Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It's not a limit SG - it's guidance.

The legislation states a "should" for once a day exercise rather than a "must". Legally this leaves the decision down to the individual, much like in the Highway Code. The main difference is, if you were involved in an accident on the road having ignored a "should" in the HC, then the presumption of liability would be on you.

It's difficult to see how that could be transferred to, say doing a 6 and 4 double rather than an 8 or 10 mile run. What would the liability been in the absence of someone proving you had given them Covid on one of those runs, or ended up using valuable NHS resources by injuring yourself on the second one?  Peer pressure is another issue however....
  • Yes I suppose i'd go out twice a day and have no qualms - but that's just running on my own knowing I won't infect anyone. But I suppose if you broke your ankle on a second run..then the guilt would start..Just lie and say it was your first run!

Did the 35 hard, 25 jog yesterday, until the last 3 reps where my guts started going awry and had to leg it home! Very slippy 5m this morning.

Anyone watch the drone thing I posted? Said track is still packed with bloody dog walkers.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    That's the gist Simon - we know it's generally low risk, but one reason this whole mess has dragged on is the people less wise than us utter geniuses on here, doing what they decide is low risk, which isn't actually :)

Saw a news report that a wedding with 400 guests was shut down the other day. You have to laugh!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:

Anyone watch the drone thing I posted? Said track is still packed with bloody dog walkers.

I'd suggest a way to clear that track post haste, but I believe we have lady lurkers these days, so best not ;)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    What drone thing? Have I missed something?

Dire run today - legs like lead and no energy. No idea why, after an easy week last week.
  • The Bus said:
    What drone thing? Have I missed something?

Dire run today - legs like lead and no energy. No idea why, after an easy week last week.

Yes I can nearly see the track out of my office window. There's a little drone clip - if you stop it on 20 secs, I live in the houses in the bottom right, with the track central.

The lake (when not flooded) is at the end of the clip on the left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFWRIUSWFs

You skim reading my posts then ;)

• Stevie G said:
    SCoombes2 said:

I'd suggest a way to clear that track post haste, but I believe we have lady lurkers these days, so best not ;)

Not going to DEFCON ONE yet ;)
  • Nice segging SG.
    Back to my local hilly loop today. 9.4M mostly easy effort with 2 harder bits. 1st was a 375ft climb over 0.78 miles. Took my PR down by 30s but still only averaged 9:46 min/mile however it moved me up to 6th on the leaderboard. Need to find another 22s to move into 2nd but an insane 95s to take the CR! 2nd was a 0.42M climb but, although the legs felt good, I was 6s slower than 3 days ago when I managed to get 9th. 
    49M in 5 runs Mon-Fri. 
    More significantly though I’m now just 600m from climbing Everest again this month. Should get there on Sunday’s LR.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds a dreadfully steep one Jools!

There's a mad seg down our way that is basically up a steep grassy bank to a Mausoleum.
    100+ feet job over 0.07m. 24.2% hill.

Our own Bus holds 3rd place with mid 15miling pace!

A guy took it down to a ...ferocious 10min miling this year,  in a 9miler all at 9.30 pace! 1,500 feet elevation in there, but still an 8min off the clock rest.

Having done a segment quite close to there, and had to stop midway for a lie down, I can understand that!

I do try and avoid hill segs as a rule. The effort versus reward does seem badly weighed up, rather than monstering flat ones hard.
  • This is the first part of my local Murder Mile equivalent https://www.strava.com/segments/10879329 CR just inside 16 min/mile 🤣
  • 8 miles at lunchtime yesterday in blustery conditions. 5m fartlek tonight with hail and sleet (now snow!). Heart rate several beats down from where it was from similar runs a couple of weeks ago, so the aerobic fitness is coming back.

Massive climbing Jooligan! Reminds me anyone use the Elevate Chrome extension on Strava ? I’m struggling to get it to sync my data...

• I don't know how you do it Jools!

The Bus said:
    It's not a limit SG - it's guidance.

The legislation states a "should" for once a day exercise rather than a "must". Legally this leaves the decision down to the individual, much like in the Highway Code. The main difference is, if you were involved in an accident on the road having ignored a "should" in the HC, then the presumption of liability would be on you.

