Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I can see a time this year when UK will be classed as safe due to vaccinations, but travel only being allowed to other countries of similar level.

There a vaccination tracker website where you can see each vaccination rolling onto the count. UK are going well. Other countries are a long way behind.

Covidvax.live

UK will hit 3 mil today.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably do it in July, having run London 2018 it's manageable with a sensible approach. Yes, it's all well and good the UK doing a top job delivering vaccines, but for 'normality' we are reliant on the rest of the world doing similar. 

We really should see a huge change in about 4 weeks with that many vaccines delivered and the impact of lockdown. I just hope they get the approach right this time as it was disastrous last August/September with eat out scheme, people being encouraged to return to office, schools reopening and students off to uni all at the same time. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm also in Berlin in September and may reserve a hotel soon, but leave flights until the last minute. Personally I think all the autumn city marathons are doubtful given the numbers involved. If they happen though I'll certainly be there fit and ready to roll.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Happy new year folks 🥳! I hope you have all stayed well since I was last on here. The second half of the year intervened and the schools resuming and my studies seemed to take up all my time. Certainly not my running which was very sporadic but I have now taken to staying off the roads and trails while the weather is so wet and funnily enough can get some consistency in on the treadmill. I am on Zwift which is useful to stave off the boredom and running around Paris and Yorkshire (apparently). Will keep a closer eye on you all from now on. I see there are some unfamiliar names - hello! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you back on here MsE, although I follow you on other social media platforms 😉
    We have been graced with a number of returning faces of late, including Joolska and Speedy Goth so you are in good company 👍

• MsE - good to hear from you.
    15 miles this morning; 1 warm-up, 6 @ 7:55 and 8 @ 7:17/m.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you again, MsE.
    Solid morning work there, Gul with some quick miles too, nice.

Work and a dislike of running in the dark in the morning meant I ended up doing my first night run of the winter last night. 6 miles comprising 10 hill reps. Forst session like that for a while, quite enjoyed it.

Got out at lunchtime today for 8 very muddy miles. A good workout but conditions made it very slow.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, yes hotels are easy to cancel and refund. Flights less so. I want to have a decent crack at an October London plus I'd like to run Berlin off a gfa qualification. 

Hi, MsE, good yo hear from you. 

Gul, nice long one there. 

Gdawg, same here, but without the mud. 

Solid session yesterday of 20 x 400m off 45s. Meant to be at 10k-5k pace but I find it very difficult over 400m to pace that accurately. Smash the first 100m then it's tough to bring it back on plan. Average moving pace was 5.39 so probably a bit faster than what I think 5k pace might be now. 

My weekly hilly but easy run today of 8m coming in 7.49mm for a very low effort hr of 135. 

Light day tomorrow before tempo Friday. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    20*400 is a tough sesh DT 👍
  • GD - nice hill reps. Tried a night time run a few times and felt awful :)
    DT - cracking session.
    13 slow, cold and wet miles this morning.
  • I was supposed to do intervals today, although not 400s. But it has been snowing all day and I can't get out until I finish work, so it will have to be a steady one instead. Just debating trail shoes. I doubt I need the Yaxtrax, which is lucky because I can't remember where they are...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had a snow run in a couple of years. Lucky you 😉
  • It wasn't snow by 5pm. Too many people walking on it. It was filthy, thick slush. Just as hard work but your feet get wetter!

• 8 mile recovery run ( plus some shopping).
  • Speedy - shame about the ruined snow. Just a little bit of snowfall during the day here yesterday but no chance of it settling after all the rain. I can't remember the last time I had a run in the snow :(
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Friday already? Time flies in lockdown...

Started the day with the washing machine repair man coming after a three week wait. He had to liberate a quilt that was stuck in there and then fix the blockage. I cannot tell you how happy I am to have it working again with all four kids at home and a husband who leaves the laundry to his wife. I love my family but after being in lockdown for the third time and hand washing their smalls, my patience was wearing thin. As I said to Mr Miele, it is not natural to be together this duration of time without a break, man and wife and teenage children!

