Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     :D 
    Multiple times plays my habit down quite respectably so I'll take that :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right - track today.

Had a bit of a "difference of opinion" with another fellow on the track which wasted a bit of time and was a little stressier than you'd like

So I decided to edit the original plan of 2x3miles off 2mins with 2miles 6.10-6.15 1mile threshold to what became

3miles-2m-1m off 2mins with the last half mile of each being threshold. (Ironically this actually took longer than the other version)

Started too fast for the 3m - with first 2 laps around threshold and I note now I only did 7 laps for the 2mile spell (i blame taking a 2 lap split on rep 1 plus taking the "9metres per mile extra" split at the end, which threw all the numbers out)

But finished with a 1.26 lap for lap 4 of mile 3 - so all in all - as per expected.
    Not as windy as last week thank goodness or I might well have binned the last mile.

• Don't be a tease SG, I'm sure I am not the only one more interested in the 'difference of opinion' bit, was it a full size person?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Joe I knew you were a media whore but you've sunk to new levels becoming part of the propaganda  :)

Nice gloves, hope they kept you warm with your shorts and t-shirt. Personally I am wearing a thermal base layer at the moment! Nice and warm today though.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And most importantly Joe, where's your flat cap in that picture???

SG - spill the beans.....

• SG - I'm not going near my track for a while...far too much scope for 'differences of opinions'

Big reps on a track..my 2k in the middle of the pyramid was bad enough!

Joe - Other problem with me, my legs look skinnier each year, think i'm wasting away. Can't help with running can it? Another excuse I can use for my poor form ;)

• Joes pic - was expecting "Man running (2.39 PB)".
  • No flat caps on training runs Bus - special occasions only. My hair's getting so long though, I can no longer run without something on my head.

The much anticipated 'year in review' post is online if anyone's bored on a slow Monday afternoon;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2021/01/10/2020-review-racing-training-summary/
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Simon - you should be getting faster then. Have you seen how skinny Mo Farah's legs are?

I'll make myself a coffee and settle down Joe :smile:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Joe, it would have to be a very slow Monday afternoon to be still going on at nearly 4pm Tuesday :)

First go at a Brick sesh today to try and get round the choice between running or cycling. Bit of a faff as wanted to cycle to WGP, run whilst there then cycle back, so had to use the hybrid and choose kit I could do it all in (running shoes, base layer etc.) and take a lock for the bike and helmet. Worked out ok as an experiment, about 8k each way on the bike and 10k run in the middle. Will prob repeat about once a week during lockdown.

Nice track sesh SG; your forum fans still await to see if there are any more details ;)  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Yeah I think I've entertained enough over the years so we'll leave that one.

I did almost get surprised by how deep a puddle was...TWICE...on the warm up though - just to keep the "ridiculous moments" locker full up.

Joe - will have a read next monday ;)
    In fairness I had a read when you fb'd it. Good stuff as always.
    Not enough mentions of the thread for my liking. But good stuff in all.

ps I'm 17/18 weeks without a haircut now.  The fact I sort of think that I'm "getting away with it" either shows I've become ludicrously deluded with so long outside of "Normal" people's company, or that hair growth doesn't half bloody slow over the years!
  • Thoroughly enjoyed a catch up of the previous 24 hours on here.

SG a definite story tease - although I fear it has got too big now to reveal its origins. 

Bus getting mad - I like it. Big kudos for the beer on the bike. That is style. 

Joe timing his annual review with his appearance in the metro.

Reg revealing his soft side with thermal layers. How is the calf, BTW?

Struggling a bit to fit everything in at the moment, despite a lack of commute. Planned session (non-buggy) got swapped for with buggy. 10M at 7:23 average including 12 x 20 single arm strides. Obviously using just one arm isn’t going to help with perfect form, but it’ll have to do. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It's a good way of getting that compromise run in SQ, that's for sure.

Nice, er, sesh SG and good persevering on the faffing Pete!

50 mins of Lake Garda in the garage tonight. Pleasant enough once I'd got my bloody Bluetooth headphones to work properly. Tonight's beer was a bottle of 7.3% McEwans Champion (my beer cupboard is un/fortunately right next to the turbo trainer!). I did well not to crash out on the descent!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    SQ - Reg is a lovely boy really - don't let his last couple of day's posts make you think differently :D 

I did a few mins of a buggy run in the summer helping a pal out. And it's certainly not easy! You must be a pro by now though.

