Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    GD - there’s a YouTube channel you can check out for some free tips. Nicely done on the 15 and pleased to hear your hip is settling down. https://youtube.com/c/OlderYetFaster

Dom - TM running (boring as it seems) does guarantee consistency in the winter months. Well done on 90 mins. Do you watch or listen to anything? I’ve only run indoors so far this year and have enjoyed being able to focus on the session rather than where I’m going or navigating loose dogs. 

Speedy - great stuff getting it done in the changing weather. You are always dedicated to the cause regardless of what the weather throws at you.

Gul -Nice 2 mile splits. See link above for some ideas BTW. I'm happy to send you photos from my copy of the book of Heidi's foot strengthening stuff she recommends. Just shout.

DT - Totally agree that barefoot work on glutes helps strengthen the feet. Especially if you focus on strengthening the arch. Doesn't sound as if 7:45s is pushing an easy run for you. BTW I read a great article that talked about how to stay fit without peaking unnecessarily in lockdown and it included stuff like breaking the reps up so half were on the track or on flat ground and the second half on a hill. This ensures working on speed isn't overly taxing while also getting some strength work in with the hills which reinforces good stride mechanics and builds strength without breaking down the body. So instead of 20x 200s, you might consider 10 x 200s @5K pace with 200m jog recs, followed by 10 x 200m hills with easy jog back for recovery. I have only ever really done hills as any kind of speedwork as I have a tendency to break down otherwise.But I may introduce this approach when I head out after lockdown to build pace.

OO - nice weekly total there. Any tips on how to stay injury free to maintain the miles?

Jools -super session. I did a 5K time trial the other day and found I have no top speed. Managing 6 miles at that pace is brilliant.

4 x 400s on the TM this morning. With WU and WD a total of 7mi. Felt much easier than previous efforts. A glimmer of a sign I am getting fitter perhaps?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you're getting there, MsE.  You'll be speedy again before you know it!

Circuits with clubmates over Zoom followed by 5 mile recovery run this morning.  
  • DT - I did think about doing 3 reps but wimped out :)
    MsE - yes, if you don't mind that would be good, thanks. Good work on the treadmill; looking promising.
    Jools - very diligent.
    14 slow miles this morning. Need to buy some more paint.
  • MsE said:

Dom - TM running (boring as it seems) does guarantee consistency in the winter months. Well done on 90 mins. Do you watch or listen to anything? I’ve only run indoors so far this year and have enjoyed being able to focus on the session rather than where I’m going or navigating loose dogs.
    I'm very lucky in that my house had a garage into which you could drive a car, you just wouldn't have room to open the door to get out - that made conversion into a home gym a no-brainer!

Our old TV is mounted to the wall that the treadmill faces so it's Netflix all the way. Can be helpfully distracting from the tedium. Oddly (for me, anyway), I find my slow, Zone 2 treadmill runs much harder than intervals or hills run on the machine.

Totally agree that it gives consistency and removes excuses. I much prefer to run outside, but when darkness/ weather makes this dangerous or just deeply unpleasant, there's no good reason not to grind out an hour on the 'mill.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I forget to mention Friday’s washing machine repair lasted until Sunday morning. Luckily MrE tweeted Miele who agreed this is substandard and are sending a replacement today. 

An easy hour for me this morning. 

Gul - check your PMs. 

Dom - agree! My easy run today will need a gripping podcast to stop the boredom. 

Jools - love that you’re staying in touch by Zoom for circuits. I might suggest similar to my group as nothing has been arranged but it’s a great opportunity to work on weaknesses. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    MSE- it's great to see you come back after serious surgery. I know it's been a long road and not sure all here are aware. Personally I've tried to avoid running on very tired legs and introduced swimming as an alternative (when allowed), usually 2-3 times a week. I've also discovered stretching, particularly for my dodgy hips before I run. I know you are well versed here.
    I still don't know how you do it Dom but at least you have a good set up in the garage. My garage is crammed full of old bikes, tools and materials for my DIY habit.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Here is what OO is referring to for those unfamiliar with my injury history. June 2018 I had a spring ligament and posterior tibial tendon repair having been told initially I would never run again. The worst thing was I had only just has a Brostom Gould repair of a ruptured ligament on the other ankle the previous year. It took a year to recover from this major operation. A year to learn how to run again and strengthen sufficiently to run efficiently. And a further half year to develop some degree of resilience through building mileage and strength training. I'm only now able to run fast without fear. So the speed work I can do on the TM is a mini victory for me, having only ever done tempo work to develop speed. The moral of the story: be conscious of your landing. Too much overstriding will find you out. As someone who has a bouncy stride and a tendency to land on the forefoot, this was the consequence. 
  • I feel you on the fear MsE. Mine was just a bog standard ankle break, but I'm now really scared of uneven ground. I've been back in those woods once so far and I did not like it one bit. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    11 for me this morning.  Despite a later than usual start (7.30) I felt incredibly groggy, and didn't really wake up until the turnaround point (out and back route today).  Then a strength/proprioception session over Zoom with my sports masseur.

