Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Jools - both on the run today and the early Everesting (which is a bit of a misnoma - should be never-resting!!)!   Are there not heavily armed border guards and a ten foot high razor wire fence along the border then?!

I was avoiding running to save my legs for tomorrow given the state of them yesterday!  I'm hoping for some nice snow to run in  - fingers crossed :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Snow and the ensuring weeks of dangerous ice would just about top off this start to the year wouldn't it!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Depends on your perspective SG - I love a bit of snow, and ice is better than this endless mud :smiley:

• The local forecast was snow moving in at about 10am so I started my run at about 7:45 with the sun just rising. The first mile was an ice rink and I was having second thoughts but I soon hit dry roads so the middle part was fine. I got about 9 or 10 miles into a 12 miler before it started to come down quickly. I had planned a road route and so it was a couple of miles back on the roads, mostly OK other than the climb up Honor End Lane into Prestwood which didn't seem to have been gritted and an inch or so of snow had quickly fallen to make grip a little challenging in road shoes.

The worst part was driving back: roads full of idiots who hadn't heeded the stay at home warnings.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I waited until there was plenty of snow to run on :smiley:

14 hilly miles done - pretty knackered now!
  • I built an igloo for three hours and then ran to the shop to get my wife some butter to bake a cake!

• Good stuff chaps.
    I woke to a couple of inches of snow so waited til midday(ish) again before heading out to complete my personal climbing challenge. Still plenty of the white stuff on the lanes but the main roads were clear. Think the Mudclaws were a good choice though. Felt appropriate to be (virtually) summitting Everest in the snow. Just an undulating 13.4M today but still overshot by 200m 😄 
    Hopefully tomorrow’s forecast sunshine clears the roads or else they’ll be lethal.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The worst part was driving back: roads full of idiots who hadn't heeded the stay at home warnings.
    Yep. Carers or emergo workers aside, you'd have to be a halfwit to be driving in today's conditions  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hadn't expected the snow to be honest, as Dashers have a "snow predictor" called Guy who is always wrong. So him being adamant on snow made me think there was no chance.

Therefore, just thought I'd take it comfortably, and see how the roads were and just do some laps of parks to pad it out.

First 4miles or so were horrible snow in eyes but generally ok, 7.30 or so for 13.
    Bit tight in a couple of areas late on, but in fairness that's usual long runs, and not necessarily just down to xc shoes.

I know extended periods in the xc shoes do tighten things up though, so hopefully the snow isn't here for too long.
    Kills the idea of any proper sessions, and make the standard runs feel longer.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps the kids looked to be having fun.
    One of the steep grassy banks near Wooburn park that I've dribbled up a few times makes for a superb toboggan ride, as must be bits of the golf course.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Yep. Carers or emergo workers aside, you'd have to be a halfwit to be driving in today's conditions  :D
    Unless you want to have fun in a 4x4 Panda SG :smile: I'm desperate for someone in the house to find something we absolutely need from the shops, but a bottle of smoothie is stretching it  :wink:
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And it'll al be gone by Tuesday lunchtime.   Careful tomorrow though - minus 6 overnight so anywhere that has had people walking or driving on and gone slushy will be pretty treacherous up until way past midday.....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    And it'll al be gone by Tuesday lunchtime.   Careful tomorrow though - minus 6 overnight so anywhere that has had people walking or driving on and gone slushy will be pretty treacherous up until way past midday.....
    Might have to be one of those laps of the park job.
    Dull but safe.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Trying to remember the last time we had snow like this.
    I remember that weird March, 2018 was it? Surely that wasn't the last time?

The 12 stage relays, Eastleigh 10k and Reading half were all on the same day. And all got snowed off!
    Think that may have been the week I'd taken a bus to work the snow came on madly, and luckily got a lift home from a colleague, as the bus wouldn't have got up that hill on the way back to Beaconsfield services!
    In fairness, even with the colleague, one hour into the drive, we were sat outside the office, having had to turn round ourselves!
  • A LOT of posts! Good to see the thread moving at pace. 

Below average week. Just scraped 50M, with little quality. 

10 buggy miles on Tuesday with 10 x 30s strides. 

Attempt at a 5k hit out yesterday. Had to call in to work in Worcester so thought I’d do laps of a very flat 1200m loop near the river, but floods ruled it out. Headed to the canal instead, and I suppose 19:46 isn’t as  shocking as I first thought, given ice puddle and pedestrian dodging. 

