Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Izzy: I wouldn't get too obsessed with miles: as I said earlier, consistency is key. The runner I quoted above made big progress because of consistent consistency, in fact we call it progressive consistent consistency: gradually building up in terms of either speed or distance over time. And general strength, flexibility, conditioning work. A typical week would include 3 morning runs of 20 minutes to half an hour, fairly easy; Sunday long run (built up to 90 minutes); Monday long reps; Tuesday 30 mins then an hour's circuit training; Weds around an hour; Thurs short reps; Friday short easy run or rest; Sat parkrun or race or hill session. Nothing particularly unusual!

These are unusual times but you seem to have a good future set up in terms of a club and running with uni. 

And good advice from TR as well!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • really great advice thanks guys
  • Wow 😯 Really busy on here again: Covid, boozing & even a bit of running 😆Sorry to hear you’ve had another setback Muddy. Did you not get tested? Not sure what you meant by v55 pace btw.
    Can tell you’ve never been bitten by the parkrun bug SG. Saturday mornings are there for pushing hard. Look forward to reading of your segging exploits again.
    Welcome back Alex.
    Plenty of very good advice there already Izzy.
    You’ll certainly go a lot faster than 18:45 if you maintain consistent, structured training. Wasn’t clear whether you meant 17:xx or 17:00? I’d say the former is a certainty.
    I was about to advise against making the mistake of thinking more miles is better but Aley got there first. Works for marathons but not so great for speed. Obviously need a decent base but 45 sounds more than enough given your history & youth.
    Are you/have you been regularly involved in other sports? Do you do any strengthening work? Is your club in a Track & Field league? I made big gains at 5K by taking part in loads of shorter races one Summer in spite of being an old codger with over 10 years running experience.
    Been doing my daily 10 miles & c.1500’ runs. Closing in on a 10,000’ week.
    10.6M Thursday, 8.9M last night & 12.5M today. Ventured off road at times on the latter 2 which destroyed the average pace as the paths were doubling as bogs in places. Hit out on a couple of tarmac segs. Picked up a 2nd last night & a crown 👑 today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Apologies, I think that was me misreading it as being sub 17, when Izzy said later it was sub 18.

Which having done 18.45 solo, could well mean in a race she'd be competing for sub 18.30 already. Then suddenly it's not at all an unreasonable aim in the not too distant future!

Jools - you missed my parkrun phase when I was getting confidence back to race back in summer to autumn of 2016.
    I think I did about 6 in 8 weeks, touring around.

Obviously with some ludicrous moments, the "highlights" of which being
    1. Coming 3rd in a field of about 40 at South Oxhey, in a time that would have been 1st the previous 52 weeks
    2. Gadesbridge parkrun - They had some tents up for some festival - so the route changed. I was leading by miles and due to a lack of marshal/shocking signage, ended up trimming a bit of the course off on lap1. I made up my own extra bit for about 17:15 or something for 3miles and while they let me keep the "win", being about 4mins clear of anyone else, they for some reason "Pro-rated" it up to a ridiculous 18.46!
    3. Taking a tour with Big Phil to a new event, when under the weather and finding a guy who arrogantly told us runs a parkrun until he wins it - which because he's so amazing usually means he only needs to do it once. Was glad to see he didn't win this one ;)
    Probs a good thing I don't try and race one every week or we'd have some of this nonsense ;)

ps good segging. Will have to eat some more up myself, although with the lack of freedom of movement of areas, I'll have to research well!

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
     It’s not necessarily mileage Izzy, but undertaking proportionate rest and recovery, and not training too hard. That’s always the biggest mistake people make - they want it too much and believe that more training is the answer. Alex D has it right .. let the times be whatever they may be, but enjoy the process in the meantime. For what it’s worth I’m not a high mileage runner (40 mpw), and run everything to feel and rarely touch 10k pace, let alone 5k pace in training. I take a day off every week and do some light cycling or core strength work (sometimes take two days off) and would advise you to do the same. It will accelerate your development.
  • I can only say from experience, consistency is key. I've just finished 50+ consecutive weeks of 60+ miles. To put in perspective what thats translated to for me - I ran a solo flat 5km TT in May 2020 of 18.55mins. Today I ran a hilly solo 5km TT (part of a club championship) in 17.51mins. No track workouts for over a year, plenty of easy miles, plenty of steady miles. 

For what its worth that's an unofficial all time PR including legit races back in 2010/11 when i was last running seriously (i'm now 37 yrs old too).

I'm gunning for 16.5# this year but will not be changing anything significant. Running day in day out within your ability level, with some variation of paces, is so important.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds a quality effort there ALD. When you say club champs, is it just a virtual do a 5k job? Or does it have to be on the same designated route?

