the second half. 
  • I'm considering surviving Mays antics a big bonus but overall a tough year for everyone with covid even those not so badly hit. Currently pouring over my Christmas Jigsaw after a windy walk at waulkmill before darkness fell.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Loving the pictures.....

I have now been told I am not allowed to go into work as Clinically Extremely Vulnerable, till we are out of Tier 4 that we went into at midnight, so some what pi**ed off and my MH is taking a battering today...

New targets set for next year, a bit of a challenge, so will see how it works out)

Biking - 3750 miles (72.1m a week) mainly exercise bike but do want to get out more on the Hybrid (non battery)

Walking - 325 Miles (In effect 2 x 5k walks with the poles a week)

Hoping and praying for a better 2021 for you all and myself

God Bless, Matt XX (((())))
  • Shame about work, RFJ but probably for the best 🙏🏻

Not surprised you're feeling bad, LMH. Such misfortune and the outlook it brings with it messes with your head. Op still going ahead. Called the hospital yesterday to ask about Covid testing. They'll do a speed test on check-in. So, if my doc doesn't pardee 🥳 too hard tonight I should be all set. Tongue in cheek - there won't be any partying. Everything is in lockdown.

Loved the pics, guys.

Why ale, have you run out of champagne too ;)

The less is said about this year's miles,  the better. Certainly the lowest ever...

Took some colourful pics yesterday. Hamburg  lit up in lieu of fireworks.
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Much better than fireworks chicksta. Good news about your op. Maybe we'll be able to resume running at the same time.

Sorry to hear about work RFJ - can you use the time to make a good start on your targets (I'm guessing you can't work from home)?

I'm sorry alehouse I was speaking from a personal rather than CV19 perspective. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Els - sling arrived this afternoon and is much more comfortable, thank you. My friend is a nurse in ortho OPD and was a bit put out when I told her I'd ordered it, she said they never use them but I figured if I made it feel comfortable hanging (as it did in the collar and cuff) it must still be correctly aligned.
  • Chick...when is your date for? Hope it goes to plan X
    RFJ sounds hard for you but best to be safe . Things sound bad currently covid wise. Challenging targets for 2021...great to have a goal.
    Big covid outbreak in Shetland in last week....over 60 new cases population total just over 22000..
    No big plans for 2021 as who knows....currently doing virtual twelve days of Christmas run 1 mile on first day..2 on second etc except have been doing a bit more first 5 days....the last 4 days will be hard especially if wintry weather. But no pressure really.
    Still got leftover entries for Tiree ultra next sept if it happens/both of us fit enough.