Sub 3h15

Comments

• That's good news Gul!

So I'm now back up to 40 miles per week, which is still well below what I used to consider a cut-back, but still... Starting to feel like a runner again. My training diary for 2021 starts today and, assuming it goes ahead I have a 12 week build up to the Coventry Half (I'm not actually assuming it will go ahead to be fair, but you never know!). I have forgotten how to train for anything shorter than a marathon, so I have engaged the services of a coach. I know the chap and he coaches a friend of mine. So far he seems to be listening to me and not scheduling the type of session I hate (eg for time rather than distance - just can't wrap my head around those and always run too slowly), and is allowing me, once my base is rebuilt, to do my club interval sessions rather than insisting I do something on my own. Although tier 4/lockdown must surely be coming and I'll have no choice but to bash out solo sessions I suppose. Grrr. 

Glorious blue skies yesterday after Saturday's night's battering from Bella. The wind was freezing and noisy when it was in our faces, but imperceptible when at our backs and the beautiful sunshine made us too warm. One of those gloves on, gloves off, gloves on, gloves off kind of runs! 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, good to hear your wife was a negative test. 

Solid mileage, jools/oo. I ran 15 Sunday at a fairly sprightly (for me) 7.41mm to give me my first first 50m week since March. All easy miles given it was Xmas week. 

Despite running my highest ever Oct, November and December  totals and having pretty high January and February I'm well down on the year a March to August were derisory! 

Speedy, good call on the coach. Good he has taken on board your likes and dislikes, though he'll probably reserve the right to set sessions you might not like.

I agree, i have a sense of pending doom as to what we are about to be hit with on 30th. 

5m easy this morning and the rarity of snow so dug out the yaktraks and trail shoes for first time in 3 years. 
  • Speedy - taking on a coach sounds like a good idea.
    DT - still no snow here.
    Just went out for a run, but glute and hamstring not very happy at all so turned round and came home after half a mile. Might finish the year on a whimper.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Gul, how odd after a rest.
    Speedy good luck with the coach. Half M is a distance I've lost the knack to run. Ok at marathons and the short stuff but the half has me baffled, I'm 3-4 mins off the pace I used to run. So good luck with that and the rebuilding.
  • Hope the glute and hammy ease off, Gul.

Good luck with being coached, Speedy. I'd need pointers to peak for a half, too.

8 miles with 8 sets of strides and 6 sets of hill sprints this morning. Slight frost and a very few icy patches to dodge but generally a lovely start to the day.
  • Not so lovely here. It snowed and evidently wasn't expected to do so. I had to take the cat for her boosters in the morning and couldn't get the car back home up my hill. Had to struggle up with the cat basket, much to my neighbour's amusement. Then the snow stopped, the sun came out and melted just the top layer, making a slushy mess on top of ice. So I did my first faster run since injury on the treadmill. 
  • OO - I'm not sure but I think it might be related to moving furniture.
    Jools - nice session. A bit icy underfoot here too.
    Speedy - not a great day, but well done facing the dreadmill.
    Felt okay after stopping running yesterday, so ventured out this morning, albeit a little tentatively. Did 10 very slow miles before needing a comfort break and then couldn't be bothered to go back out and do any more.
  • Dom NorrishDom Norrish ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Hi everyone. Long-term middle of the pack marathoner here hoping to finally crack 3:15 in 2021. PB of 3:20 set in Spring '19, so hopeful that I can do it. Am here to take notice of your mileage totals & get out of the door more often/ for longer!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dom you came to the right place. Maybe tell us a bit more about your mara background. Certainly many on here started aiming for 3:15 and have got there and beyond.
  • 19 under the belt, but slow progress - first one (Paris 2010) was 3:52, and ten years of grind shaved 32 minutes off that! Self-coached, not a member of a club due to work patterns. I have a 1:28 HM PB from March 2020, which bodes well, and am finally correcting imbalances/ weaknesses with the help of a good physio.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I swapped out my tempo from Tuesday to tomorrow, speedy given the condition the hope i can do it on roads. 

Hi Dom, good to hear from you. Looking at current posters there's a few points of commonality-

1. We all started with a time slower than 3.15.
    2. We are all over 40 years old.
    3. We have all eventually beaten sub 3.15 and some sub 3.

I maybe be corrected on some of the above.

So some info would be useful. How old, where was the 3.20, where was the 1.28? That half suggests 3.15 is doable. My first sub 3.15 was 3.08 and just before I ran a 1.25 half.  