We've as a club committee talked about a few virtual events. I'm not a fan myself, but I know they get people engaged and feeling part of things.
    Some sort of overall mileage target for the club, or even handicapped groups to see who can do the most. The latter takes way more work than the former. But does the former encourage anyone to do anything different? Not sure!

What I am sure of is that today's 13 was plenty.  First 3miles came out decently sprightly, Probably 20 odd feet a mile down, so you don't really notice it, but it's there.

Then an ugly 180 or so feet climb, including a horribly muddy field to potter up.
    Before a bit of exploring a mile or so away, including one heck of a long gradual downhill, on a fairly narrow path with barb wire one side and metal gate the other.
    That called for sure footedness!! :D 

I did look back up thinking, there's no way in hell I'm trying to trudge back up that later. I'd probably still be out there!
    In the end emerged in Bourne End and a trot back up Sheepridge on another stiff climb that got the HR pounding.
    Luckily there's a few locals on here, to not make the specific nature of routes seem utterly pointless :)

Anyway, going forward, I think I'm going to re-start the 5k schedule - one sesh a week on the Friday, with some sort of tempo/tempo reps job on the Tue/Wed.

There's 12 sessions, so should get us into the sort of period where distanced races are coming back on the agenda. And even if they surprise us by coming back earlier, I can always switch the session to the Tuesday, and combine with a weekend race.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice TT ALD.

Wow, today's LSR was definitely slow and felt VERY long - legs felt tired from the off and it was an absolute sludge fest! 14.3M and 1850ft taking best part of 2h 20mins!  Just, shows, having a few days off is bad for you :smile:
  • That’s a steep improvement Alex. I made great gains by running lots of very easy miles back in Winter of 2017-18 but I was also racing every weekend even if it was only a parkrun.
    Sounds like a nasty descent SG. Frustrating too as you can’t capitalise on the earlier investment. Imagine you were in road shoes too just to make it that much more hazardous & adrenaline inducing.
    I honestly don’t know how you do it day after day in these conditions Bus.
    I‘ve had enough of the bogs & sliding after 3 days of multi-terrain running. Fell flat on my arse descending a grassy field with a K to go today - glad it wasn’t any earlier as it resulted in soggy gloves which are worse than useless & has aggravated the chilblain I got from Friday’s freezing cold trudge. 
    Another 11.3 miles & 1800’ takes me to 74 with 11,000’ for the week from 7 runs.
  • SG - same designated route. There are two 5km routes, one in summer and the other in winter. At the moment we're given a 2 week window to run it and submit the time. Usually they're monthly dotted around usual club races and socials.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Jools - I saw a guy has a segment on it at something like 4.50 pace, so it could be fast, but would need a hard baked surface on some summer day. Not a mid winter utterly mashed up mudfest. But yes, perhaps a bit wider than I'm making out, perhaps 2.5metres or so but a slip in those road shoes would still see you end up with a face full of some sort of metal :D

I normally rotate 2 pairs of wave riders, but having 3 pairs lined up, I instead for once have just drilled 1 pair to oblivion for the winter. They're about 600miles in, utterly smashed, obligatory massive hole where the big toe slashes the meshing. Probably another 2-3 weeks max in those I think.

At least your slip/ass muddying was late doors. That flooded Thames one I did I had utterly frozen feet from about 3miles in, that did wear off, but only from the full body soaking later on.
    That was a poor run back. About another 6-7miles clutching drenched headfones/ipod (which never did come back to life), and knowing I need to get going to not freeze on the spot :D 

Love that you question how Bus can do it, when you then quote an even sillier pro rata elevation :)

I do remember on muddy/hilly type slogs how I hate xc, and how the only good thing of this whole race call off is not the usual pressure for turning out for the team scorers! Especially as joint men's captain.
    At least i'll have done my 2 year shift by the time the next season starts so can disappear off the scene a bit. 

Needs some keen young blood, like Wool ;)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good going Bus, i really struggled to get going again after 2 wks of isolation.  2 wks of no running aged 53 did me no favours.
  • I can cope with the hills but it’s the mud which gets me down SG.
    4:50 pace is very sharp off road even for a DH seg if it’s any length.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I had to check, but it's just under half a mile, and drops 192feet. It's labelled "Ankle buster descent" :D 

It would have been soul destroying to even consider running back up that today in that mud!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's a shorter hidden seg within it, that a guy holds at 3.38 pace for 1min 25.
    0.39miles down 177 feet, and 3.38 pace...