Over 2.2m vaccinated now. Think there's about 12m or so in the top 4 priority groups? I suppose those remaining 10m need to be vaccinated as a minimum before we see lockdown out? So a minimum of 5-6 weeks minimum even if they utterly nail the efficiency.
  • Don’t worry SG, I’ve got all the time in the world for Reg. Takes no bullshit, speaks his mind and always explains his reasoning. Great chat and banter at Abo/Wokey as well 😃. 
    Come on Bus. You need the alcohol strength and mountain incline to match 😆 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    LOl - Thunderbird it is for the next Alpine climbs then :smiley:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_mile

Get your entry in Bus; you'll be in with a real chance with all this training😅
  • Apart from the faff, how were your legs for the brick run Pete
    That’s a pokey beer at any time Bus let alone whilst cycling.
    17 weeks SG? I’m over 3 years without a haircut 🤣
    Must be messing with your normally faultless session details. We only got a single lap split & no more!
    Regular trot round the lumpy lanes for me: 9.5 yesterday & 10.6 today both involved over 1400’ of climbing. My new regular running route is a helluva lot hillier than the canal lunch runs & commutes. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Legs not too bad Jools (though they would be if I tried to match your impressive distance and elevation!). As you no doubt know from your duathlons/tri's its just the first half mile or so after you get off the bike where they feel a bit wobbly, but after that you get into your stride. Its not like a race duathlon though as you have about a 3 min break whilst locking up the bike, kit adjustment, walking to the start of the run etc.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    3 years Jools?!

Another 9 today. It's funny how we talked about pace of runs in the summer. Like I said at the time - more sleep, all day to do them, warmer weather, and some of the sessions being more freestyle segs or steady ones certainly increases normal pace.

Change that to cold and bleak, having got up 6am, knowing you need to get in and ready for 9am for work and re-applying sessions and not surprisingly the normal pace tends to be a bit lower.

Today was 7.40 though in fairness that had a mid 9s trawl up some muddy grassy 200+ feet climb and a woods mile of trudging late doors. 
    Splits it up though.

Always good when it's done for the day so early though. Just doesn't feel great at 6ish knowing what needs to happen :)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Sorequads said:
    Don’t worry SG, I’ve got all the time in the world for Reg. Takes no bullshit, speaks his mind and always explains his reasoning. Great chat and banter at Abo/Wokey as well 😃. 
    Come on Bus. You need the alcohol strength and mountain incline to match 😆 
    Just quoting this for SGs benefit  :D although in Ric's absence we do need someone to break up the love-in. Any civilised society need voices challenging popular opinion and policy, it's the cornerstone of democracy. Sadly we have a large contingent of society that are intolerant to a diversity of views. The media have failed us in this regard on Covid, but they need to make money and 'blood leads.' They will turn on a sixpence when it's over and the public enquiry begins.

I'm going against the grain again I am afraid as I regularly cut my own hair! It grows pretty fast just not in all the places it used to so I don't have the luxury of letting it get too long.

Calf isn't too bad thanks SQ and after several niggles and three walks home in the last few weeks, I have started on some strength and conditioning. When Youtube isn't censoring anything that challenges the narrative, it's an excellent repository and I have found some good stuff on there. Key for me is max of three exercises that I can do easily.

There's a chap on there called James Dunne doing lots of running specific stuff which appears reassuringly presented.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You certainly do "challenge the narrative" Reg :D 

Lit put me on to some youtube clips for some pilates once. Like an idiot though I not only did the full set on day 1 - but I did two full sets on day 1.
    That locked my hamstrings up for what actually took about 6 months to fully release if I remember correctly! 6 months!

After that I decided I'd just stick to a general regime of  a few mins post run of normal stretching - or if I had a potential niggle a bit more targeted stuff.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I guess if it's not broken, SG but I don't have that luxury because it is often broken! I know I have some stability issues with a pelvic drop as my foot brushed my calf so I am going to work to do a split squat to improve that. the other two are skipping and an arabesque thing but I need to rewatch the video.
  • T-Bird Bus? Now we're talking. That was one of my best uni moments - drinking T-Bird out of a brown paper bag on a park bench, with my mates looking out of the pub window pointing and laughing. Great days..(Blue or red label though..)

9.5 this morning..felt ok on the way back and remembered that a Leighton Fun Runner had an easy Strava segment crown quite close to home. So being a 2nd claim LBAC man I thought i'd better take it off him. Nearly down to 11 stone now - aiming for 10 3/4 race weight so going in the right direction.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    if you can remember whether it was the blue or red label that was stronger Simon, you can’t have been drinking enough of it 😂😂😂
  • The Bus said:
    if you can remember whether it was the blue or red label that was stronger Simon, you can’t have been drinking enough of it 😂😂😂

Well back in the day drinking Blue label was linked to 'not particularly manly' behaviour

Different times etc etc....

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - good boozing and turbo combo. Do you particularly like the darker stronger beers (crafty hen ? King goblin?). Im more ipa and golden beer, but dont mind the odd darker beer too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reading you lot chatting about booze reminds me of being dragged to a "dinner party" years ago with a gf of the time. She knew the other 4. I'd never met them.
    Nodding and fake smiles didn't last the evening :D 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Depends on mood TR (and sometimes food!) but a definite preference for the darker, fuller flavours in the winter. 

You learn something new every day Mr C 😉