Then hopped onto the mill for a Zwift run. I'm sticking to the mill for the foreseeable and the decision has meant I can focus on consistency which is a pleasant surprise. without worrying about wandering dogs and where I am planting my feet, I can turn over and get cracking on my fitness. 7 miles in the bag.

Gul - you are looking so fit! Are you finding good routes to run or are you doing laps of a field again?

GD - nicely done with the session and trail miles. How's the injuries? Have you seen the back of them now?

DT - 20 x 400s is something else. I am going a gentle Zwift plan that had me doing 6 at the start of the week and I found that hard work! Your fitness and speed endurance is clearly pretty high.

Speedy - nicely done on the slush run. Sending you an extra virtual hug. You've had a helluva year.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I had a little jaunt in the snow just after Xmas which was quite enjoyable, though left my hips a bit sore. I expect they had to work in a slightly different way to stabilise me.

Nice 8, Gul, though short for you!

MsE, yes it can all get a bit fraught that is for sure. In the first lockdown I couldn't even exercise due to injury, whereas as at least this time there is that escape. You seem to be back to pretty well now after up and downs you've had. Yes, i'm pretty sure i'm in the shape of my life right now.

Just been out for my weekly tempo with 1m wu and cd then 8m alternating between mara pace and hmp. Splits came out 6.46, 6.13, 6.44, 6.04, 6.42, 6.05, 6.36 and 6.05. Average pace was 6.25 and average HR was a meagre 157, which is about my lowest for that pace and distance.

Now, as expected the mp miles felt very pedestrian immediately after the hmp miles and I had to work hard to pull the pace back. However, what came as the biggest surprise was just how comfortable the hmp miles felt.

Something has definitely changed in the last 2 weeks. Everything feels faster but easier.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    MsE, Miele is the way to go. Our washer and drier have lasted us c18 years so far, and through 3 kids until they left home. Never had a fault and still going strong. Which is good, as the price for a new one has doubled. I think my hip will give in before the Miele 😆 By the way as Mrs OO is still working  I've become the washing guru here- although I'd definitely draw the line at hand washing smalls....

Very icy here so I stuck to the beach- 5* 0.4 miles at 6:05 pace. It's looking like a 50+ week.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    MsE - we've had the builders in for a few months and was without a washing machine (and dishwasher) for 12 weeks which was fun :) No snow and just a bit of frost/ice here so far this winter so no problem with running routes.
    DT - very impressive tempo.
    OO - good beach reps.
    Only woke up about an hour ago and decided to take a rest and crack on with the decorating (builders finally finished yesterday after 17 weeks).
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Slush here today in Surrey.  No snow much to the disappointment of MsEtte3

DT - bottle that feeling. You are definitely ingrate shape. Those varying pace sessions are so hard. Much easier to progressively speed up than to rein it in again and again.
    OO - nice paces on the sand. You certainly are not getting slower with age!
    Gul - 12 weeks without a machine would have almost certainly destroyed me. That is amazing resilience.

I've been reading Older Yet Faster by Keith Bateman and Heidi Jones. Keith is the holder of numerous age group world records including a sub-31 10K at over 55 or something like that and he is now in his 70s and still running strong. It is interesting reading at a time when I have started to realise what lies at the root of many of my injuries. They advocate a lot of foot strengthening and do barefoot running or using minimal shoes to allow you to fully appreciate the motion. I think I will try incorporate some barefoot work to remind myself to run efficiently. Landing beneath the hip is easier to feel when not shod! I have been filming to see where i land on the treadmill and it is interesting to see how shoes affect you. I bounce a lot shave to be mindful not to overstride which, when you tend to forefoot plant, can be disastrous.  Have ditched the over cushioned shoes and said goodbye to the Hokas.