MsE: yes, the Zoom circuits are a nice way of keeping in touch and doing some kind of a session together.  I certainly wouldn't be doing full press-ups at 7am on a Monday morning without company forcing me to!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You are not going to want to hear it Speedy but trips get more frequent as you get older. I stear well clear of the off road these days after a few tumbles in Keswick. 

The rain is in for the day here. Lucky for those who got out early 🌧

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    OK I know it is a running thread but I have to share the joy (and give away my complete and utter middle-aged-ness) of the replacement machine Miele just delivered. Washing for my family of 6 will never be the same again! https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/miele-wcr860-washing-machine
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    It seems my training profile will take an immediate new look.
    Got placed on furlough yesterday and had my first day of it today. The company are looking after us but it’s still rather unsettling.

It is what it is, many have things far worse than me, so let’s stay positive. Did a few jobs around the house this morning and then went for a late morning 10 miler.
    Pretty much an out and back route and on the way back the early winds of storm Christoph showed up and blew me backwards. Averaged 7.15 pace and hip complaints eased the more it went on.

This new free time should allow me to do more sessions as well as more important strength work to get fully fixed.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ouch, that does look nasty, MsE. Great perseverance on your part to be back at it! £1500 for a washing machine!! I bet it's good!

It's a difficult balance right now as I have a marathon in 10 weeks that I am trying to prepare as normally for as possible, but with the persistent niggling that it may well not happen.

Gul, nice 14, but wimp on the reps!!

Speedy/MsE- Yes, having had a stress fracture last year I am also regularly in panic mode when I get a twinge in that area.

G-dawg, I get that it's a bit unsettling but in my role I get to deal with a lot of furlough related matters and i'm a bit hardened to it so my advice would be to just enjoy the time out as a paid sabbatical. It's definitely a good opportunity to spend a bit more time on the extra bits and pieces we should do that we don't always have the time for.

Session today of 3 x 2m at 10k effort. First pair were straight into the wind and came out at 6.04 and 6.05. Next were wind assisted and were 5.51 and 5.58. The last pair were a mix of both and came out 5.53 and 6.00. With the walk recoveries I covered exactly 10k in 39.57. With wu and cd, 8.5m.

• MsE, that's quite the incision! Glad you have come all the way back:) Do whatever you need to keep everything working!

And you are all invited to Vermont for some runs in the snow. I just ran in a pretty heavy snowstorm on Saturday. 2 hrs of winter wonderland softness. Plus that unique hush/quite/soft sound that only happens when everything is covered in deep snow. 

I also appreciate a good summer run in the rain (where you are well into the run before the rain starts and it all just works!).

Been hard to get good fast running in due to surfaces being slick more often than not and/or temps in the low teens/single digit F. But that's OK as I've been feeling a bit burned out. So just running miles and not worrying too much about mixing in steady quality. I'm sure the mojo will return when ready. I pretty much kept in marathon shape all year despite no races so probably not too surprising that a mental break might be in order. 
  • Dom - sounds like a great set up. My old garage is currently a decorating room :)
    MsE - hurray; very exciting :) Thanks for the info you posted. I will start next week ;)
    Jools - good groggy MLR.
    GD - hope everything works out okay and every cloud has a silver lining as they say.
    DT - smoking session!
    VTr - thanks for the invitation but that does sound a bit extreme. Hopefully a bit of down time will mean some good recovery.
    A bit more decorating this morning then a 6 mile recovery run to get some milk. Garmin are going to replace my watch (dodgy battery?) so I tried using the GPS on my phone. It was over 3 miles short and when I checked it lost signal during the first mile and only picked it up again by the supermarket. Good teleporting across town though ;)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you VT and your fluffy snow sounds lovely.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you VT  :) (((packs bags)))
  • GD - I have to admit I'm a little jealous. Loads of my colleagues got furloughed in the first lockdown but not me. I was so burned out. Still am really. 

VTR - I'm with you on the summer rain, but you can keep your white stuff, thanks all the same. I like the ground to stay still when I put my foot on it! 

Awful run last night. Out of nowhere my insides had, shall we say, issues? Just before I went out for my run. I put it down to a one off episode. Ran to the bottom of my hill and had to turn round and run back home again. Some 20 minutes later I decided I was probably going to be OK and headed out again (into the raging winds of storm Christoph). I managed the warm up, the first mile rep and about a 3rd of the second mile rep before my innards made it clear that they didn't approve) I then had to do the bum clench shuffle for 2 miles in the gale and now rain too. It's not like you can dive into the nearest pub to use the facilities these days! No idea what that was about but I still feel a bit iffy. Treadmill today, then the furthest I have to shuffle is up the stairs!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Weird how that can happen from nowhere, SG. I can count 4 times where I’ve had similar, on one occasion I just made it to the leisure centre where our run started and finished. For the other three I had to dive into the woods to, let’s just say, get up close and back to nature. Quite a liberating experience.  :#

Winds and rain from storm Christoph here today but not as bad as further north. Got out for a 9 miler which comprised a hill reps session as the main feature. 10 longer hill repeats on a hill I haven’t run on since 2017. Hard going but really enjoyed it as the weather added to the challenge and also kept other folk inside.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Happy days watching the inauguration of President Biden in the US. Leaves me with hope for a kinder mindset as the US is such a worldwide trendsetter.