9M with the buggy in the deep snow this morning. Felt things getting tough in the second half before noticing the mud guard on the front wheel was blocked with packed snow and was no longer spinning. A genuine snow plough 🤦. Planned 13 but just couldn’t be bothered. 

Still, cut my own hair this afternoon, so at least running wasn’t the worst result of the week. 

-5 forecast for the morning. Definitely strapping on the the Yak Trax. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    9 miles with a buggy in snow! That sounds a heck of an effort!

• The Bus said:

I struggle with sitting still though (unless drinking!) :smile:

Not buying this Bus - your turbo is next to your beer fridge 😆 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol - that's not sitting still though SQ :smile:  Cracking effort in the snow with a buggy btw!

SG - last big snowfall was end Jan into Feb 2019, when we had a week of the stuff locally...it was the last time I had my Inov-8 Orocs out, with their ice-biting metal dobs!
  • Before & after photos SQ
    Haircut obviously. 🤣
    Thought you must have quit on us SG as you’d not posted earlier 😆
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You joke Jools, but there has been the odd (literally!) bit of criticism when I've very occasionally taken the odd week or 2 posting off.
    Otherwise it's been madly consistent on a thread that's been going nearly 11 years :o 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Day 2 of snow is always harder work than day 1 isn't it. As that snow turns to less certain footing etc.

Put an 8 in, a few laps of 2 parks, with some gentle tip-toing in between.
    Ironically, the one bit I slipped ass over tit on was a bit I didn't for a second think would be an issue, but luckily a landing on snow, albeit some slight grazing.

Probably no harm done if this is a slight cut back week, although the sun is out now, so hopefully we're back to normal by Wednesday or so.
  • Yes managed to stay upright this morning. Good posting all!

Saturday - Ran to the country park with the boy then back on my own, about 8 miles in total. Got changed and did the 5k course again that I did last week, for a virtual competition LBAC were in. Couple of slightly iffy bits, but a bit disappointed not getting under 17..17.06. I suppose as I did 17.16 for the 2nd 5k last week, I could be sub 17 this week. Hey ho.

Interesting 17 miler yesterday, just started snowing when I left - bit different when I got back! Some stupidly heavy snow in parts. Managed to stay upright but really hard on the hammies isn't it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    this is a slight cut back week
    Is that where you grazed yourself then? :smile:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    A very gentle 10.7M today in sunshine & snowy patches. Tougher going as you say SG since the overnight frost makes for a lumpier surface. My L ankle isn’t happy at the moment so that really didn’t help. Easier off road as there were less icy lumps. Another 1800ft climbed though.
    Getting quicker at least SC2 😃
  • ..Not quick enough! Grrr. No races...mutter...lockdown..mutter...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Banter. com from Bus there :)

8.5 today, lucky to have a fairly big park next door, that has a smaller section and then the main loop, with a woody little bit round the back of it too.

So a few small laps, then a few mixed laps round in different directions and round the back eventually got the 8.5 up.
    Safest thing when the roads are in that post snow/starting to thaw/icy road stage.
    More annoying when you're on a set build up to a race, so in lockdown it's not the worst time - it just makes it even duller than doing the same old routes every day becomes :)

Ticked off for another day though. We'll get to the other side one day!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Get yourself some O-Rocs SG :smile:

I only use mine about 2 or 3 times a year on average, but definitely don't regret buying them all those years ago.  The newest version (Arctic Claw) are even better (lighter with more metal dobs and a better general grip) and you can get them for peanuts if you try hard.

Just under 8 miles for me this morning at the crack of dawn. Usual (ish) route over to Hughenden, but with all the mud nicely frozen for once!  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's one of those things isn't it, we have snow so infrequently, that the normal xc shoes do a job trudging round parks for those few days it's necessary.

Thank goodness it's all working from home though. That doesn't half make it easier!
  • Hughenden Pk? 'Lovely' memories of doing the Beds/Bucks county champs over there. That long drag up the side of the field with the road on your left.

Few streams to jump over though?

Another dull 5m this morning...no slips at least.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That’s the one Simon. I probably run up that particular hillside 5 times a week 😊
    There are bridges to avoid the stream but it does help clean some of the mud off if you take the xc route!