Sub 3

Comments

• I can assure you all the snow is very much not a northern thing, unless you're all so southern you think Nottingham is in the North! Since I hail originally from the Proper North (some 200 miles further up the A1), as far as I'm concerned the Midlands is a loose term meaning South but not as far South as Cornwall. 

I might still scrape a 50 mile week, even though I cut yesterday short in the awful conditions. It hasn't quite gone away yet though, so tomorrow could be dicey! Today is active recovery, so no running required. 

Joe, the end of May is a very long time away and surely there's a glimmer of hope for that one!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    OO - agreed good to have a target race, a 1/2 wouldnt give me the fear though.

Joe - that gives you a good amount of prep time, i can see racing in Apr and May, but not sure about a race of that size. Defo train for it though, and if needs be switch to a cct type race.

CC - Nottingham is a long way North of me.

Wasnt as icy as feared today, 8m done. Tomorrow mornings long run is going to be a drenching and will probably need an Ark though.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Joe - Edinburgh sounds spot on on terms of timings  near enough and far away enough if that makes sense.  Yes, Thursdays and Fridays will certaiy be mini holidays from homeschooling and a chance to get out in the sunlight. 
    CC - I studied at Nottingham  always thought the place where the North meets the South.
    TR - Hope the forecasters are wrong for tomorrow. 
    Jooligan - 5000m already, wow but you are pretty supreme in hill/ mountain running. 2000m in a month is small beer in comparison. 
    2 x 5m today, both at a very easy pace.  Eyeing up a trail ultra in Exmoor early June as keen to have a race focus. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. I guess summer is borderline for crowded events so we can but hope for the best.  Edinburgh has been popular over the years, particularly with London rejectees! 

CC2.. your worst fears were realised here too.. I went for a walk earlier and all the rutted snow had frozen rock hard, slippery and lumpy so ankle straining stuff.  Tomorrow morning looks windy & wintery followed by heavy rain though the afternoon looks ok. :/

TR.. hope your forecast doesn't look like ours in the morning!

Jooligan.. good work & impressive miles in the hills.

OO.. very jealous of 8 degrees.

Due to the icy stuff it was another day on the treadie, 8m done.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - that will defo get you out the door.

Wardi - that ice sounds grim.

Copped the expected soaking (although sods law, it stopped in the last mile or so). 8m easy, 10m approx mp +10%, although i was cold after the easy miles so probably got a bit too much of a shove on and the 10m averaged 6.59 even on the hilly loop. Good fitness builder though.
    Sunday was turbo, but my 6 runs gave me 65m for the week.
  • Yeh size of the event is probably the biggest worry. But any race entry seems to be a risk at the moment.

CC2 - Well i'm a southerner with a northern family living in the Midlands. Having been to university in the North as well I feel like i've experienced it all. Seems the snow has been an East thing rather than the north/south divide.

TR - That sounds like a fair effort in the conditions. Good fitness builder indeed.

OO - Exmoor trial marathon sounds a little wild but race focus is definitely a good thing.

Wardi - hard luck on the weather front but you can thank the lord you have a treadmill!

Rest yesterday so thought i'd give this timed running a go. 10 miles with 2x(10 mins on, 10 mins off). Pace drifted upwards a bit in the reps but probably averaged out at around 5:55. Picked up a couple of strava crowns in the process which is all the sweeter when you weren't actually going for them. 14 miles tomorrow hopefully to round off another solid week.
  • Am I capable of a 17min 5km? - this year went from 21min- 18.45 with a coach (45mile a week) since july - before then just parkruns and odd long runs.
  • CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I got wet today too TR, but at least the rain got rid of the snow and ice! Took me hours to warm up afterwards though. 4 miles hilly tempo plus 8 90 second hills plus recoveries, warm up and cool down came to 10 miles. I hadn't realised it would be such a big session. I'll easily hit 50 miles for the week and would have hit 60 if I hadn't cut Thursday's run short in the snow and slush. 

Izzy -  we're mostly in to marathons here so maybe not the best people to ask about a 5k. What's your background, length of time running, age, training volume? 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    IzzyD..  there's a girl around here that has progressed from 19.07 to 16.55.  It is a mixture of talent and ability.  Her BF is a sub 31 10k runner so she is in good hands.  You are talking about going from 6mm to under 5.30mm so I would deal with it in chunks and knock 10-15 secs off at a time.

