My Last Run

Comments

• I don't hurdle them, Hazel - I just run around. I have very little spring in my legs so I'm not much of a jumper and, in fact, my running stride is very low and flat. I am basically a hovercraft.
    I'm not a great judge of pace either, although I seem to be pretty slow all round at the moment.

Had a bit of a panic this morning as my PC monitor went dark for a second - not sure what that was about but any PC related problems put my stress levels through the roof as it's my only means of communicating with the outside world. (I have no apps on my mobile and it's on a calls and text pay as you go plan - I don't really know how to use it for internet stuff but in any case I have a LAN at home rather than wifi. I realised that PC repair shops are not considered essential so I panic ordered a laptop just in case my PC gives up the ghost during lockdown. Won't arrive until next week but at least it'll be a good back-up, and I can take it on travels whenever we're allowed to do that again. Just hoping this big old PC will behave for a bit longer until I can get a new games rig built, which won't happen until lockdown ends.

Anyway, 6 miles this morning - there were little bits of ice around, like it had hailed or something, but the pavements weren't bad aside from a couple of spots. Not much climbing on this route - around 61 meters. Can't do a big hill workout too often though - I don't think the hamstring would approve. However, it should get pretty strong.

• G'dog, last Xmas we pooped out little tree into a pot and put it in the garden. It not only survived until this Xmas but actually shed no needles at all. Needless (needleless?) to say we've done the same this year.

Hats off to all of you who run in dodgy underfoot conditions. I simply won't go out if it's like this. However, my little cemetery track is totally exposed to the sun and whilst it was frosty at 10.30, by 11.00 it was totally frost-free.

As H'nut advises, I don't treat it as a 5k any more, but I can check against previous times and shaved about 20 seconds off my PB in what turned out to be perfect conditions.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Well done JB.  Sounds like a handy route indeed.

My Yaktrax arrived yesterday so I did a 6 mile test run in them today.  Definitely gave me more confidence on the ice - if it is heavily rutted I can't move fast over it with the Yaktrax on either as there is a risk of turning an ankle anyway but I don't have to worry about slips and slides up and down hill anywhere near as much and on smoother ice I can trot along quite nicely.  Due to the lack of light and some steep ups and downs the 6 miles took a bit more than hour.  Was very nice though - the afternoon walkers had all gone home by the time I went out and I enjoyed the real quiet in the woods taking a quick break at one point to enjoy just that.  Rare these days to get such moments.  

Edit for GD: this evening's veggie offering: pasta with frozen spinach and fried eggs.   Jolly it up with some sunflower seeds or similar, freshly ground nutmeg, chopped fried onion and garlic etc. etc.   Cheap and quick.
  • Third run of the week tonight, good for me!

Seven miles as an evening hard frost formed around me.  For the first time my Strava went haywire!, throwing in a big spike I didn't run. I know that the route is exactly 7 miles, but it recorded it as 7.52.

This is actually really annoying as I wanted to try and record a fast mile at some point. I know have a mile PB of 3:44.  Now, I'm an optimistic man, but I do think that is going to take some shifting!!
    (Anyway to reset that?).

Still trying to run no miles much under 9 minutes, as advised.  Taking a while to get used to, but do feel fresh.

Nice running Hazlenut, enjoy your new shoes, they sound great. And good "heavy" half.  Our rivers in the UK are so high and coloured currently, I'd imagine they are where you are too.

Good running GD, looks like it's getting colder at the weekend! mind that ice.  I also have new trainers for Chrimbo, Epic React Infinity in crimson.

Swift 5k John.  Nice Work are doing a free, weekly virtual online 5k as a kind of Parkrun replacement.  Might be up your street.  Might even have a crack myself.  I've not heard of a Thanet marathon, but there is a Kent Coastal marathon, in Thanet.  Actually quite undulating that one.

Hope the PC is Okay Cal.  Know what you mean, I'm spending way more time online than I normally would.  Nice to keep in touch with people at the moment.  

At least this cold snap appears to be going, albeit temporarily, on sunday.   Lost a little momentum this week as I now know of a Covid fatality and someone else, super-fit, who it's left permanently damaged, and narrowly escaped with their life, gets more real everyday.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, stay safe.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    You can use the crop function to get rid of it...and you can delete PBs on your Garmin as well. I've had to do that before now.