It's difficult to see how that could be transferred to, say doing a 6 and 4 double rather than an 8 or 10 mile run. What would the liability been in the absence of someone proving you had given them Covid on one of those runs, or ended up using valuable NHS resources by injuring yourself on the second one?  Peer pressure is another issue however....
    Bus, it's not legislation at all, there's no mention of it in the so called lockdown law. Basically you're supposed to stay at home unless you have a reasonable excuse to go out. Separate to that is some 'guidance' where there's mention of what that might look like for the hard of thinking but I'd imagine you don't need the Loophole Lawyer to get your case thrown out if you get caught on your 10th run of the day.

I suspect the government knows the power of propaganda and coercion is much more powerful than any flaky laws they've illegitimately rushed through.

I actually don't accept there's a material breaking of these rules, in fact I am astounded by the level of compliance, with 10 million people out working and functioning as normal, do we really think that any of the minor infractions amplified in the media are the reason mother nature does its thing? It's just a slight of the hand so nobody strings the government up for it's failings, such as the woefully inadequate NHS and all the money they've spunked on tracking and tracing, stupid apps and whatever other pointless crap they've come up with to give the illusion they're taking action.

Lunch ride today, rather pleasant out.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Keep up the iconoclastic posts Reg. I’m not sure I agree with all of it but that one’s bang on.  
    Muddy I synced my data to Elevate but it took a long long time. Maybe 3 weeks or more cause after 50(?)activities it had to wait 24 hrs to continue. Got there in the end. Think I went away got 10 days mid-sync & it picked back up no problem. Not sure why I bothered now as I hardly ever look at it. Liked having it as a Strava enrichment but now it’s separate I don’t tend to visit.
    I felt a bit hard done by today: beautifully sunny whilst I was working. Got changed & out the door the moment I’d finished just in time for the rain which got heavier then became sleet  :s

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Reg; just to clarify, I presume you mean woefully inadequately funded NHS, not that the NHS itself or their personnel are in any way inadequate. Funding yes agree totally, but not the staff; they have been heroic and stoical in the face of atrocious treatment by the govt throughout. Also agree why worry about how much exercise we do when so many people who could easily work at home are not, 1/3rd of kids still go to school each day (most not the kids of 2 key workers I suspect), nursery schools still open, loads of non essential shops still open, effective border controls non-existent and track and trace has all but been given up on. 

Oh yes running; elevation numbers from the thread stalwarts both impress and scare me, so went for a long run on the Thames Path (Weybridge to Hampton Court and back) and elevated under 10m in 20k! Longest run since W'ham HM last Feb. Took 1'32 without trying too hard so happy with that and a 4'33 av k pace. 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Pete, what I mean is that the economic and social damage caused by the governments restrictions is justified almost exclusively on the contention that the NHS is about to be overwhelmed. We only have to go back to the 2018 flu season to find another winter where the NHS was seemingly in crisis. Instead of hiding in our homes and wasting borrowed money on expensive gimmicks, we should be building state of the art flexible hospitals, investing in medical science and encouraging the students into the medical profession instead of locking them in their halls where they're probably just masturbating and playing fortnite (sorry don't know what girls do). It's a time to quickly admit mistakes, learn lessons and build to the future not tell lies and govern through political expediency.

Good work on that long run. I better go to sleep or tomorrow longish run isn't going to happen for me!

• Any semi-sensible person can create a plan to deal with a range of conditions. As that range increases, the cost goes up.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but a few years I could have sworn I regularly got into a long bus which served drinks and meals and when I got off I was in North America. I did such at this time of year and the guy I sat next to was the mayor of a small town in Ontario, Canada (I was flying into Detroit to work with the car companies). he spent 80% of his budget on snow ploughs (though he said plows and they are supposed to be a colony). We had just had a dusting of snow in the UK and everything came to a halt. Those snowploughs sit idle for the majority of the year but it is economically viable to do so as the consequences of not having them outweighs that cost.

We could easily add excess capacity for both medical infrastructure and staff but it has a cost. It is easy to sit here and say the money we are spending paying to keep people wanking in the spare room (see, the inclusive term) on furlough could be spent on hospitals, doctors and nurses but it isn't a tap you can turn on instantly. 

No political party can win an election with a manifesto that promises to invest heavily in the future (so does the sensible things like investing in low and zero-carbon technology) but delivers short-term austerity. Everyone would like to think that they would vote for such but when the crunch comes they want jam today and not caviar tomorrow.

We need a complete mindset change in the people to take a long term view and then they will elect a government to implement that. I also work with Japanese companies and they have a 100-year plan. The US motor industry doesn't know what it is having for dinner.

