Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Dave
    it was all those folk put walking that turned the paths so icy!
    you were wise to wait until today - must have been buoyed by the Wednesday result🙂

Empty
    thats a hard way to run a HM!! What possessed you🙂?

congrats on the new g’son - healthy size!

Alehouse
    good target achieved!
    it will be a long time before parkrun resumes here

a couple more photos of the snow in the fields opposite my house

• Looking forwards to the photos, TS!

Drizzly here this morning, so quieter on my run than it has been. Longest run since October 17th, 83 minutes, largely off road and at a gentle pace. A couple of easier days now. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Deep, TS! Hope you were out there making snowmen and sledging!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • ....  don't know what happened there - the photos were still hanging around waiting to be posted this morning!

alehouse
    good time on feet today - how did it translate into miles/km?

Similar weather here - snow virtually all gone - ditto ice which made it a bit easier on the knees and hips which had been battered by previous slippery runs so still a very sedate 4 miles in 41:32 (10:26m/m) with avHR 128 and a max of 140- hard work!!

A HAsh trail has just been posted for tomorrow - one mile to the start, looks like 3.5 miles of trail and then a mile back home so I may get my missing mile back :)
  • Just under 13k today. Pretty slow in places as it was a hard slog in the mud. First 8k was at 6:45 per km; remainder was a t 6:20 on slightly better surfaces. Real aim was time on feet. Pace will hopefully come when I am a bit older. 

Where are you up to on your challenge, TS?
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    alehouse
    That was perfectly respectable timing over that terrain.
    I can imagine that it was indeed a hard slog in the mud - it's strange but the slower one runs the harder mud is to get through - I think the feet sink further down into it and require more effort to extract whereas at speed they stay more on top.
    I like the optimism about speed........... :)

I am aiming for a  minimum of 25 miles a week over the four week period which would give me a 10K buffer on the 150Km target.
    I dropped a mile last week so will try and make it up tomorrow - it will be slow and it's a hilly route as well :/
  • I am happy to report I have RUN first one in 15 days no ice 6 degrees and skort weather with just short sleeved top.6.2 miles in the bag did not think I would be able to run that far but legs not forgot what to do :):):)
    I am so happy that my running mojo is still there.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    You've got more snow than me.

WP,
    Glad you're back.

MT,
    That is a lot of halves, you'll soon have enough for a full one. Congrats on the new one.

7.6k for me today, gentle cruise through the village with no tourists in sight, very quiet. It is only -1c and with a forecast of 5c in the week. What little snow we have will disappear.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - excellent numbers there for the week and today !   its a shame your running buddy not available, but of course he rightly has decided to take the decision which he feels is best for him  . . .   

TS - good start to the challenge, despite the "dropped" mile (which you'll regain tomorrow, I'm sure) . Yes, enjoyed the footy (which says a lot about the predominant form his season) - the back four had 3 members under 20 yrs of age, with just a handful of appearances between them;  heartening to see our CB deal well with a wily experienced physical forward.  

Mick - more cruising - and "only"  -1c - singlet weather?   :)     

WP - great news re the running mojo  B)   and a nice 10K too !   Keep the sensible headwear within reach, though :)   

rest day here - walk to and from care home, with upper body exercises too.

Dave
  • Welshpoppy
     that's jumping in at the deep end!! Careful now..............
    Skort = skirt or shorts or a combi of the two :)

Mick
    snow all gone now - the fields are green again
    Good to see pesky tourists have disappeared - we don't need large gatherings just now.

Dave
    that augers well for the future of the club - unless someone comes calling with loads of money!

Back to -4C temperatures this morning but clear, bright sky and black ice everywhere :/

A gentle mile downhill to the start - 33m in all, then 3.58 miles of, as I suspected, a hilly route with 71m of up and down mainly in two big hills and then a +mile back home - all uphill of course.

So 5.57 miles bagged at a very slow pace, around 11:30m/m overall and an avHR or around 111!!

Garmin recorded it, with almost a sigh as "some aerobic benefit" :/
  • SOunds like you enjoyed your morning adventure, TS! Much warmer this side of the Pennines: about 4 degrees, perhaps warmer, when I went out. No ice, but lots of puddles and mud. River is close to going over the lower bank, probably due to a rapid thaw up in them there hills. About 40 minutes. And I did my stretches for the 12th day in succession.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    What are a few hills to an old warhorse like you, it sounds like fun, shame it has to be on your own. I know we both crave the speed of our youth but it is not important. We are out there in the cold, which is supposedly very good for wrinkles, the blood is flowing into all the hard parts to reach, all our parts are moving and, the best bit, it feels good to be alive.

Alehouse,
    Puddles and mud seem to be a way of life for you. It is above freezing here but there is a lot of black ice about. The salt and grit trucks have been out so the roads are ok, you just have to be careful in a few places.

5.6k done, very pleasant despite a bit of back slip in places. We are getting very Alehouse type weather. It is continuously overcast with very warm temperatures for January. I much prefer the -8c, very bright blue sky than this stuff.
    With the total lack of sunshine I am into the vitamin D for the winter months.