Nice little 7m progressive yesterday, startat 8.30 and finished at 6.30. Then I guessed we would hit tier 2 today so went for an off schedule spin class then a pleasant hilly 8m in the countryside late pm. 
  • Dom - welcome to the thread. Stick around and I'm sure you should have a great chance of going sub 3:15. Is that 19 maras? 
    DT - nice work. Hope the tempo goes well.
    15 miler with 37x400m tempo intervals (very relaxed ones!) to finish the year. Will report back with more stats later but I think that's 2,700 for the year 
  • Yes. it was 2700. Monthly totals: 294, 300, 282, 259, 177, 102, 274, 102, 75, 211, 313, 311. A consistently inconsistent year! Only 1 race, a mediocre HM, but it did include a solo marathon PB of 3:05:12 and a 48 mile solo plod. Enjoy the last day of this bizarre year everyone.
  • 1 more run to go for me (club session at 3pm today), but currently on 2,617 miles.  The last year I exceeded that was 2016.  That might explain why I'm now rather slow!
  • PS: welcome, Dom.
  • Hi all

2973 for me in 2020, but sadly I'm talking Kms not miles! Tempted to try and get that to 3000 today, but that would seem a bit of an arbitrary exercise.

I'm 44 and have run 19 marathons. The 3:20 was in Paris, the last time it was run, which is getting on for 20 months ago :o  The 1:28 HM was only 9 months ago - the Cambridge Half two weeks before lockdown #1.

Am currently entered for Edinburgh (still on for May, as I type), Paris (pushed to Oct), NY (Nov), Chicago (am deferring to 2022) and in the ballot for London (as ever...)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Upping you mileage may be the easiest way to improve your times Dom. That's my starter for 10😉
    I ran a marathon today, worked out that 26 miles would get me up to 2600 for the year. Unfortunately it was very icy so I ran to the track and then ran 88 laps before running home. I averaged a pace of 8:07 and ran out a a 3:32. Not bad off no specific training and it felt  very comfortable. A good way to give 2020 a sound kick up the arse and move on....
  • OO54 said:
    Upping you mileage may be the easiest way to improve your times Dom. That's my starter for 10😉
    Yes, the evidence is really very convincing on this point. TBF, I was injured for about month in the Autumn and stopped doing long runs (>13.1m) once all hope of an actual marathon disappeared around May/ June. I wanted my Sunday mornings back! I'd say my mileage in a normal year would be around 2500.

Interested to learn about people's strategies for achieving increased mileage. I've passed the point in my career in which double run days is a possibility, I think! I've also found that I do need 1 rest day in 7 to avoid injury.

A 3:32 solo marathon in today's conditions is seriously impressive by the way :smile:
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Gang! Just popping in to wish you all a happy and race filled New Year. Just one run this week, decided to rest the hip and start the running year on Jan 1st.

So, I bailed out of 2020 with 1650 miles, my second biggest ever. That will do nicely considering I had 3 injuries and COVID 19, so reckon I lost 6 to 8 weeks of running in total.

Welcome, Dom. We do similar distance by the look of it. I’m on 20 marathons and 53 years old. Set my PB of 3.01 in London last year, so you can defo smash 3.15. Stay tuned to the good folk on here and discover their secrets. Works for me!  B)

Thanks everybody for your continued inspiration, motivation and entertainment. Here’s to a better 2021 and not another shitshow.
  • An unspectacular 4 X c 0.75 miles on grass to round the year off. Legs were a bit sluggish and tight as I'm overdue a rest day, but a daylight club session is a treat in midwinter!

@Dom if you look at Pfitzinger and Douglas's Advanced Marathon book, their up to 70 mpw schedules (which took me from 3.19 to 2.49 over a number of years) are generally 6 single runs per week. I'm a big fan of a weekly rest day!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Just back from 10.5. That should have included 8m tempo run but staying upright at 8mm was a challenge so I settled for an mlr. 

That gives me 1543 for the year. Whilst October, November and December were my highest ever mileages for those particular months, I only ran 230m March to July which of course had a big impact. 

However, whilst garmin doesn't give me any time or distance stats for indoor cycling the consistent multiple I have is calories. This year o have burnt 79,000, which is more than 2018 and 2019 together, when I'd still say I was getting a good 2-3 spin classes a week in. 

Oo, great effort to end the year there!

Dom, how many maras a year are you running? In my view, you can only really properly train for, recover from, then train again for two really good cracks at a mara each year. After that, unless a 3rd one is at much reduced effort, you are compromising something. Others will have a different take.