Could be possible, but would have to be utterly flooring it to produce that.
    I doubt many people who aren't reckless fools sprint down steep hills!
  • Think I’m probably in the SG rather than Jools camp on the easy like Saturday morning. Love parkrun, but mostly for the social bants. 

10,000ft for a week is dizzying, Jools. Amazing - especially when some of it is on such tough and muddy terrain. I was looking out of my WFH office at Mayhill on Friday and wondered if you would be there. Strava later revealed you were! Out of interest, how did you find that SWCP run of mine from 18 months ago?

Nice consistency leading to a great TT, ALD. 

Talking of club challenges to engage people, SG, we have had two ‘baton’ style runs. A small magnetic club mascot was hidden somewhere. The runner then put (fairly easy) clues on Facebook. Someone else then ran to find it and go and hide it somewhere else. I think each run got logged on a spreadsheet somewhere. Lots of fun - and genuinely hard to get hold of the mascot! Good luck with the 5k focus. 

Solid week 7 of 12 of the 5k plan: 55.8M, culminating with as 12.2M buggy this morn at 7:23 average. Genuinely amazing running weather. 6C, low wind and actual sun. More vit D than I’ve had in a long time. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's very different SQ.
    I can imagine someone would say multiple handling of the same thing is a covid risk, but probably no risk with the amount of time it'll be hidden somewhere :)

Just have to hope it's not hidden too well - takes me back to a Marlow Striders' social bacin about 13-14 years ago.

The lead guy hid a bunch of t shirts in the woods.
    We didn't find them all. I reckon a couple are still out there ;)
  • @Jooligan the v55 thing was referring to the pace Stevie Gs clubmate did his 20 miler at. I didn’t test because I didn’t have the classic symptoms, but spoke to my sister that had it earlier in the year and it was exactly like hers, where she did test positive. I was in isolation anyway as the kid that sits next to my son at school tested positive so the class was disbanded to home schooling.

Easy return to long running tonight, what better to fill the antiques roadshow zone with than a 10 mile run.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Ah that makes sense Muddy. Things can’t be too bad if you can still do a 10 miler & call it easy 😀
    Bonkers pace SG. Probably done on a phone.
    SQ I was looking for the 3 Hills of Cleeve segment as you’d mentioned it on here recently which reminded me I’d always fancied a crack at it. Strava didn’t show it in Search or Explore so I trawled back through your runs looking for it. Remembered it was early summer post marathon training which narrowed the search down considerably. Also remembered the Apple Watch failing to pick it up one time. Of course that was the run I found first 😆
  • Yeah not too bad Jools, 3 weeks off was a big hit to the heartbeats per mile metric, but tonight’s run was comfortable at the end of a 35 mile week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's some late night posting there fellas :)

Jools - i'll have to try that downhill seg on firm ground one day. See if it's at least "human" level. I did put a 3.50 pace seg in once but very motivated, and very short distance.

Muddy - i'd wondered about the V55 thing too. Had to double check your age, and thought you were just meaning you were struggling to match the next age group up! But makes sense now.

I dare say if our man can do a 7.37 solo 32miler in lockdown he can beat 7.22 pace in a raced marathon.
    Always tops our club's mileage charts, generally over 80miles. Bit of a maniac really :D 

9 cold miles today. Kept it flat and smooth road today, because i wanted to see a lower 7 type pace on the watch.
    After a couple of loosener miles averaged out at 7.11.
  • Wow 55 posts since Friday.

The 2 x 5k went quite well - the first one was as expected, 17.36. I suppose you do it pretty hard, but knowing that you'll do the last 2k proper hard on the 2nd rep! So gave myself 5 mins and then set off on the 2nd one. It's a road lap, flat and downhill for the first 1.5k, then very slightly uphill for 2k.

The last 1.5 K has a bit of variety - it's downhill and flat for half of it, ten there's a bugger of a 200m rise up to the park and path...that takes you up to the track for the last 400m. the second one was 17.16, which was better than I thought it would be.

Did 17 yesterday, up to Dunstable and back. Alex D - Loving my NB Propel V2, saw the Prism are cheap too - and if anything like the Propel they will be amazing (they are the best long run trainers I've ever had.

9 again today - the usual one to Wing and back. Trying to keep the mileage to 70-80 pw if poss.

Muddy - I looked at the 5k records in AW yesterday - the masters ones are depressing!

• When you get old you don't sleep that well Stevie; running forums come in useful  ;)

Why so depressing Simon ? Not that I'm chasing any fast times any time soon. Impressive session. I've done a 2 x 5k workout in a kenyan hills style - so hard effort uphill, steady down. It was a peaking session for a half marathon attempt 10 days later. I think it ruined me, if I'm honest (the session, not the half).
  • Solid session SC. The fuelcell midsole is glorious isnt it. I have historically ran in support based shoes so wanted to try the prisms first with a slightly more solid build. But I have read very similar positive reviews about both.