TR.. bravo, that's a great effort in the conditions. Hope the dunking wasn't too wet. 

CC2.. glad you were able to get it done, still very icy here today.

Joe.. good 10m session and hope the circa 14 miler goes well.

Almost went ar*e over t*t on the ice walking to the paper shop this morning so stuck to 8m on the treadle today.  Milder temps & a thaw happening so hoping to get outside tomorrow.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - building nicely. You must have 16+ weeks until Edinburgh? So plenty of time.

CC - sounds like that rain has done you a favour then.

Wardi - sounds like you need a drop of rain too, to melt the ice.

Turbo day today.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Joe - Good pace on those intervals. The Exmoor Ultra will be a definite green for go if I get a place in the OCC @ UTMB in August. Applying next week but the odds are 8/1.

Seeing the weather most are experiencing, feeling slightly guilty/ blessed that today and yesterday's runs were in warm sunshine plus today saw a huge murmuration of birds over the river.(got to take your fun where you can these days).
    5m @ 6.42 yesterday and a slow 12m today to bring up 51 for the week.
  • Wardi - better a near miss! Hope the predicted thaw occurred for you.

TR - Yeah loads of time. 18 week plan starts a week Monday so its just a nice build for now.

OO - no need to feel guilty or if there is I should feel guilty too. sounds like a good few runs there for a weekend.

Dragged myself out of bed "early" today and rewarded with lovely sunshine for 15 miles. Sunshine doesn't half make you feel warmer. 2 layers on top but took the gloves off.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. a decent weekend of exercise there, good pace on Saturday.
    Joe.. Nice work on the early doors long-ish run, decent day here too.

TR.. yes we did get a gradual thaw as temps rose and a bit a bit of rain fell.  Only problem now is the local river is very high and heavy rain is forecast all day for Tuesday and Wednesday.  The local football club are usually the first to be submerged so their fingers will be firmly crossed.

11.5m today in quite pleasant conditions, very little snow left.  58m for the week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds great, got to enjoy the nice weather days, as theyll no doubt be plenty of cold and wets days before Spring.

Joe - that 15 sounds nice. 18wks gives you loads of time to build up.

Wardi - sounds like more weather disrupted running this week then.

I was tempted to run today esp as it was much better weather, but i stuck with the intended turbo. My old body is improving with 6 days of running and a bit less mileage at the mo and this year could have a few marathons and plenty of miles through the summer and autumn.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    11 with 6 X 1 mile yesterday - a bit erratic in the efforts with a spread of 6.49 down to 6.31 - and then 18 today to make 54 for the week 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see Dan A on Mastermind tonight (and victorious).  A handy chap for your quiz team. 🤔

A nice weekend's work with those mile reps and long run Jools.

A steady day with 5.2m done, tomorrow looks like a soggy one
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good couple of days there jools.

Wardi - Dan did well, very even paced too.

10m run commute home yday, 8m back in this morning. After last wks 3x10min today was 12min, 5x2min, 12min. Pretty windy in places to add to the hilly bits, but similar paces to last week. But ive realised i need to ignore the paces due to the route and conditions (one of the 2 min was 7.08 pace as it was all uphill). Banked and move on. Body is improving and moaned less than last week. 3x15min next week.
  • Wardi - the snow clears and then gets replaced with this! Wind and rain combined never pleasant.

TR - You did well to avoid the running temptation and looks like it has paid off with run and session. Focusing on effort rather than pace very sensible I think. You run more than enough to know if you're putting in the effort or not on a given day.

Jools - crikey, that looks like tough back to back days. A bit similar to my weekend and it certainly hurt for me.

Given some tough sessions of late I'm feeling quite leggy this week. With that and the weather I didn't really fancy getting out today but got 8m done. I've promised myself it'll be nothing other than easy paced running with the aim of finishing the week feeling fresh.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm turning into a bit of a weekend warrior: intervals in a medium long run run on Saturday and then long run on Sunday, and then only really steady running in the week.  It certainly took it out of me: I wasn't in court today and so took the chance to squeeze in another MLR, and my goodness it took the legs a long time to get going...  Not the nicest morning, either, but the forecast for tomorrow is even worse.  Then a proprioception and stretching session over Zoom with my sports masseur before knuckling down to work.  Definitely feet up this evening!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. great to hear you are getting back to top health, good commuting miles in the bank.

Jools.. much sympathy with the weather, I guess we always feel extra virtuous after a soaking run.

Joe.. ditto, good on you for getting out.

Got out for 9m this morning in persistent steady rain, lesser of two evils as it got worse this afternoon!
  • I wonder if I can find Mastermind on catch up somewhere...

Awful run last night. Out of nowhere my insides had, shall we say, issues? Just before I went out for my run. I put it down to a one off episode. Ran to the bottom of my hill and had to turn round and run back home again. Some 20 minutes later I decided I was probably going to be OK and headed out again (into the raging winds of storm Christoph). I managed the warm up, the first mile rep and about a 3rd of the second mile rep before my innards made it clear that they didn't approve) I then had to do the bum clench shuffle for 2 miles in the gale and now rain too. It's not like you can dive into the nearest pub to use the facilities these days! No idea what that was about but I still feel a bit iffy. Treadmill today, then the furthest I have to shuffle is up the stairs!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Oof that's not great CC2, is that a hangover from your old issues or just a one off?  Treadie quite sensible today!

As predicted the local FC pitch is underwater again.  They have got 'flood doors' down there and all the kit & caboodle has been moved to higher level so hope they will be ok.

10.3m this morning, a toasty 10 degrees but persistent rain throughout.  Used my favourite cycle track route as it did offer a bit of shelter from the wind & rain.  I do go over the River Ouse on this route and there is a LOT of water where water should not be. :o
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good idea Joe

Jools - not a bad thing though, you'll easily be able to up a couple of midweek runs over a few weeks if you decide to.

Wardi - i copped a soaking today too.

CC - its on iplayer......i have to do any quicker running in the morning to avoid tummy issues, even though i only run easy on my commute runs home, i still find myself in the woods every few weeks.

10m wet and windy run home tonight.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    9m back in today, pretty windy still but stayed dry.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good work TR, blowing a gale here all day too.
    Easier day planned here so just over 5m today. 
    Our town main street was starting to submerge last night but it turned out to be the drains backing up rather than the river.  The fire brigade managed to pump it out before properties were flooded thankfully.  Not sure I could run more than a few miles without reaching flood waters ATM.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Some folks really suffering with flooding, must be so hard for them with all of the issues and suffering with Covid etc too. My neice is at York University and put some videos up on the family chat group, so much water.

TR your 9m pips my 8.5m, not windy, though did get splattered with hail stones at the end, January running eh.  Quite happy with the run as came out at an average of 6.50 and it felt like steady jogging with not too much effort. 

I see the Newport marathon has been put back to October from April and my Geneva marathon in May has stopped taking registrations whilst it awaits visibility for racing in 2021.  Roll on the vaccine rollout, both wife and daughter (NHS  frontline) got their first jabs today.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    An icy and frosty morning here, but a beautiful sunrise and clear skies as a result.  A steady 6 miles with a clubmate, starting needing headtorches and by the end just being able to enjoy the daylight.
  • OO - I thought about the Newport marathon so i'm glad I didn't push that on. Don't want to be in TR's million Autumn marathons position. Good news on the jabs for wife and daughter. Good running there. Your 8.5m pips my 7.5m.

Wardi - blocked drains are the last thing you need when flooding is already a risk.

TR - Steady running there.

The wet and windy has turned into cold and sunny. Frosty out but not as cold as it was a few weeks back. Easy running continues over the weekend. Hoping to hit 50 miles again total but not a single mile quicker than 7:30.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That sounds like an early start Jools, a lovely day here too after the last two day's downpours.

OO.. that's a decent clip for 8.5m, shame about the hail stones! :|

Joe.. they are as well prepared as they can be in the town as this flooding seems to be almost an annual event. 

Just over 10m today, nice to get out without a rain jacket - blue sky and clear views.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Clear and frosty again this morning, with some beautiful mist in the Avon Gorge.  I rather wished I did run with my phone so I could take some pictures, but I begrudge the extra weight.  12 miles with 3 x 4km @ marathon effort today.  Just outside 3 hour pace (which would be 17 minutes dead for each effort): 17.11, 17.02, 17.04.  A few icy puddles to side-step, but pretty ok under foot, thankfully.  And the pace is definitely going in the right direction (especially as it's still 8.5 months until the B of Bang, if that happens at all...).