Sorry about those  you know affected by Covid. I am actually more scared about long Covid and losing my ability to run than I am of dying, but I am basically a hermit now so I think my chances of catching it are low.
  • Still zero here but no frost so I did a relaxed eight miles including a few inclines - nothing too taxing though. I'm going to go for a proper hill run tomorrow. My team needs a boost - we're some way behind the first two teams and my teammates don't seem to be quite the hill enthusiast that I've become.  :D
  • LTT, I think I got the wrong name for that event; it must be the same one as is still being run. 

With respect to your and Cal's mention of Covid, I had a 3 mile run with my son today, whose wife is now working on the wards in the local (Chichester) hospital. She is a dietician so the very fact that she is working the wards is an indication of how hard-pressed they are. In the Spring, she was very reassuring on the extent of the pandemic. Now, it's akin to a war zone in her words. 

• Did my long run today as promised the family a decent walk tomorrow.  Cold, grey and rainy.  Needed two vests and a long sleeved top.  I hate running in gloves, and leave them at home unless it's arctic, but it took a good few miles for me to feel my hands today!

Pretty quiet apart from a few cyclists and a couple of runners.  This was my 4th run of the week rather than the 3rd, and it did make a big difference.  I felt pretty sore from mile 10, even though I was running a very easy 9 and a half minute mile, and was glad to get home.  A speck under 12 miles in 1:53.

In my first 18months of running I would always take a pound on my long runs and drop into a petrol station for a water/lucozade at some point.  Not really possible now, so I've finally got used to running with bottle belt.  By the addition of a couple of stitches, so it can't slip, although not ideal, it's at least bearable.

Pleased I've managed to up my running days to four. Monday,tuesday, thursday and saturday.

Nice 8 miler Cal, good luck with the hills tomorrow!  I'll have a look at my Strava, thankyou.

Yes John, worrying times, glad you got out today.

Tomorrow we're walking to a vast field of Brussel sprouts, should be quite a day to remember!

• That could be a bit pongy, Linton - I know cabbage fields smell like bad farts.

Out before 7:30 for my long run today, which (of course) had to be hilly. It was -1 but pavements were largely clear, just some stretches of path that had frost on where I had to be careful.
    I did a variation on my tried and tested route - up to Streatham, through Norwood and along to Dulwich, up the hill to Sydenham then up Hell Hill. Then I circled back for a crack at Rock Hill (a little further along) which is shorter but very steep (around 18%).
    From there I went into Crystal Palace park. It was so misty I couldn't even see the transmitter when I was in the park, and that thing is over 700ft high.
    I didn't do much hill climbing in the park, but ran down, around the lake and then out again to tackle the horrible hills of Anerley. I've done Fox Hill (the one with the 20% sign at the bottom) several times but decided to tackle its neighbours as well. They're all steep, as you'd expect. I finished there with Cypress Road which I actually think is the worst of the lot. Fox starts easy, gets really steep in the middle but levels out again, but Cypress is a pretty constant gradient all the way up. It's around 15% for most of it with a slightly steeper bit near the top - really gruelling.
    I did a couple of big climbs on the way back to Streatham, too (Biggin Hill...no not that one... and Gibson's Hill) before bombing back home.
    I had enough in the legs to do a little segment sprint on a flat bit in Streatham before heading back home via Tooting Common.
    I did 17 miles in all - I was shooting for 16 but realised I'd go over as I was too far out when I hit 15 miles - so that's more than last week, with around 500m of climb added in.
    Hamstring wasn't too bad but I had a little niggle from the top of my left foot on a couple of the downhills. Not sure if that's a tendon thing or a tight shoe thing but I'll keep an eye on it. It has happened before - I suspect tight peroneals.
    Anyway, overall slow run but with frost, hills and having to stop briefly when a little dog decided to take an interest, I'm fine with that.
  • Nice mile PB LTT  :D Sorry to hear about how close Covid has got to you.  Due to the cold weather and most of the precipitation falling as snow the rivers are pretty low at the moment.  It's when the snow melts in combination with heavy rain that things get interesting.   You are doing well on slowing your runs down, you should notice a difference when you do deliberately do something faster.  Hope you enjoyed the field of sprouts (cooked = yumm!) A tourist highlight in the area?  :)   Good you have got the bottle belt sorted (hate them).  If the gloves get annoying / too hot - just take them off and carry them in your hands, stuff them up your sleeves?

