Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, they obviously are an improvement over the zoom streaks I used to race in, but how much I am not sure.

One thing I do know is that for this race, I wore exactly the same shoes as I did for my last half mara in February which ended with a similar sized pb, therefore this one was all my own training gains as opposed to a leap following a upgrade in footwear.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Yeah I guess its difficult to tell exactly how much difference they make when so many factors affect performance. Seems to be different for everyone as well.

Ps I hope you don't think I was implying the PB was down to the shoes. I'm just interested as someone that has never tried them, but would be keen to if I ever got back into racing shape.
  • All shoes introduce variations in pace for your effort output so it’s probably best measured in terms of difference between shoe models with the next% being the equivalent of the old lightweight racer standard of ‘fast’. Fwiw I found about 15 secs per mile improvements at marathon effort between the vaporfly and the shoes I would normally train in at the time (Saucony) when I was sceptical about the effects of shoes.

• Fwiw I found about 15 secs per mile improvements at marathon effort between the vaporfly and the shoes I would normally train in at the time (Saucony) when I was sceptical about the effects of shoes.

Which is a huge difference over any of the distances we race over.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well my half pb pre vaporflys was 83.39 in 2017, 3 more years hard training and vaporflys and I'm still not quite 15s per mile faster over that distance. 
  • You are 3 years older though DT ;)
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    It sure is Skinny. I did race in those heavier training shoes (Saucony Freedom ISO, I recall now). I used them for my first marathon (and Wilmslow half in 2017) and my legs were utterly battered after both, so that's another plus for the Vaporfly.

I have raced slower than my pre-Vaporfly pbs wearing Vaporflys because I wasn't as well trained as I was for those pb races. This is a matter of timing more than lack of application - I was building back after injuries and so on.

Of course we're both 3 years older now DT and you have to factor that into things too when comparing the return of training and shoes (not to mention the courses the pbs were run on).  Figure out how much your wava has improved over those 3 years ? The shoe comparison was done three days apart during the same week, on the same route with similar weather conditions.
  • x-post with Lit ! Great minds etc.
  • Quiet on here......

Still managing out and did 6x800mm reps on Thursday happy with the effort and 13mls on Saturday, 8mls last night and some miles with my daughter tonight.

Hope everyone is doing ok
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good going, Kevin.

I'm ticking over also, 8m at 6.33mm Friday, 16m yesterday recovery 6 today, just busy with the kids as wife still working so lots to sort. 
  • Glad to see this post is still going and sorry for my absence.

I became a father in March and he's completely wiped me out! I've not had the drive nor the energy to get out and although I managed to get out for the odd bike ride it's just not happened. I've chosen to spend the months mostly doing DIY whilst "Working From Home" in between changing nappies!

Anyway, I can now devote some time to getting my fitness back and have been for the odd run. It was good to get back out even if I was blowing out my a** for the majority of it.

A target for this year is to break my 5k record which stands at 19:14. I think this is within reach. If I'm to give myself the best chance of this happening I think I need to do some resistance band exercises to strengthen parts of my body I've previously neglected (smaller muscles around the knee etc).

Summary? Well unfit. Enjoyed getting back out though and missed that post-run feeling.

Cheers and a Happy New Year to all.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi David, good to hear from  you! It's been very quiet on here. 

Congrats on fatherhood, is that the first? 

I've been cracking on despite Xmas. 51m Xmas week, for my first 50m week since March, all easy though then 49m this week with just the one session being yesterday's mixed pace long. 4m wu then 2 x 4m at mp off 1m then 1m cd. The 9m came out 6.45 so mara pb pace but the mp sections came out 26.20 and 26.05 so around 6.35 pace then 6 30 pace. Pretty slippy out there as well so pleased with that. 

Back to normal routine next week with 13 weeks to Dorney mara. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Afternoon and Happy New Year everyone. 

Good to see DT keeping the thread alive!

