Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Well done on getting out, TS: probably a harder effort than usual despite the time on feet!

That looks a decent set of figures, Mick; particularly noteworthy is the improved left/right balance at speed. You just need to run more quickly more often!

Hard work here: despite decent gloves fingers were painful, and the rest of me didn't really work! Cold but no snow. Yet. Anyway, just under 40 minutes banked. 

WP: not that I wore them today, but I have a a pair of Sealskinz gloves. Don't like them as they don't keep my hands warm enough. Need to invest in another pair a little larger so that I can wear a pair of thin gloves underneath. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dave: I wanted to say also we are a small band of Running Warriors and need to look out for each other :)

Ale:Oh that is a disappointment on the gloves when you need another pair.What about the Ronhill merino gloves they are very thin so may fit inside?

4.6 miles run this morning 2 degrees cold job done.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehouse
    you probably went further in your 40 mins than I did in my 45!!

I had a pair of waterproof gloves as well and didn't like them at all as, like you, I found they actually made my hands colder!
    Currently using a Nike pair which appear to have some moisture resistance but keep my hands warm enough once I get going.
    In the ol' days I can remember using an old pair of socks as mittens over gloves but it doesn't get that cold nowadays

Welshpoppy
    wot - no snow on the Welsh hills?  Looks like it was confined to the east of the Pennines

I walked a couple of miles to the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions - should have worn my Garmin to bag some extra miles but I have got into the habit of taking it off after a run as the eczema  area has still not healed even though I wear it on my opposite wrist when running.
  • Nope No snow here thank goodness I also walked to pharmacy and back but just a mile for me:)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good efforts, all

WP - I like the idea of being a warrior (in the mould of your avatar)  :)   

4 miles this afternoon, on frozen slush, crisp snow on grass in the parks (the most enjoyable part), and a 1K uphill slog on gritted tarmac (possibly with gritted teeth).  As alehouse said re TS' run - probably a good workout, despite the (lack of) pace ! 

Dave 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    WP,
    The snow hasn't started yet but I am ready with the blower.

TS,
    Go easy on running in the snow, it really does reach parts that other runs don't.
    Running with the boys is fun but they do like to put in a few surges over the last 3k, hence the increase in HR.
    Good catch on the modified shoes. I have mentioned a few times that I have numbness in my toes and over the last 2 years have had a number of tests etc to find out the cause. This is what the pre-diabetic comment was all about, but I am not pre-diabetic.
    My GP is going to schedule me to see a neurologist at some time in the distant future, but I am not holding my breath. 
    I have given up on the National Health System here, it is hopeless, so decided to go to a private foot clinic. 
    After a thorough examination of my feet, she diagnosed me as having an inflamed nerve running over the top side of my feet. It is very common for older runners.
    She spent some time manipulating a set of joints I did not even know I had. They were completely locked up. I now have a new set of exercises to do.
    She then took my running shoes and re-laced them and added a strip of cushioning to the tongue. She also removed a corn that had developed between two of my toes due to the lost of mobility in my joints and tendons around my little toes.
    Yesterday's run in the modified shoes was the most comfortable run I have had in a year.
    I am now scheduled, next week, for laser treatment to reduce the inflammation. 
    I am having to pay for this but at least I feel I am making progress.

Alehouse,
    After many years of exercising in the cold, I have discovered that wearing multi-gloves doesn't work all that well. The best solution by far is to wear a pair of windproof mitts over the top of your regular gloves. Failing that TS's solution of a pair of socks works really well. I still use that solution when I cannot find my mitts.

Today's 6.7k run in non freezing sunshine was a treat. The storm will be here tonight so I will be ready with my blower and shovel but at least it gets me out and exercising.

MIck
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sounds like a good investment, Mick !  

headed out at 8:30 this morn. Although 2c & raining, paths still unrunnable with compact ice, but able to negotiate road down to a 1 mile "industrial loop". Even at the lower level , paths still icy, but roads clear, & fairly quiet. 8 laps of this, then back uphill to home (including the 1K "drag" of yesterday.  11.11 miles - pleased with that.  Thought I might as well clear the paths around mine & neigbours whilst wet & bedraggled, so a bit of upper body work done (and perhaps the bending with the shovel benefitted the legs) :) Sofa & TV sport beckons  . . .    