Also in 2017 I ran 3.04 off a total annual mileage of 1500 and 2018 was 3.04 and 2.59 off 2000. Whilst we are all different in what we respond to i think 2000 ish miles a year is plenty to get you under 3.15, as per gdawgs comment above  so a modest increase would do the job I'm sure. 

I'm 44 also and take inspiration from many others on this thread  and others still getting better into their 50s. 

The best strategy in my view is the 80/20 principle of hard versus easy but easy being 8.00-8.30mm generally. Also many of us find benefits in x training. Oo, credits his swimming with gains and I swear by 2-3 high intensity spin sessions a week. 

Ultimately consistent consistency is the key and in turn injury avoidance. 

Gdawg, good to hear from you. Makes sense to cash in for this year early and start again next week. 

Happy New Year all! 
  • DT19 said:

Dom, how many maras a year are you running? In my view, you can only really properly train for, recover from, then train again for two really good cracks at a mara each year. After that, unless a 3rd one is at much reduced effort, you are compromising something. Others will have a different take.

Usually just 2 - one spring, one autumn. Had a bit of a pile up this year having unexpectedly got into Chicago and been asked to run Edinburgh with a friend. My plan was: Paris (early April, run with my wife at her pace), Edinburgh (late May, raced), Chicago (Sept, run easy), NY (Nov, run as hard as I had left). Needless to say, none of these things happened.

2021 still suffers from a fixture pile-up from this year. Vaccinations willing, it'll be: Edinburgh (May, raced), Paris (Oct, run with my wife at her pace), NY (Nov, raced). This assumes failing to get into London, which is normally a dead cert.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Impressive final run of the year OO

And an equally impressive last run for you Gul.

Given the miles, your recent HM was very impressive DT and you should be nicely set up for next year.

Hope the rest sorts out the hip G-D.

Welcome Dom - I'm a P&D fan as well. 

A bit of a poor end of the year for me - 136 miles from 16 runs in December but that included 9 runs in the last 9 days!  A year of two halves, with the mileage and enthusiasm going over the cliff edge after July.  That still gives me 3,268 miles for the year which is not far off the 2019 total.  Need to get the enthusiasm back in 2021 and get back in to marathon shape for Berlin.

Happy New Year everyone and stay safe.
  • 88 laps of the track???? You need your head examining OO! 

Welcome to Dom. Just for the record, running 88 laps of a track is not normal behaviour on here. 

I'm not sure what my mileage total is for this year, other than probably my lowest ever. I lost 22 weeks to the broken ankle, a chest infection and Covid 19 and a day or two reduced/binned when dad died and around the funeral. I think my highest mileage week of 2020 was roughly half of my highest week in 2019. Theoretically 2021 can't be much worse. 

It's basically Narnia where I live (on top of a hill) so I drove down to the river for a fartlek session today. It was crazy busy because it was a lovely day, even if there was ice on the ground, and people have nothing else to do as we're in Tier 4 here. My last 'effort' was supposed to be around 7.30 pace but with the wind behind me and fewer people to dodge on that particular stretch it came out at 7.16. Ridiculous to think I ran an entire marathon in 6.44s and now I'm doing 'efforts' at 7.16 pace. Only half a mile as well. It was very controlled, but still.... I wonder how long it will take to get my speed back. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You'll love the journey back to top form Speedy. Same for you GD.
    Still amazing miles SBD way beyond me.
    Some great stories and it's been a decent year on the thread given the lack of racing. Great to see some old timers back posting, and some new faces. See you all for more in 2021 🥂

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A rest day for me today, slightly overdue after 10 days without one!

Happy New Year, thread.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    And we’re off! 4 miles at 7.17 pace to kick start the year. Glute was sore but it’s one I’ll just have to run through, it will improve.
    Felt fat on the run and this was backed up by what the bathroom scales told me today. Always the same after Christmas, usually put on a few pounds, the mission to lose them begins. 
    Trails and mud tomorrow.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Rest day here too. The marathon seems to have taken care of my Xmas flab, back to my normal 11:09 today. 
  • Jools - nice annual mileage.
    Dom - you might also try focussing on shorter distances for a while and have a break from mara training.
    OO - bonkers way to end the year. Well done 👍
    DT - will be interesting to see how you fare in 2021.
    SBD - that's still some monster miles :)
    Speedy - a few months and I'm sure you'll be flying again.
    GD - nice start to the year.
    Rest day yesterday and 10 steady miles today. Happy new year everyone.
  • A big one today compared to the gentle bimbling I've been doing of late. 5 miles 'tempo' (not really, but not plodding) followed by 5 x 3 minute hill reps, then weights this afternoon. 3 minutes is an awful long time when you're going uphill!