Mick
  • alehouse
    well done on your New Year stretching resolution lasting so far :)
    Your waterproof socks must be taking a hammering!

Mick
    "it's fun Jim, but not as we know it" - to misquote Star Trek :)
    But as my doctor said to me "I wish all my 74 year old patients would complain about not being able to run 5 miles fast"

The runs on snow/ice/slush had taken a toll on my knees and hips etc but felt a little easier this morning with dry conditions underfoot and a whole +1C as I ran my 4 mile route in 40:19 (10:09m/m) with avHR130 and a max of 143.

Still felt like a hard run  but Garmin derided that and marked it as "maintaining aerobic effort" :/  as its training effect!
  • I see the Toon managed to please both halves of Sheffield simultaneously  - United got their first (totally unsurprisingly) first win of the season and Wednesday could celebrate that they had got rid of Bruce!!

Couldn't summon up the energy to watch the game once I saw the team Bruce had put out - truly appalling (mis) management
  • Afternoon

Yesterday 4.7 miles as  body aching from saturdays Body Project workout.Today 6.2 miles in torrential rain slow as a tortoise but enjoyable in a made way.

Torque: Skort is skirt and shorts combo.Great for al sorts activites walking,golf you name it if you are a lady:-)
    https://www.flanciactivewear.co.uk/women-s-skorts-chasing-unicorns.html

My watch says unproductive!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good to see you back out there, WP...but don't rush things!

I watched a fair amount of the game, TS: very poor management on the field by the team as well! 

And yes, the waterproof socks are essential at the moment; don't know what time it started raining in the night but it is still raining now. Today's run was in full wet suit which I only usually wear for standing around at races (remember them?). Glad it was only an easy day so just 5.3 km off road. Today's weather (and tomorrow's judging by the forecast) is a distinct contrast to yesterday's apricity which saw me working in the garden for the first time for a good while. 

And day 13 for my stretching!

Hoping for a high scoring and entertaining game this evening Mick
  • I don't have waterproof socks but have sealskin waterproof gloves they are very warm and forgot them this morning to test on a rainy morning.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehouse
    did you nod off and miss part of it :) ?

Wet suit - I have one of those somewhere - full length zips on the trousers!

Garden too wet here for any sort of work on it.
    I did however cover some dahlia plant roots and cut down stems with straw and compost just before Christmas so hopefully they will have avoided both waterlogging and frost damage!
    We shall see as last year was the first time I have planted them and they did provide superb colour in late summer/autumn. 

Welshpoppy
    skort - aaahh I see :)
    That must be the ultimate insult from Garmin - unproductive!!

We are forecast more snow tonight/tomorrow................
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    I wonder if Garmin publishes its training effect algorithm anywhere? They probably consider it an industrial secret and is worth millions on their balance sheet as IP rights.

Snowing this morning so decided on a cross training day, 5k on the rower, I'll not bore you with a lot of numbers.
    The province has come down with tighter restrictions but I can still get out with the boys for a run as long as it is no more than 5 and we don't stand around in a group. I have one scheduled for tomorrow.
    It is hard to imagine most of the cops around here trying to chase us, most of them have a belly and wear about 50lbs of kit.

Mick
  • Mick
     :) at your image of the local plod - maybe that's why so many folk get shot in the USA  - they can't be bothered to chase down anyone running away from them!!

I imagine the Garmin algorithm is a  fairly simple ne based upon HR/distance and time.

It should have an override for adverse weather conditions - I went out in heavy snow this morning with about 2" underfoot and deepening rapidly for my 4 miles in 44:46 (11:10m/m) with avHR 124 and a max of 135
    Conditions underfoot were for once better on the pavements than roads where the snow had been turned to glass ice by traffic compressing the snow onto already frozen roads.  Traffic inevitably was at a standstill and I sailed by at my admittedly very modest pace :)
  • Nothing like that weather this side of the Pennines, TS. Nonstop rain.
    Well done on your run under the circumstances.

Just under 40 minutes here, unusually mainly on the roads. Plus stretches. Supposed to be a longer run tomorrow but with ice forecast I may change plans.
  • Torque: A good run considering the conditions under foot!

Be careful of the ice Ale

Dave?

Wearing the sensible hat today I went out to run but could feel Achilles biting hard so although I could run through it I thought better to go home and have a walk.So 3 miles in the rain instead I am stretching my calf as they seem very tightat the moment.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehouse
    it has just stopped snowing here - I think the cold front must have settled on the Pennines.  Not quite as bad as the last dump of snow but quite enough!!

You will have to start practicing swimming shortly if that rain continues!!

Good start to the cricket in Sri Lanka considering no one had played for quite a while!!!
  • Welshpoppy
    you weren't there when I started typing.

Yup tight calves can lead to achilles problems.  Fallout from your exercises?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    A 3 day "slump" since Sunday - and today was going the same way, the hours long snowfall psyching me out; I then saw Poppy's post and the "Dave?"   , which made me get a grip and get out at teatime for a slushy, sodden, out & back 3 miles in the dark, along the main road footpath.  Home, hosed and fed, things feel much better now, so thanks, WP !!    :)      

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Good news, Birch! Onwards and upwards!