DH - good to see you back on here (as well as on Strava), congrats on the addition to the family

Due to a combination of work and CBAness, I didn't do a great deal of running in December. However, I have renewed enthusiasm after going for a 7 mile cross country run at the weekend. Fitness is definitely lacking but hoping that a few weeks of easy running will get me back on track. Will try to post on here more regularly too as that helps with motivation. 
  • DT19 - Hope you're good. Yes, first child (probably the last if I have anything to do with it). Oscar. He's interesting, especially now he can crawl.

Well done on the continued efforts. Your commitment is brilliant. I haven't had the chance to go back through the pages on this thread (not doing them all) but have there been any PBs or interesting races/runs?

Hi Tom - Nice going on the 7 miler and 'not a great deal of running' is still better than no running at all! You've reminded me to have a look on the AllTrails app for some routes near me. I'd like to get off the pavements as much as I can this year but realise it's going to be hard.

Lit - congratulations on your great news. I tried to convince my wife 2 guinea pigs were enough for us. I failed miserably.

Really should have said this in my previous post but I hope all here and your families have managed to stay as safe and as well as possible during these times.

Cheers
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    HNY all and congrats to Lit and DH

Extremely minimal running happening here due to a combination of workload, winter and CNBA fairy.

Hope everyone is well, a childhood pal was a covid victim 3 weeks ago. He and his family came down with symptoms and he passed away a week later. Stay safe all.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tom, be good to see some more regular posting here.

DH, not sure when you last looked in but following a few pbs in January to March I raced gor first time in December and set a decent hm pb of 80.39. 

Mace, sorry yo hear about your friend, this really is a savage situation! 

Kids being sent home is a complete game changer for me. The schools have got things pretty slick and full on, however the problem is young children can't just log on and get on with it, you basically need to sit with them throughout which when you both have intense ft jobs us simply not feasible. Still  8m easy today but little to no work done! 
  • Really sorry to hear that mace. 

80mins for a HM is good going DT. Bet you were pleased with that. I'd like to have another crack at a half and get that sub 90 ticked off. Perfectly achievable I think if I get some good mileage in.

I too will try and post a little bit more as I could do with the motivation. I also need a good kick up the ass sometimes.

• So sorry to hear about your pal Mace.

I've been poorly and not done any running for a while.  Illness came shortly after a Covid outbreak and two week isolation from the Muddysonster's school. I was knackered for about 3 weeks right through Christmas.  I just started running again but still suffering an odd headache.

Nice to see DH and Tommy back at it.

DT - I've just arranged to go to 50% hours for the duration of this lockdown. It's the only way to do the home schooling, otherwise he loses interest. We can get through the set work in 2 - 3 hours but then there's assembly, PE and school dinners to sort out, so not much chance of working at all.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Have you gone for pt furlough then? I'm tempted to suggest my wife asks to be furloughed until end of Feb. I dont suggest her over me in a sexist manner but I earn almost double and the nature of my role is providing a personal professional service in an sme compared to hers being part of a big team at Lloyd's banking. 

I had a meltdown this morning myself as I've lost my freedom completely to just go out running etc whenever work has a lull and it looked like I might not get out. Last lockdown I was injured and in a sense of acceptance, but this time I'm fit and well and used to working from home without kids and doing what I want. 

I hadn't realised you'd been ill, Muddy. Sounds like you may have had covid then. 

Sub 80 is the target that counts now though, DH. 
  • Spoken like a true addict DT !

I've requested part time furlough but it's at employers discretion. I will lose out financially, but I'm hoping lockdown is not going to extend much beyond March, though they are being non-committal on when schools will reopen. I'm not sure I could sustain the hit through till May/June.

• Lit - congratulations on your great news. I tried to convince my wife 2 guinea pigs were enough for us. I failed miserably.

We had two guinea pigs but they both died.
  • literatin said:

Lit - congratulations on your great news. I tried to convince my wife 2 guinea pigs were enough for us. I failed miserably.