That was some long run Cal.  Good distance and plenty of hills on top.   If we ever get back to some events, you should really have a look for a nice ultra or two.

Got colder here again and a nasty NE wind added on top.  Out with a couple of people from my Saturday / Tuesday group yesterday.  We sometimes do some work on gymnastic mats but no-one really fancied that in the cold so we trotted a bit (undulating and chatting so not especially fast), did some exercices - some involving snow encrusted logs (careful balancing, step-ups, press-ups etc.) and jogged some more and repeat.  5.9 miles in 1:17 including all the breaks.

Today another decent flat MLR - nipped off down the hill per car again - bit warmer and less ice and short trip to old flat.  13.25 miles in 1:50:10 - steady out and faster back (might have had quite a bit to do with the terrain and the tailwind on the way back though).  Fairly quiet for the first hour but lots of people wandering around in the last part.  Even some very hardy cyclists spotted (brrrr!).  I was well wrapped up with fleece lined leggings and a shell jacket but was actually too warm and took off the gloves after about 5 miles and left them off which is unusual considering I normally suffer from cold hands.  Couple of brief stops at convenient drinking places - water was very cold so only a few small mouthfuls.  
  • A fairly nippy (-3 but "feels like -5" according to the Met Office) trail five miler with the dog this morning.

Seven minutes faster than when I ran the same distance on Christmas Eve. That was the first time I'd run that distance for many years, so I'm still at that exciting but ridiculous phase where you can take upwards of five minutes off of previous times. Particularly pleasing because although much faster it was achieved with a markedly lower average heart rate.  And I felt stronger and fitter.

Pleased I resisted the temptation to increase distance for a third consecutive week (10k was my long run last weekend) and bring it back down for a week. Felt the benefits for sure.
  • Nice run, Hazelnut...I was all wrapped up in a ski top (I don't ski, just got one from TK Maxx one winter), jacket, warm buff, hate, gloves, long leggings...and I saw some nutter in a vest and shorts. He had a hat on but still!

Welcome Jay. :)
  • I saw people in the sea yesterday, Cal. There was one guy wandering around the beach in a pair of Speedos!! The chat in the queue for a post run coffee was how long someone could stay in. Well done on the hills and hopefully the PC is still hanging in there.

Well done on the run, Jay, and glad you're feeling the benefits of the increase in mileage. As you say it's wonderful to be at the stage where you're taking massive chunks off your time. It's incredibly encouraging when you can see the improvements.

The pasta dish sounds rather tasty, Hazelnut. We've got pasta with meat free meatballs this evening. Had them last week in a tray bake and they were surprisingly tasty. Yesterday I cooked a roast - roasted head of cauliflower with a marinade, roast potatoes, parsnips and carrots and Yorkshire pudding all topped off with an onion gravy. If I say so myself it was delicious and one I'm going to do again.

Sorry to hear about the people close to you, LTT. I think it does hit home a lot harder when someone you know is affected so badly by it. I guess all we can do is try to keep as safe as we possibly can. At least you're managing to get out and run as opposed to the first lockdown.

Well done on the cemetery run, john. It's good to find an ice free route that's also quiet as well. I'm guessing the seafront is a bit treacherous at the moment.

No midweek runs after Tuesday's effort last week. In fact I didn't get the opportunity to get out of the house for 3 days as work started at 6am and went through to gone 7pm. So Saturday the laptop was well and truly switched off and we did the 6.5 mile route along the Adur. Incredibly cold, the car said -2C but when we turned into the wind on the run the expected wind chill of -8C felt about right. It was only in the last mile I felt the need to take my gloves off (I go for the stuff down the shorts/leggings approach). 