DT - really nice 2 mi efforts.

GD - sorry to hear about the change for you. I hope you settle into a new rhythm soon and can enjoy the relative freedom to choose when to train now. Well done onsetting 9 mi in in the midst of Storm Christophe today.

Gul - let me know when you start those exercises. 

Speedy - poor you. Stressed belly?

VT- my bags are packed. Should I also include my snow shoes?

Delighted to report my washing machine is really really good! Miele customer service is excellent. Today I had a 4 mi progressive tempo on the schedule so I did an extra 10 min warm up after some pre-run mobility work and Graston on my ankles and calfs, and then hopped on the TM. I find it really hard to run fast from the start and, as expected, it felt really uncomfortable. Miles clocked in at 6:37, 6:34, 6:17, 6:17/mi with a total of 7 and a bit miles.  I reflected that it would have been easier to run that at the end of a 10 mile run. But I guess that is why I focus on endurance as my strength.  Anyway, hopefully a good benchmark to develop speed endurance. 
  • MsE I'd say that was a pretty speedy effort. Nice. And you can pack your downhill skis (my new winter hobby!). So much fun.

Speedy, hope all is settled now. Nothing worse than what you described (desperately needing an out, but not finding anything and knowing you have a long way to go to get home!)

GDawg, sorry to hear the news, but make the most of it and train with the luxury of extra time!

Gul, I feel like your tech is always letting you down! ;-)

10M for me this morning in another light snow storm. Was nice.
  • Speedynot a great experience :(  There used to be a 24 hour supermarket on the other side of town which has come in handy on many occasions, but since the first lockdown it started opening at 6am instead - not so convenient :)
    GD  - well done battling the elements on those hill reps.
    MsE - great work on the treadmill. Don't mix up the programming on there with the washing machine! No exercises today, sorry....
    VTr - nice snow run. I baulked at the thought of paying the charge for replacing my watch, but it is out of warranty, so I guess that's fair enough. However, it seems like throwing good money after bad - it's a very basic model and not that great, so I may as well save up and buy a better one. So looks like it will be out and back runs for me for a while!
    I didn't need my watch or phone this morning. I overslept a bit, so it was straight on with the decorating...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

speedy, I hate it whe that happens. I take toilet roll out with me just in case as i'm usually running rurally. However this time of year without leaf cover it's not so  easy on the very odd occasion emergency measures are needed.

MsE, nice progressive there. I came along here as you were just beginning your issues so I've no real idea where you were pace wise and where you are heading back to?

VT- that sounds very pleasant in the snow.

Gul, hopefully the garmin will be back soon.

g-dawg- nice reps.

9 for me a well yesterday, however I kept it very easy following Tuesdays reps. I managed to avoid the rain but it was very windy. Just a shorter recovery today and some turbo work if I get time.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Got out mid-morning for a mixed pace recovery. 6 miles on quiet roads. In an effort to avoid a narrow village high streetI I went behind the cricket ground onto a small trail. It was flooded so I slowly walked my way through but still missed the edge of the path and ended knee deep in the flooded ditch.

At least my trainers got a clean!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    6 miles with strides this morning.  A breezy day, and a bit rainy, but here in the southwest we've got off lightly relative to others.

It sounds like Gul was painting by 7am!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Must be a day for 6s. Me too with some efforts on the beach. Blown around like a twig but at least the rain stopped....
  • More snow here and breaking the mold with 7 miles:)
  • DT - windy here too, but we have missed much if the rain fortunately. Garmin hasn't gone back - I'm too tight!
    GD - good XC training ;)
    Jools - nice 6 miler. I finished painting (for the day) just before 7am :)
    OO - I get that was bracing by the sea.
    VTr - 7! What were you thinking ;)
    Just for a change, did a bit more painting this morning. Then went out to do 6x3 mins, but my watch died when I took a split. So an estimated 6 miles which turned out as more of a fartlek.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul I've discovered Dulux 'mild sheen'. It's a water based white paint for internal woodwork. It's a game changer and I've used it for every door and piece of woodwork in our house- highly recommended. Not cheap but for speed and coverage it's excellent 😉

Too windy today for my planned virtual 3.3 mile race. So will have to delay till tomorrow.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Rebellious 7 there, VTRunner!  A bit jealous of your beautiful snow, though.  Just ice here, although a lovely thick frost on the grass to go with it, and a stunning sunrise.  Met up with a clubmate for a steady 6: started with headtorches and ended with daylight.  I love the morning runs gradually becoming lighter!