Obligatory running reference: I did a road variant of SG's Winter Hill route and SG may enjoy it. I parked at the track and ran into Marlow, over Marlow Bridge, alongside Longridge and up through Quarry Wood and then left at the top to go over Winter Hill and down into Cookham down Terrys Lane. Over Cookham Bridge and then back through Bourne End etc on the main road back to the track. Just over 9 miles in total and a wonderful downhill section in the middle. No mud :smile:  

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I thought it was part of UK Statutory Instrument number 1374 Reg, but could be wrong and can't immediately find it!

I don't disagree with much of what you said though.  

Even if you accept the gvt strategy though, I just don't understand the rationale for extending a lockdown to all once the most vulnerable etc have been vaccinated. There must come a point where the balance of negative effects of the lockdown outweigh the benefits, regardless of where your starting point on the issue is...

Philip - that sounds like a nice route. Don't you go getting stopped by the boys in blue though - who know what the definition of local is! :smiley:
  • The Bus said:
    Philip - that sounds like a nice route. Don't you go getting stopped by the boys in blue though - who know what the definition of local is! :smiley:
    I'm sure I'm breaking every law: many of my runs start in Bucks and then wander into the depths of the county that shall not be named (but that includes Slough) or into Oxfordshire. I've been done a run through all 3.

Bus, you up for some legal, government-approved, one-on-one outside action sometime next week? My calendar is empty all Friday.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Er, I'm assuming you mean running as that description is open to interpretation :smiley:  Sounds good - I think I might actually have Friday afternoon off, but will check the work calendar...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd stumbled onto the David Icke forums for a second
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:

Bus, you up for some legal, government-approved, one-on-one outside action sometime next week? My calendar is empty all Friday.
    Or maybe some sort of dogging forum  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Will have to have a snifty of the route you mentioned Phil.
    I once totally messed up doing the Winter Hill in Marlow days as part of the 9mile "predictor" event, and ended up going up a road version of Winter Hill.

When races are ever back again it might be worth a look at doing the Down Flow up Tow or whatever it's called. The type of race I'd have never bothered with previously, but maybe worth a look.

Anyway, another Saturday 4miler today. Just a little ticking over, adding a little bit of mileage to make up for losing a few miles through singles this week.
    Up woody hills, out of the woods - flat road, steep down road, and back.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Lost a seg today.
    Apparently some middle aged fella has put in a 4.32 paced 600m amongst a 5k at 8.30 average.
    That's a fairly decent speed there, equivalent of about a 67sec 400m for 50% longer on a pavement.
    Graph shows him hitting 1.52 pace at one part of it, so I think that concludes it's dodge :D 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    GPS error probably..flagged?

God, I am so BORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Of course  :p 
    If anyone is taking my segs they need to earn them!

Get some netflix or something on.
    This period would be so much harder without the streaming sites and so much footy on (for me, I know you hate it!)

Managed to park some holiday into the next work year. Hoping there's some stuff to take it for by summer.
    Some sort of epic 40th bday week or two touring random places for races would be the ideal.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    There's only so much Netflix I can cope with! On Narcos "Mexico" now, but it's not a daytime watch!

Biggest dose of CBA ever today as well, which isn't helping the boredom levels. I can't even be bothered to make my normal Saturday pizza or go for a walk! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be human if you didn't have days like that.
    I expect very few runners relentlessly get out every single day, week, year and are always bang up for it!

• I take your point Phil, I would though, rather they had spent the billions shaken from Rishi's magic money tree on the NHS infrastructure and training for example rather than mitigating against the economic self-harm and 'world-beating' gimmicks. As for the £500 quid for a positive test, well you couldn't make it up could you.

Just under 10 mile trudge today, I really couldn't be bothered, so glad to have it in the bank. Do a Jigsaw Bus!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Our house is full of jigsaws, so I could - my daughter has done about 20 1000 piece ones over Christmas. 

I struggle with sitting still though (unless drinking!) :smile:

Went for a walk to the shops to get a chocolate croissant, moved some rotting sandbags and swept some leaves - exciting times :smile:
  • Should’ve gone for a run Bus.
    Lie-in this morning to let the sun melt the worst of the ice then 17.8M setting off just after midday took care of most of the day for me. Came home & cooked up a massive bowl of tagliatelle with chorizo, 🌶, cheese & onion. Now listening to my mate doing a live stream DJ set from his basement with a hot chocolate & whisky. Just 80m left to climb tomorrow for Everest No1 in 2021
    My runs inevitably involve crossing county lines & can easily cross into Wales too. 🤫