Morning Zwift group run of 8.64mi followed by a further 6 miles to make up the long run for today. It is really hard to run these group runs easy and I always end up with a tempo effort. I guess there is life in the old dog yet 😂
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    ingrate shape is clearly autocorrect for in great shape  ;)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff, MsE. At 53 I'm inspired by older runners (some on here) and the times they achieve, I still have a chance to get quicker if I listen, learn and apply myself correctly.

Cracking stuff DT, so impressed mate.

Yep, Surrey was cold and slushy this morning. Met a mate and we ditched the trails in favour of 15 road miles. Picked a quiet route and had a jolly good chat. The miles seemed to fly by and before we knew it we'd finished and averaged 8.03 pace with very slight pace deviation all the way, nice and consistent. 

More importantly, the hip/glute pain was minimal and no real reaction after. Nearly there.
  • Solid rain in East Anglia promised to add wet feet and freezing hands in sodden gloves to the otherwise joy of finding a route that "begins and ends at my door" for my long run. I folded and did 90 minutes on the treadmill instead. Not sure that was preferable!
  • It pissed it down here too, but at least it washed the snow and slush away. Took me hours to warm up after my session though. Total 10 miles with 4 tempo then 8 x 90 second hills. The trouble was how cold I got in the recoveries and the cool down. Chilled to the bone! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    MsE - I should have said that it wasn't during lockdown, so Mrs GD took the washing to her parents - still a real pain. Interesting book; I think I could do with some foot/ankle strengthening. Nice easy / tempo run.
    GD - pleased the glute seems fine, but disappointed you didn't go for the slushy trails:)
    Dom - just on the edge of East Anglia here and a bit of snow early morning turning to rain. Forecast is for sun this morning, hope you have the same and can get outdoors :)
    Speedy - good work - hope you've warmed up now.
    Another rest / decorating day here.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    90m on treadmill, you're braver than me, Dom! 

Great news on the glute pain, g-dawg. Nice 15! 

MsE, thanks, it's all going very well right now. Every run seems to produce some extra fitness! I tend to focus on my glutes and core to remedy my niggles. Though doing many of those exercises bare footed actually gets the feet and ankles working hard to stabalise you when on 1 foot. 

Speedy, yes it's easy to very quickly get called if doing a session with more than a few mins recovery, when it's pushing freezing. 

Hope the decorating went well, Gul. 

Easy 15 today, 7.45mm at 139bpm. I used to target just under 140bpm average for a 5m recovery run at 8 20s or so. I consciously held myself back first half but felt like I was shuffling along. I'm struggling mentally to adapt my paces having spent so long running 8mm ish pace easy but today's 15 has taken nothing at all out of me, even in my legs as I run up and down the stairs, which I guess when it comes in at recovery effort it won't. 

I definitely think I'd go sub 80 half now, so on that premise, 7.45mm for a long run isn't outlandish?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Some ice here too in the North East so just a nice steady 15 plod today, and 55 for the week. 
    I don't know how you do it Dom, I hate treddies...
    DT you seem to be in awesome form. You'll just have to cork it for now and just avoid injury 🤞
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, MsE.

11 with 6 X 1 mile yesterday - a bit erratic in the efforts with a spread of 6.49 down to 6.31 - and then 18 today to make 54 for the week .

• DT - you're obviously in great shape.
    OO - nice weekly miles.
    Jools - still a good interval session.
    Decorating was interrupted yesterday by a covid vaccination (Mrs GD works at a medical practice and they wanted to vaccinate staff's households). A bit more done this morning (emulsion finished in 1 room) and then a short run. 7 miles with 2x2M (6:30, 6:21 & 6:22, 6:33).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Solid tally, OO. Yes, injury is of course the main risk when we consider the 'what's the worst that could' in terms of bashing on regardless.

I have a similar session this week Gul, with 3 x 2m. Nice work. That's good that they are doing the whole household given we don't quite know how the vaccine fully protects people and their ongoing ability to transmit it to others.

4m recovery run in a bit.