Dave
  • Nice one, Birch. No ice here, just lots of rain. Waited until it had stopped before paddling for just under an hour. First half was hard work but gradually loosened up and second half was much better.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick
    sounds like you have found a keeper there :)
    That is a big improvement in a relatively short time so hopefully it progresses as well - good that you have found something to spend your money on!!

I can hear the engine revving up..................... :)

Dave
    that was a long run - was that punishment for missing out on a few days?
    Snow clearing produces all sort of strange aches - hope the sofa eased them off!

alehouse
    another plodge for you  and an hour's shift is a good session.

"Rest" day for me apart from digging out the drive, the car and through the snow banks the ploughs had thrown up at the kerbside for a rare visit to a M&S Foodhall for some niceties :)
    No one there as the car park was still full of snow - fortunately I had packed a shovel and got away easily on completion of shopping after a nice chat with the young cash out girl who seemed very happy to talk away!

A route tomorrow will take some planning as, although the roads are clear, the pavements and paths through parks etc are just sheets of ice and it isn't going to be gone by tomorrow.

• Dave: Nice long run there and snow clearing.Hope the sofa did not wear you out :)

Nice rest day Torque and M+S visit.Hope today goes well.

4 miles yesterday after a poor night sleep as back had gone into spasms only easing at 2am.Happy to run at all.

Today will be a rest day as I feel really tired so I can go again tomorrow.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    good plan - rest days are as important as running days.
    Don't like to hear about back spasms!!!

Well my cunning plan involved getting up extra early, taking my meds, then having another hour under the duvet and then out onto hopefully quiet roads.
    Just about worked as well although some drivers didn't think twice about running me close as I ground out 6 miles (following, a bit, of Dave's example) in 61:34 (10:15m/m) with avHR 128 and a max of 144.
    Added a couple of laps of the main shopping streets in town which were ice free and level and which added the necessary extra mile

Second week on target mileage so all good so far.  Legs and back hadn't liked the snow digging yesterday so it was a bit of a slog.
    Forecast of milder conditions and rain may mean I am saved from any further snow shovelling!!!
  • Well banked, TS!
    45 minute routine sort of run here to bring up 50k for the week. Three football matches and snooker to fit in now. And my stretches of course. Pretty decent weather for my run, although raining now.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - nice 4, in view of back & lack of sleep . . .  

alehouse - good week again - I'd like to attain that number consistently this year . .    hopefully you weren't padding as much today !    

TS - your concerns re the snow shovelling (and as you seem to have experienced this morn), manifested itself in a stiff lower back for me !  Good work with your target (I like the loops to make the distance).   My 11 miler was only partly due to the 3 "off" days; after building up to double digit runs before Christmas, culminating with a 12, I'd resolved to do a regular longer one - not sure yet whether once a week is too much at present.  

three easy paced miles today, on ice-free paths - 21 for the week (indeed, for the last 4 days) !   

as per alehouse now (except for snooker)  . . .  and,  8 mins into match  #1, Mick will be dancing around his man-cave . . . .      

Dave
  • alehouse
    good week's progress  -50K sounds such a long way :)
    Work desk for me today  :/

Just checked on my imperial/metric conversion - 44K this week to add to the 39K the previous week so a bit up on the halfway mark despite the weather  :)

Dave
    you did well to find ice free paths and a good back up to your long run yesterday. 
    The acid test of whether a session has been too hard is when it prevents one from doing the next days planned session!  
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Well done on keeping on target despite the weather.

Dave,
    Snow clearing for you as well, I think I could do well renting out my snow blower.

WP,
    I took a rest day as well yesterday if you don't count clearing the snow and walking the dog.

