Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Got to keep the ball rolling SG. Those runs are the ones which add up in the end. Nothing spectacular in it but reverting back to previous posts, consistency is key.

15km at moderate pace with short accelerations randomly throughout. Loops of local village as there's a good mix of ups/downs/flats for mixed gradient accelerations. Came out as 4.12min/km (6.45min/m). Really enjoyable rolling just that bit faster than easy pace and good strength builder as you never really slow down after the faster surges. 
  • I don't see how the general club activities translate at all to a virtual environment. 

Let's say a club typically meets Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. You will get a range of people so some will run 6 or 7 days a week and those 3 sessions will be the bulk of their quality work, and others may only run 2 or 3 times a week and the club sessions are their only sessions. The thing that was always good for me with a club session is that you end up with a few people who are close to your ability and you try and catch those who are slightly faster and stay ahead of those who are slightly slower. 

If I am doing a session then I don't really give a flying about the majority of others: I am concentrating on my performance and the performance of a few people who are close to me. The point of the club is to bring similar people together for that competition, and if as you change you slide up or down the ladder. 

So, if there is a weekly competition to clock the fastest 5k and that is published as a league table then that is a useful thing, so you see where you are and push to climb that table, but as soon as "soft skills" get pulled in and you move away from raw performance then you may as well post the selfie and be done.  
  • Downhill 5k sounds hilarious but a club won't do that at the moment because they'll end up encouraging travelling to the nearest mountain  :D

Our club aren't really pushing any virtual running events at the moment, it's shame but I am not bothered enough to actually get on a committee and do it myself so I am staying quiet.

9 miles yesterday and the calf was fine but glute a bit tight, probably from all the strengthening exercises I have been doing. Zwift team time trial race tonight, the one area where the club are staying connected.
  • Alex D - Yes that's me..I haven't met JM, but we have been battling previously over the 400 segment over the track from me in Leighton Buzzard. Where are you based?

SG - Racing can't come quickly enough. Think I might be nudging sub 16.30 again soon. I am facebook friends with the other Simon Coombes too, he's a V40 over in Swansea ;)

Muddy - depressing as in how fast the times are..Met Mick Hill a few times and he's a v45 banging out 14.50 for 5k! the current V50 is 15.23 I think..

4.5 mile jog this morning and just come back from some hills, 3 big loops, last time about 10 years ago I did the lot in 29.55, 30.50 today, not too bad.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Reg has it right there that if we don't want to get on committees and make events happen we can't moan about what is or isn't put on. My club does loads of stuff but I ignore it all as none of it appeals to me, though nearly everything is popular with many others! I'd like to see virtual events on the same course, albeit at different times to suit the individual (and hence same distance whatever Garmin/Strava says!) but they never happen.

Lots of impressive training going on as ever; Jools, Alex, SG, Muddy (good to have you back on here), SC all going well and Bus the usual crazy climbing which is bound to negate speed a bit!

Trying to vary my approach a bit at the moment. First go at a reps session for ages yesterday. Was 10x400 the first 5 of which I just followed my daughter (av. was about 1.36 but then she was 'done in') so 5 more on my own av. 1'26 so not too bad. Today was another go at my 'duathlon' session; 12k ride from home to the start of the Deer Park, run down the Long Walk to Windsor Castle and back (about 8.5k) then the 12k ride home again. Again using the hybrid bike as easier for the right attire to swap for a run and about 1 hour 50 all in. Felt quite a tough work out but the variety makes it enjoyable. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Pete and Reg have it spot on. If you're not going to contribute, don't moan. Constructive comments, or ideas will never offend anyone, but just slating the people giving up free time as volunteers isn't on.

We've consolidated the ideas from here, and the chairman threw it out to the club too. So plenty of ideas, and I dare say they'll select a few. Just hope it's different from the tedious "go and run a standard distance fast" virtual stuff.

Love it Pete. Cigar on giving your daughter tips while she's absolutely straining it out, and then "go sit down, let daddy show you how this is done" mode. :D 

ALD I read about your run and thought, I'm going to do a progression run tomorrow. No concrete plan or zones or any of that, just a rough 3-4miles to get warmed up out to the other end of town, then turn the pace up gradually. See what happens.

• SC - I'm near Nottingham but i work in the same team as JM. Is that the concrete type track circuit he does most of his TT round? 

SG - love those runs. Mentally refreshing yo ease up the pace without watch checking for specifics. 

Our club has a great committee and has a real mix of social runners and competitive. They do a solid job of keeping everyone motivated with various virtual initiatives and most of us live close enough together to at least do paired runs.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wet and windy, but a steady progression run.
    All 8 miles getting quicker, ending with a 6.08 and no doubt second half of that was faster.

Second half has downward bias, but working the 6.40 down you have that bit of scope in effort, but 6.08 felt a touch last mile, probably because as above it was ending harder, and probably despite a 20feet down over the mile, it was into a bit of wind.

Decent turnout, without smashing it
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    My 8 miler this morning was also significantly quicker SG than yesterday's - but then it was on tarmac rather than sludge and had half the climbing :smiley:

Pete - that's a pretty testing return to intervals! I find I really struggle to find the motivation for reps, but I guess being able to impress your daughter would help :wink:  Using the hybrid is actually better training anyway, as it's harder work! 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Bus/SG: Sadly no scope to impress my daughter as she buggered off as soon as she had done her 5 and declared moodily she was doing no more. :) I share you lack of motivation for reps too Bus and only did these as my daughter was; no sure if there will be a follow up anytime soon.

Nice runs both of you too; not exactly good conditions today either with the wind and rain; trying to summon some enthusiasm for a lunchtime run.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Simon - Ah, I see it that it's gratifying that those sorts of times are possible. I wouldn't want to train for them though ! I'm firmly in the non-competitive running camp.

4m in 30 mins, 7m in 50-ish mins, 4m in 30 mins so far this week. Aiming for a 40 mile return on the week, after 35 miles in and around 7.20 min/mile last week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    These steady, or progression runs are funny, as they're not "hard" sessions like your main tempos or reps, but they're not a doss either.
    You don't quite get "up" for them either, so add a bit of rain and wind in, and while you have a bit more motivation than your normal day runs, it's not a patch on the main sessions.

Pete - love the flouncing :disappointed:

Muddy - in what way are you "not competitive" out of interest? 40miles a week (when not ill) is still a decent input, you buy the top priced Nike shoes, you race abroad, you write on a running forum and you do sessions in races. You're right at the top of most local level races, and will be an animal at V50 level.
    Why not just admit you're quite a keen runner :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It's that relativity thing again :smiley:

Weather wasn't too bad this morning Pete. Bit breezy,  but largely dry and unseasonably mild! Could be very windy at lunchtime and wild this evening when Christoph hits properly. I'm touching wood the rain stay further north as the fields round my house are absolutely saturated and there is nowhere for any rain to go! The flood scheme behind my house that is designed to intercept run-off from the fields relies on soakaways, but I can't imagine there's anywhere for the soakaways to soak away too now!  I've already put my own flood defences in place just in case......
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Alex_D said:
    SC - I'm near Nottingham but i work in the same team as JM. Is that the concrete type track circuit he does most of his TT round? 

SG - love those runs. Mentally refreshing yo ease up the pace without watch checking for specifics. 

Our club has a great committee and has a real mix of social runners and competitive. They do a solid job of keeping everyone motivated with various virtual initiatives and most of us live close enough together to at least do paired runs.

Small world! Where in Notts are you? I lived in Sherwood for a couple of years late 90's.

Yes I can nearly see the track out of my office window. There's a little drone clip - if you stop it on 20 secs, I live in the houses in the bottom right, with the track central.

The lake (when not flooded) is at the end of the clip on the left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFWRIUSWFs

• I mean I'm not bothered about competing Stevie, rankings etc. I want a balanced life rather than hammering myself with training week in week out. Not that I don't enjoy running and racing but planning running and training and sessions and the like, it's not really something I get excited about.

I race abroad because my ex-missus is over there and it's a little treat for myself when I take our son over.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fair comment Muddy - it takes all sorts.
    I remember seeing someone describe 60miles a week as "hobby" level - which I thought was astounding back then! But I see what he means now.

Some people are limited by time, and suddenly ramp it up on furlough/being out of work etc -others are limited by injuries/illness over a certain level and I've known some sensational runners where that level is about 20 odd miles a week, and they've had insane stress fractures/pelvis issues!

I tend to find 60s are about my sweet spot whether in or out of work routine.

Those races don't half break things up though. Enjoyment and the whole trip and reminiscing just after all make it worthwhile for me. Times and awards are (very welcome!) bonuses.
  • I think 25 mpw is my sweetspot! Any more and I start getting injuries. 

Had a Zwift race last night, team time trial format, it's a good workout but not a flat out race as you take a turn on the front then it's quite comfortable sat in the line. I took the front for the last couple of miles though and just smashed it all the way to the line. Painful but great fun. Even needed a drag on the inhaler after.

10km progression run today, didn't plan to do it but it was wet, windy and I was cold so I started picking the pace up. First 5km 21:15 and the second 5km 18:45. I was kind of motivated at half way to see if I could get it bang on 40:00 or slightly under but was probably a couple of seconds over.

• Stevie, I did sign up for coaching to see whether I could improve on it a couple of years ago but I couldn’t find the time to do the training properly as prescribed. Each session was at least an hour and there were two speed workouts each week. Not only that but three strength and conditioning workouts to perform too. It fell apart quite quickly trying to follow it amongst other commitments so it was back to doing my own thing.