And talking of cricket, my favourite quotation from Andrew Strauss: 

'Think positive thoughts, banish negative ideas and visualise your success.'

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    You do all seem to be having awful weather. It is not much different here with temperatures around zero and enough snow to make it messy. The sun seems to have got lost.
    The current forecast is for a major dump over the weekend, 25cm !! 
    At least I will get to use my snowblower.

Today's run with the boys was the usual, 7k cruising around the neighbourhood and along the river where possible. It was warm but the trails were unusable so had to stick to the pavement.

Now here is a nice load of numbers to make your eyes glaze over. But before they do note the gait analysis. My gait balance seems to be a function of pace, run faster and it is good, run slow and it is bad. Run uphill and it is also bad.
    2021-01-14T17:15:17ZS Easy
    Run Summary
     Comments - CP, First run with modified shoes, felt great.
     Weather data Carleton Place , Conditions - overcast clouds
      Mean Temp =   3c,  Min Temp =   2c,  Max Temp =   3c  Humidity = 92%
      Mean Wind Speed = 0.82 kph,  Mean Wind Direction = 35
      Run Duration = 45:00,   Run Length = 6.98 Kms or 4.34 Miles
     Average  Run Pace = 06:27 per Km or 10:22 per Mile, Age grade =  59.0 %
     Average WHR = 74.3 %,  Max WHR = 91.0 %
     Moving  Run Duration = 44:38 (* Laps include non-moving time)
     Average Moving Pace = 06:24 per Km or 10:17 per Mile, Age grade =  59.4 %

Run Gait Analysis
     Average  Run Cadence = 84.3, Average stride length = 0.92 m
     Avg Vert Osc = 5.8 cms, Avg Vert Ratio =  6.1%, Avg GCT = 307 ms
     Avg GCT % = 43.3%, Avg GCT Balance = L50.8% / R49.2%
     GCT Balance in good range as a % of the total trackpoints = 40.3%

Hill Climb Summary using corrected elevation
     Number of hills found longer than 50m and > 2.0 % gradient = 11
     Total  Run Climb Elevation = 81.6 m, Max Elevation Difference = 16.2 m
     Longest Climb Gradient = 3.3 %, Climb Length = 195.7 m, Distance From Start = 1.3 kms
     Steepest Climb Gradient = 5.2 %, Climb Length = 123.0 m, Distance From Start = 3.0 kms

Lap Detail
      Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:53     1.0        0.6      06:53      11:05      59.0%     67.2%      84.0       0.86
    #02     06:58     1.0        0.6      06:58      11:12      64.2%     70.9%      83.0       0.87
    #03     06:37     1.0        0.6      06:37      10:39      67.9%     70.9%      84.0       0.90
    #04     06:25     1.0        0.6      06:25      10:20      73.1%     76.9%      85.0       0.92
    #05     06:03     1.0        0.6      06:03      09:45      81.3%     85.1%      85.0       0.97
    #06     05:55     1.0        0.6      05:55      09:32      88.1%     91.0%      85.0       0.99
    * 07     06:08     1.0        0.6      06:15      10:03      86.6%     89.6%      84.0       0.95

Running Dynamics by Lap
    Lap    Avg Vert Osc     Avg Vert Ratio     Avg GCT       Avg GCT%           Avg GCT balance 
    01          5.6 cms               6.4%               317 ms            44.9%           L 51.3% / R 48.8%
    02          5.4 cms               6.2%               321 ms            44.7%           L 51.4% / R 48.6%
    03          5.5 cms               5.9%               319 ms            44.7%           L 51.3% / R 48.7%
    04          5.5 cms               5.9%               311 ms            44.3%           L 51.2% / R 48.8%
    05          6.1 cms               6.2%               297 ms            42.3%           L 50.5% / R 49.5%
    06          6.3 cms               6.2%               285 ms            40.7%           L 49.7% / R 50.3%
    07          6.2 cms               6.0%               291 ms            40.8%           L 50.1% / R 49.9%

• Dave:So glad I spurred you on to get out great job :)

Torque: I think the hills with the calf i will stretch post run

Mick: The only up side I see is snowblower:)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    it always feels better the other side of a run - remember that :)

Mick
    what were the modified shoes referred to in the summary?  You haven't been buying some of those superfast ones have you?

You still manage to crank your HR up in both AV and MAx terms despite just cruisin' the 'hood with the boys :)

Well - really into Mick's weather here now.  This morning it was -6C and the deep snow had a frozen crust and ice where it had been trampled down.

As a result I set a personal worst for a run doing 4 miles in 45:30 (11:22m/m) with avHR 121 and a max of 138

Had some difficulty at the start as the snow had drifted quite a bit up to the drive gates and I had to clear it away before being able to open them!!

Beautiful bright sunny day so far - it was good to be out despite the hard work
    running through the snow - and around everyone taking photos!