More snow this morning so a cross training day, that is 5k on the rower.
    I have been doing a bit of reading on the science of rowing. With the Concept2 rower there is something call drag factor. It is a simple adjustment of the amount of air allowed into the flywheel cage. I have always assumed the higher the setting the better.
    It appears that it is a measure of the rate at which the virtual boat slows in between strokes and for your optimum workout you need to find the optimum setting.

I have been using a setting of 5, the recommended setting is between 3 and 5. This corresponded to a drag factor of around 125.

On today's row I dropped it to 3 that is a drag setting of 96.
    The impact was significant, my stroke rate was up and so was my HR. I was breathing hard for the first time. According to the literature the lower end of the range is a more aerobic workout and the higher end anerobic.
    Here is all my rows since buying the rower.

I have created an AG based on the world record for a 70-79 range. It would appear that I am a better rower than I am a runner.

Mick
  • Longest run since mid October today, albeit short by Birch's standards. Just over 13k/83 minutes, mainly off road. Hard work this morning at times, largely due to mud and puddles, the breeze, a few showers. It is winter! All good! Stretches later. 
  • Mick
    it's always wise the read the instructions :)
    Olympic rowers - here he comes!

alehouse
    good start to the week and a nice pace as well for a longer run in off road conditions.
    Just as well to get it in early as the forecast for the rest of the week is decidedly mixed!
    I think the snooker may have been the highlight of your viewing yesterday :)

I got  a Hash trail through late last night and decided to do it this morning in light of the forecast despite tired legs - run to the start, then 3.75 miles then run home -so 4.88 miles in all at a modest 10:30 pace over a fairly level route so I wasn't too wupped after yesterday's exertions
  • ....   my runs over 2 days just about equal Dave's single one :/
  • Great work Ale on your long run.

I went out but legs were so tired I cut the run short but 2.33 miles I changed and went for a 3 mile hilly walk.

Weekly total was 25.2 miles with 1 rest day+1 ice day.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Back from a bout of man flu. Managed a 5k on a hilly, muddy surface. Slow pace but each km faster than the previous one. 

Received my first state pension payment today. I reckon I'm not the first to do so on this thread!

Isn't it nice to get a run in after a lay-off. So good for morale, especially on what is known apparently as 'blue Monday'.
  • Welshpoppy
    despite your off days you still managed a very respectable mileage last week.
    You may have been better putting your feet up today :)

John
    the most dangerous kind of flu!!!  Pleased you have recovered enough for a run out and getting the legs working again.

OAP at last :)  Don't spend it all at once

Interesting article on bans in athletics 
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/jan/18/athletics-66-doping-bans-showcase-a-winning-way-other-sports-should-follow

196 athletes banned since 2017  -and some very high profile ones as well.  Hopefully the system is now working - Russia excepted, they just poison people!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    John,
    With all of the lockdowns going on I didn't think people were catching flu anymore.
    You will be pleased to know I too receive a Brit pension and haven't lived there for 40 years.

TS,
    I watch football as entertainment and the players cheat all the time, diving in the penalty area, pulling another player's shirt, etc. It is part of the entertainment.
    I use to watch athletics because I wanted to see excellence in sports that I took part in. Here cheating is totally unacceptable, it devalues the sport to the point I see no point in watching it, I would rather watch football for entertainment.
    I think athletics is different from spectator sports, I don't care if Harry Kane is on something as long as he keeps scoring.

Lots of sunshine today and the roads are clear so out I went even though it was a bit chilly with a wind chill of -13c. Still very enjoyable and 8k in the bag just touring the village.

Mick
  • And a bus pass, JB?

I understand where you are coming from with sport/entertainment, Mick. Not sure where Arsenal v Newcastle fits in! And 8k seems decent for you at this time of year!

Yes, the snooker was probably the highlight, yesterday, TS! Spurs game was ok, Liverpool/United never got started and I didn't see enough of the Man City game to comment due to David Attenborough and snooker!

And easy does it, WP!
  • alehouse
    ....... masochism?!