I’ve got an entry rolled over from last year for Manchester marathon in October, so if working from home continues for many more months I will have much more time for both mileage and recovery.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly quite a commitment to fully go all in on coaching - doing exactly the session prescribed on the stated day. This thread was basically me doing just that for a good number of years, but then 2015 broke that a bit, as I had to work out that I could continue at all :)

I've had a few spells where I think I nailed the perfect mix of a proper training block under my own steam and flexibility of entering races - that has to be the dream ticket if we get back to it later this year. Thought I dare say we'll all take just being able to turn out as the big win!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    SG - i had a New Forest 10m place rolled over from last July to this July, theyve rolled it over to 2022. Thats a trail race with plenty of wide open area at the start and finish. The pressure on the NHS is so high now that i think it'll be more May or June before anything comes back, and that'll be closed off races. Ive eased off slightly on my Dorney mara prep for Easter, but will keep at ot as the Autumn will no doubt have a few maras in it although i doubt the big city races again due to covid mutations.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Horrible sense of deja-vu seeing these races being postponed isn't it.
    The optimism does seem to be wearing off a little, and realistic dates going backwards.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Decent 9 today. Out and up - turned round, down and back.

Midway I had planned to see where a random footpath went, but I took about 50metres down the slope in thick mud, clocked the even sillier drop into some sort of nature reserve, and thought, no - i'll be splodging around with no real idea where it goes, and not the day for it.

7.16 job, with a just about sub 8 for the mile that had that bit in there!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Not the best conditions for random off-road exploring - even I've hit the tarmac the past two days!

Lumpy 7.2M this morning which felt much harder than it should of for some reason, which was reflected in the pace.  I briefly toyed with the idea of taking advantage of the early run to add a short double this evening but will use the lockdown guidance as my excuse for not being arsed :wink:
  • I had one of those runs yesterday Bus. Went back over the same route today. Much better weather & a reasonable night’s sleep made it a lot more enjoyable & almost 6 minutes quicker over 19K. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Even for relentless mileage types like us lot, I dare say no-one can always feels up for it day after day.

With talk of April/May for races from TR the other day, I think I'll postpone any official return to 5k sessions and have another strava seg freestyle sesh tomorrow.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - your 12 wk (?) 5k plan would take you well into April, so would be ideal as it wouldnt have too much volume?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I suppose it's a mix of it probably feels odd to start it up in January, so taking the chance for a week or 2 of more fun stripped back stuff as well.

I've never done this plan over 12 weeks before, I've tended to do it two sessions a week. So will have to weigh that up.
    The first 8 sessions tend to come out well, and the last 4 ask a lot!

Tomorrow I think I'll do similar to last week. Seek out a small ish number of segments 2-3miles away, then do the trip back on a 10x1min on, and off type bit of fartleky style.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, ive eased off slightly since my CV19, and an running 6 days/wk and a turbo session on a Sunday. Reduced the mlr a bit, maxed the long run out at 16 to18 and im now mid 60s instead of 80mpw. If it looks like Dorney mara will go ahead after all, ill up the mlrs to 13 to 15 and up the long run for a few weeks.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The lockdown and single run limit certainly doesn't help a decent schedule for most people. I know you tend to be a singler at all times, but one run 8-9m every day isn't my ideal.

However, keeping it fresh and different will help, and before we know it we'll be out of lockdown at least, and can get on about moaning about doing super windy Dorney turnouts. We just need to remember how we were longing even for those and not take them for granted!

Right, 5 potential segs mapped out, will see how they look and feel tomorrow.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    8miler today then, with a crack at 5 segs.

Freezing cold day, gloves, 2 layers job, so wondered how this would translate into trying to monster around.
    Really slow dribble up the 300 feet hill at the start, walked a little bit near the top in fairness - don't waste that energy :)

Couple of segs around 0.4m that needed to beat 5.11 and 5.24 pace.
    Former, took it down to 5.00 dead, and second one, I'd tied in the summer into wind, so knew I should take that down. Oddly there seem to be 2 identical segments - one hidden, so that was 3 banked!

Next was a half mile of the park. Should be smashing this one as it only needed about 5.41 pace. But I either attempt it in strong wind, or like today, boggy mud, so rucked that right off mid way:)

4th one was 0.45m, slight down bias, and only needed about 5.45. That should be comfy I thought. Bit of a dodgy sharp turn at the end - but still.

1 second off, and in 3rd :D 

Last one was optimistic. Some maniac has a 0.25m seg at 5.13 pace. Sounds  very comfy -but it has a 40 feet climb, most of it in the last 1/3.
    Managed to get a 2nd at least for 5.24 pace - but legs had gone by 3/4 in!

5x1min efforts thrown in late on - so 8 miles and 43miles so far this week.
    Will again weigh up whether to bother with a 4 tomorrow to squeeze over the 60 when adding LSR, or just take a rest day.