2021 in 2021

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    48k completed after 8k today, so takes me to 1973.

In 1973 I was embarking on my second term at uni, and in those days most people got a grant. Mine was the princely sum of £385 per year, or just under £130 per term. No university fees to pay, of course. Anyway I blew most of my second term's grant on a pair of soft contact lenses, £105! Hardly anybody had heard of contact lenses and certainly not soft ones, and they were the first pair that the optician had fitted! I wonder how much £105 would be in today's money? Thank goodness that I had a lucrative summer holiday job. 

Hope that you are adding all the extra decimal points on this year Cal! Or keeping a separate tally just in case! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 40 down, which leaves 1981 to go. In 1981, MS-DOS was launched, and in AD40, Emperor Caligula launched an unsuccessful campaign to invade Britain.
  • Another 8 done today, taking me to 67 which is apparently a rap group from South London, where I'm from.
  • More importantly 67 is my age, Cal!

1957k to go, so 64k completed. 64 seems a long time ago now but even longer ago The Beatles released "When I'm 64". 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 52km down - the number of white keys on a typical 88 key piano.
  • alehouse - and I was born in 1967. I officially pre-date the moon landings.
    mussessein - I thought of you when I was slogging up Hell Hill today.
    Very hilly 17 miler today, taking me to 84 and leaving me with 1937 to do.
    1937 was the year of the Hindenburg disaster - oh the humanity!
  • I thought of going to the woods today, and tackling that hill - I was wondering whether all the mud might have frozen to make a change from the mud bath it's been recently. I decided to stick to slightly more predictable footing in the end. 
  • Well, Hell Hill and its neighbour, Rock Hill, are both hard path. I did avoid the muddy ones around Anerley though and stuck to the road hills.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 36.8 k done, leaving 1984, well it wasn't quite the 1984 aldious Huxley talked about, was it?? 

1984 - Miners' strike begins and pits the National Union of Mineworkers against Margaret Thatcher's Conservative government intent on free market reform of the nationalised industries, which includes plans for the closure of most of Britain's remaining coal pits.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • 83k completed, so 1938 to go. 

"Peace for our time" was a declaration made by the British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain in his 30 September 1938 remarks in London concerning the Munich Agreement where he and Hitler had agreed to peace. It was not to be long lasting. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    78 miles done, so 1943 left to go.

The Pentagon, at the time considered the world's largest office building, was completed in 1943.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    100km done so 1919 to go.

1919 Prince Philip was born, and the Irish Free State was created.
  • 61km down, 1960 to go. In 1960, 17 African nations won their independence, and the first particle accelerator became operational at CERN.
  • Another 8 for me today, after a rest yesterday, taking me to 92. That gives me 1929 to do. 1929 was the year of the stock market crash and the Great Depression. Hoping Covid doesn't trigger another one of that magnitude.
  • 12 today, putting me on 104. This gives me 1917 left to do.
    World War 1 entered its third year... 1917 is also the name of the recent movie set during this conflict.
  • 1952km to go. 1952 was an eventful year - Britain first tests the atom bomb, the great smog in London, and Sooty appears on TV for the first time. It was also the year my dad was born.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    5 mile plod today, so I'm up to 109. 1912 to go.
    A busy year that started with the establishment of the Republic of China, and also featured the sinking of the Titanic. Harriet Quimby became the first woman to fly across the English Channel. Two months later, she crashed her plane and died.
  • Another 8 miles today (7 progression and 1 cool-down) to take me to 118...half of a directories phone number.
  • 113 km completed, so 1908 to go.

The 1908 Olympic marathon was noteworthy for a number of reasons: Dorando Pietri crossed the finish line first but was disqualified for receiving assistance near the finish...and more importantly for all you marathon runners, it was the first time that the distance was 26 miles 385 yards (although it was re-measured many years later and was found to be shorter than that!). Originally it was going to be 40 kms (25 miles) but various adjustments were made to accommodate finishing at the Royal Box at White City, and also to avoid the royals getting into their carriages at the start in Windsor. 

And most people seem to be doing well thus far in 2021! And neither too late to gradually catch up, or to join if you are lurking!
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    136k done, 1885 to go.

Some interesting things happened in 1885, but the one that caught my eye was that there was no full moon during February 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    119 miles done so 1902 to go.

In the UK in 1902, GPO becomes the world's first postal administration to accept divided-back postcards (i.e. those with an address and message on one side and a full-size picture on the other), initiating a craze for sending and collecting them.  And the first Borstal youth detention centre was opened in Borstal, Kent.
  • 9.5kms for me on Friday and 12.5km today takes me to 91km, with 1930km to go. 

Another lunar fact - in 1930, on January 15th: 
    The Moon moves into its nearest point to Earth, called perigee, at the same time as its fullest phase of the Lunar Cycle. This is the closest moon distance at 356,397 km in recent history, and the next one will be on January 1, 2257 at 356,371 km. 

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    137km done. 1884 to go. 

The corner stone of the Statue of Liberty was laid and the Washington Monument was finished. Also the University of Bangor was founded. 
  • 18 miles today so I'm now on 136. 1885 to go.
    Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado debuted this year.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    65k done leaves 1955
    Published on 1955
    Which I loved
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • 133 km completed, so 1888 to go. 
    1888 saw the founding of the English Football League, comprising 12 clubs from the north and the midlands: Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End, West Bromwich  Albion, Everton, Burnley, Accrington, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Notts County, Derby County, Stoke City.

• 95 miles done so 1926 to go.

In 1926
    Deutshe Luft Hansa founded in Berlin. Flown with them a few times, still prefer Air France business class.

• 9 miles today to take me to 145. 1876 to go. In 1876 the grey squirrel was introduced to Britain and thrived, much to the detriment of the native red. 
  • 140 km completed, 1881 to go.

In 1881 Andrew Watson became the world's first black football international, playing for Scotland against England. Interesting story, and more so as the next black Scottish football international was 120 years later when Nigel Quashie was capped. 
  • 11 today takes me to 156. 1865 to go. In that year, Lewis Carroll published Alice in Wonderland.