Mick
    I hate all the so called "gamesmanship/professional fouls etc" in football nowadays.
    The latest example is the innocuous foul when an attacking team loses possession far up the field and as a threatened counter attack develops a player will just gently take someone out to stop the move developing.
    Never the same player twice in a row so the ref doesn't really notice the tactic and just gives a free kick.
    Liverpool and Man City are very adept at it plus a few more.  Allied to the stuff that you described it has been enough to mainly turn me off watching it nowadays.

In athletics I was was surprised that the recent shoe improvements were permitted - it certainly isn't a level playing field between the haves and have nots when they get to race and that's not counting the drug cheating.

Turning very wet here but managed to squeeze in a very tired run before the downpour really starts - 4 miles in 42 min exact with avHR 127 and a max of 139  :/

Legs didn't want to move
  • Yes, thought of you during yesterday evening's match, TS! Thought Newcastle got away lightly. 

I also managed to find a window of opportunity to plod out just over 30 minutes on and around the river banks at the end of the road. May be the last time for a while as I had a flood warning through that they are likely to open the flood gates which means that the sports fields and allotments on the way to the river will become lakes. Other routes likely to be needed: just hope that they can avoid opening the gates as it takes months for the water to subside. 
  • Alehouse, thanks for the nudge on the bus pass. I've not caught a bus in my home town in  about 40 years! 

TS and others in flood-prone locales: take care! 

Not too bad here. Managed another 5k and again on short, sharp hills. Also the final k was the quickest. All of which shattered me.

Re football, my lot (Brighton) are in the category of playing nice, admired football but not actually winning many games. I think most opposition clubs quite like to play us which, of course, is not a compliment. Newcastle could well be in the relegation mix with us. (I think I might have written this before!)
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    John,
    A free bus pass, it would be nice if we had a bus that we could use such a thing on. Public transport is a big city thing here.

Another nice day, only -8c so out I went. 6.3k steady plod on clear roads, no more trails for a while. 
    another appointment at the foot clinic this afternoon, laser treatment on my inflamed nerve sounds all very hitech, just my thing.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    a damp 3 miles yesterday (got out whilst rain merely "light") . Bucketing down at present.
    Had planned 5 miles this morn, but my daughter is doing a session around the 1 mile industrial loop after work - no training partners available, so I've offered to go down and jog up and down the most secluded section (approx half mile of the loop is on path by a well lit main road, the remainder is quieter) whilst she completes her laps.  

Dave
  • ....  we have a bus service from a stop about 1/3 miles away - two buses each morning and afternoon  into/back from town.  As it's only a mile to town I walk!!

alehouse
    opening flood gates sounds dire!  The flood defence  area around York is already in use. New running routes may be required.
    Leicester doing well.

John
    if I get flooded out then the rest of the country will be in arks!  My house is on the 135m contour and the land drops steeply away to <90m so there is a bit of freeboard :)
    You do like your 5K's :)
    That is precisely the trouble with football - play to win/not lose to stay in the Premiership becomes the norm for many clubs.  I do think Newcastle got more affected by the Covid outbreak than they let on  and players are still struggling to regain fitness - plus carp tactics from Bruce haven't helped.

Mick
    ......... and Spurs go marching on :)
    Hope the foot treatment went well. Laser work on tight tendons/nerves sounds interesting - not heard of that before.
    Very unusual to see you outdoors at this time of year

Went out in dry spell which quickly turned to a wet one - got soaked with no Gortex on!!
    Desperate struggle to keep moving - 4 miles in 41:03.  Could be a hard week to finish on my mileage target.
  • Morning,

Good to see Dave out and again today i had visions of sending SOS or Call car Dave to come in.

Torque: Not very handy that bus service.Great work on getting out but why no Gortex?

Mick: Laser treatment is interesting as TS said not one I have heard of either.

I ran 2 miles yesterday but this was at mid day as I went back to bed bad night and then walked 3 miles.My asthma and breathing were awful and leg goes numb just the one so happy to finish I isally run home but no i stopped dead at 2 miles and walked back.

Today torrential rain and winds care of Storm Christoph but managed 3.26 miles over the hills so better but leg again playing up.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression