Options

Friday 22nd January 2021 They were summoned from the hillside

Morning!

Lyrics: They were summoned from the hillside,
They were called in from the glen,

Good news on the central heating, Els/OH

Yesterday's were Amazing Grace, which was sung at Joe Biden's inauguration. As it is from the 1770s there is no original recording!

What: see what I can do this pm

Why: icy, hoping that the water will recede a little more, watching cricket this morning.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options
    Further to yesterday's photo, below are the "before" and "after" photos: 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Morning

That looks very wet Ale - is that a decent river bank between you and the water then?  Take care.  What was the PM doing up your way? 

Hallelujah to the heating OH and Els.  About time too.

I'm not really following a plan at the moment chicksta, I wanted to get back into P&D style without overdoing the long runs but I feel I need to build up to those LT runs.  Can imagine that it is better to do it interval style and get the distance done than try to do the whole lot in one go and abort.  I could of course try to slow down a bit...

Glad you got in a decent walk yesterday LMH.  How long do you have potentially before you can ditch the sling?  Couple more weeks?

Agree on a couple of easy days Dustin - don't break yourself.

What: recovery
    Why: two hard runs in a row Wednesday and Thursday so need at least one easier day
    Last hard: yesterday's just MLR (10.x miles) - unnecessarily hard after Wednesday's speed.  It wasn't so much the hills (350+ m) but the poor conditions underfoot meaning I was slipping sliding and stumbling for quite a bit in the woods - with and without the Jaks.
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • Options
    Morning.

Floods receding here alehouse - hope it's the same for you. Slippery in places but the sun is out.

You are putting in some good miles Hazel. I can go without the sling for periods in the house, not sure about ditching it permanently but have a phone call from the physio Wednesday morning.

Good heating news Els/OH.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Morning again!

Whilst the river level is dropping, LMH, the standing water between me and the river doesn't seem to have moved very much at all. Not really anywhere for it to go as the ground was already saturated. 
    Hazel: the river bank has two levels which are usually sufficient protection but not on this occasion. There is then quite a steep rise before my road, fortunately. One of my neighbours has been here over 70 years and she says it has never got more than half way up the rise.
    Re the PM, last year he was heavily criticised for not visiting flood struck areas of Yorkshire for six days so presumably he was trying to score a few brownie points by doing the right thing. Presumably he can travel for work purposes, Els

And you seem to be training well, Hazel!
  • Options
    Same here alehouse - I think it will be weeks before some of the standing water has gone. Just as well I'm not trying to find places to run.
  • Options
    Afternoon!

Managed to find 50 minutes of largely off road running, although had to take a few diversions. Better than I thought!
    And a decent stretch!

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Ale - cracking photos, hopefully you are keeping safe
    OH/Els - Heating!!! YAY!!!
    Hazel - good MLR. I know what you mean, even the easy runs offroad are hard at the moment.
    LMH - fingers crossed for physio on Weds

What - easy run
    Why - back off Friday, absorbing the sensible advice of the Forum to take it easy!
    (look at me being all grown up!)
    Last rest - 10/10
    Last hard - Yesterday
    Long work day yesterday, didn't get a chance to get out and was stuck to the monitor for over 10 hours. Headed out (in darkness) at 5:45 and after a couple of easy miles, cruised along at MP (8s), finished with a mile or so easy. Glad to have got out.
    Today was about 6.5 miles on a trail/road mix. Had to break the ice on several puddles in the woods and there was still spots of ice on the roads. Easy paced though, legs feeling a bit better.
    Around 100k to go this month on the virtual Pennine Way (70 miles). After a long run on Sunday, next week may only need to be a 50 miler!

• Options
    Dustin, well done, virtual Spine is getting there!
    Adjusting to warmer house, though the temp has dropped again was v cosy last night. 
    Much drier brighter day here but cold wind, wimped out of going up the hill the soggy way and went on the main trail which was dryish.
    Hope Didsbury and Derby drying out a bit.
    Hazel, you seem to do a lot of hard runs, I've not done anything very hard this week apart from Monday which was wind hindered!
  • Options
    Glad you were able to find somewhere to run alehouse.

Well done Dustin. I wish I could see the physio but such is life.

Colder here today Els but no rain which is good.