Sunday we ran from Saltdean to Brighton pier and back. Elements of the undercliff path were still icy where the sun hadn't reached it and when on the seafront approaching the pier it was very icy. A couple of weeks ago I felt my achilles being a bit gripey, but hadn't felt it on Saturday. Come Sunday it started to complain when going up a slope and felt it going back down. I mentioned it when we got to the pier (which was at the 4.5 mile point) and accepted the run back was going to be a bit sore. When I eventually got home it felt quite painful and going up and down stairs is a struggle. It was a stunning day weather wise. Although it didn't feel as cold as the previous day I did have to scrape the car and the way the frost hung to the trees made for a winter wonderland feeling. Queuing for coffee was something of a mistake. It eventually took 30 mins for them to serve the 5 groups who were in front of us. Primarily, I think, that they weren't organised, but also the two guys who were directly in front of us seemed to be going out of their way to be difficult. They ordered items, the guy serving had to go off and get them and when he came back they'd order the next thing, so he would then have to go off again. At one point they asked for sausage rolls, which he duly got only for one of them to say he was a vegan so he wanted to vegan one. We stood there shivering with my partner having the moisture on her top turn to frost. 

• Careful with that Achilles GD - once they get stroppy it can take a while for them to shut up again (looks sternly at right foot..).  Well done for getting out in the cold and also regarding the workload.  I love running in the cold.  After a decent amount of procrastination that is.  Getting cold standing around is not nice though.  Idiots.. 

Don't get the running in shorts in freezing conditions Cal.  What would they do if they turn an ankle or whatever and are stuck?

Sensible to take cut-back weeks on a regular basis Jay.  Good news you are already feeling a difference in your fitness. 

4 mile recovery yesterday afternoon.  Around -5 according to my weather station but likely colder away from the house.  Was a bit suprised to find the condensation from my own breathing freezing on my cheeks!  No wind fortunately this time.  Small cut back this week after four decent mileage weeks. Good thing as we are in for more snow... :/
  • Not good, GD - I've had my achilles battles and it's a bugger to get it to settle.

Hazel - I know, eh? I also like to keep my legs warm as that's where all the grumpy bits are. I'll lose the sleeves before I lose the leggings.

Easy 8 miler again, similar route to the one I did last week. Some inclines but nothing steep. It was a lot warmer and I felt quite hot in my rain jacket, but it'll be cooler again tomorrow.
  • Two more runs to report; A creaky 4.1 mile recovery run monday and a 4 mile tempo run tonight.

I'm supposed to be keeping slow now I'm running more days, but fancied a harder (but short) run tonight to knock the corners off the day. 8.45ish warm up mile then 3 miles at high 7's. for 32 minutes.

Saw a fox and a cat about to go toe-to-toe (paw-to-paw?) but nothing else of interest..

Great hill run Cal, fortunately the sprout field was odourless!  That is a great hilly run.  I still can't figure out how to edit/delete my PRs on Strava, and ideas at all?

That sounds a pleasant, if icy run GD.  I tried going full vegetarian but folded after a disappointing 3 months.  It would have been nice if those people had been polite enough to let you go first really.  Were there any anglers out?  (Amazed, but pleased fishing has been allowed).

Some great running there Hazel, that's a great time for a training half marathon.  I'm a running anomaly  in how much I hate running in cold weather and find it much harder to breathe.  I think I'd rather race in 20c plus than below 5. 

+1 for leggings.  My first winter running I was a bit self conscious, couldn't care less now, and nothing particularly attention-grabbing on those bitter winter nights anyhow!

Great running Jay, nice to be knocking those times down and feeling the benefits of longer runs.

• Linton, I'm pretty new to Strava myself but from what I understand, you have to crop the run to get rid of the dodgy bit in order to remove erroneous PRs. Garmin's a lot easier - you just decline the new PR and keep the old one.
  • Cheeky 12 mile run exploring some of the other hills on the Norbury side of Streatham Common. Cool, drizzly weather but didn't mind that at all. I took the hills at "just get up it" pace and was quite cautious on the downs, but fortunately I didn't get a recurrence of the foot pain I had on Sunday.
    On the way back I couldn't resist having a burn up Hill Path and actually bettered my time up there, which moved me from 10th to 9th in the overall female standings (Strava segments).
    I did another burn along an alleyway I often use and got a 5th place Strava trophy on that, running at below 8min/mi, which isn't bad considering I'd done quite a lot of climbing up until that point. Good to know there was plenty of juice in the legs at the end of the run - my stamina and recovery seem to be improving.
    I've already achieved the Strava climbing challenge badge for the month (you get it for climbing 2000m) - I often don't manage to get this badge, let alone after two weeks. Another 320m logged.
  • Strong tempo run LTT.  We've settled into a eat veggies some days, meat others and it works well for us.  I'm currently trying out a few new recipes for both.  Good attitude towards the leggings.