We had two guinea pigs but they both died.
    Sorry to hear that. We lost one not long before Christmas and struggled to get a friend for the remaining pig due to Covid. They're getting on fine though so fingers crossed that continues.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    It's okay - it was a while ago and they were very old (7 or 8). The last guinea pig had actually never really liked her 'sister' and was actually happier alone I think! So even though they are meant to have a friend, yours might actually be fine with it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, yes it was a bit like someone had removed my IV line of methadone and it wasn't clear where it would next come from!! I don't see schools opening before Easter, particularly as Easter is very early this year. Though at current infection and death rate, along with the vaccine roll-out everyone will be immune or dead by the end of Feb!

I got out for a solid session yesterday, 9m with 6 x 1m off 1 min. I'd had a bottle of wine Tuesday night following the stresses of the day so planned to just cruise the reps. However when the first one came out 6.00 the gauntlet was laid down. Remaining reps were 6.01, 5.54, 6.01, 5.52 and 5.55.

Weight is pretty much back  down to the low it peaked at mid December so I just need more races to happen in the late Spring.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    52m for the week with 15 today and a decent tempo Friday. 

Today's 15 was a struggle to slow down. came in 7.38mm for entry level easy hr. Feel like last 10 days I've had a little boost in fitness.  Everythjust feels a bit faster and easier.  
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    DT good mileage, you are in great shape, pity about races

Muddy, hope home schooling is going good and you are getting better 

Hi David, any miles for last week

Mace sorry to hear about your friend, sad times. Have you managed any runs

Getting in some miles but hampered by some bad weather last week, 10miles on Saturday and would like to get that back up to 14mls by February

Stay safe everyone
  • Just popping in to say Happy New Year and to hope everyone is safe and well.  

After the first lockdown in spring, and feeling like I had to choose between exercising kids/dog and myself, I lost all motivation and began the "maybe go out for a shamble once a week, eat all the pies and drink all the wine" training regime.  I can report that it's very enjoyable but will tend to make you fat  :#

Anyway, tentatively trying to mend my ways although have already fallen off of Dry January in favour of Moist January.  But ran 4 times last week which is good.  Need to get into the habit of forcing myself out of the door.  

Homeschooling is challenging but as we are classed as an arms length public sector body, no scope for furlough.  Could reduce hours but a lot of faff when they may go back at some point.  So we are managing with a combo of employer being reasonably flexible and catching up on work at unsociable hours.  

We have remained well, despite several periods of self-isolation resulting from having a son at secondary school.  As yet we remain a Covid-free zone.  Sorry to hear about your friend, Mace.  It's scary out there.  
  • Hi McFlooze - loving Dry January becoming Moist January.

I ran a bit over Christmas but kitchen gutted at home, year end, Brexit and Covid are just killing my energy levels to go for a run.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying our new different lives - I found Christmas a much more relaxing experience than normal.

Cheers, Skinny

• New kitchen?  How exciting?  We spent 5 months of 2019 going into 2020 mid kitchen extension and the struggle is real but worth it in the end.  Glad you're doing ok but similarly feeling your lack of energy.  

I DO really like my new working wardrobe of joggers paired with either hoodie or smartish jumper depending if I'm having a Teams call with externals or not!  May correlate with the expansion of waistline now I have decided jeans are my enemy. 

Peering out of the window thinking I may take advantage of the lack of rain today and go for a run? 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Keep it going, Kevin, some good miles there. 

Hi, Skinny. Yes there's lots of reasons not to run for sure.

Mcf, same here re the work wardrobe, much more comfortable than a daily shirt and tie. It was a lovely day out there today, sunny and still. 

I had intervals today, 20 x 400m off 45s. Meant to be at 10k pace, progressing to 5k pace if feeling good. It's hard to gauge and adjust over 400m though so slowest was 1.27 and fastest were last two at 1.21 and 1.20. Nice to blow the cobwebs and I didnt find it overly strenuous as I was stopping every 85s or so.