Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Regarding my attempt yesterday,I don't know why I attempted a hard 1:30ish climb when the most I'd done was 1hr,but it said my FTP moved from 170 to 205,so presume that's good?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Definitely Ian.  An increase in FTP is great!  I think some can go harder on the hills and generate more power compared to on the flat.  Something about the gradient makes pushing the pedals harder (maybe even forcing you to stand up on the pedals), and that generates more power.  It's different for different people as I think some can stand and climb for quite a long time, whereas others are better or more efficient at pushing the pedals sitting down.  A rider's weight comes into it too - very generally, a heavier rider can generate more absolute power, which is why power to weight ratio comes into it in real life and also in Zwift.  But of course, lugging a heavier rider up a gradient takes work which is why in the pro tour the climbers tend to be smaller (less muscle) than the sprinters (full of muscle).

Not sure if you've seen, but Steve Way has been getting into Zwift in a big way.  He went up AdZ in 39-mins the other day.  He's Cat A and riding extremely well, having hardly ridden much at all before lockdown.  Makes me wonder if he's got plans for a duathlon or something as he is still running too (I don't think he swims).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rest day for me today.   Looks like there's some ice outside where the rain hasn't dried up so probably just as well I had decided not to run today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I woke up to a frost as well, Shades, but the roads were dry here so I went out.  I opted for my trail shoes and headed straight up hill to my favourite hilly trail route, and it was glorious out there.  It was crisp, but the sun was out and in some cases the sun was warming up the frost on the fields, leaving a mist over them.  Made me really glad to be out there.  After coming back down to the sea I added a bit on, taking it up to 12 for the day.  I wanted to add a few more 2hr runs into the mix, so this was one of those finishing in 1:59:37 (I didn't know this until I stopped my watch as I don't have time displayed on the watch when I'm MAFing).

Again, Fetch alerted me to another fastest "Fetch Mile".  I have a mile that is slightly down hill, but mainly undulating, with about 1/4 on the trail, with the rest on the road.  Previous best time from August was 8:13, whereas today I did it in 7:42 at my MAF HR.

I really do think it's the cycling that is helping me with all this.  Since I've started Zwfiting in December, I've done 46hrs hours on the bike.  I don't know how much of that will be in Z1/Z2, but I'd say a good 80%.  I've also done 44hrs running in that time period, but basically the hours on the bike are extra to what I would have done in terms of aerobic exercise.  In my mind, the riding is the only major difference between now and last year when I was running well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a great run from you today.

My road is on a gentle hill so usually dries quickly but although the sun is out now the shaded side of the street has only just de-iced.
    Yellow warning for ice all weekend here so unless it dries up not much running for me for a couple of days.

Car insurance done, I've switched provider so yesterday's question irrelevant.   With optimism I've put 5k annual mileage, hopefully for races later in the year.   :)
  • I took a rest yesterday as the run I did on Wednesday left me tired (although I did walk 6 miles). I thought conditions today would be better as it was not windy, but when I looked out of the window there was a lot of frost on the rooves. I thought the streets would be OK as it was above freezing (2 degrees) but I was wrong. My plan was to jog up to the loop at the top of Streatham Common - the one I found on Wednesday - then do a 5K around there and jog back home. 
    On the way there, most pavements were fine, but there were patches of frost and the odd bit of ice in places. Once I got to the loop, I stopped my watch and had a look. The loop itself was quite frosty and, with it being on a slope, I didn't trust it so I had to abort my mission and jog home again. Covered 6 miles but not what I was hoping for.
    Not sure I'll manage it tomorrow either as it's even colder, but sometimes you can have zero degrees and no frost, or warmer than that with a lot of frost. Guess I will have to wait and see.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry to hear you had to shorten your run today.   Frustrating trying to find safe footing and not at all enjoyable.

It's wait and see for me too tomorrow.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry you had to stop your run, Cal.  Very frustrating :(  

Shades, it's a rest day from running for me tomorrow but Sunday's conditions don't look great in terms of it being "Gusty winds and hail showers", according to the Beeb.

Ordered some scallops from a place nearby called "Boat to Door".  We bought some fresh fish from them back in the summer, and it's one of those businesses that has reacted to the pandemic and expanded their business with free deliveries, online ordering etc.  Really good quality, fresh fish, well packed in an ice box, vacuum packing available if required and decent prices too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, Sunday looks the worse conditions for running, sleet and a feels like temp of -2 here.  Yellow ice warnings for 3 days.   We didn't have an ice warning for today and lots of accidents.  Anyway I've no particular mileage or specific sessions planned so will do what I can. 

I have told myself that if I can't run in the morning I'll do another glute session 😭
    Was drying up nicely here and now it's rained which will freeze.