Those hills and segment attacks should give you a good bit of leg strength Cal.  You are ahead of me on the hillage at the moment (not that I am competing anyway), been avoiding the majority of them the last few days due to the snow. 

Intended to do a 10 miler yesterday late afternoon on my village loop (to avoid the white stuff).  I went out about half an hour too late and got caught by the next round of nasty weather moving on loop 5 of a planned 9.  Into the wind and horizontal sleet was fortunately down the hill but unpleasant nonetheless.  Unusually for me I canned the run with nearly 2 loops to go as something (snow / dirt?) flew into my right eye leaving me bent over with my knuckles in it in pain.  As I was wet through at that point anyway I trotted home once I could see again.  Did at least have a bit of amusement as a family were ambling around my loop in the other direction - I did 5 loops for one by them - we kept count. 
  • I would be concerned about "skiing" down slow slopes on my bum so I don't blame, you, Hazel. Not nice getting something in your eye - hope it's not too sore now.

No sleet here (Saturday, maybe) but rain and floods instead. I decided to go out for a recovery run today rather than walk - rain wasn't too hard but there were big puddles everywhere. I stuck to roads for most of it but then I decided to use one of the common paths to my road and found it flooded. I already had wet feet at that point so I splashed through one flooded bit but then the next bit was up to my knees so I turned back. Almost came to grief on a kerb that was hidden under the muddy water, but managed to stay upright, thankfully. Anyway, it was 5 miles at a very ploddy 12 minute+ pace. Couple of things I learned about going that slowly - aside from miles ticking by very slowly indeed, I can get hungry and cold. Normally I don't get hungry on runs, but I do on walks.
    Anyway, hoping legs feel decent tomorrow as I need to do some speed work.
  • Agreed Cal, that was some rainfall over the past 24 hours.  Some of the roads by me are so deep driving home was heart in mouth. Also aqua planing cars on the motorway. Not good.

5 cold, wet miles, but thoroughly enjoyable. 4 runs and a decent walk in 6 days and do feel a little stressed, so day or two off or the weekend's long run will be unpleasant.

I'm doing dry January (as if this January isnt difficult  and crap enough) so am drinking huge amounts of iced decaff coffee so my calcium levels must be off the scale!!  Tonight I'm making Scottish oat cakes so should be energy-fuelled for the next few days!!

That sounds a great run Cal, Strava if actually pretty cool. I got my first local legend badge for most runs on my long route which surprised me as there's only really one long route.

Hope your eye is OK now Hazlenut, I've not had that misfortune yet but had a choking fit after swallowing a huge fly on a 10k race this year.  Nice you had your family there. I was considering getting by Dad to act as a pacer/ water dispenser/motivation (on his bike) on my distance challenge run, but best not.  He'd be well up for it though!

Stay well all.

• I've actually drunk more than usual this month, thanks to various gifts of wine. I'm not normally a drinker so I feel tipsy on one glass.

I've got a couple of local legends - there are a few in London that are pretty obscure despite the population here. I'm still surprised when I find a road that doesn't have a segment (I make one if there isn't).

Anyway, did a 7 mile progression - got up to around HMP although it felt pretty hard. I did a further cool-down mile after for a total of 8. Posterior tib feels a bit niggly - not sure if it's the downhills although it was fine yesterday morning. I'm wondering if it was from trying to trot through that flood.
  • Quick update from me: the lurgy is lingering! No running; no anything other than mooching around. Hope to get back running next week. (I don't think we make good patients.)
  • Hope you feel better soon, John.

