tips on upping from 10k to half marathon in 1.5,months :-|||COL|||

13»

Comments

• I did my first one after just 2 10ks and then running pretty much around an injury with hardly any training!
  • how do i write my own post?
  • The best way to improve as a runner, is to run more. But the way you do this is where you can either improve or go wrong. When training for any event (the marathon is slightly different) you need some ‘under-distance’ training and ‘over-distance’ training. E.g. you need some faster training to build your speed endurance, and you need some longer slower training to build your aerobic endurance. I’d suggest between 1-3 sessions per week, with easy running in between. So this could look something like the following:

Mon - Easy run
    Tue - interval session (quick, under-distance reps)
    Wed - Easy run
    Thu - rest day
    Fri - Tempo or hill session
    Sat - Easy run
    Sun - Over-distance long run

Your overall training structure will need to be different to someone else’s. Your natural ability, age, previous training history, injury / medical history and current fitness all need to be considered. You should definitely take some consideration of a target time you want to achieve, this way you will have a centre point of your training and you can dictate your various sessions to suit this goal. <div>
    </div><div>All the best with your training. Be patient, don’t rush and most importantly take your easy days easy! If you would like any further help you can find us at newerarunningcoaching.com 
     </div>
  • Long slow runs, a little bit of speed work. See how you feel on the day and don’t go out too fast
  • Ok, a quick question on the subject from a relative newbie. I have been running regularly for 18 months. Have done a few 10ks, which I can do pretty comfortably in under 55 mins.Inguess I run about 12-15 miles a week
    I wouldn’t mind having a crack at a ( gentle) half marathon, but am a bit concerned about my knees. I’m 59, and although they never give me any trouble when running, there is a bit of residual creakiness afterwards which is just a little concerning,I am keen not to make them worse, so tend to keep my distances down ,and try to vary the surfaces I run on. Anybody got thoughts about training for a HM, whilst protecting my knees ? I’d rather look after them so that I continue to enjoy the running I am doing , but I’m still tempted by a HM !!
    Incidentally, I think the knees are better with regular running that they were before I started. Oh, and just because there aren’t any runners about to share with, I managed a 5K pb of 23.50 today, which I am pleased with ,esp on a blustery Feb morning :smile:
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi Teamsaint - it sounds as if you've a good degree of base fitness already. I'm not that far behind you in terms of age and do HMs and so far not had any issues with my knees. I'd suggest, if you're tempted to do a HM, finding a decent training plan. A plan will ensure you're building yourself up effectively and not putting too much strain on things too early. And, of course, listen to your body.
  • > @Guarddog said:
    > Hi Teamsaint - it sounds as if you've a good degree of base fitness already. I'm not that far behind you in terms of age and do HMs and so far not had any issues with my knees. I'd suggest, if you're tempted to do a HM, finding a decent training plan. A plan will ensure you're building yourself up effectively and not putting too much strain on things too early. And, of course, listen to your body.

Thanks GD, that sounds sensible advice. I think I’ll find a decent training prog, build it up gently over the spring and see how it goes. Not too many confirmed events to even aim at as yet, but that is nothing new now, after a year of lockdown.
  • KryptoKrypto ✭✭
    Going to piggy back on here and look for some advice:

I started a couch to 5k program a while back ,and I should be starting the final week of it now. The plan always had me run 3 times a week and this week should be (walk 5 min, run 30 mins) x3.

On Saturday I went out for the last run of the previous week (walk 5, run 28) but I was running 5k in those 28 mins and always felt like I could go do it again afterwards. I was breathing heavy after the 28mins but not exhausted. Anyways, on Saturday I figured I'd run to a friends house, turn around and come back. He lives like 3 miles from me, so with some zig zagging near the end I did 10k in 58mins. It was slower than twice my 5k runs, but I felt no more tired than I usually do after my 5k runs.

All good so far.

But what do I do now?

I have a HM scheduled for October 3rd, which should be plenty time. Do I find a 5k to 10k program, or do I find a 10k to HM program, or do I just run a few 5ks a week and a 10k at the weekend for a month or so, then start training for the HM with a better base level?

For what it's worth I typically run in a "fasted" state, I hate running with a full stomach, so I usually run before, or skip breakfast. I guess I should work on changing that for a HM?
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi Krypto - it might be worthwhile checking out some of the online HM training plans. Most will start off from about 12 weeks before the event - which would mean starting in mid July. If memory serves me correctly the training plan will generally cater for doing 3 to 4 runs a week split into easy/recovery runs, speedwork such as intervals, progressions and Fartleks and what is known as a long slow run - with that run building up in time on feet over the course of the plan.

Before that you can start to increase the amount of time you're spending on your feet for your 3 runs a week and gradually build up your base endurance. 

Hope that helps.
  • I have a general question about running, but I'm not able to create a thread as I'm a newbie, so i thought I'll post it here to ask for some advice. Would really appreciate some tips :smile:

1) How many times a week must I run and how fast should I run for a beginner runner to see result? My threshold pace is currently 7min per km. for 2.4km, my average timing is currently 15min30sec.

2) How many months would I take to hit a sub 11min timing for 2.4km? assuming slow to normal growth and not physically talented for running.