Scallops, lovely.  Better you have them than sending them to the EU.   ;)
  • Big G - That's the nickname of one of the presenters (Moose = Julian Spence), it's his take on the classic Mona Fartlek workout.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well that stomach problem looks like it was a bug of some description,had headaches today and stomach issues are still there,typical I was only on a short week this week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hope you recover quickly.   At least it will probably help with the weight loss.   ;)

Had an email to say the Marathon des Sables is postponed until the autumn.  Not sure how I'm on their mailing list, there's more chance of me winning the lottery than ever doing that event.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    No run for me this morning as we have ice  😭   No great surprise. 

Did a 50 minute workout all on glutes, I was in pieces at the end, running is so much easier.   The only time I do workout at home willingly is if it's first thing in the morning when I would normally run.

Here's the link for the Hoka 100km world record attempt later today, starts at 3pm GMT

PROJECT CARBON X 2 | HOKA (hokaoneone.eu)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done for doing that workout session, Shades.  Shame about not being able to run - it looks lovely out there now.

I had a bit of a lie in and did 1hr20 on the bike and enjoyed it.  OH is off today and we're going for a walk shortly and aiming to get back to watch the start of that Hoka event.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Big G - they've already started in the Hoka event, I guess they didn't actually know what GMT was.   Doesn't matter, it's the latter stages that will be interesting.

Course looks good, flat and smooth tarmac.

Weather lovely here now too.   But I was already cooking lunch when the pavements finally thawed.   I'm not too bothered about missing a few runs, it's not as if I have an event coming up  :/

Forecast is for snow at 3am so if it's a decent amount I might be able to run while the snow is fresh.  But I expect we'll get rain/sleet and it may freeze, we'll see.
  • 9 miles today. Couldn’t run yesterday as was too busy with work and tomorrow’s weather means I won’t go out then either so this has turned into a bit of a recovery week which is fine after record mileage last week. I’ve realised I’ve been kidding myself about the likelihood of my mara in March so I’m going to relax about the whole thing and not get too stressed about missing runs etc... 

I’ve turned on the hoka race in the background, seems to be minimal focus on the women which is weird. 
  • A quick peak out of the window just as it was getting light revealed no frost, but I decided to wait a little and when I looked again a little later, the daylight revealed that a puddle on the roof was completely iced over. Oh dear.
    So I decided to wait until midday for my run. It was still very cold but the underfoot conditions were better. Unfortunately, there were also a lot more people out and about which meant I had a bit of dodging to do. 
    I spent the first three miles warming up, but with it being a bit later, I was already quicker (down to longer stride) so they went 10:38/10:08/9:46 before I pushed on to tempo pace. First of the three tempo miles was the quickest at 8:20 due to some gentle downhill, while the other two came in at 8:38 and 8:30. I did an extra .11 so I could use the last bit for my club's weekly virtual 5K which added up to 26:24. Obviously I can do a lot better than that, but it's actually not too bad for where I'm at at the moment, with several niggles and a boatload of stress. So I'll take it.
    I'm thinking I will do a MLR tomorrow rather than a long run - weather looks to be cold and potentially icy again, and my bod definitely needs an easier week.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I think Carla is leading the ladies. Camille looks like she’s limping but not sure if she always runs like that. Jim just looks like he’s jogging!  
  • Camille does run like that, she's got some physical idiosyncrasies which she has adapted to. Good to see Carla looking strong.
  • The bit about the donuts is true...she put a photo of them on Strava along with her run yesterday.  :D
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you're right, there is no point about stressing about missed runs.

Cal - so hard to see sometimes if road is wet or black ice.   Glad you could get out for a decent run.  The folk around later really puts me off doing that.

Big G - I think I remember reading that Camille always runs like that, awful running style but it certainly works for her. 

Carla is doing well and looks like she's really enjoying herself.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal/Shades, the commentator said earlier that Camille is usually a quick finisher so that could be a great race I think.  Early stages yet, of course.
  • Interesting to look at Jim Walmsley’s Strava. He peaked at 160mpw for this 3 weeks ago. That’s really just an incredible amount
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Jim has speeded up now, he's got a long loping stride.

160mpw is some training mileage.

I must say the shoes look nice, would match my club race colours which are red and black.   I think 5mm might not be suitable for me for racing though.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Jim is knocking out consistent 18:15 5ks,looks really good through 70k
    Quick 6.5m today was all I could fit in.
  • 1min under WR with 30mins to go 😬
  • Poor Jim - really felt for him.
    Epic moustache on Brown in third.
  • Gutting for him. Such an exciting finish. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It was an unbelievable finish. Gutted for him, but he’s already saying he’s hoping to give it another go.   
  • 5:56 pace for 62 miles is just mind-boggling.  I really hope he has another go. He had a disaster at western states his first two times around and came back to get the record so he has previous with this kind of thing!