I took myself off to Wimbledon today for my hills...started on the park side with Arthur Road and Home Park Road (plus a little slog up the obscure Dairy Walk, a 13% footpath which is lined with flowers in the summer and very pretty. A few flowers still there today).
    Then I headed down to Worple Road which runs from Wimbledon to Raynes Park. Parallel to this, up by the common, is the Ridgway, and there are a number of roads that link the two, so like a nutter, I decided to run up and down all of them. I used to work up the top of one of them during the early noughties and I often run one of them when going to the common (which is currently too muddy to interest me at the moment) but I didn't realise the rest of them were all equally steep and nasty. 
    I did nine ascents here and it was tough - hit the 13 mile point during the last one. 
    The way back was mostly flat but I was so bushed it felt like a real slog. I logged 18 miles in the end which is the most I've done since before Dorney, taking me to 51 miles for the week (same as last week).
    Body was a bit niggly but got me through. 
    I was a bit disappointed not to hit 400m of climb - it certainly felt like more than that, but the Streatham Hills seem to give me more bang for my buck so I'll stick with them I think.
  • That is a huge run Cal!  Well done.  Especially with hills!

Hope you feel better soon John.

11 miles today at a very easy pace; trying to slow it down even more, 10 and a half minute miles.  I went in the afternoon after work, which is I always find a bit harder than first thing in the morning.  Taking in my local Parkrun course, which I'd forgotten how lumpy it is to run on (it's all limestone), and up to Pegwell bay, at dusk, which was scenic.

My foot is a bit sore again, which is a bit concerning, but hopefully something I can shake.

It'll be interesting to see if I have any DOMS at all after taking it easy, as normally I can feel my long run the next day.

That's 5 x 11-15 mile runs on 5 consecutive weekend, which is good for me.

• Good stuff, Linton - I hope the foot doesn't turn out to be a problem. What's your local parkrun?

• Hi Cal my local one is Pegwell, indeed it's the only one I've ever done. It's flat and fast, but a bit knobbly.
     Will swerve it in future though, too busy.

How are you getting on in london?, it's like august bank holiday going for a run here! The only quiet route my dual carriage way one, too far and ugly for a walk. I know you like going early when possible.  I spend a good 50% of my runs in the road now, avoiding people. Will have to start going very early or late.
  • Hopefully the eye is OK, Hazelnut. Has there been any more snow?

Hope you're feeling better soon, john. Not great not being able to get out and about.

Excellent 13 miler, Cal, and a great weekly total. Love the way you're hitting the hills.

Good long run streak, LTT, although be careful of the sore foot. 

Nothing really to report here. Achilles seemed to ease off, so I tried it out yesterday with a run along the Adur on the basis that it was flat. I'd figured I'd try at least a 5K, although if it felt strong I'd extend that. However crossing over the bridge I could feel it pulling and after a mile, with a 15m gap having opened up as I ambled along, I decided that to carry on was going to do more harm than good. Partner decided that she was going to run on and I walked back via a coffee shop and then sat in the car watching the cricket on my phone.

Hit the mid month point with veguary and still going strong. Saturday we made a tear and share bread with a tapenade filling and had that as part of a tapas. Sunday I made a chickpea lasagne, so first time making a béchamel sauce. Included some butternut squash that I'd roasted earlier in the week which added a different texture and as it had chilli with it also gave it a bit of bite. Have to say I'm quite enjoying trying different recipes. 
  • Linton, I tend to stick to back streets at the moment and it's not bad. The commons are busier, particularly with people with dogs or small children, neither of which have much in the way of spatial awareness or common sense.

GD, are you doing any rehab? I found heel drops didn't work for me but isometric stuff was better (basically just stand on my toes for 30 seconds to a minute or so).
    Have you saved much money by ditching the meat?
  • Lost my (life) mojo a bit for a few days and took a forum break. 

Eye is fine thanks - just painful at the time. 

Good luck with the dry January LTT and I hope the oatcakes turned out well.  I've recently discovered flapjacks but oatcakes are yum as well. 

Solid bit of running over the past few days Cal.  

You are building up nicely LTT.  Hope the foot is nothing.

Get well soon JB.

Sensible caution on the achilles GD.  Recipe hunting is proving a good distraction here as well.  My OH has so far eaten everything without complaint.  Including the energy balls I made to try out when running..  Got a few left though.

Last week was a bit tough runningwise with the snow and ice - hardly got rid of one lot (snow, ice takes longer) before the next turned up.  Wind and heavy snow/sleet on top.  Without the yaktrax I would have found it very difficult to run at all on a couple of days.    Forecast is better for a few days now though.  Got out every day with at least a decent MLR yesterday - just under HM distance in just a light layer of slush for once.  Legs tired from the all the stumbling around so good thing it was a cut-back week.  Hoping to get back to some speedwork soon.