Out of interest you're not the same SC that commented on J.Major strava post re Easy run pace are you?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Would like to see what you can do properly racing Simon, as that's the key context here.
    It looks like you could well be back to your 2018 level (low 16s?), rather than 2019 where you were "just" putting in 16:50s

ALD - there surely can't be many with SC name who run :)

Muddy - I can't say I ever feel marvelously well slept even after a lie in either. I swear it used to be easier in the old days. Now, sleeping in too long just makes you feel sluggish as anything.
    I often sleep a fair bit of Sunday away after the long run, but didn't yesterday due to the timing of the footy games I wanted to watch. Must admit I feel better for not having done that, quite oddly.

What are people's clubs "Putting on" for them at the moment in lockdown?
    Virtual stuff/quizzes etc?

I've already asked and got thoughts of Big Pete off forum, but just open to any other info from others?
    A couple of our lot are making a fair bit of noise behind the scenes about what's the point of signing on with nothing going on etc.
  • Inclusive team/club spirit options:
    Elevation challenge: climb the 3 peaks/Mont Blanc/Everest as a club over the weekend.
    Distance challenge: LEJoG as quickly as possible in mixed ability teams
    Inclusive but with some recognition for the speed demons:
    Pub crawl: most pubs in an hour + bonus points for distance covered.
    Run 5 miles at an even pace. Points deducted for each second away from the average pace in each mile. Bonus points awarded for fastest paced runs.
    For the speedsters:
    Flat out 5K: any course but only 20’ elevation difference allowed.
    Uphill 5K: any course but need to climb as close to 500’ as possible. Time penalties for each foot under but no benefit to climbing further.
    Downhill 5K: similar rules though obviously the penalties are for too much descending.
    1 hr challenge: run as far as possible

I’ve not done any of them unless there’s been some inter-club competitive edge although the first was last July when I was doing my max elevation in a month competition so I did contribute my weekend’s efforts.
    Inter-club: I’ve done an elevation relay & a 1hr relay. Both lasted 14hrs with runners setting off & finishing on the hr (or half hr for the elevation relay)

Went into work today so a return to the Canal 5M though the loop which involves a couple of small climbs rather than the pancake out & back job where the only climbing is in the final mile back to work. Felt like ridiculously hard work so left it at that rather than going out again this evening. Hopefully I’ll feel fresher tomorrow. Guess last week’s 11,000 ft of climbing has taken its toll 😆
  • Love some of those suggestions, Jooligan. The 5 mile consistent pace one sounds fun. Maybe at 7min/m and each min/m slower to 10min/m. 

Ours are now limited but we had a few club private segments locally with an age/gender based leaderboard. One of the chaps is a graphic designer so we got some cool medals.
  • You’d need more flexibility than confining it to integer minutes/mile for the fastest pace bonus to work. You could do a similar version as a progression run say increasing pace by 20 or 30s each mile. Of course that would necessitate judicious route planning as well as pacing but for many that’s more fun than the running.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Decent ones Jools. I'll log that stuff down.

I'll be setting myself up for a fall I expect as I'll probably get keen on an idea or two, and then they'll pick "take a selfie in the park and post it on fb" like a few weeks ago :D 

Also I like Marlow's idea, that seems to be along the lines of you pick a team of 8 or so, limit a run to about 19mins per runner, and log the mileage. Have 2 or 3 runs per runner.
    The "fun" part is that there's no rules of where you do the run, unlike usual time trials, meaning if you find an insane hill to storm down, that's in the rules.

I'd just make 1 rule - no track, as for me a 3miler probably adds 1/3mile for me.

Can complicate it by stretching it over a set amount of days (they did it over 19, and the duration as 19 for covid 19), or as some sort of run from where the last person finishes, but i think in lockdown just off simple mileage, all in, works well.

You'd get some quite tight battles I reckon, as even the fastest doing it will probably only put up to 4miles in with the steepest drop!

Seems much better than the idea of just all in mileage, as you'll just get whoever has our 32mile guy win it easily, unless you purposely team them up with some very occasional runners.

You want to keep the time picking teams down really, not some intricate handicapping system.
    I'm getting too into this...who would have thought that of me!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    8.5m this morning.
    Usual drill, lay back down after eating, so a sluggish couple of miles warming up, and when most runs are this sort of length hard to feel particularly motivated, like when every run is a bit different context.

However, all seen off for a 7.24 in the end.
    Ditch the car in for an MOT and then get to recover for the day - the beauty of singles.